Always A Tiger
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
Always A Tiger
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
Always A Tiger
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Always A Tiger

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to learn and talk about their Favorite Baseball Team, as well as just enjoy one another's company.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

2010 MLB Postseason Schedule**

Go down 
AuthorMessage
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

Aries Location : Ohio

2010 MLB Postseason Schedule** Empty
PostSubject: 2010 MLB Postseason Schedule**   2010 MLB Postseason Schedule** Icon_minitimeWed Oct 06, 2010 11:41 pm

2010 MLB Postseason Schedule** Ps_logo

** subject to change
Click the tickets icon below for tickets.

AL A Division Series
TEXAS WINS SERIES 3-2

_Game_ ___Matchup___ _Day_ _Date_ __Time ET__ __TV__ _Watch_
Gm 1TEX 5 @ TB 1WedOct. 6
2010 MLB Postseason Schedule** Video

Gm 2TEX 6 @ TB 0ThuOct. 7

Gm 3TB 6 @ TEX 3SatOct. 9

Gm 4*TB 5 @ TEX 2SunOct. 10

Gm 5*___TEX 5 @ TB 1Tue___Oct. 12__5:00 PM___2010 MLB Postseason Schedule** Video

AL B Division Series
NYY WINS SERIES 3-0

Gm 1NYY 6 @ MIN 4WedOct. 68:30 PM

Gm 2NYY 5 @ MIN 2ThuOct. 76:00 PM

Gm 3MIN 1 @ NYY 6SatOct. 98:30 PM

Gm 4*
SunOct. 108:00 PMTBS

Gm 5*_________________
Tue___Oct. 12___8:30 PM___TBS______

Last edited by TigersForever on Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:35 am; edited 7 times in total
Back to top Go down
https://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

PostSubject: Re: 2010 MLB Postseason Schedule**   2010 MLB Postseason Schedule** Icon_minitimeWed Oct 06, 2010 11:48 pm

NL A Division Series
PHI WIN SERIES 3-0

Gm 1CIN 0 @ PHI 4WedOct. 6

Gm 2CIN 4 @ PHI 7FriOct. 8

Gm 3PHI 2 @ CIN 0SunOct. 10

Gm 4*
MonOct. 11

Gm 5**___CIN @ PHI______Wed___Oct. 13___6:00 PM___TBS______

NL B Division Series
SF WINS SERIES 3-1

Gm 1ATL 0 @ SF 1ThuOct. 7

Gm 2ATL 5 @ SF 4FriOct. 8

Gm 3SF 3 @ ATL 2SunOct. 10

Gm 4*SF 3 @ ATL 2MonOct. 11

Gm 5*___ATL @ SF______Wed___Oct. 13___9:30 PM___TBS______

Last edited by TigersForever on Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:56 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

PostSubject: Re: 2010 MLB Postseason Schedule**   2010 MLB Postseason Schedule** Icon_minitimeWed Oct 06, 2010 11:58 pm

2010 MLB Postseason Schedule** Tex_plate2010 MLB Postseason Schedule** Nyy_plate
AL Championship Series
TEX WINS AL SERIES

_________Series__ _______Date________ __Network__ __Game Time (ET) _
Game 1 - NYY 6 @ TEX 5Friday, October 15
8:00 PM
Game 2 - NYY 2 @ TEX 7Saturday, October 16

4:00 PM
Game 3 - TEX 8 @ NYY 0Monday, October 18

Game 4 - TEX 10 @ NYY 3Tuesday, October 19
Game 5* - TEX 2 @ NYY 7Wednesday, October 20

Game 6* - NYY 1 @ TEX 6Friday, October 22

Game 7* - NYY @ TEX___________________________TBS________8:00 PM

2010 MLB Postseason Schedule** Sf_plate2010 MLB Postseason Schedule** Phi_plate
NL Championship Series
SF WINS NL SERIES

_________Series__ _______Date_______ __Network__ __Game Time (ET) _
Game 1 - SF 4 @ PHI 3Saturday, October 16
7:30 PM
Game 2 - SF 1 @ PHI 6Sunday, October 17
Game 3 - PHI 0 @ SF 3Tuesday, October 19
Game 4 - PHI 5 @ SF 6Wednesday, October 20
Game 5* - PHI 4 @ SF 2Thursday, October 21
Game 6* - SF 3 @ PHI 2Saturday, October 23

3:30 PM
Game 7* - SF @ PHI________________________FOX________7:30 PM

Last edited by TigersForever on Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:21 pm; edited 10 times in total
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

PostSubject: Re: 2010 MLB Postseason Schedule**   2010 MLB Postseason Schedule** Icon_minitimeThu Oct 07, 2010 12:04 am

2010 MLB Postseason Schedule** Tex_plate2010 MLB Postseason Schedule** Sf_plate

2010 World Series

SF WINS 2010 WORLD SERIES 4 GAMES TO 1

Series____ ____Date____ ____________Match-Up___ __Network__ _Air Time (ET) / WP_
Game 1Wednesday, October 27TEX 7 @ SF 11

Tim Lincecum
Game 2Thursday, October 28TEX 0 @ SF 92010 MLB Postseason Schedule** VideoMatt Cain

