Always A Tiger
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
Always A Tiger
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
Always A Tiger
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Always A Tiger

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to learn and talk about their Favorite Baseball Team, as well as just enjoy one another's company.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Leyland likes idea of expanded postseason

Go down 
AuthorMessage
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

Aries Location : Ohio

Leyland likes idea of expanded postseason Empty
PostSubject: Leyland likes idea of expanded postseason   Leyland likes idea of expanded postseason Icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2011 11:31 pm

By Jason Beck / MLB.com | 04/22/11 8:30 PM ET

DETROIT -- Tigers manager Jim Leyland believes some sort of expansion is in store for baseball's postseason, echoing remarks from Commissioner Bud Selig on Thursday. What form it takes, he doesn't know.

Leyland confirmed an expanded postseason has been one of the topics of discussion for Major League Baseball's Blue Ribbon Panel, which has been brainstorming on various ideas to improve the game for more than a year. When they asked Leyland for his opinion, he was in favor of it.

"I like it," Leyland said. "I think the Commissioner explained it. There's a lot of particulars yet that haven't been worked out, but being on that committee, that's been one of the discussions. I think there will be an additional playoff [team]. I'm not exactly sure what the format will be yet.

"I think it's good for baseball, as long as it doesn't get crazy and doesn't get too watered down. It's never going to get to the point where if you just show up, you're in the playoffs. But I think it's good for baseball. There's been no decision made as far as how to do it for sure. They're just throwing a bunch of ideas around. But I think it will be good for baseball. Basically, to me, baseball is like any other business. You try to give your customers what they want."

A good part of the challenge, Leyland said, is how to fit in extra postseason games without stretching the schedule too far into the fall. The last two World Series have had at least one game played in November. This year's schedule was moved up to a March 31 Opening Day in order to help avoid that.

"We're trying to do everything we can to stay out of November baseball," Leyland said, "but that's a lot easier said than done."

Leyland also believes instant replay will eventually be expanded to include judgments of fair or foul balls. Again, though, he has no idea what form it might take.

Jason Beck is a reporter for MLB.com. Read Beck's Blog, and follow him on Twitter @beckjason. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
https://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com

Page 1 of 1