Always A Tiger
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
Always A Tiger
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
Always A Tiger
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Always A Tiger

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to learn and talk about their Favorite Baseball Team, as well as just enjoy one another's company.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Ryan Perry TRACKER

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

Aries Location : Ohio

Ryan Perry TRACKER - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ryan Perry TRACKER   Ryan Perry TRACKER - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 8:53 pm

Perry's DL stint expected to be minimal
By Jason Beck / MLB.com | 04/10/11 12:02 PM ET

DETROIT -- It's looking like Ryan Perry's stay on the disabled list will be minimal. The right-handed reliever threw Sunday morning as he tries to keep his arm fresh while his infected left eye heals.

Perry's eye infection prevents him from wearing contacts, which prevents him from pitching in games. His astigmatism can't be corrected well enough with glasses to let him play, according to head athletic trainer Kevin Rand. Moreover, the infection leaves his eye sensitive to light.
Physically, however, he's perfectly fine. So once he was cleared, he donned a pair of sunglasses and threw.

Perry's DL stint was retroactive to April 5. He's eligible to return April 20, the final day of the Tigers' upcoming seven-game West Coast road trip. Since it's an early afternoon game in Seattle, the Tigers could wait until they return home on April 22.

Jason Beck is a reporter for MLB.com. Read Beck's Blog and follow him on Twitter @beckjason. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
https://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Perry TRACKER   Ryan Perry TRACKER - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2011 6:23 pm

Perry set for rehab assignment
By Jason Beck / MLB.com | 04/13/11 12:43 PM ET

DETROIT -- The left eye infection that has sidelined Ryan Perry for the past week is all but gone, and Perry is ready to begin a rehab stint at Triple-A Toledo, with an eye towards being ready to return when he's eligible to come off the 15-day disabled list next Wednesday at Seattle.

Perry said he has an appointment on Thursday with the team eye doctor, who is expected to clear him to wear contacts again. That will clear him to head down to Toledo and throw a side session later that day at Fifth Third Field.

His rehab assignment will then officially begin Friday with an appearance for the Mud Hens that night against Columbus. That outing will last around 30 pitches, or two innings.

After another side session over the weekend, Perry would then make one more rehab appearance early next week, possibly Monday.

From there, the plan calls for him to fly out to Seattle in anticipation of being activated for Wednesday afternoon's series finale against the Mariners at Safeco Field.

The Tigers could wait to activate Perry until they return home next Friday, but the importance of having him available Wednesday is a sign of how much he means toward shoring up the seventh inning.

Jason Beck is a reporter for MLB.com. Read Beck's Blog and follow him on Twitter @beckjason. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Perry TRACKER   Ryan Perry TRACKER - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2011 3:25 am

Perry has smooth relief outing for Toledo
By Jason Beck / MLB.com | 04/19/11 2:03 AM ET

SEATTLE -- Ryan Perry had a smooth inning of relief in his second rehab appearance Monday for Triple-A Toledo, retiring the side in order in a 15-pitch frame. That follows up his 27-pitch outing for the Mud Hens last Friday, which included three hits and four batters retired.

The plan Perry discussed last week involved two outings before he's eligible to be activated from the disabled list on Wednesday. Assuming Perry feels fine on Tuesday, he's expected to fly to Seattle in time to be ready, active and available for Wednesday afternoon's series finale vs. the Tigers.

Perry went on the disabled list two weeks ago with an eye infection. That has cleared up, allowing him to wear contacts. He had nothing wrong with the arm, so the rehab has basically been a way to work his way back into game action.

Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Perry TRACKER   Ryan Perry TRACKER - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2011 8:24 pm

Perry's return gives Tigers options in bullpen
By Jason Beck / MLB.com | 04/20/11 4:01 PM ET

SEATTLE -- Ryan Perry is back in the Tigers' bullpen, having been activated from the 15-day disabled list as expected Wednesday morning. Alberto Alburquerque, the reliever indirectly replacing him for the past week or so, did not go back. Instead, long reliever Enrique Gonzalez was outrighted to Triple-A Toledo.