Game 3Saturday, October 30SF 2 @ TEX 42010 MLB Postseason Schedule** VideoLewis, SV: Feliz, N
Game 4Sunday, October 31SF 4 @ TEX 02010 MLB Postseason Schedule** VideoBumgarner
Game 5*Monday, November 1SF 3 @ TEX 1

Tim Lincecum
Game 6*----
Game 7*___---------------------------------------Texas at SF________FOX_______-

Last edited by TigersForever on Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:35 am; edited 7 times in total
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

PostSubject: Re: 2010 MLB Postseason Schedule**   2010 MLB Postseason Schedule** Icon_minitimeThu Oct 07, 2010 12:24 am

Poised Lee fans 10 to lead Rangers in Game 1
Lefty goes seven after escaping jam; Cruz, Molina homer
By T.R. Sullivan / MLB.com | 10/06/10 7:27 PM ET

Box >

2010 MLB Postseason Schedule** Tex-tb-g1

ST. PETERSBURG -- The Rangers brushed aside all their postseason inexperience and past playoff ghosts on one afternoon at Tropicana Field.

Surviving an early crisis, then scoring first and having their No. 1 starter just start mowing down the opposition allowed the Rangers to do just that in their first playoff game in 11 years.

Cliff Lee, after pitching out of a bases-loaded jam in the first, held the Rays to one run over seven innings and pitched the Rangers to a 5-1 victory over the Rays in Game 1 of the American League Division Series on Wednesday afternoon. The Rangers will send C.J. Wilson to the mound on Thursday afternoon in Game 2 with a chance to take a 2-0 lead in the best-of-five series back to Arlington.

"It's nice to win Game 1, but we haven't won anything yet," third baseman Michael Young said. "We know what our goal is. We won Game 1, but the series isn't over yet. We're happy with the effort, but now our focus shifts to Game 2. We're not thinking about the overall complexion of the series."

A pair of home runs by Nelson Cruz and Bengie Molina and a pair of RBI doubles by Jeff Francoeur and Vladimir Guerrero led the offensive assault against Rays All-Star left-hander David Price, a 19-game winner during the regular season, and the Rangers snapped a nine-game playoff losing streak dating to 1996.

The Rangers, after Lee's escape, scored two runs in the second off Price, matching the total they scored over six games in the 1998-99 Division Series against the Yankees. Once they did that, Lee did the rest.

"Clifford did what he always does," pitching coach Mike Maddux said. "We've seen that before. Cliff stayed calm and was able to control the pace of the game. Early on, he really showed his mettle. After that, he got on a roll and showed more of the vintage Cliff Lee right there."

Lee allowed five hits, did not walk a batter and struck out 10, most by a Rangers pitcher in a playoff game. Lee is 5-0 with a 1.52 ERA in six playoff starts over the past two seasons.

"I'm not going to get caught up in that," Lee said. "That doesn't mean I'm going to have success the next time. I've still got work to do, still got to continue to do what I do and get absorbed in my routine and focus on what I need to do to prepare for the next time. It's not time to sit here and pat myself on back."

He deserves something just for getting out of the first inning. The Rangers, especially given their past and their relative playoff inexperience, easily could have been rattled right away. Lee did not let that happen.

"I thought the game was won and lost in the first inning when both starters had their backs to the wall," Maddux said.

The Rangers failed to score against Price in the top of the first after a couple of two-out singles by Josh Hamilton and Guerrero. Then the Rays launched their own threat in the bottom of the inning with a leadoff single by Jason Bartlett and a pair of one-out singles by Carl Crawford and Evan Longoria to load the bases. Lee stayed after it.

"There's never going to be a point when I'm on the mound that I feel like it's not going to be my day," Lee said. "If you lose confidence out there, you're in a bad spot, regardless of the situation. You've got to stay positive. You've got to feel like you're going to get out of it, and that's the mentality I had at that point."

Lee's postseason dominance

Cliff Lee is 5-0 with a 1.52 ERA
in six career postseason starts
after his win for Texas in Game
1 of the ALDS on Wednesday.
__Date__ _Opp._ _Dec._ _IP_ _H_ _ER_ _BB_ _K_
10/7/09____ COL___ W_____ 9___ 6__ 1____ 0____ 5
10/12/09 COL ND 7.3 5 1 3 5
10/18/09 LAD W 8 3 0 0 10
10/28/09 NYY W 9 6 0 0 10
11/2/09 NYY W 7 7 5 3 3
10/6/10 TB W 7 5 1 0 10

He did get out of it. One pitch proved huge.

With Carlos Pena at the plate, Lee fell behind 2-and-1 and then threw a fastball high and inside. The pitch appeared to be ball three, but home-plate umpire Tim Welke ruled the ball tipped off Pena's bat as he tried to back away. Pena said the pitch hit him.

"He got hit by the pitch, but they called it otherwise," Rays manager Joe Maddon said.

Countered Maddux, "To the umpire's credit, he got it right. That's a big swing there. Instead of 3-and-1, it's 2-and-2."

Pena ended up striking out looking on a full-count fastball and Rocco Baldelli went down swinging on three straight pitches to end the threat.

"It's not very often you give up three hits in one inning and they don't score," Lee said. "To get out of that with a zero was huge. It was a momentum builder for our team, and our offense responded in the next inning."

