Always A Tiger
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
Always A Tiger
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
Always A Tiger
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Always A Tiger

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to learn and talk about their Favorite Baseball Team, as well as just enjoy one another's company.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Eddie Bonine NEWS

Go down 
AuthorMessage
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

Aries Location : Ohio

Eddie Bonine NEWS Empty
PostSubject: Eddie Bonine NEWS   Eddie Bonine NEWS Icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 10:52 pm

Bonine gains strength from his mom
Mother of Tigers right-hander dealing with cancer

By Jason Beck / MLB.com

05/08/09 10:00 AM ET

DETROIT -- Eddie Bonine had every reason to be excited to make the Tigers out of Spring Training. He played six Minor League seasons without being invited to a big league camp, five-plus years before getting a midseason call or even being on the 40-man roster.

If anyone deserved to be happy, it was Bonine. But as soon as he got the message from manager Jim Leland, Bonine was thinking of his mom, whose battle with cancer has been a tougher struggle than anything he has gone through.

And when he made the early morning call to her in Arizona, they looked down the Tigers' schedule.

"She was very excited, very excited," Bonine recalled. "I think it was one of those things where she realized there was a better chance I'd be out in the West a few more times. So I think that was good. It was a sigh of relief on my part, too, as well as her, that with a shorter day's worth of travel, she was possibly going to see me play again."

Not long ago, that used to be a no-brainer. When the Tigers purchased Bonine's contract last summer and put him in their rotation, Danelle Eckman traveled to see her son's starts. She's a baseball fanatic who roots for her son.

She's also a breast cancer survivor. But for the last six months or so, the fight has been a lot more difficult.

"It kind of resurfaced," Bonine said. "It's gotten a lot worse. She did a lot of the treatments, and [doctors] were pretty happy with it. And then about six, seven months ago, it came back. It's progressed pretty quick since then."

They knew it was a possibility. Though she was doing well since her diagnosis in 2006, the cancer was advanced when they discovered it. A regular mammogram didn't show it, Bonine said, but she still complained of pain.

Doctors tried to find the cause until a followup ultrasound and MRI exam revealed their worst fears. The tumor was there, and it already was significant.

"It was pretty late," Bonine said, "and it was a pretty aggressive cancer. There's a chance it could've been detected, possibly earlier if it would've been more of a mandatory thing with ultrasound or MRIs."

An aggressive series of treatments seemingly had it in remission. Last fall, however, it came back. Worse, it had spread. The tumor they found was in her shoulder, near the skin surface.

It should've been a pretty good time in their lives. Bonine survived an injury scare, and Detroit kept him on the 40-man roster over the offseason until the very end. Even so, they outrighted him with the guarantee that he'd be in Major League camp.

At any other time, she might have made the trip from their Arizona home to Lakeland, Fla. But with her latest round of treatment, she just couldn't do it.

"That was actually during some of the tougher times for her," Bonine said. "Some of it now is more pain management kind of stuff, and they've got a good grasp on that. But during Spring Training, she was going through a lot. She was getting zapped. She didn't have the energy. She didn't have the tolerance to really be able to travel out to Florida for any of Spring Training."

So while Bonine tried to keep his focus in Florida and his goal on Detroit, an unlikely chance for a roster spot that grew stronger with each game, his mind was in Arizona. While she made it through her treatment, he made it through roster cuts.

She left him, however, with a message.

"Prior to leaving him in Lakeland, I just told him to fight for what he wanted," Eckman said in an email. "No matter what happened in baseball, I was so proud of the man he had become. Baseball was really a great bonus in his life."

Once he got the nod, once he called his mom with the news, their minds were on a West Coast trip in mid-April. With Joel Zumaya, Jeremy Bonderman and Dontrelle Willis all rehabbing their way back from injuries toward possible returns, nothing guaranteed Bonine still would be on the team then.