The result: Manager Jim Leyland has some mixing and matching he can do to get through the seventh inning with a lead without potentially burning his young, untested arms.

"Maybe we can set some of the kids in a little different order, break them in a little bit different. Perry, obviously, we're hoping can be a big help to us later on in the game, in that seventh-inning situation probably, which will take a little stress off a couple of kids. They'll be able to do it sometimes, but hopefully that's the way it'll work out."

It's a little unusual to think of the 24-year-old reliever as the experienced arm, but after the better part of two seasons and 115 appearances in the Tigers' bullpen, Perry qualifies. Of Detroit's current relievers, only closer Jose Valverde and setup man Joaquin Benoit have more Major League appearances.

Perry missed two weeks with a left eye infection, but his arm was perfectly fine. He could throw in the bullpen and on the side; he just didn't have the eyesight to pitch in games until he was cleared to wear his contact lenses again last week. Once that happened, he basically just had to work back into game condition during his two rehab outings for Triple-A Toledo.

Perry said he felt fine with his pitches.

"I was able to work on my mechanics, do some extra work," Perry said. "For me, pitching is a lot of muscle memory, and I was able to work on all my stuff."

If he can shore up the seventh inning, he should allow Alburquerque and fellow rookie Brayan Villarreal some room to work on their stuff in more select situations.

Gonzalez had to clear waivers before being outrighted, which means the Tigers had pegged him before he walked four batters while retiring five Tuesday night. The 28-year-old right-hander was somewhat of a surprise pick for the Opening Day bullpen before giving up seven runs on eight hits over 5 1/3 innings, with six walks and two strikeouts.

Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Perry TRACKER   Ryan Perry TRACKER - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 11, 2011 2:48 am

Leyland not sweating Perry's rough outing
By Jason Beck / MLB.com | 05/10/11 8:09 PM ET

MINNEAPOLIS -- Not since Dontrelle Willis and Fernando Rodney had the Tigers seen the kind of outing Ryan Perry suffered Monday night against the Blue Jays, with three walks, two hits and three runs in a seven-batter span of the ninth inning of what had been a 10-2 game.

Manager Jim Leyland, for one, is willing to put it out of sight.

"I certainly give him the benefit of the doubt," Leyland said Tuesday.

Like the Tigers did with Rodney a few years ago, Leyland is going back to an old trick he learned from former All-Star pitcher Jim Kaat. He's going to have Perry throw off a mound every day before the game -- nothing strenuous, just enough to repeat his motion.

"I'm going to have him just get on the mound for five minutes," Leyland said. "That's it. Concentrate on the target and throw to the catcher every day, unless the arm needs a day off or something, just to see if that helps him out a little bit."

Part of it, Leyland said, is to help Perry adjust to going long stretches without pitching in a game. Monday was his first outing in a week, thanks to the recent dominance of Detroit's starting pitching. Before that, by comparison, he had pitched four times in five days. Leyland wasn't making an excuse out of it, but he's trying to help Perry make the adjustment.

"It's a catch-22," Leyland said. "When somebody sits for six or seven days, that's a good thing, because it means your starters are going deep and you're getting to your closer. It's a bad thing because they don't get work. Obviously, you'd rather have the winning games. But it's also something that a pitcher at the Major League level has to learn how to do.

"He has to learn how to be able to sit for a few days, and then come in the game after the fifth or sixth day and be able to throw strikes. It's a knack, and it's not easy to do, particularly if you're a big, gangly guy like Ryan. It's a little more difficult, in fairness to him. So I wipe that one out. He certainly gets a reprieve for that."

Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Perry TRACKER   Ryan Perry TRACKER - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 24, 2011 1:45 am

New-look Perry trying to regain old form
By Jason Beck / MLB.com | 05/23/11 8:58 PM ET

DETROIT -- Ryan Perry had a different look in an effort to change his fortunes on Monday before he even threw a pitch. He shaved his head, taking off all the hair he had grown out this spring in an effort to go back to his rookie look.

