Always A Tiger
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
Always A Tiger
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
Always A Tiger
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Always A Tiger

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to learn and talk about their Favorite Baseball Team, as well as just enjoy one another's company.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Casper Wells News

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

Aries Location : Ohio

Casper Wells News Empty
PostSubject: Casper Wells News   Casper Wells News Icon_minitimeSat Nov 07, 2009 5:02 pm

Casper Wells News KXFLfL5b

Casper Wells (click for minor league stats)

Current stats from Detroit Tigers

Another promising OF that spent the entire '08 season at AA. Another one to keep an eye on during Spring Training.

Last edited by TigersForever on Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
https://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

Casper Wells News Empty
PostSubject: Re: Casper Wells News   Casper Wells News Icon_minitimeSat Nov 07, 2009 5:03 pm

Wells red-hot in Arizona Fall League
Tigers prospect making case for 2010 consideration

By Jason Beck / MLB.com

10/30/09 7:48 PM ET

Casper Wells is doing more than making up for lost time in the Arizona Fall League. He's giving himself a springboard for next season.

When Wells fractured the hamate bone in his left hand at Double-A Erie in mid-April, it not only cost him nearly two months of the season, it meant his season essentially didn't begin until June. The injury halted the momentum that began with Wells' breakout 2008 season for the SeaWolves and picked up in Arizona last fall.

A return to the AFL wasn't originally the plan, at least not until Ryan Strieby's wrist problems cost him the tail end of the season, but Wells is making the most of what amounts to the home stretch of his injury-delayed season. Once again, he's pounding some of the better pitching prospects in the league, and he's giving a reminder of the potential in his bat.

Wells returned with three straight multihit games, going 7-for-13 with six runs scored and six RBIs for the Peoria Javelinas, and has only cooled off a bit from there. He greeted top overall Draft pick Stephen Strasburg on Thursday with a grand slam as part of a two-hit, five-RBI game. He added a three-run homer Wednesday.

At this rate, it's also a reminder of how well he hit in the AFL last year. Combine his fall campaign so far with last year, and he has reached base safely in 30 straight Fall League games, including a single Thursday off former Tigers pitcher Andrew Miller. Wells had an 18-game hitting streak from last October through last Friday, during which he batted .405 (30-for-74) with nine home runs, 19 extra-base hits, 20 runs scored and 30 RBIs.

This year, his 1.239 OPS ranked fourth among AFL hitters entering Friday, while his .800 slugging percentage ranked second. His .371 average (13-for-35) stood 10th.

What that means for him going into next year is unclear. With Magglio Ordonez back for next year, Carlos Guillen said to be set for everyday duty in left field, and Ryan Raburn coming off a career year, the space for a promotion to Detroit isn't there, at least going into next season. Still, after two years and 161 combined games for the SeaWolves, Wells' Fall League performance sets him up with high promise for an expected promotion to Triple-A Toledo, where he has yet to play a single game.

With Scott Sizemore out for the rest of the year following ankle surgery, the only other Tigers position prospect in the AFL is shortstop Cale Iorg, who showed signs of breaking out of his slow start offensively with a three-hit, three-run game that included a solo homer Tuesday at Scottsdale. He had more hits in that game than he totaled in his other five AFL contests before that. He followed that up with a double in four at-bats the next day against Phoenix.

On the pitching side, Tuesday's offensive outburst helped Tigers second-round Draft pick Andrew Oliver earn his first professional victory with two scoreless innings of relief and four strikeouts. With 11 strikeouts over eight innings through Friday, the 21-year-old left-hander ranked second in the league in strikeouts alongside fellow Tigers farmhand Robbie Weinhardt, who piled up three consecutive three-strikeout performances over a 10-day span.

This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

Casper Wells News Empty
PostSubject: Re: Casper Wells News   Casper Wells News Icon_minitimeSat Nov 07, 2009 5:04 pm

Wells keeps rolling in Fall League
Tigers prospect extends on-base streak to 35 games

By Robert Emrich / Special to MLB.com

11/07/09 12:55 AM EST

Being relaxed at the plate may sound like an oxymoron, but the approach is paying off for Casper Wells.

The Tigers outfield prospect collected two hits and two RBIs on Friday to extend his Arizona Fall League on-base streak to 35 games and lead the Peoria Javelinas past the Peoria Saguaros, 6-3.

