Always A Tiger
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
Always A Tiger
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
Always A Tiger
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Always A Tiger

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to learn and talk about their Favorite Baseball Team, as well as just enjoy one another's company.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Torre: Manny shouldn't be '09 All-Star

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

Aries Location : Ohio

Torre: Manny shouldn't be '09 All-Star Empty
PostSubject: Torre: Manny shouldn't be '09 All-Star   Torre: Manny shouldn't be '09 All-Star Icon_minitimeSat May 30, 2009 12:39 am

From baseball aspect, suspended OF hasn't done enough

By Ken Gurnick / MLB.com

05/29/09 1:58 PM ET

CHICAGO -- Dodgers manager Joe Torre said he doesn't think suspended outfielder Manny Ramirez should be an All-Star this year, even though fans have him fourth in voting at the position.

"No, I don't, and if you ask Manny, he'd give you the same answer," said Torre. "I understand a lot of it is a popularity contest and you want to give the manager the best players, but to me, the significance of the All-Star Game is to reward players who had a good first half.

"They don't always do that. But I always feel it's great to have young players [given] a chance to make the club. Look at [Evan] Longoria, and rightly so.

"Manny's popularity is why he's gotten votes. Realistically, he didn't have, except for reputation, a right to be an All-Star. It probably isn't the right thing for him this year, from the baseball aspect, I've got to think."

One day earlier, Dodgers chairman Frank McCourt offered a different view on whether he would want Ramirez to play in the All-Star Game.

"I'm sure it would be a great honor," McCourt said. "The fans will make up their own minds."

Ramirez, a 12-time All-Star, is serving a 50-game suspension for violating the Major League Baseball drug policy. His suspension is scheduled to end July 3, and he is eligible to play in the July 14 All-Star Game in St. Louis.

Torre, instead, threw his All-Star support to a pair of infielders who have contributed since Opening Day -- Casey Blake and Orlando Hudson -- and also named a pair of his pitchers.

"My third baseman and second baseman -- those two guys are standouts," Torre said. "[Jonathan] Broxton and [Chad] Billingsley, but with pitchers, they can't take them all."

Ken Gurnick is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
https://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

Aries Location : Ohio

PostSubject: Re: Torre: Manny shouldn't be '09 All-Star   Torre: Manny shouldn't be '09 All-Star Icon_minitimeSat May 30, 2009 12:41 am

Selig: Manny vote merits scrutiny
Commissioner to keep eye on outfielder's All-Star tally

MLB.com

05/29/09 7:45 PM ET

Commissioner Bud Selig is keeping an eye on the All-Star voting numbers, and is weighing his options in the event that suspended outfielder Manny Ramirez wins election to this year's showcase event in St. Louis.

Ramirez is serving a 50-game suspension for use of a performance-enhancing drug. He will be eligible to return to the Dodgers' lineup on July 3 if none of the team's games are rained out between now and then. The All-Star Game will be played on July 14.

In the first round of voting revealed this past week, Ramirez finished fourth among National League outfielders, just 34,000 votes removed from a spot in the starting lineup.

Selig told The Arizona Republic that he is analyzing his options.

"I'm going to think about that," Selig said. "He doesn't come back till July 3. Normally, I'm sensitive to the wishes of the fans. If the fans choose someone, I'd like to honor that. But we've been testing players for a long time, and it bothers me that someone would [cheat] at this stage in the game. I've got some time to think about this one."

This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
https://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
gs78
GCL Tigers (Rookie)
GCL Tigers (Rookie)
gs78

PostSubject: Re: Torre: Manny shouldn't be '09 All-Star   Torre: Manny shouldn't be '09 All-Star Icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2009 3:37 pm

Then why have fans vote in the first place.

But I guess it is OK that A-Rod, who admitted to steroid use, can be voted in by fans

What a double standard by MLB and Selig
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Torre: Manny shouldn't be '09 All-Star   Torre: Manny shouldn't be '09 All-Star Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1