Always A Tiger
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
Always A Tiger
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
Always A Tiger
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Always A Tiger

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to learn and talk about their Favorite Baseball Team, as well as just enjoy one another's company.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Steven Moya | OF News

Go down 
AuthorMessage
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

Aries Location : Ohio

Steven Moya | OF News Empty
PostSubject: Steven Moya | OF News   Steven Moya | OF News Icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2013 7:27 pm

Steven Moya | OF News Steven_Moya_254_qix84y2y_c294ul2a

Steven Moya
2013 Rank: 11
ETA: 2016
Position: OF
Bats: L, Throws: R
Height: 6' 7", Weight: 229
Signed: Oct. 1, 2008 - DET
Scouting Grades* (present/future): Hit: 3/5 | Power: 4/6 | Run: 4/4 | Arm: 5/6 | Field: 4/5 | Overall: 4/5

Baseball players don’t often come in 6-foot-7 packages, especially not position players, but Moya has the chance to move his big, athletic frame up the ladder once he’s healthy. He was making impressive strides in his second go-round in the Midwest League, at age 19, when he needed Tommy John surgery after 59 games. Moya has the chance to have above-average power from the left side of the plate. There’s work to be done in terms of plate discipline and pitch selection, but while there’s always likely to be swing and miss to his game, he has the chance to be an average hitter, which will allow him to tap into that raw power more. He’s fairly athletic for his size and shouldn’t have a problem staying in right field, assuming his elbow gets back to 100 percent.
Back to top Go down
https://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

PostSubject: Re: Steven Moya | OF News   Steven Moya | OF News Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2013 2:18 am

February 9, 2013 at 1:15 am
Tigers prospect Steven Moya a big man with big future

By Lynn Henning
The Detroit News

Steven Moya | OF News Bilde?Site=C3&Date=20130209&Category=SPORTS0104&ArtNo=302090324&Ref=AR&MaxW=640&Border=0&Tigers-prospect-Steven-Moya-big-man-big-future
Steven Moya, 21, a 6-foot-7, 250-pound right fielder, is barely seven months recovered from ligament-replacement procedure on his right elbow. (Robin Buckson/Detroit News)

Lakeland, Fla. — Frayed elbow ligaments are tops on baseball's list of job hazards, which is why most big league clubs each year arrive at spring camp with a pitcher from somewhere in their system on the comeback from Tommy John surgery.

What makes Steven Moya's situation different is his position. He is an outfielder, a 6-foot-7, 250-pound right fielder only 21 years old and barely seven months recovered from last June's ligament-replacement procedure on his right elbow.

What makes his particular case relevant as the Tigers continue their spring training check-ins at Tigertown is that Moya is one of Detroit's top five hitting prospects.

"I'm almost there," Moya said Friday as he dressed inside the minor league clubhouse at Tigertown, where Tigers pitchers and catchers will formally begin 2013 workouts Tuesday. "Throwing 150 feet. Yessir, just about there."

Just about there. The same words could have described Moya's 2012 season. He already had ripped nine home runs and was cruising with a .288 batting average and .801 OPS (on-base plus slugging percentage) until a June 26 game at Fifth Third Field in Comstock Park, Mich., where Moya and the West Michigan Whitecaps were playing Bowling Green.

Moya parked beneath a fly ball that had been poked to right field. As he waited for it, the runner at second base set himself for the sprint to third. Moya, who throws right-handed but bats left-handed, loaded for his throw.

At release, Moya's right elbow felt as if it had exploded. The ball sailed high and far to the right.

The next day he was diagnosed with ligament damage. Surgery ended his 2012 season. And that quickly, a hitter the Tigers had internally been raving about for two years saw his breakthrough summer dissolve.

"I accept it," said Moya, a native Puerto Rican who in 2008 was signed out of La Romana, Dominican Republic. "No complaints. If you have big dreams, you have big difficulties. But I'll be fine."

The Tigers tend to agree. They were never bothered early in Moya's development when he hit too little (.204 in 2011 at West Michigan) and struck out too many times (127 in 323 at-bats).