Still, he was in the bullpen when the Tigers flew out to Seattle in mid-April. His mom, stepfather and their family flew from Arizona to join them for the series.

She didn't get to see him pitch in any of the three games, but it didn't really matter.

"When I left Eddie at the airport in February, I really wasn't sure if I would ever see him on this earth again," Eckman said. "That is a huge, gut-wrenching possibility for a loving family. ... Unfortunately, Eddie didn't get to pitch during the Seattle series. However, this was never the real reason we went there in the first place. Time together was the reason."

Bonine made one more appearance against the Angels before he was optioned to Triple-A Toledo. Still, when he pitches, his thoughts of his mom aren't far. He has a pink ribbon embroidered onto the back of his glove, courtesy of Nike.

He's back with the Mud Hens, fighting for another call to the big leagues. But as tough as that can be, it's all relative for him.

"You pull a lot of strength from it," Bonine said. "It puts life in perspective. This is definitely serious business, and we're out there trying to win ballgames and be professional on the field, but there are bigger things in life. If you feel like you have a bad day in the field, obviously, it doesn't compare at all."

Eckman is going through chemotherapy and radiation treatments, Bonine said, but the pain is being managed well. Traveling out east to see her son pitch still would be tough, but the chance for a return to the Majors gives hope.

"I have been one of the luckiest people on earth," Eckman said, "especially over the past three years. I have been physically, emotionally and spiritually supported by my husband of nearly 20 years, my kids and their spouses/significant others, my siblings and their extended families, my father, my wonderful friends of over 18 years and so many others that continue to help me battle this disease. With their love and support, I will continue to fight for one more phone call, one more baseball game, one more family outing."

Understandably, Bonine is far from any high-profile position to be a spokesperson, but he and his family try to get the message out to friends, teammates and their families. Early diagnosis is critical, and sometimes a mammogram is just the start. Fortunately, Bonine said, MRI exams and ultrasounds have become important parts of the process.

That's his message.

"Don't take anything lightly," Bonine said. "She had to really push to get to the point where she could get an ultrasound or an MRI, just being adamant about it."

Jason Beck is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Last edited by TigersForever on Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

Eddie Bonine NEWS Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eddie Bonine NEWS   Eddie Bonine NEWS Icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2009 10:15 pm

Bonine coping with mother's passing
Pitcher mourning loss of biggest fan while at Triple-A Toledo

By Jason Beck / MLB.com

07/20/09 8:05 PM ET

TOLEDO -- Eddie Bonine came into this season pitching for his mom, his biggest fan. He knew the time would come soon, likely this season, when he would have to do so without her. He also knew she would want him pitching anyway, doing what he loved.

He drew from her strength, and in many ways, still does. That didn't make the call he received near the end of May any easier.

The call came from Bonine's wife. The breast cancer that his mom, Danelle Eckman, had been battling for the better part of three years was starting to take more and more of a toll. She probably didn't have much time, something they expected when she was told last fall that the cancer had returned.

"[We knew] it might be a few days or a few weeks," Bonine said, "but it wasn't going to be too long."

He wasn't just losing his mom, or his best friend. He was losing his biggest fan, and in some ways one of his best coaches. He had spent the past few months as a sort of goodbye, bringing her on the road to Seattle in April while he was pitching with the Tigers and she could still travel. After being optioned to Triple-A Toledo days later, he talked about her for a Mother's Day story on MLB.com to raise awareness for breast cancer.

When he saw his mom back at home in Arizona, on the couch, talking with family and friends, he couldn't quite believe it. She looked way too strong to be in her final days. But as doctors explained to him, there's usually some time where the fight in them allows them to stay strong for a while.

"I went back there for two or three days, and she wanted me to go back here and pitch," Bonine said. "That was pretty tough."

He stayed with her nonetheless. He has been back pitching for almost a month now, but it still hasn't been easy.