That likely won't have much to do with whether he can recapture his younger form that made him a central part of Detroit's bullpen. The mechanical work he has put in the last couple days to change his look on the mound will have more to do with that.

A day after manager Jim Leyland said Perry needed to recapture the sinking motion on his fastball to complement his slider, Perry said he was making changes to do that. After watching video all the way back to his college career at the University of Arizona, before he was the Tigers' first-round pick in 2008, Perry and Tigers coaches believe lowering his arm angle should do that.

As Perry explained it, his arm angle had gotten progressively higher in his release when he tried to put in work staying back in his delivery and gaining some consistency. It came at a price, apparently.

His two-seam fastball had been one of his better pitches, both for velocity and movement. Because he could move it opposite of his slider, he could keep hitters guessing.

"That's what got me on the team, really," Perry said. "My first year, I threw a lot of fastballs. Every catcher who caught me said, 'I don't know which way it's going to move.'"

It has become a lot more predictable.

"Now, they're all cutting," Perry said of his fastball. "It looks too much like my slider at times."

Coincidence or not, his fastball percentage has dropped. He went with fastballs on 77.3 percent of his pitches as a rookie in 2009, according to fangraphs.com. They comprised 66.5 percent of his pitches last year, and just 60 percent of his pitches so far this season. His average fastball velocity, in turn, has dropped from 95.4 to 93.9 mph.

"It hasn't given me all my potential, really," Perry said.

Perry went to work on changing that on Sunday. While Rick Porcello took a no-hitter into the sixth inning against the Pirates at PNC Park, Perry was throwing in the visiting bullpen, trying to get the feeling back of his old arm angle. Now, he said, it's a matter of getting the muscle memory down.

Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Perry TRACKER   Ryan Perry TRACKER - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 28, 2011 2:15 am

Perry optioned to Toledo, Oliver recalled
By Jason Beck and Chris Vannini / MLB.com | 05/28/11 12:36 AM ET

DETROIT -- One day after admitting there were "a lot of things" wrong with his mechanics, right-handed reliever Ryan Perry was optioned to Triple-A Toledo.

Left-hander Andy Oliver was recalled and will start on Saturday against the Red Sox.

Perry gave up seven earned runs over his last two outings, and opponents hit .370 off him, so he wasn't surprised when he received the news.

"I just need to stay out there and work," Perry said. "I'm doing one inning here, and I think I've got it, only to come out next time and find out I don't. It really just needs some consistency in me getting out there."

Manager Jim Leyland said that going to Toledo -- where there is much less pressure -- would provide Perry with the best opportunity to work things out.

"Tonight's move was based solely on one thing -- that Ryan Perry's struggled so bad, he needs to get away from it," Leyland said. "He's hitting his head against the wall right now. We are, too, trying to figure out some way to help him. He needs to just get away from this environment, because there's so much pressure at the Major League level on all these kids."

The Tigers will have to send another pitcher to Toledo soon, as recently acquired reliever David Purcey will be available to pitch on Saturday.
Jason Beck is a reporter for MLB.com. Read Beck's Blog and follow him on Twitter @beckjason. Chris Vannini is an associate reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
RememberTheBird
Toledo Mud Hens (AAA)
Toledo Mud Hens (AAA)
RememberTheBird

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Perry TRACKER   Ryan Perry TRACKER - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2011 3:58 pm

Inge back with Tigers after bout with mono
Third baseman returns from rehab assignment in Triple-A
By Jason Beck / MLB.com | 06/23/11 10:55 AM ET

Brandon Inge will be back with the Tigers when they begin their homestand Friday night against Arizona. Detroit recalled the third baseman from his Minor League rehab assignment on Thursday and activated him from the 15-day disabled list.

Inge had been on the disabled list since June 2 after being diagnosed with mononucleosis, which he'd been dealing with for much of May. While the timetable for his return was originally unclear, Inge later said he was near the tail end of the virus' impact when he was diagnosed.

After working out with the Tigers during their last homestand, he batted 7-for-28 (.250) in seven games for Triple-A Toledo, hitting two home runs in a game on Tuesday. He said his strength and timing improved significantly over the course of the assignment.