The Rangers did. Ian Kinsler led off with a single and scored on a double by Francoeur. Jorge Cantu struck out, but Molina singled to right to bring home Francoeur to make it 2-0.

"I think for us to come out and quiet them early was a big deal," Francoeur said. "If Cliff gives up a couple of runs in that first inning, maybe Price comes out with the same confidence Lee went out with after we scored those two runs in the second. I think the end of the first and the top of the second, you could kind of tell, the dugout went from being nervous a little bit to all of a sudden everyone was having a lot of fun again." Cruz went deep with two out in the third, blasting a 3-0 pitch from Price deep over the center-field wall and off the roof of the Batter's Eye restaurant. The home run was measured at 438 feet.

"That's all I got," Cruz said. "I can't hit a ball any farther than that. But you don't need to hit it that far for it to be gone.

Molina added a home run in the fourth and Guerrero, after Hamilton reached on an error, drove in a run with a double in the fifth. That made it 5-0, and by then, Lee was rolling, mixing mainly his cut fastball with an especially effective curveball. "You know, I have always been a defensive catcher first, so I enjoy every pitcher, but he is amazing," Molina said. "He can go cutter in, curveball away, and he'll get it there. It's a lot of fun being back there. He's a special man."

Lee allowed a double to Ben Zobrist to start the second, then retired the next 12 hitters he faced before B.J. Upton reached on shortstop Elvis Andrus' error in the sixth. Lee's shutout attempt ended when Zobrist hit a one-out home run in the seventh, the first he's ever given up in postseason play.

But that was all the Rays could do against him over seven innings and 104 pitches.

"Beginning of the game he was mainly fastball, just spotting it up," Bartlett said. "And as he got on a roll, he started throwing that curveball in there. That's when he gets tough when he uses all the pitches. Your approach has to change."

Added Zobrist, "He's a great pitcher and he pitched a great game."

T.R. Sullivan is a reporter for MLB.com Read his blog, Postcards from Elysian Fields and follow him on Twitter @Sullivan_Ranger. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

PostSubject: Re: 2010 MLB Postseason Schedule**   2010 MLB Postseason Schedule** Icon_minitimeThu Oct 07, 2010 12:45 am

Doctober! No-no for Halladay in playoff debut
Phillies ace joins Larsen with second postseason no-hitter
By Todd Zolecki / MLB.com | 10/06/10 10:36 PM ET

Box >

2010 MLB Postseason Schedule** Cin-phi-g1

PHILADELPHIA -- Panic washed over Carlos Ruiz as the ball rolled up the length of the bat in front of home plate.

Roy Halladay had pitched a masterpiece through 8 2/3 innings Wednesday night in a 4-0 victory over the Reds in Game 1 of the National League Division Series at Citizens Bank Park. He needed just one more out to become just the second pitcher in baseball history to throw a no-hitter in the postseason, and just the fifth pitcher to throw two no-hitters in the same season.

But as fans roared and waved white rally towels in anticipation of history, Reds second baseman Brandon Phillips hit a 0-2 curveball in front of the plate. Ruiz ripped off his mask and pursued, but the bat landed in fair territory and the ball found it. Ruiz dropped to his knees, picked up the ball and made a perfect throw to first baseman Ryan Howard to beat Phillips to the bag.

Halladay did it.

He made history.

Ruiz and Halladay hugged before teammates mobbed them near the mound.

"I think once it ends, it's a little bit surreal," Halladay said.

It felt surreal hours later with the ballpark empty, the lights turned low and the tarp pulled over the infield. Halladay had watched postseasons past from his home in Florida. He had enjoyed a marvelous career, but the Blue Jays never beat the Yankees, Red Sox or Rays to make the playoffs.

He waived his no-trade contract in December to come to Philadelphia because he felt the Phillies could get him a World Series ring.

He dreamed about this moment.

But he never could have dreamed of this.

"The longer you play, the more you think about having that chance and being able to be involved in it," Halladay said. "It's been fun to do here because of the atmosphere and the guys on the team. It's been really everything that I hope it would be. It's something that I've looked forward to, and obviously very glad I got the chance."

The smiles could not be wiped from the faces of his teammates in the clubhouse.

"Pretty good pickup," Howard joked.

"Was that a video game out there or what?" Domonic Brown said.

"It was just great," Jimmy Rollins said. "We'll keep it simple. Simple and classy. That was awesome."

Don Larsen threw a perfect game for the Yankees in Game 5 of the 1956 World Series against the Brooklyn Dodgers. That is the only other no-hitter in postseason history.

The grainy black-and-white footage of Yogi Berra jumping into Larsen's arms is shown every October.

The HD version of Halladay's gem will be played forever, too.

"You go back and you see pitches guys were throwing 50 years ago and they might have the old fastball and maybe something else, maybe a curveball," Phillies closer Brad Lidge said, "But I think 50 years from now, people are going to look back and say, 'Roy had everything then that we have now.' I don't think you could throw a lot more stuff that he's thrown."

Double or nothing

Roy Halladay became the fifth pitcher in
baseball history to have two no-hitters in
one season, and the first to have one
during the regular season and one in the playoffs.