Wells, selected by Detroit in the 14th round of the 2005 Draft, is aware of the streak, which dates back to last season. But he said he tries not to carry that to the plate.

"It's something in the back of your mind, but its nothing that I take into the game at all or stress out about," Wells said. "I use a solid approach and it usually leads to getting on base. I just stay relaxed at the plate and it allows me to see the ball."

Invited to his first Major League Spring Training earlier this year, Wells is using the AFL to catch up after missing time during the regular season due to a fractured hamate bone. The Michigan native spent the year with Double-A Erie and already is looking forward to his second big league camp.

"[Next] year, I'll go into big league camp with a little more confidence, a little more comfortable and relaxed and battle for a spot out there, if it's possible," said Wells, who will play in Saturday's Rising Stars Showcase.

The 24-year-old Towson University product delivered an RBI double and scored to cap the Javelinas' three-run first inning. The Saguaros tied it in the third, but regained the lead an inning later. Wells provided some insurance in the seventh with an RBI bloop single.

Brewers prospect Lorenzo Cain stroked three singles, drove in a run and notched three of the Javelinas' seven steals. Brent Morel swiped home as part of a double-steal that snapped the fourth-inning tie.

Chris Heisey (Reds) blasted a two-run homer, his second in three games and fifth of the fall. Astros farmhand Jose Vallejo singled twice and drove in the Saguaros' other run.

Robert Wooten (1-0) struck out two in a perfect inning for the win and fellow Brewers prospect Zach Braddock pitched a 1-2-3 ninth for the save.

Zach Putnam, who did not allow a run in his first two AFL starts, surrendered three on four hits in two innings. Fellow Indians Minor Leaguer Connor Graham (1-1) was tagged with the loss after giving up three runs on two hits in 1 2/3 frames.

Robert Emrich is a contributor to MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

Casper Wells News Empty
PostSubject: Re: Casper Wells News   Casper Wells News Icon_minitimeMon Nov 16, 2009 8:41 pm

Posted: Nov. 16, 2009
Tigers prospect Cale Iorg starting to heat up in Arizona Fall League

BY GEORGE SIPPLE
FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

Tigers prospect Cale Iorg probably wishes Sunday wasn't a day off in the Arizona Fall League.

Iorg, hitting .208 for the Peoria Javelinas, has a hit and a run in each of his past three games and has a hit in four of his past five. He hit a two-run homer in a 4-2 loss to the Mesa Solar Sox on Saturday.

Iorg struggled this season at Double-A Erie, hitting .222 with 149 strikeouts in 491 at-bats. He has 19 strikeouts in 53 at-bats for the Javelinas.

Pitcher Robbie Weinhardt, a 10th-round pick by the Tigers in 2008, hasn't allowed an earned run in his past six appearances for the Javelinas. He gave up eight runs in his first three appearances, including five earned runs in 1 2/3 innings to begin AFL play Oct. 13. But over his past six games, he has allowed four hits and two walks, and has struck out 18 in 11 innings.

Outfielder Casper Wells (Grand Rapids) is hitting .344 for the Javelinas and is tied for the team lead with 24 RBIs. Wells hit .260 for Erie this season.

The Javelinas (17-11) have four games remaining and have clinched the West Division title.
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

Casper Wells News Empty
PostSubject: Re: Casper Wells News   Casper Wells News Icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2009 10:14 pm

Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

Casper Wells News Empty
PostSubject: Re: Casper Wells News   Casper Wells News Icon_minitimeThu Nov 26, 2009 1:45 am

Casper Wells News Logo

November 24, 2009
Prospectus Q&A
Casper Wells

by David Laurila

Casper Wells isn't the most talented player on Detroit's Top 11 Prospects list, but he just might be the most entertaining. A television and film major in college, the affable outfielder can both swing a productive bat and drive his teammates batty with his unique blend of wit, wisdom, and spot-on impersonations. Wells followed up on an outstanding 2008 campaign by hitting a solid .260/.369/.489 with 15 home runs in just 311 at-bats with Double-A Erie this season. More recently, he hit a show-stopping .351/.433/.662 while helping the Peoria Javelinas to the Arizona Fall League championship. Wells talked to BP upon the conclusion of the AFL season.