Pitching runs in the family. Eckman's father, Bonine's grandfather, taught her how to pitch at age eight with the windmill motion, and it took years for opponents to catch up. She dominated youth leagues and into high school. In her final days last month, she and her sister, Janean Farley, were recalling the day she pitched 18 scoreless innings for Mesa Community College.

She married after her college career ended, and soon gave birth to Eddie. From the time he began pitching, his career was in many ways hers, which is what made for such an emotional moment on the phone when he made the Tigers' Opening Day roster.

"Danelle was quite the athlete in her own right," Farley wrote in an email, "but it was Eddie and his well-being and success that were her main focus. Danelle guided Eddie with loving discipline. She so wanted to live to see Eddie's progress and success."

Now, he's had to pitch without those phone calls, without the same cheers. His strength comes from the memories, from the moments he was able to spend with her over the past several months.

As others have observed, he's showing much the same strength that she did, even as she was fighting a battle she knew was a long shot.

He felt bad enough about leaving the team that he stuck around for a couple days after getting the call from his wife, just so he could make his scheduled start. He gave up seven earned runs on eight hits over 1 2/3 innings in that June 1 outing.

"You try to go out there and try to be professional," Bonine said. "I felt fine, but I guess it's one of those things where, in the back of your mind, it's a little bit murky."

Bonine spent about two weeks back home. He was with his mom and the rest of the family when she passed away April 9. She went on her own terms, at home with loved ones.

"Her attitude was just so positive with all that," Bonine said. "She knew that her odds weren't good, but she was so positive. She didn't want to feel that way. They exhausted everything in terms of treatments."

He spent about a week helping his stepfather and siblings plan the services. He returned June 23 and did about as well as he could, allowing four runs on six hits over four innings. Then he gave up 10 hits in each of his next two outings. He was getting used to pitching again, but that was just part of it.

"He went through some time there where he was physically all right, but mentally he wasn't," Mud Hens manager Larry Parrish said.

Parrish certainly understood, as did everyone in the Tiger organization. When he left, they told him to take as much time as he needed. They expected a transition to get back, even if Bonine wasn't quite prepared for it.

To Bonine, this is like a sanctuary for him, a place to help him cope.

"It's still tough, but I feel for my wife, my step-dad, who maybe don't have as much to come back to," Bonine said. "I've had a group of teammates to be around, to provide some sense of normalcy."

Slowly but surely, that normalcy is returning. After entering July with an 0-4 record on the season with the Hens, he has quality starts in each of his last three outings. He pitched an eight-inning gem Sunday at Buffalo, scattering two runs over eight innings.

"It may have taken him this long to mentally get back," Parrish said.

He's back, but his mind will always be on his mom. He still wears the glove with the embroidered pink ribbon that Nike provided him. He has written "MOM" on the bottom of the bill of his cap. Fittingly, his next start here Friday will be on the day that the Mud Hens wear pink jerseys in support of Susan G. Komen for the Cure.

"Hopefully," Bonine said, "they can help somebody."

Jason Beck is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

Eddie Bonine NEWS Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eddie Bonine NEWS   Eddie Bonine NEWS Icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2009 6:22 pm

Tigers option Bonine to Toledo
BECK'S BLOG
Posted on August 18, 2009 at 3:32 PM

The Tigers decided to go a pitcher short in the bullpen for a little while to make room for Aubrey Huff. Detroit optioned Eddie Bonine to Triple-A Toledo. We'll see how they cope.
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

Eddie Bonine NEWS Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eddie Bonine NEWS   Eddie Bonine NEWS Icon_minitimeSat Mar 06, 2010 9:53 am

Bonine as Mr. Reliable
BECK'S BLOG
Posted on March 6, 2010 at 1:27 AM

Eddie Bonine said he's fine if Jim Leyland says he knows what to expect from him. In fact, he's kind of flattered. If he's Mr. Reliable in the race for rotation spots, that's cool with him. He hasn't really been that kind of guy before.