"I feel fine now and I need to be there," Inge told the Toledo Blade on Wednesday night. "I can help out. Friday is the day I know I can get back. I am ready."

How manager Jim Leyland works Inge back into the mix will become clearer on Friday. His absence has been noticed defensively, despite strong play at third base by Don Kelly and Danny Worth. Worth and left-hander Adam Wilk were sent back to Toledo on Thursday. The Tigers plan to recall right-hander Ryan Perry from the Mud Hens before Friday's game against Arizona.

Kelly, who assumed the bulk of the duties at third while Inge was out, found a role as the No. 2 hitter in the batting order, a spot Detroit had struggled to fill since optioning Opening Day starting second baseman Will Rhymes in early May.

Kelly batted .263 (15-for-57) with two home runs, seven RBIs and a .715 OPS while Inge was out. It's possible he could retain some time at third base while Inge eases back, or pick up some starts in the outfield as well.

Inge returns to Detroit with a .211 average (34-for-161) in 52 games, but the bigger concern was the number of extra-base hits -- seven doubles and a home run to go with 12 RBIs. His lack of strength was a factor, and the return of it is expected to be factor in how he hits upon his return.

Worth had earned some starts at third base against left-handed pitching while Inge was out, plus some late-game defensive assignments. But with Ryan Raburn and Ramon Santiago splitting time at second base, his opportunities would be limited with Inge back.

Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Perry TRACKER   Ryan Perry TRACKER - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2011 4:06 pm

Tigers bringing Perry back up from Triple-A
By Jason Beck / MLB.com | 06/22/11 8:56 PM ET

LOS ANGELES -- After manager Jim Leyland admitted last week that he had too many left-handers in his bullpen for his liking, he's getting one potentially important right-hander back. If Ryan Perry is pitching right, not just right-handed, he could be a huge part of the middle and late innings for the Tigers.

Detroit is recalling Perry from Triple-A Toledo, the team announced Wednesday, ending his three-week exile to straighten out his mechanics. The move gives Detroit a second right-hander to handle the middle and seventh innings, complementing Al Alburquerque.

The Tigers had spent the last two weeks with four left-handers in the bullpen. Of the three righties available in relief, Joaquin Benoit and Jose Valverde had specific roles, leaving Alburquerque for the seventh inning and earlier. In Wednesday's 7-5 win, Alburquerque entered with two outs in the fifth and carried a Tigers lead to the eighth inning for Benoit and Valverde.

That wasn't something Leyland felt they could sustain for very long. Still, he didn't want to welcome Perry back until they felt he had legitimately improved his command. The reports from the Mud Hens, Leyland said, suggested he had.

Perry struggled to a 12.19 ERA in 10 1/3 innings with the Tigers this season, allowing 14 runs on 17 hits and nine walks, before he was optioned May 28. The former first-round Draft pick held hitters to nine hits over 16 innings in Toledo, walking three and striking out 16 while scattering three earned runs.

The move ends a nearly three-week stay for Adam Wilk that originally began as a short-term fill-in for David Purcey while he was on paternity leave. He pitched in three games since then, allowing seven runs on 10 hits over seven innings during that time, but had pitched only once since June 12.

Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Perry TRACKER   Ryan Perry TRACKER - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 11:59 pm

Perry more relaxed in return to 'pen
By Chris Vannini / MLB.com | 06/24/11 9:18 PM ET

DETROIT -- Standing at his locker in the clubhouse, there was something noticeably different about pitcher Ryan Perry: the smile across his face.

Three weeks ago, Perry couldn't seem to do much right -- having given up 14 runs in 10 1/3 innings with the Tigers. He was sent to Triple-A Toledo to work on mechanics and get away from the Major League pressure.

The move appears to have paid off so far.

In 16 1/3 innings in Toledo, Perry gave up five earned runs on 11 hits, while striking out 16 and walking three.

Perry changed his mechanics, going back to a wind-up with no runners on base -- something the 24-year-old hadn't done since his days at the University of Arizona. The mechanical changes were a result of watching a lot of film from both his college and pro days.