---

David Laurila: In an interview with MiLB.com's Lisa Winston, you said that Indians prospect Jason Donald considers you to be the funniest man alive. What's the story there?

Casper Wells:
Well, Lisa asked me to describe myself, and I was like, "Geez, I don't know. You might have to ask someone else about that one." J.D. was walking past the dugout, so she asked him about me, and I guess that's what he came up with. But yeah, I do like to have a good time in the clubhouse. You could even ask the guys here, because it's actually easier in this environment, in the [Arizona] Fall League. It's a little more stressful during the regular season, but here, everyone is in the same boat and no one is really competing, at least not the same way. Essentially, everyone is having a good time and gets along pretty well, which is conducive to a fun and entertaining environment.

DL: How important is camaraderie in baseball?

CW: Oh, it just shows. Our team is having a great time, and when we were doing well in Erie this year, and having a great time on the field, and off the field, in the clubhouse, it definitely… it's like a family situation, almost, like your brother is up to bat. You want to root him on. It's the same here, so it's almost going to be sad when these guys leave. You create different types of relationships, and you hold onto them. And it definitely shows on the field, when you play together and have fun in the clubhouse, so you want to keep that up. The positiveness, and the goofing around kind of stuff, helps to create a relaxing environment, which is important in the game of baseball, because it helps to alleviate all of that stress. The game can be so negative at times.

DL: In which ways can baseball be negative?

CW: Well, for starters, if you fail 70 percent of the time, you have a chance to be a Hall of Famer. If you hit .300, you still failed 70 percent of the time, so if you look at not getting a hit as failure… there are a lot of negative things that you can bring to the game of baseball, so it's important to focus on the positive things, and not dwell on the negative things that might happen. That's something that is definitely learned with time. At this level, most of us had so much success when we were younger, whether it was playing Little League or in high school. If you were a good player, you probably excelled and didn't really have to deal much with failure. A lot of guys come out of college, having succeeded so much, and when they become a professional, things get a lot more stressful and they begin to put more pressure on themselves.

DL: What were the negatives for you this past season?

CW: There were a lot of mental obstacles to overcome. There were concerns coming off the injury about my power; that was in the back of my mind. I had broken the hamate bone in my left hand, and I was nowhere near 100 percent when I came back. I felt well enough to play and compete at a high level, but my hand was definitely not 100 percent. That was on my mind every time I was taking swings. It did help that it was warmer when I came back, because I had been in Florida rehabbing, and I could feel it a little more when the weather was colder toward the end of the season in Erie. So, I was thinking about coming back from an injury, and maybe putting pressure on myself about being back in Erie, but those kinds of things help you learn. They're valuable lessons, because they help mold you into the type of player you want to be.

DL: Your slugging percentage this year was .489. Given the hamate injury, are you surprised it was that good?

CW: In all honesty, I was kind of surprised by the numbers I put up, especially my home run total. In fact, I was definitely surprised at that. I didn't know if my power… that's something that usually lacks when you have an injury like mine. So, I was pleasantly surprised by some of the numbers, and toward the end of the season I picked it up significantly and felt pretty confident. I was able to carry that into Arizona, and feel confident that I can compete, even through an injury, and that will be helpful in the future if I have to overcome an injury again.

DL: Did you make any mechanical adjustments to compensate for the injury?

CW: I kind of did. My front leg is a little more open now, but that just kind of happened. I kind of cheated a little bit for the inside pitch, because I wasn't getting there at first with my hands. My hands weren't strong enough to get to inside pitches as well, so I opened up a little to be able to see that inside pitch a little better. Other than that, not too much really changed. I still have the same tall stance and stuff. It's just been little, subtle adjustments. Actually, I've made a few subtle adjustments out here in Arizona that have helped me a lot. Our hitting coach here, Gary Ward, has worked with me on some things that should help me out going into spring training.

DL: Was the slight opening of your stance done on your own, or was it suggested by a coach?

CW:
Pretty much everything I've done… I'm at a level now where the coaches, and everyone who works with you, don't really change you around too much. I just communicated with some of the coaches and said, "This feels pretty good; what do you think of it?" I was like, "I could work with this." Out here, Gary Ward has said, "I think you need to stay back a little more," because sometimes I lunge forward a little bit. He's worked with me on fine-tuning that a little bit.