_Year_ ___Pitcher___ __Team___ Dates
2010_____ Roy Halladay_____ PHI____ 5/29, 10/6
1973 Nolan Ryan CAL 5/15, 7/15
1952 Virgil Trucks DET 5/15, 8/25
1951 Allie Reynolds NYY 7/12, 9/28
1938 J. Vander Meer CIN 6/11, 6/15

Halladay throws a sinker, cutter, curveball and changeup, and he threw each of them beautifully Wednesday.

How good were his pitches?

Consider for a second Halladay threw a perfect game May 29 against the Marlins at Sun Life Stadium.

He was better than his perfect game.

"Way better," Cole Hamels said. "Way better."

"I thought so," pitching coach Rich Dubee said. "I thought he had four pitches, never really lost any of those four pitches. He had four pitches throughout nine innings that he pretty much could throw at any time and to both sides of the plate. He was [like that in Florida], but he wasn't as consistent."

"He was filthy," Rollins said. "Filthy, like just completely filthy."

Halladay threw 25 first-pitch strikes to 28 batters. He had 0-2 counts 11 times.

He broke bats.

He left Reds hitters shaking their heads on the walk back to the visitors' dugout. Reds right fielder Jay Bruce was the only Cincinnati player to reach base when Halladay walked him two outs in the fifth.

"We never envisioned that," Reds first baseman Joey Votto said. "I don't think anything we did would have mattered. ... He just pitched so well. When you're trying to thread a needle at the plate, it's miserable. It's not fun being up there trying to hit nothing. Tonight was a nothing night. I took the one pitch I saw all night to hit because I wanted to see a strike. I hate to use hyperbole, but he's an ace among aces."

The Reds had three close calls, other than the ball Phillips hit for the final out: a line drive Reds pitcher Travis Wood smoked to right fielder Jayson Werth to end the third, a ground ball Votto hit into the hole to Rollins to end the fourth and pinch-hitter Juan Francisco hitting a hard hit ball up the middle to Rollins for the second out in the sixth.

"I wasn't anticipating him hitting the ball that way," Rollins said of Votto's ball. "He did that in Cincinnati to me. We played the shift. Me and [third baseman] Wilson [Valdez] had it right. If it's soft in front, you get it. If it gets by you, I'll be there. We started laughing at each other because he was trying to cut it off and it got past him. It worked out."

Francisco hit a ball through Halladay's legs in the sixth, but Rollins again made a nice play.

"I was just hoping it didn't hit Roy in the foot," Rollins said. "Please don't. And it hit the mound and in between all those white towels, I was able to catch it."

Halladay was in control from the moment he warmed up in the bullpen to the final pitch. Reds pitcher Edinson Volquez could not say the same. He endured a nightmarish 1 2/3 innings in his first postseason start. It started when he allowed a one-out double in the first to Shane Victorino, who stole third and scored on Chase Utley's sacrifice fly to right field to hand the Phillies a 1-0 lead.

Volquez really fell apart in the second. He walked Ruiz with one out and allowed an infield single to Valdez, who started in place of injured third baseman Placido Polanco. Halladay, who hit .141 (16-for-92) in the regular season, hit a sinking line drive to left field for a single to score Ruiz to make it 2-0.

"The at-bat of the night was by Roy Halladay," Reds manager Dusty Baker said.

Volquez walked Rollins to load the bases and Victorino singled to center field to score Valdez and Halladay to make it 4-0.

Victorino was pumped, but the best was yet to come.

"When it gets that loud, it's hard to ignore," Halladay said. "I thought especially the last three innings, it seemed like it got louder every inning. It's obviously one of the most electric atmospheres I've ever been in. It was pretty neat. It's something you obviously can't ignore, so it was a lot of fun."

After Halladay clinched the NL East title Sept. 27 in Washington, he said the season was only going to get "funner."

He was right. And Wednesday could be just the beginning.

Todd Zolecki is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

PostSubject: Re: 2010 MLB Postseason Schedule**   2010 MLB Postseason Schedule** Icon_minitimeThu Oct 14, 2010 8:38 am

Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

PostSubject: Re: 2010 MLB Postseason Schedule**   2010 MLB Postseason Schedule** Icon_minitimeSat Oct 23, 2010 6:20 am

The Y'all Classic! Texas boots Yanks in ALCS
Rangers reach first World Series in franchise's 50 years
By T.R. Sullivan / MLB.com | 10/23/10 1:11 AM ET

Box >

ARLINGTON -- The Rangers were one out away from franchise history and only Alex Rodriguez, of all people, stood in the way of a dream 39 years in the making -- 50 if you want to go back to the birth of the Washington Senators.

Out in center field, Josh Hamilton started tearing up as his team stood on the verge of winning the franchise's first American League pennant and punching its ticket to the World Series.

"I was just thinking about where we were and thinking that at my lowest point in my life I never thought I could be a part of something like this," Hamilton said.

Closer Neftali Feliz threw three straight fastballs to Rodriguez. He took one for a ball, one for a strike and then fouled one to the screen. Feliz then threw a curve, Rodriguez froze and home-plate umpire Brian Gorman rang up strike three.

2010 MLB Postseason Schedule** Alcs-g6

And just like that, after a terrific pitching performance by Colby Lewis and huge hits from Vladimir Guerrero and Nelson Cruz, 51,404 erupted into a roaring frenzy as the team knocked off the defending world champion Yankees, 6-1, in Game 6 on Friday night to wrap up the American League Championship Series.