"Just watching a lot of video over the last couple weeks and [seeing] how my mechanics have changed over the years and just really focused on getting back to how I was in college and my first year, year and a half of pro ball," Perry said of his focus in Toledo.

Perry said he felt he got out of rhythm as a result of drills and that his mechanics had become "too mechanical." He decided to go back to the wind-up to get his flow back and found success.

"That's something that no one's ever screwed with before so I felt like I can go to that and give me what my natural flow is," Perry said. "It's really helped me stay on top of the ball a lot better. My arm angle is a little lower, which I've said before, I think it's been raised."

Perry has been able to locate his pitches much better since adjusting his mechanics and plans to carry that success over now that he's back up with the Tigers.

"I just feel more comfortable on the mound," Perry said. "Previously, I just felt like I was throwing in someone else's body. My mechanics didn't feel right, I didn't feel like I was throwing like me, I felt like I was throwing like someone else wanted me to."

Tigers manager Jim Leyland was excited to bring back Perry to take a spot in the previously lefty-heavy bullpen. Now Leyland can mix things up more, which he believes will be a key to success for the rest of the season.

"He think he's found some things there and we got very good reports on his performances down there. ... Also using his changeup to left-hand hitters, which I think is very essential," Leyland said. "I also think that Ryan Perry, without putting any pressure on him, I also think that he could be a huge key to our second-half."

Chris Vannini is an associate reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Perry TRACKER   Ryan Perry TRACKER - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 16, 2011 3:28 am

Guillen, Alburquerque to join Tigers on Saturday
Tigers optioned Worth and Perry to Triple-A Toledo
By Chris Vannini / MLB.com | 07/16/11 12:44 PM ET

DETROIT -- Two highly anticipated returns will be made on the same day for the Tigers.

Tigers president/general manager Dave Dombrowski announced following Friday night's 8-2 loss to the White Sox that infielder Carlos Guillen and pitcher Al Alburquerque would be reinstated from the disabled list and join the Tigers roster on Saturday.

Guillen has been on the 60-day DL since March 30 after microfracture surgery on his left knee last September. While on a rehab assignment, Guillen hit .316 (12-for-38) in 11 games with the Mud Hens and reports were that he felt great.

"I haven't seen him play, but from what I've heard, our reports on him have been very solid," Dombrowski said. "He's been swinging the bat well. I talked to him Wednesday morning. He said he wanted a couple extra days, he felt he was getting there, swinging the bat well. He felt good at the plate, felt comfortable.

"He's caught the ball at second base very solid hands-wise and I think he'll be ready to come back and play."

Alburquerque had been placed on the 15-day DL with right forearm flexor mass inflammation on June 30. Alburquerque has been lights-out this season, allowing 15 hits and striking out 47 batters in 29 innings.

To make room for the pair, the Tigers optioned infielder Danny Worth and pitcher Ryan Perry to Triple-A Toledo.

Tigers manager Jim Leyland said Guillen would start at second base and likely bat seventh on Saturday.

"Obviously, Carlos is a very good veteran player that's feeling good right now," Leyland said. "It'll be good to see him and good to write his name in the lineup. Hopefully, we're going to get some production. I think the guys will be glad to see him, a veteran player, join us."

One player excited to see Guillen was Miguel Cabrera, whose face lit up when he was informed by reporters that Guillen would be coming back.

"That's big news for us," Cabrera said. "I'm excited to see my friend Carlos come in tomorrow. ... Everyone in the lineup, Carlos back, [Magglio Ordonez is] hitting right now, hopefully, we can start getting together and finally make a good run."

The Toledo Blade reported that Guillen was hit on the left knee by a throw on Friday, but he stayed in the game and appeared OK before being ejected for arguing a call.

Guillen hasn't played a Major League game since August of last season, but Dombrowski and Leyland both expect Guillen to contribute.

"We think he can still swing the bat," Dombrowski said. "Our reports are that he's swinging the bat very well down there. It took a while, after being out for a year, to really get to that point, but over his past five, six games, he's really started to swing the bat better."