DL: Ward is in the White Sox organization. Does his advice differ at all from what you've been told by coaches in the Tigers' system?

CW: I think that, a lot of times, managers and hitting coaches say things a certain way, that… they say the same things, but in different ways. For an individual hitter, it's just the way you relate to him. For example, if I was a little late with my timing, I might hear something like, "Get your foot down." For me, that doesn't translate very well. I hear, "Get your foot down," and I don't really know what to do, what to work on, to get my foot down. But if it's, "Get that stride out a little earlier," or "Stride when the pitcher is here," that's something I can relate to a little better. So, a lot of it is the way coaches say a certain thing. Even if it's the same idea, they're saying it in a different way, and that can have a real impact. It's kind of like when you're in school. If someone is teaching you something you're not that interested, let's say it's history, maybe they can put a little spin on it to make it more fun. That's basically what it is.

DL: You've played for Tom Brookens each of the past two seasons. What influence has he had on you?

CW: He's really helped me, especially this year. He's helped to sculpt me, because last year I was kind of all over the place. He was actually my manager back when I was in the New York-Penn League too, and I'm sure he'd tell you that I'm a completely different player now than I was then, with the limited playing time I got when he was managing there. It's just a totally different scene for me now. He's sculpted me, and kind of fine-tuned some of the things I do. Like, defensively, he made sure I didn't make any… sometimes I like to make throws, from center field, and try to back-pick a guy off for a double play, if he's getting off too far. I've done that numerous times, and while I haven't thrown any balls away doing it, he's reiterated that you need to know what you need to do. You shouldn't always try to be superman out there and throw everyone out. Sometimes your job is to hit the cutoff and play under control. He's really helped me out with the mental aspect of the game, trying to make me more consistent and closer to being a big-league-ready player. He's done a lot. He's worked with me in the cage, making sure I stay through balls, and stuff. Everything he does is meant to help you get to the big leagues.

DL: What was it like watching Alex Avila get called up the big leagues and perform well once he got there?

CW: It was awesome. I watched him, and I watched him in big league camp, and he has a great approach at the plate. It's one that I would love to be able to emulate, just being quiet and having such a good eye. He's just very consistent, and it shows, because it translated into him getting hits in the big leagues. It's great to see young guys do well up there. It gives a boost of confidence to all of us younger guys when we see someone like Alex, or Wilkin [Ramirez], get an opportunity, and then watch them succeed. It's definitely awesome.

DL: Who were some of the position players in Erie that a lot of fans might not know about, but probably should?

CW: We had a bunch of guys come through for us this year. Ronnie Bourquin got called up [to Erie] and was swinging the bat for us really well at the end, when we were fighting for a playoff spot. Michael Bertram also got called up and was swinging the bat really well. I think he got Player of the Week the last couple of weeks; he was swinging a hot stick. And [Brennan] Boesch was there all year, and [Ryan] Strieby as well. Strieby hurt his wrist a little bit, more so when I came back, so I didn't get to play with him as much, but he's one of the guys with a solid approach at the plate. I think we had a solid team all around, pretty much. There wasn't an easy out in our lineup. Injuries held us back a little, but that's just part of the game.

DL:
Changing direction a bit, you studied television and film at Towson State. What does that say about you?

CW: I've always been a character, so to speak, to put it in terms of how a lot of people describe me. Growing up, a lot of my teachers said they wanted to see me further my career in things like acting, so when I got to college, I decided that I wanted to do film. That's what I did, although unfortunately I couldn't do much film work, because it was too time consuming. It was my major, but I had a lot of time constraints with baseball, and there was also the money situation, because film is pretty expensive, and I ended up getting on a television track. I got a Mac computer my sophomore year, and I could do all of my editing right on my computer, so that worked out pretty well. I got a camera and shot some footage of some pretty cool stuff. I just really enjoy film; it makes me feel good. I also really like music, although I probably wouldn't get involved with it as much; I mostly just like listening to it. But I do want to be involved in movies, because I feel that I have a creative mind and would be able to contribute more to film, and stuff like that. Towson actually has a pretty good film program.

DL:
I'm guessing that most of the movies you see in the clubhouse, and on the bus, aren't exactly cinematic masterpieces. Do you look at them with a more discerning eye than your teammates?