As Rodriguez walked back to the dugout, Feliz and catcher Bengie Molina embraced between home plate and the mound while third baseman Michael Young jumped up and down like an out-of-control pogo. Soon they were all in a massive dogpile with Guerrero racing from the dugout and diving high over teammates into the middle of the wild celebration.

"I can't even describe this feeling," Young said, after untangling with his teammates and hoisting the AL trophy for all to see. "These are incredible teammates, an incredible group of guys playing in front of incredible fans. It's just beginning. The ultimate goal is still ahead of us."

That is the World Series. Entering this season, the Rangers, who ranked 27th among Major League teams with an Opening Day payroll of $64.8 million, were one of three teams without a World Series appearance. Now only the Nationals (formerly the Montreal Expos) and Seattle Mariners remain.

"It's awesome ... I have been waiting 40 years for this," reliever Darren Oliver said.

So has everybody else, from the High Plains of West Texas to the Big Thicket and Piney Woods in the east, from the Red River and beyond up north to the Hill Country in the south, and all across the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex -- especially in the heart of it all in Arlington -- Rangers fans are finally able to embrace what it means to have a team going to the World Series.

"It's incredible," second baseman Ian Kinsler said. "We set out all year to achieve our goal and in the clubhouse we never doubted it. A lot of people had doubts, but we never had doubts and we proved it."

The Rangers, in winning the ALCS in six games, now await the National League winner between the Giants and the Phillies. The Giants lead that series, 3-2, with Game 6 scheduled for Saturday and a possible Game 7 scheduled for Sunday.

The World Series will open on Wednesday, Oct. 27, in either San Francisco or Philadelphia, just one day shy of the 50th anniversary of the franchise being voted into existence as the Washington Senators on Oct. 26, 1960.

"I have never felt anything close to this in all my years of playing baseball," pitcher C.J. Wilson said. "I have never been so happy and so proud of my teammates and an organization like I am tonight."

"World Series, baby," said Cruz, holding the AL trophy in his hand near the mound that Lewis had owned for eight innings against the Yankees. "It's amazing to be a part of this. We worked so hard to be in this situation. We're going to enjoy the moment and then get ready for the World Series."

Thanks to Lewis, the Rangers will have Cliff Lee ready for Game 1 of the World Series. Lee would have pitched Game 7 on Saturday against the Yankees if needed. It wasn't needed.

"We didn't come here thinking about Game 7," Young said. "Game 7 was the farthest thing from our minds. We came to the ballpark determined to win Game 6. That was all we were focused on."

They did exactly that. Lewis pitched eight innings, allowing one run on just three hits and three walks. He struck out seven before turning it over to Feliz in the ninth.

"He was great," Yankees manager Joe Girardi said. "We had three hits in, what, eight innings? He was outstanding."

The Yankees' three hits were the fewest in an elimination loss in franchise history.

"They overall played better," Yankees captain Derek Jeter said. "They pitched better, they hit better, they just outplayed us. That's just the bottom line. They were a lot better than us these six games.

"They deserve to be moving on. They were a better team than us."

Yankees starter Phil Hughes matched Lewis for four innings. The Rangers got one in the first on a double by Elvis Andrus, a single by Hamilton and Guerrero's grounder on a hit-and-run. The Yankees responded in the fifth when Rodriguez led off with a double and later scored on a disputed wild pitch.

So it was 1-1 when the Rangers came to bat in the bottom of the fifth and Guerrero and Cruz delivered the two biggest hits of the night -- two of the biggest in the history of the franchise.

Mitch Moreland, the Rangers' No. 9 hitter who ended up hitting .389 in the ALCS, reached on an infield single. He went to second on Andrus' hit-and-run grounder to the right side and then to third on Young's slow grounder back to the mound.

That brought up Hamilton and the Yankees elected to walk him intentionally. They did so in the exact same situation in the third got away with it. Guerrero popped out to second to end the inning.

"I told him in the on-deck circle, 'Don't let them do that to you,'" Cruz said. "'Go do something.'" He did. This time Guerrero crushed a 1-0 curveball from Hughes to deep center beyond Curtis Granderson, scoring both runners and giving the Rangers a 3-1 lead. From second base, Guerrero gave a big claw sign to his teammates in the dugout.

"They kept walking Josh and I kept saying, 'How about Vlad,'" Andrus said. "He's always been a guy you want to have at the plate with men on base. We knew he'd do it."

That brought up Cruz, who had left Game 5 with tightness in his hamstring. He was good enough to play in Game 6 but had flied out in his first two at-bats. Girardi brought in right-hander David Robertson to face him and that move didn't work either.

Cruz, after fouling off two 1-2 pitches, hammered a fastball deep into the left-center-field bleachers for a two-run home run, his second homer of the ALCS and fifth in the playoffs. The hamstring did not bother him as he jogged around the bases.

"I didn't feel anything," Cruz said. "As soon as I hit it, I felt like I could fly around the bases."

Four innings later, when Rodriguez took strike three, his teammates had the same feeling.

"It's truly unbelievable," outfielder David Murphy said. "I can't say enough of these guys. I'm so happy I got to experience this with a great group of guys. It feels unbelievable."

It was only 39 years in the making. But there are still four more wins to go and the ultimate goal to achieve.