Dombrowski said the only player with whom he had dealt that had a similar situation was Clete Thomas, who underwent the same surgery last June and returned for Spring Training.

"I've never really been through this surgery with an infielder. ... There's been some ups and downs, as they said there would be, so I really didn't know," Dombrowski said. "I'm glad to see it's worked out."
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Perry TRACKER   Ryan Perry TRACKER - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 13, 2011 3:27 am

By Jeff Seidel / Special to MLB.com | 8/13/2011 12:02 AM ET

Alburquerque was taken to the University of Maryland Medical Center, where he was to remain overnight for observation. He was diagnosed with a concussion and placed on the seven-day concussion disabled list. The Tigers will recall Ryan Perry to take his place.
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Perry TRACKER   Ryan Perry TRACKER - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2011 1:07 am

Big out boosts Perry's confidence
By Jason Beck / MLB.com | 08/24/11 7:45 PM ET

ST. PETERSBURG -- It's difficult to determine the last big out Ryan Perry got in a big situation, since those can be subjectively judged. But consider that until Tuesday, Perry hadn't closed out an inning with a lead -- and without allowing a run to score -- since April.

That's the kind of season it has been for Perry, the former first-round pick who went from seventh-inning option to summer struggler. And that's why his out against Evan Longoria with the bases loaded on Tuesday was arguably his biggest this season, if not longer.

"I'm going to pump him up," manager Jim Leyland said before Wednesday's game.

Simply inserting him there was big enough. Perry entered with two outs and the bases loaded, including the would-be tying run on third and go-ahead run on second. Longoria was 2-for-6 lifetime against him, having gotten him for a two-run homer in a tight game at Tropicana Field last summer.

If the situation was big, the pitch that retired Longoria was critical. After falling into a 2-1 count, Perry came after Longoria with a 95-mph fastball, which Longoria skied to center field for Austin Jackson to corral in front of the warning back.

Perry raised his fist as soon as he saw the ball in the air, which spoke plenty about his confidence.

Opponents had been 6-for-17 (.353) against Perry for his career with the bases loaded, including three doubles and two walks.

Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Perry TRACKER   Ryan Perry TRACKER - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2011 12:22 am

Perry's been outstanding since his return
By Jason Beck / MLB.com | 08/30/11 9:10 PM ET

DETROIT -- When Ryan Perry made it back to the Tigers' bullpen earlier this month, the question that followed him was whether he could consistently throw strikes. Statistically, he was perfect at that Monday night.

Though his outing came in defeat, Perry's work was nonetheless impressive. With 13 pitches, all of them for strikes, Perry induced four outs. The first one of them was a play at the plate, but he emerged from that to retire the side the next inning.

Not only does Perry have six scoreless innings on five hits since his return, he has allowed only one of eight inherited runners to score. By contrast, his longest scoreless streak before this year was a pair of three-outing stretches, but nowhere near that innings total.

Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Perry TRACKER   Ryan Perry TRACKER - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 18, 2011 11:00 pm

Perry's postseason role yet to be defined
By Jason Beck and Eric Gilmore / MLB.com | 09/18/11 5:33 PM ET

OAKLAND -- While the Tigers finish up their road trip Tuesday and Wednesday in Kansas City, team officials will be meeting with manager Jim Leyland and the coaching staff to discuss, among other things, the postseason roster. Among the topics that are likely to come up is Ryan Perry, who could play a critical role in the Tigers bullpen.

Without Perry, the Tigers would not have survived Al Alburquerque's concussion DL stint as well as they did. When Perry is on his game, he's a highly valued seventh-inning arm capable of strikeouts and groundouts. When he's a little off, he can have struggles like he did Saturday, when a two-out, none-on entrance turned into two insurance runs that ended up being the difference in the game against the A's.

Leyland sounded Sunday like he wasn't making much of Saturday's outing, coming off a division-clincher the previous night. Take away that performance, and Perry had held opponents to two runs on nine hits over 9 2/3 innings since his return from Triple-A Toledo in mid-August.