He has been the overlooked guy before, but he has had a habit of defying expectations.

"It sounds like a compliment," Bonine said of Leyland's remarks after his two innings Friday against the Astros. "I think I've kind of been that kind of pitcher the last few years. Just being in that discussion as far as a guy that could possibly start for them, that's where I want to be. There's definitely a business side of it, but I know that when it comes to on the field, Dave [Dombrowski] and Jim [Leyland], they want to go out there and win ballgames. The rest of that stuff is going to take care of itself."

Right now, Bonine is trying to take care of his pitches, The knuckleball, that unpredictable pitch that the Tigers like and want to see him throw, is the last pitch in the package, and it was the pitch that gave him some trouble Friday.

Bonine gave his three doubles in his two innings of work, and two of them came off knuckleballs that didn't knuckle. It sounds like the pitch isn't coming along, but it's a pitch that he can only really hone in games. It isn't a practice pitch for him.

"It's one of those pitches that when I throw it, it's full arm speed," Bonine said. "It's not just a different grip. It's a different type of pitch. It seems like that's the last pitch that comes for me, that good release point on that pitch. It's definitely a feel pitch, and last year I got to the point where I could take some off it and kind of pitch off of it at different speeds. That's one of those things that just comes from being out there and throwing it and getting a better feel for it. That's where I'd like to be. I'm going to get back to that, how I finished last year as far as being able to add and subtract from that pitch. But it's just a feel pitch."

Once he gets that pitch down, you're probably going to see more swings and misses from him. But it takes time, which is a tough situation for someone fighting for a roster spot. For now, once he got into trouble, he said he "had to go to work." In other words, he had to get away from the knuckler for a little bit.

That goes back to the difference between Bonine and a knuckleballer like Tim Wakefield. Bonine throws a knuckleball -- throws two, if you count the different speeds -- but he isn't a knuckleball pitcher. In other words, he doesn't live and die on that pitch. He'll throw not only fastballs, but a breaking ball that some confuse with the knuckler.

With all those variables, it's new for him to be considered Mr. Reliable. But he'll take it.

"I'm just still that guy who's trying to get up there and continuing to prove myself," Bonine said. "It's a tremendous compliment, obviously, what Skip was saying, that he knows what he's getting with me."
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

Eddie Bonine NEWS Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eddie Bonine NEWS   Eddie Bonine NEWS Icon_minitimeFri Apr 02, 2010 7:01 am

Bonine makes use of knuckler
Reliever tosses four shutout innings relying heavily on pitch

By Jason Beck / MLB.com

04/01/10 6:36 PM ET

LAKELAND, Fla. -- Eddie Bonine throws a knuckleball, but he isn't really a knuckleball pitcher. He doesn't really throw it enough to consider himself that. On Thursday, however, he was a little bit closer to that.

For the final starting assignment of Spring Training, Tigers coaches sent Bonine to the mound with instructions to throw more knucklers and see what sort of reactions he got. The results were four scoreless innings, three strikeouts and more than a few tentative swings from a Braves team that had several Major League hitters in their starting lineup.

If he can take that into the regular season, both he and the Tigers would be pretty happy.

"He really had the knuckleball going today," manager Jim Leyland said. "That's the best I've ever seen it."

Bonine was throwing a knuckleball in high school, before he even became a pitcher, but it isn't the anchor of his arsenal. He also has a traditional repertoire that includes a four-seam fastball that topped out in the low 90s on Thursday, plus a changeup and sinker. The knuckleball complements it and makes the changeup and fastball more effective pitches.

He has worked this spring on not only honing the knuckleball, but throwing more than one version of it. While his slow version has more movement, he has a hard knuckleball that throws hitters off. Instead of throwing the knuckler once in a while as a two-strike pitch, Bonine mixed in a little bit of everything Thursday in different counts.