"We're not done yet," Young said.

T.R. Sullivan is a reporter for MLB.com Read his blog, Postcards from Elysian Fields and follow him on Twitter @Sullivan_Ranger. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

PostSubject: Re: 2010 MLB Postseason Schedule**   2010 MLB Postseason Schedule** Icon_minitimeSun Oct 24, 2010 5:29 pm

SF wins on Juan swing; Philly KO'd, looking
Stalwart relief work gives San Francisco fourth NL pennant
By Chris Haft / MLB.com | 10/24/10 2:52 AM ET

Box >

PHILADELPHIA -- The San Francisco Giants hoisted themselves onto baseball's biggest stage Saturday night with what could have been their most dynamic performance of the season.

Their 3-2 triumph over the Philadelphia Phillies in Game 6 of the National League Championship Series was beyond extraordinary. It was a tour de force encompassing virtually every element that sustained the Giants this year. No wonder Giants general manager Brian Sabean called it an "extreme game."

The franchise that's synonymous with the home run, from Bobby Thomson to Willie Mays to Barry Bonds, secured its fourth pennant since moving West in 1958 on Juan Uribe's stunning opposite-field homer that broke a 2-2 tie with two outs in the eighth inning.

2010 MLB Postseason Schedule** Nlcs-g6

Giants closer Brian Wilson ended the three-hour, 41-minute showdown by slipping a 3-2 cut fastball past a gazing Ryan Howard to strand baserunners on first and second.

In between, the Giants' bullpen compensated for starter Jonathan Sanchez's two-inning stint by providing the dominance normally associated with the team's starting rotation -- partly because members of that rotation contributed. Led by Jeremy Affeldt and assisted by Madison Bumgarner and Tim Lincecum, five relievers blanked Philadelphia on five hits through the final seven innings while marooning nine baserunners.

"That's how our team works. It's a new hero every night," said outfielder Cody Ross, who was named Most Valuable Player of the NLCS for batting .350 with a .950 slugging percentage. "Tonight it was Affeldt and Uribe."

The result was yet another one-run game, the seventh San Francisco has played in 10 contests this postseason. This should have been expected from the team that led the Major Leagues in games decided by three runs or fewer.

By capturing the NLCS four games to two, the Giants will open the World Series against the American League champion Texas Rangers on Wednesday at AT&T Park. Considered underdogs against the two-time reigning NL champion Phillies, the Giants probably will be assigned the same status against the hard-hitting Rangers.

But by winning their first pennant since 2002, the Giants earned the opportunity to end the Majors' third-longest World Series drought. They haven't captured the Fall Classic since 1954, when their home was New York's Polo Grounds.

"When you come this far, you have a chance to win," Wilson said. "We like our odds, even though not many do. We're the real deal. We just won the pennant. It's time to start believing."

"I know America probably wanted to see the Yankees and Phillies, but we've got the Giants and the Rangers," San Francisco first baseman Aubrey Huff said. "It'll be an exciting Series."

If there's any carryover from this game, Huff will be accurate.

The 2-2 deadlock had endured since the third inning, when Huff's RBI single and Philadelphia third baseman Placido Polanco's throwing error helped pull the Giants even. The Phillies scored twice five batters into the game off Sanchez, who admitted, "I didn't have it today."

By contrast, Phillies right-hander Ryan Madson, who had gone unscored upon in his previous four NLCS appearances, appeared bound to finish his second shutout inning after entering the game in the seventh. Then Uribe poked the first pitch he saw from Madson, a cutter, into the first row of the right-field seats.

It was Uribe's first postseason homer since Game 1 of the AL Division Series in 2005, when he played for the eventual world champion White Sox. Uribe said that this round-tripper eclipsed any hit he has ever collected.

"It's a big one, like me," he said, raising himself on his tiptoes.

Armed with the lead, the Giants turned to Lincecum, their two-time Cy Young Award winner, in the bottom of the eighth. Pitching from the stretch position, as if he were a full-time reliever, Lincecum struck out Jayson Werth but surrendered singles to Shane Victorino and Raul Ibanez.

That prompted Giants manager Bruce Bochy to summon Wilson, a bona fide closer. Carlos Ruiz connected solidly with a 1-1 pitch, but lined it directly to Huff, who threw to second base to double off Victorino.

"I've never squeezed the ball harder and never lobbed the ball softer to second base," Huff said.

The game's intensity level might have deepened the crack in the Liberty Bell. Both benches and bullpens emptied in the third inning after Sanchez buried a pitch in Chase Utley's back. Utley responded by flipping the ball toward Sanchez, leading to a war of words. No punches were thrown, and Sanchez, who had been performing erratically, was removed from the game immediately. But the overflow of emotions demonstrated the fierce resolve smoldering within each team.

"I call it two teams who really want it bad," said left-hander Javier Lopez, who pitched a scoreless seventh. "Utley's one of the best players in the game. He wants it as bad as anybody else and he showed it there."

Utley was diplomatic later.

"The Giants have a good team," he said. "They played well, and I think they're going to represent the National League very well."

The Phillies almost spared Utley from making his concession speech. With one out in the ninth, Wilson walked Jimmy Rollins. Polanco's grounder to third base forced Rollins at second but was hit too softly for the Giants to turn a double play. Utley walked, and the tension deepened with the count to Howard.