Alburquerque's health could play a big role in Perry's potential postseason usage. Even if Alburquerque pitches in the Kansas City series as planned, that leaves him about a week to get his arm back in midseason form. Alburquerque clearly plays an important role if he's healthy, but he's valuable enough that Perry could be insurance.

Usage might have been one issue that played into Perry's rough outing Saturday. It was just his fifth appearance since Sept. 1, and at 19 pitches, it was nearly twice as long as any of those previous four outings. He threw 24 pitches over his previous four appearances combined.

Leyland has not talked much about the decisions facing the Tigers in choosing a postseason bullpen. He met with pitching coach Jeff Jones on Sunday morning to try to map out their rotation plans, but he won't discuss a lot with the media this week for fear of tipping off the throng of advance scouts following the team.

Leyland made no secret, though, they have decisions to make.

"We're sniffing around," Leyland said.

Jason Beck is a reporter for MLB.com. Read Beck's Blog and follow him on Twitter @beckjason. Eric Gilmore is a contributor to MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Perry TRACKER   Ryan Perry TRACKER - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 25, 2011 7:49 pm

For Perry, confidence will follow consistency
By Jason Beck / MLB.com | 09/24/11 8:26 PM ET

DETROIT -- Manager Jim Leyland talks about Ryan Perry with some of the same keywords he uses to describe Ryan Raburn. Consistency is one word. Confidence is another.

Perry is starting to gain the consistency. Leyland is hoping the confidence follows.

"He's a lot like a position player who doesn't have the confidence in himself that he should have," Leyland said. "Ryan Perry should be a real good pitcher up here, and he needs to get more confidence in himself, a little more swagger, because he's got the equipment to do it.

"If you look, the last two nights, he's been pretty good. Those should be confidence things for him."

For Perry, confidence will come when the consistency is there. Consistency, he believes, will follow from his mechanics.

"I've never been able to hit my spots as well as I have now," Perry said on Saturday. "I have better control now than I really ever have. I just really, really pushed to learn my mechanics and learn my body."

Perry has had a turbulent season, alternating dominant stretches in which he didn't look hittable with plodding stretches of control woes. His last couple of outings have fallen into the first category.

He nearly had an 11th-inning meltdown on his hands on Friday, having allowed a leadoff double on an 0-2 pitch to Nick Markakis and a four-pitch walk to Vladimir Guerrero. After a visit from pitching coach Jeff Jones, he fell behind on a 2-0 count. Two pitches later he was out of the inning.

The first pitch, he said, was a straight fastball that Matt Wieters grounded to first hard enough to start a double play. The next was a sinker that Adam Jones grounded to short.

Just like that, Perry had gone from what looked like a loss in the works to scoreless inning. Once the Tigers rallied in the bottom of the frame, Perry had his first Major League win since last September.

"I really feel like I've been throwing well over the last few weeks," Perry said. "The outing in Oakland [last Saturday], I really got more frustrated handling the situation. Instead of bearing down, I just got mad and tried to throw harder. It's something I've been able to prevent over the last few weeks since I was recalled. That was the one time.

"But I'm really feeling good. I feel like I'm repeating my mechanics, my delivery, on a much more consistent basis than I ever have. So I'm really happy with where I'm at right now."

Jason Beck is a reporter for MLB.com. Read Beck's Blog and follow him on Twitter @beckjason. Chris Vannini is an associate reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Perry TRACKER   Ryan Perry TRACKER - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 26, 2011 1:51 am

Ryan Perry TRACKER - Page 2 20111013180707_perry

What's next for these Tigers?

Ryan Perry,
right-handed reliever

2011: One of the more mysterious seasons by any Tigers reliever. The big arm remains. But results haven’t come close to being consistent.

Contract: Made $430,000 and is not arbitration-eligible

2012: Perry needs to flash that hard-to-hit stuff he featured in 2009. And he needs to find an out-pitch. Could be trade bait, although he probably is worth more now to Detroit than to another club.