"You don't want to throw it too often early in the count, but for myself, that's something that gets in their heads," Bonine said. "That's something they have to worry about later on in the at-bat or it just kind of affects. It's something they don't normally see, so if I can command that and throw it in the strike zone, that's going to help me out a lot."
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

Eddie Bonine NEWS Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eddie Bonine NEWS   Eddie Bonine NEWS Icon_minitimeSun Apr 11, 2010 10:46 pm

Bonine OK after cramp under rib cage
Reliever exited victory in ninth inning after losing his breath

By Jason Beck / MLB.com

04/11/10 7:39 PM ET

DETROIT -- Tigers reliever Eddie Bonine is expected to be fine after he left Sunday's win in the ninth inning. Bonine said he suffered a cramp underneath his rib cage on his next-to-last pitch to Lou Marson leading off the ninth inning.

Bonine tried throwing one more pitch and found himself catching his breath. That's when head athletic trainer Kevin Rand and manager Jim Leyland went to the mound.

"I threw a pitch and it kind of knotted up on me," Bonine said. "I've never cramped up underneath my rib before, so I don't really know what that was. I just cramped up and I just needed to take a big breath, and I was fine. I tried to catch my breath and they came out."

Tests conducted after he left the mound showed nothing worse. Bonine will likely rest for a day or two, but that would've been expected anyway after throwing three-plus innings and 49 pitches of relief.

Bonine's relief prevented what could have been a procession of relievers once Justin Verlander left with nobody out in the sixth. Bonine gave up a two-run homer to Jhonny Peralta upon arrival and a solo homer to Shin-Soo Choo, but then recorded five straight groundouts.

Phil Coke replaced Bonine with a full count and gave up a single to Marson, but got a lunging catch by Brandon Inge on Asdrubal Cabrera's sharp liner before induced an inning-ending double play from Michael Brantley.
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

Eddie Bonine NEWS Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eddie Bonine NEWS   Eddie Bonine NEWS Icon_minitimeSat Jun 19, 2010 11:28 pm

Bonine keeps coming up big for Detroit

By Alex DiFilippo / MLB.com

06/19/10 6:50 PM ET

DETROIT -- Tigers reliever Eddie Bonine entered a tie game with the bases loaded and one out in the sixth inning on Friday. But it took only four pitches for him to retire two batters and get out of the jam in Detroit's 7-5 win over the D-backs.

Bonine struck out Justin Upton with three straight pitches then forced Miguel Montero into a light grounder back to the mound on the first pitch.

He was so effective that Tigers manager Jim Leyland called Bonine the "unsung hero" of the game -- as much of the credit on the night went to third baseman Brandon Inge, who recorded a triple in the eighth inning to give Detroit the lead.

"[Bonine] got some huge, huge outs when we needed it," Leyland said. "He didn't let it get out of hand. No question about it, he was probably the most valuable pitcher [Friday]. He's done a whale of a job."

Bonine threw a shutout seventh inning and retired a batter in the eighth, paving the way for Phil Coke to enter before closer Jose Valverde shut the door in the ninth.

Leyland said he wouldn't use Bonine again on Saturday. The right-hander is 3-0 with a 2.10 ERA in 24 appearances and 34 1/3 innings pitched this season. Left-handers are batting .192 against him this season, while right-handers are hitting .200.

"He's done a great job for us," Leyland said. "He takes the ball and throws strikes. He's a real valuable guy."

Alex DiFilippo is an associate reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

Eddie Bonine NEWS Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eddie Bonine NEWS   Eddie Bonine NEWS Icon_minitimeThu Nov 04, 2010 11:45 pm

Tigers trade Dlugach, outright Bonine, three others
BECK'S BLOG
Posted on November 4, 2010 at 2:19 PM

Brent Dlugach began the year as a potential Tigers infield prospect in the upper ranks of their farm system, and went into the season as somebody to watch after an impressive Spring Training. Now, he's part of the Red Sox ranks, having been traded Thursday as part of the Tigers' moves take four Minor League free agents off their 40-man roster.