Then Wilson fired the full-count pitch knee-high. Howard barely moved his bat from his shoulder as umpire Tom Hallion signaled strike three. The Giants cavorted for more than five minutes on the field before taking their celebration into the clubhouse, where champagne and beer flowed freely, mostly on players' heads. One of the richest scenes featured Uribe and managing general partner Bill Neukom dumping booze on each other, screaming and laughing.

"Any time you take down the champs, it's a good feeling," Affeldt said. "They say to be the best you have to beat the best. And we did in this series."

Chris Haft is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

PostSubject: Re: 2010 MLB Postseason Schedule**   2010 MLB Postseason Schedule** Icon_minitimeThu Oct 28, 2010 1:05 am

Ten-gallon splat: SF knocks Texas off a Cliff
WS GAME 1
By Chris Haft / MLB.com | 10/27/10 11:35 PM ET

Box >

SAN FRANCISCO -- The Giants haven't rewritten history yet, but they enthusiastically cleaned their erasers and sharpened their pencils Wednesday night.

The National League champions took their initial step toward ending the franchise's 55-year World Series drought by stunning the Rangers with eight unanswered runs, including six in the fifth inning, in an 11-7 triumph in Game 1 of the 106th Fall Classic.

The seventh matchup of Cy Young Award winners in a postseason series opener dissolved in a stream of extra-base hits, including six by the Giants. San Francisco right-hander Tim Lincecum improved to 3-1 in this postseason despite yielding four Texas' runs and eight hits in 5 2/3 innings. Texas left-hander Cliff Lee, who entered the game with a 0.75 ERA, was charged with seven runs (six earned) in 4 2/3 innings and absorbed his first postseason defeat in four decisions.

Juan Uribe, whose eighth-inning homer provided the winning run in last Saturday's clinching victory of the NL Championship Series at Philadelphia, pounded a three-run homer to punctuate the Giants' big fifth that broke a 2-2 tie.

More importantly from the Giants' perspective, their offensive outburst propelled them toward the ultimate triumph they seek. The Game 1 winner has proceeded to win the World Series in 11 of the last 13 years, including six of the past seven.

"It gives us a lot of confidence," second baseman said Freddy Sanchez said. "We already believed in ourselves, but even more after putting some runs on the board and taking some pressure off our pitchers. That was the most important thing."

The Giants seemed determined to continue that trend. Their free-swinging tendencies worked to their advantage against Lee, a strike-throwing machine who gave San Francisco plenty to hit. Lee's vulnerability was particularly evident during the Giants' fifth-inning rally, as they scored all but one of their runs with two outs.

With one out, Andres Torres launched the uprising by doubling to left field. He scored on Freddy Sanchez's third double of the evening, which ended Lee's 16-inning postseason scoreless streak.

"I just tried to put the ball in play against him," Sanchez said about facing Lee. "We know he throws a lot of strikes, and I was able to find some holes."

Lee retired Buster Posey on a called third strike, but Pat Burrell walked on a 3-2 pitch to prolong the inning. NLCS Most Valuable Player Cody Ross singled to center on Lee's 100th pitch of the game, delivering Sanchez. Burrell hustled home as Aubrey Huff also singled. Since Huff's left-handed-batting brethren had entered the game 2-for-25 off Lee in this postseason, that spurred Texas manager Ron Washington to replace his ace with sidearmer Darren O'Day.

Up came Uribe, who O'Day retired in their only regular-season confrontation. It didn't matter. Uribe drove a 2-0 pitch into the left-field seats, thrilling the heavily pro-Giants audience that packed AT&T Park. It was the Giants' highest-scoring Series inning since they also amassed six in Game 4 against the Yankees in 1937.

A weird first inning began uncomfortably for Lincecum, who yielded Elvis Andrus' single on the game's third pitch before walking Michael Young on a full-count delivery.

After Josh Hamilton's dribbler to first base advanced the runners, Vladimir Guerrero slapped a grounder up the middle that Lincecum apparently tried to deflect by kicking it. He indeed changed the ball's course, but not successfully. It caromed off the inside of his left knee and trickled toward the right side of the infield, scoring Andrus and moving Young to third base.

Nelson Cruz tapped a swinging bunt toward third base that Lincecum quickly grabbed. Since Young had strayed toward home, Lincecum appeared primed to throw him out easily and perhaps could have tagged him out himself. But he inexplicably held the ball as he chased Young back toward third base and let him arrive there safely, though Uribe and Edgar Renteria both stood near the bag awaiting a throw.

That loaded the bases, but Lincecum and the Giants escaped as Ian Kinsler grounded into an inning-ending double play.

More sloppiness helped the Rangers add a second-inning run. Ex-Giant Bengie Molina, looking as if he knew exactly what he was doing, led off by lining an opposite-field single to right. One out later, Molina moved to third as Lee faked a bunt, pulled back his bat and doubled to right-center. It was the first World Series double by an American League pitcher since 1997, when Cleveland's Chad Ogea recorded one in Game 6.

Andrus' fly to center field scored the ponderous Molina, who capitalized on Andres Torres' throw that veered high and wide beyond the right-handed batter's box.