CW:
When I was in school, I looked at films a lot differently, because I was studying them. Now, I just kind of try to enjoy them, and I like to watch a lot of the comedies. But yeah, I definitely have a different perspective watching some of the movies. Guys will say stuff, and I'll tell them, "Look, this movie sucks." Then they'll say to me, "Well, if a film major is telling me that, then it must be a bad movie." They'll kind of bust my balls about it. But, overall, I'm sure I have a different perspective when we're on the bus watching Ace Ventura or Dumb and Dumber.

DL: In the interview with Lisa Winston, you said that you're surprised that people never ask you about your name. That obligates me to ask: What's up with your name?

CW: It's so weird now. Because I'm a little older, people accept it just like a common name. I'll tell them that my name is Casper, and there's no look, there's no, "Really?" When I was younger, like elementary school, and middle school, it was like, "Casper the Friendly Ghost, hahaha." Then, in high school, it was more like, "So, is that your nickname, or is actually your real name?" When college came around, it became more like, "Oh, that's so cool." Now, it's kind of nothing. I expect people to say something, but even this year, it was just, "Oh, Casper." I guess that sometimes a guy will ask me where the name came from, and I'm actually the fifth Casper in the family. My aunt did a bunch of research, and there was a Casper Wells back in Germany, several generations ago. I'm Casper Charles Wells the second, but I'm Casper Wells the fifth.

DL: According to Lisa, you have at least one nickname, which comes courtesy of the Braves' Tommy Hanson.

CW: Last year in the Fall League, I called Tommy Hanson "Hansy Pantsy," and he'd call me "Caspy Pantsy." That's just one of the many nicknames that we called each other. This fall, [Tigers prospect] Robbie Weinhardt's nickname was "Snobby Robbie." He's not a snob at all, but I just kid around with my boy Robs because he used to get mad when we'd all call him that. I can't say enough how much of a fun experience the Fall League has been the last two years. You make some great friends, and have good times, with great memories. Baseball can be a lot of fun.

David Laurila is an author of Baseball Prospectus. You can contact David by clicking here or click here to see David's other articles.
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

Casper Wells News Empty
PostSubject: Re: Casper Wells News   Casper Wells News Icon_minitimeWed Dec 23, 2009 3:48 pm

New landscape gives Wells an opportunity
Tigers prospect finds track toward outfield spot in 2010

By Jason Beck / MLB.com

12/23/09 1:36 PM EST

DETROIT -- Casper Wells tried not to get caught up in Detroit's trade talk this fall. He was on the other side of the country, taking his cuts in the Arizona Fall League.

He's still out in Arizona, working out with fellow Tigers prospect Ryan Strieby after nearly two consecutive years of baseball, but he sure seems a little closer to Detroit these days.

A couple months ago, Wells was an outfield prospect without an opening to find. Not only was Detroit's starting three seemingly set with Curtis Granderson in center and Carlos Guillen and Magglio Ordonez on the corners, even the other spots seemed filled. Wells appeared destined for an eventual trip to Triple-A Toledo.

He still might be fitted for a Mud Hens jersey this coming April, but the Granderson trade to the Yankees shifted the landscape a bit. With the Tigers looking to build from within their system again, Wells and his power bat have the potential to be a part of a younger Tigers outfield down the road, and maybe sooner.

How exactly Wells fits into that is still up for debate, but Wells would rather stay out of that part. He just wants to somehow find a fit. In that aspect, his second Major League Spring Training is looking much more interesting than the first.

"It's a hard question if he's ready, because he didn't have a full year last year," team president/general manager Dave Dombrowski said. "Could he come in and compete? Anybody on the roster can come in and compete. Could he do it? Yes. Are we counting on it? No."

Wells spent last Spring Training as a sponge, soaking up everything he could from veterans. This coming spring, he's going to be more of a candidate.

"It's becoming a little more present now, being where I'm at," Wells said last month as his AFL season was wrapping up. "I'm just looking for a shot to get up there. I just want to make the big leagues."

His bat should eventually help him get there. His legs and his glove should help determine whether and where he sticks around.