He was young. He was at Single A at age 19. And he was learning the strike zone, which in his case is best measured in square yardage.

He was making nice progress at last season's half-way mark until the elbow balked. He was sent to Lakeland, the Tigers' organizational and rehabilitation headquarters, where he healed and toughened his rebuilt ligament.

The beefing-up process wasn't confined to his elbow. Moya one year ago weighed 220 pounds. He now checks in at 250, and if appearances mean anything, muscle has pitched a shutout against body fat.

"Been working really hard," Moya said. "Been here since last year, just working out and rehabbing."

He expects to be at full strength by April, when it's a reasonable bet Moya will shift from recovery to playing regularly for the Tigers' high-tier Single A Lakeland team. It's a natural promotion for a player who turns 22 in August and who likely would have been pushed to Lakeland late last season had the elbow not flared.

Moya might need extra time on Tigertown's practice fields. He has been hitting only off a tee and hasn't seen a live pitch in eight months.

Soon, it will be back to last year's regimen. And mission. Moya's strike-zone judgment zoomed in 2012. But if his power and natural batting skills are to push him closer to Detroit, laying off the ugly stuff and slamming a hitter's pitches are basic job requirements.

"Actually, last year, I did well," said Moya, a genial man who makes frequent references to "God" and to his faith. "I let go of bad pitches. No curveballs in the dirt.

"I was being really selective."

The Tigers want him to be at least as picky in 2013. But first and foremost, they want him healthy. A full season on the farm, the Tigers believe, will confirm what they have been quietly saying for some time now: Moya has a chance to be a middle-of-the-order menace.

lynn.henning@detroitnews.com

twitter.com/Lynn_Henning

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130209/SPORTS0104/302090324#ixzz2KTSkVSCH
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

PostSubject: Re: Steven Moya | OF News   Steven Moya | OF News Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2013 2:36 am

Top Prospects: Moya, DET

02/14/13
00:38

2013 MLB.com Top Prospects: Moya has the chance to have a good amount of power from the left side of the plate
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

PostSubject: Re: Steven Moya | OF News   Steven Moya | OF News Icon_minitimeWed Mar 13, 2013 11:47 pm

Moya impressive in exhibition game

By Jason Beck / MLB.com | 3/13/2013 6:23 P.M. ET

LAKELAND, Fla. -- With a Major League team facing a Division II college program, there aren't many impressions to be made. Steven Moya, however, stood out with his 3-for-3, three-run performance. He isn't anywhere near threatening the big leagues, but his talent is evident.

Moya was one of the outfielders the Tigers brought over from Minor League camp to enter Wednesday's exhibition against Florida Southern once the starting lineup had left. At 6-foot-7 and 229 pounds, he's hard to miss.

With a single, double and triple Wednesday, he would've been tough to miss regardless of his size.

"He's a real talent that got hurt last year," manager Jim Leyland said. "He's a prospect. He's a good one. That's where he stands right now, but he's an impressive young man."

Team president/general manager Dave Dombrowski also mentioned Moya earlier in the day when talking about the organization's outfield depth. He's ranked by MLB.com as the organization's No. 11 prospect.

He had Tommy John surgery to repair a ligament tear he suffered in his right elbow on a throw from right field last year. He was batting .288 at the time at low Class A West Michigan with 14 doubles, three triples, nine home runs and 47 RBIs.

Now, the 21-year-old says he's ready to go.

"In the offseason, I was here in Lakeland working out, rehabbing and trying to get back," Moya said. "Everything's good, thank god. Everybody told me it was going to take nine months, a year. I said, 'No, it's not going to happen. I'll be back soon.' Now I'm here, playing again, thank god."

Jason Beck is a reporter for MLB.com. Read Beck's Blog and follow him on Twitter @beckjason. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

PostSubject: Re: Steven Moya | OF News   Steven Moya | OF News Icon_minitimeSat Mar 15, 2014 12:08 am

Fields, Travis, Lennerton head six roster cuts

By Jason Beck / MLB.com | 3/14/2014 6:56 P.M. ET

LAKELAND, Fla. -- Daniel Fields, Devon Travis and Jordan Lennerton all made impressions on Tigers officials to help their case for eventually making it to the Major Leagues. None of them were going to make the Opening Day roster. Thus, they were among the second wave of roster cuts as the Tigers trimmed their ranks Friday.

