Always A Tiger
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
Always A Tiger
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
Always A Tiger
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Always A Tiger

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to learn and talk about their Favorite Baseball Team, as well as just enjoy one another's company.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Casper Wells News

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

Aries Location : Ohio

Casper Wells News - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Casper Wells News   Casper Wells News - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 30, 2011 3:09 pm

Tigers land Fister from Mariners
Pauley also to Detroit for Furbush, Wells, prospect Martinez
By Evan Drellich / MLB.com | 07/30/11 12:05 PM ET

Already known to be looking for a starting pitcher, the Tigers reportedly found one on Saturday morning, a day before the non-waiver Trade Deadline passes.

Then they checked bullpen help off their list, too.

Detroit has acquired right-handed starter Doug Fister and right-handed reliever David Pauley from the Mariners, according to CBS Sports' Danny Knobler. Knobler reported the deal includes right-hander Charlie Furbush, outfielder Casper Wells and third-base prospect Francisco Martinez as pieces headed to Seattle.

Fister, 27 and in his third big league season, has a 3.33 ERA with a 1.17 WHIP despite his 3-12 record. He's not a strikeout pitcher, with just 89 in 146 innings, but he also walks very few, with an average of 1.97 per nine innings this season.

Pauley, 28, has a 2.15 ERA in 39 appearances and 54 1/3 innings, with just two home runs allowed. He's struck out 34 and walked 16.

"I look at it like Christmas," Tigers manager Jim Leyland said of the Deadline on Wednesday. "If you get something, good. If you don't, you survive."

Part of the value of Pauley and Fister is that both are under team control until 2015.

Wells, 26, is hitting .257 with four home runs and a .323 on-base percentage in 64 games this season. Furbush, a 25-year-old rookie and a fourth-round pick in 2007, is 1-3 with a 3.62 ERA in 32 1/3 innings and 17 appearances, two of which were starts.

Martinez, a 20-year-old from Venezuela, is hitting .282 with seven home runs in 91 games at Double-A Erie. He signed with the Tigers in 2007.

Evan Drellich is a reporter for MLB.com. Follow him on Twitter @EvanDrellich. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
https://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

PostSubject: Re: Casper Wells News   Casper Wells News - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2011 8:24 pm

Wells, Furbush ready for fresh start in Seattle
By Greg Johns / MLB.com | 07/31/11 7:00 PM ET

SEATTLE -- Casper Wells says he doesn't need any more of the "friendly ghost" jokes about his name, thank you very much. But the Mariners' newest outfielder came across as a very friendly baseball player on Sunday in his first meeting with the media following his trade to Seattle a day earlier.

Manager Eric Wedge wasted no time getting the outgoing Wells into action, as the 26-year-old New York native started in left field and hit seventh in Sunday's 8-1 loss to the Rays. Wells went 1-for-4 and drove in the Mariners' lone run.

"I'm eager to play," Wells said before the game. "I haven't played in a couple of days, so I'm champing at the bit to get out there.

"This is a beautiful field. When I came here earlier in the year, I was a little overwhelmed at how big it is. It's the same size as Qwest Field when I was driving by. I'm thinking, 'I'm going to play in this thing?' When I got out on the field, I was like, 'Wow, this place is so nice. You can breathe out here.'"

As for the unique name? Wells is the first Casper to play in the Major Leagues -- Robert Anthony Asbjornson, nicknamed Casper, played parts of four seasons from 1928-32, according to baseball-reference.com -- but he's certainly not the first Casper Wells in the world.

"I'm the fifth Casper Wells. It's been around for five generations. It was around before the cartoon, so all friendly ghost jokes can be put aside," Wells said with a grin. "I'm surprised I don't hear them that much from the away fans. They just sometimes make fun of my parents for naming me that. But I'm the fifth, so take it up with my great great grandfather."

Left-hander Charlie Furbush, the other Major League player acquired in Saturday's trade of Doug Fister and David Pauley to the Tigers, will work out of the bullpen for now, with the goal of moving him into the rotation for a look once he builds his arm strength back up.

Furbush came on in the eighth inning Sunday and yielded a solo home run to Sean Rodriguez, but he rebounded to retire the side and threw 13 of his 21 pitches for strikes.

The 25-year-old said he's always been a starter until this season with the Tigers, when he made 15 relief appearances and two starts. He said he prefers being in the rotation, if possible.

"I do. We'll see what happens," said the youngster from Louisiana State University. "I was talking to Wedge about it. We'll kind of take it a day at a time and go from there. ... I'd like to say I could go right now. But at the end of the day, they're probably going to stretch me out at least a couple of times before they put me in the rotation."

The 6-foot-5 lefty started nine games for Triple-A Toledo earlier this season, going 5-3 with a 3.17 ERA and posting 61 strikeouts in 54 innings. He last started on July 14 and threw roughly 90 pitches.