Also removed from the roster were right-handers Eddie Bonine and Jay Sborz, catcher Max St. Pierre and outfielder Jeff Frazier. All of them were outrighted to Triple-A Toledo, making them eligible to become six-year minor league free agents. Bonine elected to become a free agent immediately, while the others will become free agents on Nov. 6.

Of the group, Bonine had by far the most time in the big leagues this year, having spent the entire season in Detroit's bullpen. The 29-year-old knuckleballer went 4-1 with a 4.63 ERA in 47 appearances, all but one of them in relief.

Bonine went into the All-Star break with a 4-0 record and a 2.81 ERA before struggling down the stretch, allowing 22 earned runs on 47 hits over 26 1/3 innings. Opponents batted .395 against him after the break. He was inconsistent with his knuckleball, especially late in the season, and hitters began to simply sit on his fastball.

Dlugach was briefly seen as a potential shortstop option, but a slow start at Triple-A Toledo and a high strikeout total left him looking up at the big leagues. He batted .258 for the year with the Mud Hens with six home runs, 41 RBIs, 12 stolen bases and 149 strikeouts over 117 games.

The Red Sox will send over a player to be named later or cash as part of the trade.

St. Pierre finally made it to the big leagues after 14 years in the Minor Leagues, all but one of them in the Tigers organization. He'll most likely have a spot back in the system if he wants it, but it remains to be seen what he wants to do.
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

Eddie Bonine NEWS Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eddie Bonine NEWS   Eddie Bonine NEWS Icon_minitimeSat Nov 13, 2010 12:07 am

Last Updated: November 12. 2010 9:27PM
Tigers trade Eddie Bonine; Marlins deal former Tiger Andrew Miller
Detroit News staff and wires / Detroit News staff and wires

Detroit— Eddie Bonine is officially an ex-Tiger.

Fox Sports reported Friday afternoon that the right-hander had agreed to terms with the Phillies on a minor league deal. MLB.com followed up by reporting the Tigers made a "last-minute push" to bring him back, but couldn't match the other offer.

Bonine, 29, was 4-3 with a 4.63 ERA this past season. All but one of his 47 appearances was out of the bullpen.

For his major league career, all in the past three seasons with Detroit, he is 7-3 with a 4.74 ERA. The Tigers acquired him from the Padres in the 2005 Rule 5 draft.

The Tigers announced last week Bonine was being outrighted to Triple-A Toledo. He chose to become a free agent.

With the Phillies, he has a good shot of getting plenty of work in the bullpen — especially if they don't re-sign Jose Contreras, Chad Durbin and J.C. Romero, all free agents and major contributors in 2010. Durbin also is a former Tiger. He left the club after the 2007 season, signed with the Phillies and has made 194 appearances over the last three years.

Miller traded to Red Sox

Andrew Miller has been acquired by the Boston Red Sox from the Florida Marlins for Dustin Richardson in a trade of left-handed pitchers.

Miller, 25, taken by Detroit with the sixth overall pick in the 2006 amateur draft, was 1-5 with an 8.54 ERA in seven starts and two relief appearances for Florida over the final 11/2 months of the season. He was a combined 2-9 with a 5.35 ERA at Double-A Jacksonville and Class A Jupiter.

Miller was a teammate of Red Sox reliever Daniel Bard at North Carolina. He is 15-26 with a 5.84 ERA in five major league seasons.

Richardson, 26, had a 4.15 ERA in 26 relief appearances with the Red Sox last season.

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20101112/SPORTS0104/11120438/Tigers-trade-Eddie-Bonine--Marlins-deal-former-Tiger-Andrew-Miller#ixzz158ExRPjZ
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Eddie Bonine NEWS Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eddie Bonine NEWS   Eddie Bonine NEWS Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Eddie Bonine NEWS
Page 1 of 1