John T. Greilick/The Detroit News
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Perry TRACKER   Ryan Perry TRACKER - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 10, 2011 3:53 am

Tigers swing deal for right-hander Balester
Former first-round pick Perry sent to Washington
By Jason Beck / MLB.com | 12/09/11 9:04 PM EST

DETROIT -- Hours after the Tigers' signing of Octavio Dotel left Ryan Perry as a pitcher without a role, he became a pitcher on a new team. The Tigers sent the former first-round pick to the Nationals on Friday night in exchange for Collin Balester in a swap of talented but inconsistent relievers who could use a change of scenery.

"Acquiring Collin Balester from the Nationals today adds another good arm to our organization," team president/general manager Dave Dombrowski said in a statement. "He has shown the ability to pitch multiple innings out of the bullpen in the past, a role we are looking for him to fill for our club in 2012."

The 25-year-old Balester has a big frame at 6-foot-5, and a power arm for a longer reliever. What he didn't have in Washington was a steady role. He went 1-4 with a 4.54 ERA for the Nationals this past season, striking out 34 batters over 35 2/3 innings. He went 2-1 with a 4.35 ERA at Triple-A Syracuse, with 46 strikeouts over 39 1/3 innings.

Balester was out of Minor League options, so he would've had to make Washington's bullpen out of camp or go onto waivers. He stands a better chance of making the roster in Detroit, where the Tigers have gone through a few different arms in long relief over the last few years.

"We look at him more for multi-inning relief," Dombrowski told MLB.com in a phone interview. "We look at him more as a guy pitching multiple innings. ... That was really more the difference between him and Ryan Perry at this time."

As for Balester's options situation, Dombrowski said, "We look at him as somebody that should be on our club."

Perry was a multi-inning reliever for a short stretch, but he best fit as a setup type of arm. Eventually, however, the Tigers ran out of time to wait for him to settle into the job.

Perry was the centerpiece of a reliever-heavy Tigers Draft in 2008, a hard-throwing right-hander who was the setup man of the future, if not a potential closer. But after he made the team out of camp the next spring, he never really found the consistency to hold down a role.

Perry pitched in 149 games for the Tigers over the last three seasons, but never quite showed the benefits of the experience. He went 2-0 with a 5.35 ERA for Detroit this past season, allowing 39 hits over 37 innings with 21 walks and 24 strikeouts. His career stats in three seasons as a Tiger include a 5-6 record, 4.07 ERA, 82 walks and 129 strikeouts over 161 1/3 innings.

Dombrowski and manager Jim Leyland talked about Perry's pitching earlier this week during baseball's Winter Meetings. At that point, they were talking about what Perry needs to do to stick in the big leagues.

"He has to be consistent," Dombrowski said. "He has to command his fastball on a consistent basis. He has to get more consistent in his slider. And he has to, once in a while, change speeds, particularly versus left-handed hitters."

Leyland brought up the inconsistency of Perry's slider.

"There's too much differential between his good one and his bad one for me," he said.
"He throws one of the best sliders you've ever seen, and then the next one's not a good one. It's not good at all. It's left in the middle and it spins. There hasn't been much in between. It's almost an exaggeration, and it's a little bit the same with his [fastball]."

The 24-year-old Perry pitched in 20 games over the summer for Triple-A Toledo, racking up seven saves while allowing 24 hits over 32 2/3 innings with nine walks and 30 strikeouts. Leyland said the reports from Toledo suggested that he threw his changeup with confidence in Toledo under less pressure.

Dotel's signing took away any chance Perry had for the seventh-inning role. Dombrowski, however, suggested Perry "could benefit" from a change of scenery. Before the trade, he talked optimistically about Perry reaching his potential.

"Again, he's still young," Dombrowski said Tuesday. "He got to the big leagues quickly. He just hasn't really gotten over the hump as much as we think he can. But he could be a very good pitcher, very valuable this year. We're hopeful that he will be."

If he takes that step, it'll come in a different uniform.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Perry TRACKER   Ryan Perry TRACKER - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ryan Perry TRACKER
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2