With the Tigers, Furbush started twice in early July, but lasted just 4 2/3 and 2 2/3 innings (0-2, 8.59 ERA). He was very effective in his bullpen stints, with a 2.16 ERA over 25 innings in 15 outings.

Drafted by the Tigers in the fourth round in 2007, this is Furbush's first time being traded and he acknowledged that the experience was a bit of a whirlwind.

"It happened pretty quick, that's for sure," he said. "I found out the news yesterday, had to pack up my place and head on a plane to get here. But it's part of the business. I'm excited and looking forward to see what happens."

Furbush and Wells were living in the same building in downtown Detroit, so Wells quickly went to his teammate's apartment after seeing on television the two had been swapped Saturday morning.

"I was eating breakfast and almost spit my food out," Wells said. "I rode down the elevator and knocked on his door and said, 'Hey man, we're going to Seattle.' It was pretty exciting for both of us. I had all smiles on the flight over here, seeing the beautiful mountains. It was awesome."

The next two months will be all about baseball, however, with the pair getting a chance to show the Mariners where they might fit into future plans.

"We're going to have Furbush in the bullpen initially, but I think there's a good chance that at some point in time he'll get some starts for us, too," Wedge said. "With Wells, he can play all three spots in the outfield. He was playing primarily against lefties over there, but I want to see him more regularly than that."

Wells hit .257 with four home runs and 12 RBIs in 64 games with the Tigers, and he sees better times ahead for both himself and Furbush.

"I see it as a tremendous opportunity," Wells said. "With a team that's doing well like Detroit, you have a limited role with some of the guys they have. I feel like I have an opportunity to play a lot more here. Skip said he wants to get a good look at me. That's all I ask for, just to get an opportunity."

As for his scouting report on Furbush?

"He's got his funky delivery and a nasty slider," Wells said. "I told him I'd have trouble facing him. It seems like he's pretty tough on righties with the angle he comes at. And lefties as well. He's got electric stuff."

Greg Johns is a reporter for MLB.com. Follow him on Twitter @GregJohnsMLB as well as his Mariners Musings blog. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

PostSubject: Re: Casper Wells News   Casper Wells News - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 19, 2011 1:32 am

Wells shaken up after ball to the nose
By Greg Johns / MLB.com | 08/18/11 2:25 AM ET

SEATTLE -- Mariners outfielder Casper Wells, who'd hit home runs in four consecutive games, saw that streak end on Wednesday. Wells was hit in the nose with a fastball from Blue Jays starter Brandon Morrow and left the game in the sixth inning of the 5-1 loss.

Wells, 26, took a glancing blow off the tip of his nose as he tried to back away from Morrow's high-and-tight pitch. He went down momentarily before being helped off the field by trainers with a towel on his nose.

Manager Eric Wedge said X-rays on Wells were negative and his status is day to day, while Wells said he hoped to be ready to play on Friday in the series opener against Tampa Bay.

"He should be OK," Wedge said. "Anytime you get up there it's scary. But we dodged a bullet."

Morrow was throwing 98 mph gas most of the night in his first start at Safeco Field since being traded by Seattle after the 2009 season. He had runners on first and second in the sixth inning with two out when his first pitch to Wells sailed up and in on the right-hander.

"It just felt like my nose fell off, pretty much," Wells said, cotton stuffed in his swollen nose. "I couldn't see, which was scary. My eyes got all watered up and I couldn't see what was going on.

"I felt like it squared me up right in the face. But watching the replay, I kind of got out of the way. But it was really scary more than anything, just coming right at my face."

Wells said he had a headache and "my nose feels humongous, but I think I'll be all right."

Wedge said he thought Morrow was tiring and that's why the pitch got away from him. Wells also said he didn't think it was on purpose.

"He stands all the way on the side of the rubber and when you pick it up, you have less time than with most pitchers," Wells said. "I saw the replay and the pitch wasn't even close to the strike zone. It was coming right at my head. It's not like he was trying to throw it deliberately there, but that one definitely got away from him."

Morrow, 26, said he was just glad Wells wasn't hurt.

"I couldn't tell live where it exactly got him and the way he reacted I was worried about it," Morrow said. "But I heard it just tipped his nose and the X-rays are negative, so I'm glad he's all right."

Wells' locker in the Mariners clubhouse is adjacent to first baseman Justin Smoak, who is sporting a black eye and broken nose after going on the disabled list following a wicked bad hop grounder that caught him flush in the face last week.

Wells figures that should be warning enough for rookie outfielder Trayvon Robinson, who has the next locker down from the two. And, no, he's not sure who is going to look worse between he and Smoak in the coming days.

"I don't know," Wells said with a smile. "He's starting to heal, so he's getting uglier day by day. But I'll probably look uglier [Thursday]. I need to get my locker moved, though. Trayvon better be heads up next time."

Greg Johns is a reporter for MLB.com. Follow him on Twitter @GregJohnsMLB as well as his Mariners Musings blog. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Casper Wells News   Casper Wells News - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Casper Wells News
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2