Lennerton, Fields and Justin Miller were optioned to Triple-A Toledo, while third baseman Francisco Martinez was optioned to Double-A Erie. Travis, as a non-roster invitee, was assigned to Minor League camp; he's expected to join the Double-A club after hitting up a storm at both Class A levels last year.

The Tigers later optioned outfielder Steven Moya to Erie after Friday's 12-6 win over the Nationals.

Of the six cuts, Miller had the one real chance to make the Opening Day roster. The hard-throwing right-hander, signed last fall out of the Rangers' farm system, was a darkhorse candidate for a bullpen spot. He gave up runs in each of his first four outings this spring, which combined with strong performances from others in camp left Miller on the outside of the battle. He gave up five runs, three earned, on six hits in five innings, walking two and striking out six.

For Lennerton, a first baseman in the same organization as Miguel Cabrera and Victor Martinez, an Opening Day spot would've been a long shot unless somebody was injured. The 28-year-old went 5-for-21 with two RBIs in his first big league camp. He'll return for a second season with the Mud Hens.

"I think I showed them that I am able to play at this level," Lennerton said. "Obviously things may not have gone exactly as I wanted, but I put together some good at-bats, I played some solid defense, and I think the staff knows I'm not afraid to work and I'm always putting in my time."

He'll be joined by Fields, who's headed to the same ballpark where his father, current Tigers hitting coordinator Bruce Fields, managed at Toledo in 2001 and '02 before joining then-manager Alan Trammell's staff in Detroit as hitting coach. Now, the younger Fields -- born and raised in Detroit -- will be one step away from making the big leagues himself.

With no time above Double-A, the 23-year-old Fields was never seen as a candidate to fill the left-handed-hitting platoon role that opened up in left field when Andy Dirks required back surgery earlier this month. He went 3-for-14 with no RBIs this spring, walking three times with seven strikeouts.

"I think when I got in there, I played as hard as I could and did everything I could to play well and show them what I had to do," said Fields, who will play center field in Toledo. "Hopefully I'll go to Minor League camp, play well, start the season off in Toledo and hopefully I get an opportunity up to Detroit soon."

Travis is an up-and-coming second-base prospect who made a fresh set of impressions with a new staff. He went 5-for-18 in scattering playing time this spring.

He'll be joined in Erie by Martinez, who returns to the same level where he earned an All-Star Futures Game selection in 2011. He spent last summer at Class A Advanced Lakeland after the Tigers reacquired him from Seattle.

Martinez went 5-for-17 in 12 games.

Moya was the furthest from the big leagues going into camp but made a big enough impression to change the perception on his development. The lanky left-handed hitter went 7-for-21 with two doubles, a triple and five RBIs, falling a home run shy of the cycle in a four-RBI performance against the Cardinals on Monday in Jupiter, Fla.

Moya's name came up when the Tigers were discussing their options in left field with Dirks out, manager Brad Ausmus said.

"You can make an argument that he was the MVP of the camp," Ausmus said. "The problem is he was in A-ball and he really just needs to play. He needs to get experience. We certainly think the ceiling is high for him, but asking him to go from 90 games in A-ball to the big leagues is an enormous jump."

Moya was neither stunned nor disappointed by the decision.

"That's OK, I'm not upset," Moya said. "I'm just going to keep doing my job, working hard, keep going forward, thinking positive. The only thing you have control of is what you do every day and how your work."

Asked whether he felt he proved what he can do, Moya said, "A lot. I know now they know that I can hit. They know I can run. Now they know I can play the outfield. I let them know what I want, and what I want is to be in the big leagues."

The moves reduce the Tigers' Spring Training roster to 40 players with two weeks to go before breaking camp.

Jason Beck is a reporter for MLB.com. Read Beck's Blog and follow him on Twitter @beckjason. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steven Moya | OF News   Steven Moya | OF News Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Steven Moya | OF News
Page 1 of 1