The Giants recovered from their shaky start to pull even in the third. Young fumbled Renteria's grounder for an error. Continuing his shaky night, Lincecum popped up a sacrifice-bunt attempt. But after Lee nicked Torres with a pitch, Sanchez seized upon that lapse by lining his second double, a bolt into the left-field corner that scored Renteria and moved Torres to third. Posey's single to left-center delivered Torres, but Sanchez's first step was back toward second, so he advanced only to third. Lee escaped by slipping called third strikes past Burrell and Ross.

Chris Haft is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

PostSubject: Re: 2010 MLB Postseason Schedule**   2010 MLB Postseason Schedule** Icon_minitimeTue Nov 02, 2010 12:40 am

Giants win the Series! Giants win the Series!
By Chris Haft / MLB.com | 11/01/10 10:32 PM ET

Box >

ARLINGTON -- Go ahead, say it. It's no longer mere fantasy or sheer folly to do so. A rare mix of veteran rejects and budding stars completed an unlikely ascent to the Major League summit Monday night, allowing all to repeat a five-word phrase never before heard:

World Series champion San Francisco Giants. The Giants made franchise history with a 3-1 triumph over the Rangers in Game 5 of the World Series, ignoring their underdog status to capture the 106th Fall Classic, four games to one.

An unlikely hero combined with a likely one to elevate San Francisco to new heights.

Edgar Renteria, who's contemplating retirement after enduring a season in which he played a career-low 72 games, belted a seventh-inning home run to account for the Giants' scoring. Renteria hit .412 (7-for-17) with two home runs and six RBIs and was elected Most Valuable Player for the Series.

"It was a tough year for me, and I appreciate everyone in the organization because they had patience with me -- the GM, the manager," Renteria said. "So they gave me the chance to play and thank God everything went well. And I don't know, the home run? I don't know, I saw the ball well, put a good swing on the ball and it went out."

2010 MLB Postseason Schedule** Ws-g5

Tim Lincecum, the reigning two-time National League Cy Young Award winner, worked eight mostly spotless innings. He surrendered three hits, including Nelson Cruz's seventh-inning home run. Lincecum improved to 4-1 in the postseason, including 2-0 in the Series.

"They did all right," manager Bruce Bochy said. "I couldn't be prouder of the group. It just goes to show you what a team can do when they play with heart and determination. They just couldn't be denied."

Not only did the Giants win their first Series since relocating from New York to San Francisco in 1958, but they also earned baseball's biggest prize for the first time since 1954 -- ending the Majors' third-longest dry spell. The Cubs (102 years) and Indians (62 years) are left to look upon the Giants enviously.

"You've got to credit [general manager] Brian Sabean," Aubrey Huff said. "This guy went out, he's an old-school GM and he got a bunch of old-school guys, starting with me. He went out and picked up Pat Burrell, who hit some big homers for us late, Juan Uribe, Cody Ross, I mean, it goes on and on.

"Every time you go through the locker room, you can go to each locker and every night in can be anybody. Edgar Renteria tonight ... unbelievable. Amazing story with him. Two big World Series hits in his career, and I just can't be happier for the guy."

No longer will the Giants be regarded as a gold-plated oddity. They won more games between 1958 and 1971 than any other ballclub with rosters that included, at various times, future Hall of Famers Willie Mays, Willie McCovey, Juan Marichal, Orlando Cepeda and Gaylord Perry. But they captured just one National League pennant and one division title during that span.

This title doesn't diminish the greatness of those Giants. It merely alters the franchise's historical landscape. The World Series trophy that the Giants brought to San Francisco joins the AT&T Park statues of Mays, McCovey, Marichal and Cepeda as perpetual symbols of achievement.

Marichal, the marvelous right-hander who was here to provide radio commentary on ESPN Deportes, saluted these Giants who accomplished what he and his peers couldn't.

"I tell everybody that I left my heart in San Francisco," Marichal said, happily echoing Tony Bennett. "... I don't mind. I love the Giants. I'm so happy for that bunch of kids. They're doing a wonderful job for the team, the organization and the city. ... I think they deserve a winner."

The identity of Monday's winner remained in doubt while Lincecum and Texas ace Cliff Lee generated the scoreless standoff everyone expected when they met in Game 1, which resulted in a surprising 11-7 Giants victory.

This time, neither team moved a runner as far as second base through the first six innings, though San Francisco gave Texas a scare in the sixth. Freddy Sanchez singled with two outs before Buster Posey launched a drive that Nelson Cruz caught on the run, a step in front of the right-field wall. Had Posey's drive traveled about 15 feet toward center field, it might have caromed off a protruding portion the wall or even cleared it for a home run.

In retrospect, that served as a foreshadowing of the seventh, which began with singles by Cody Ross and Juan Uribe, the latter on an 0-2 pitch. Huff followed with a stunning ploy, executing the first sacrifice bunt of his career to advance the runners.

Lee edged closer to escaping the threat by whiffing the embattled Burrell, who recorded 11 strikeouts in 13 hitless Series at-bats.

Up came Renteria, who walloped a 2-0 cut fastball over the left-center field barrier. After crossing home plate, Ross and Uribe virtually skipped back toward the dugout before Renteria coolly accepted his teammates' congratulations.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2010 MLB Postseason Schedule**   2010 MLB Postseason Schedule** Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1