Always A Tiger
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
Always A Tiger
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
Always A Tiger
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Always A Tiger

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to learn and talk about their Favorite Baseball Team, as well as just enjoy one another's company.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Prince center of attention on arrival

Go down 
AuthorMessage
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

Aries Location : Ohio

Prince center of attention on arrival Empty
PostSubject: Prince center of attention on arrival   Prince center of attention on arrival Icon_minitimeMon Feb 20, 2012 6:28 pm

New Tigers slugger shows up to camp ready to go, talks to Miggy
By Jason Beck / MLB.com | 02/20/12 2:29 PM EST

LAKELAND, Fla. -- Monday started the new beginning for Prince Fielder. But in many ways, his arrival in Tigers camp was a reunion of sorts.

He woke up his two young sons Monday morning, put them into the car, packed up his gear, put on some music and made the 35-minute drive from Orlando to Lakeland. He pulled into the parking lot at Tigertown and walked the same grounds that served as a playground for him two decades ago when he was around their age. He saw a new group of teammates and coaches, but at least one familiar face in clubhouse manager Jim Schmakel, who had the job when his dad, Cecil, was here in the early 1990s.

Prince was a budding presence then. He's the star attraction now.

"I know I grew up around Tiger Stadium and some of the fans," Fielder said Monday morning outside Joker Marchant Stadium, "but I didn't think they'd remember me that much. But seeing that they do, it's pretty awesome. I'm glad I'm part of it."

On the day of the Tigers' first workout for pitchers and catchers, including the return to action for reigning American League MVP Justin Verlander, their new slugging first baseman was the center of attention. Though Tigers position players don't officially begin workouts until Friday, he was the latest Tiger who couldn't wait any longer.

"I just wanted to get here," Fielder said. "I had nothing else to do."

Thus, four weeks after Fielder agreed to a nine-year, $214 million contract with the Tigers, he put on his gear and got to work. He sounded very much like someone who was ready to put the free-agent spotlight he had for most of the winter behind him and get back to baseball.

"It feels good," he said. "It feels normal. I'm just ready to get out there playing."

Games are still a week and a half away. While pitchers and catchers took to the back fields for defensive drills and footwork before their first formal throwing sessions under the eyes of manager Jim Leyland and pitching coach Jeff Jones, Fielder and other Tigers position players worked out on their own, waiting for their chance to take batting practice later in the day.

They weren't the only ones. Fans, several of them Michigan transplants or winter snowbirds, flocked to the back fields to catch their first glimpse of Tigers in gear since the Rangers eliminated them in the AL Championship Series. Signing Fielder in reaction to Victor Martinez's season-ending knee injury was the cornerstone of owner Mike Ilitch's attempt to push his team over the top.

In the weeks since, fans and pundits have envisioned what Fielder and Miguel Cabrera can do hitting next to each other. Fittingly, Cabrera was one of the first players to greet Fielder when he walked into the clubhouse.

"We talked a little bit," Fielder said. "He talked to my two boys, made them feel welcome. No, nothing too groundbreaking."

Both were looking forward to seeing their names in the lineup next to each other.

"Whenever you see an MVP-type player hitting in front of you, it's always motivation, because you see greatness every night," Fielder said. "I'm sure Miguel's going to do the same thing. I'm looking forward to it."

Cabrera sounded much the same tone.

"All I know is I'm excited," Cabrera said later. "We'll see what happens. We have to do it first."

Cabrera, who arrived in camp on Saturday, will begin his work at third base this week to fit Fielder into the lineup without either player becoming a full-time designated hitter. Neither Cabrera nor Fielder seemed concerned about that on Monday.

"No, I think he's good," Fielder said. "I've got to worry about my game at first. I think he's good. He knows what he's doing. I've just got to make sure I catch it when he throws it."

As for Fielder's work the next few days until full-squad workouts begin Friday, it won't be too detailed. He doesn't anticipate much trouble getting adjusted to a new crop of infielders after seven years in Milwaukee. After a few games, he indicated, he'll have a good idea what to expect.

That will come later. For now, he'll be hitting. For all that has been made of young Fielder's home runs as a kid at Tiger Stadium in Detroit, he said he never hit on the field at Marchant Stadium. He'll get his chance soon enough.

"I'm just going to hit and take ground balls," he said. "Just the regular baseball stuff. Nothing special."

That last term might be a rarity around him for a while.

Jason Beck is a reporter for MLB.com. Read Beck's Blog and follow him on Twitter @beckjason. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
https://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com

Page 1 of 1