As the Granderson trade rumors heated up over November and into baseball's Winter Meetings last month, Wells and his stats in Arizona gained progressively more attention. Though he has never ranked near the top of Detroit's prospect list, he has manned center field the past two seasons at Double-A Erie, has hit for projectable power -- 36 doubles, 10 triples and 32 home runs over 581 at-bats in his past two seasons -- and shown more speed than his 6-foot-2, 210-pound frame would suggest.

The AFL has been his statistical springboard. His .351 average there this fall cracked the top 10, while his 1.096 OPS and 25 RBIs each ranked third. Nearly half of his 27 hits went for extra bases. That followed up a 2008 AFL stint in which he batted .321 with eight homers and 23 RBIs.

Though Wells' 2008 stop in Arizona was planned, this year's was not. He was added to the Tigers' list only after Strieby was ruled out with wrist problems. Player development director Glenn Ezell and others saw a chance for Wells to recoup some lost at-bats after missing much of April and May with a fractured hamate bone in his left hand. It was reminiscent of 2008, when his emergence at Erie came after the Tigers promoted him two levels from low Class A West Michigan to give him a test.

Wells says the atmosphere in Arizona -- not the dry desert heat, but the talent level -- brings out the best in him. But he also has taken to instruction there from a couple of former Major Leaguers turned coaches -- Hall of Famer Ryne Sandberg last fall and former slugger Gary Ward this fall. Ward specifically offered some tips on his approach at the plate.

"It's a great atmosphere," Wells said. "Everyone out here's in the same boat, trying to get to the big leagues. ...

"I just feel comfortable at the plate. There were times in Erie I didn't feel as well. There were things I worked on with my hands."

What Wells is looking for, what he believes is key for him, is a consistent approach.

His work ethic can't be questioned. Nor can his desire to prove himself. Where he proves to fit in Detroit is another question.

The center-field question, at least, seems to have been answered. Dombrowski said at the Winter Meetings that the organization sees Wells' future likely in the corner outfield, something scouts from other organizations have echoed. Austin Jackson instantly became the center fielder of the future with his arrival from the Yankees.

Wells could yet end up part of the mix in center, potentially on a part-time basis or as an insurance option, but he's going to have to prove himself. Even in viewing him as a corner guy, the Tigers left the door open that he can at least play center in spots.

"We've looked at him as a guy who can do either," Dombrowski said.

Wells, for his part, said he feels more comfortable in center field. And he likes proving that he can do it.

Like Granderson, Wells spends a lot of time in batting practice reading fly balls off the bat to try to determine the best routes in the outfield. He also talked about working on his quickness this offseason to help him get better jumps.

As far as the territory to cover in center, though, Wells likes it.

"I think center field is probably the best place to play," Wells said, "because you have so much space."

Wells was in camp last Spring Training as a center fielder, but only as a fill-in while Granderson was at the World Baseball Classic playing for Team USA. As Wells admitted, he was diving all over the place, trying to make plays and make an impression. He also was in big league camp for the first time playing alongside players he had only seen on television.

He feels much better prepared this time around. But he has to feel much more relaxed.

"Going into this year, I feel a lot more comfortable," Wells said, "that I can just allow my abilities to work. Hopefully I have a shot to make the roster."

Jason Beck is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

Casper Wells News Empty
PostSubject: Re: Casper Wells News   Casper Wells News Icon_minitimeFri Mar 05, 2010 10:06 pm

Casper Wells News Little20Casper_display_image

Prospect Chronicles: 10 Detroit Tigers Who Could Make an Impact in 2010

Johnny Lawrence
Featured Columnist
Correspondent - BLEACHER REPORT

8. Casper Wells, OF, Age 26

Highest Level: AA (Erie)
Acquired: 2005 (14th Round)
40-Man Roster: Yes

At West Michigan and Erie, Wells played under former Midwest League Manager of the Year Tom Brookens, Detroit's new first base coach. Their extended experience together may buy Wells an extended look in Spring Training.

Wells, a Grand Rapids native, doesn't hit well for average, but he supplies above average power. He displayed his extra base potential this fall with the Peoria Javelinas (Arizona Fall League). In 77 at-bats, he cranked six doubles, three triples, and four homers.

If Austin Jackson struggles to make the transition to the majors, Wells may be the guy who steps in.
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

Casper Wells News Empty
PostSubject: Re: Casper Wells News   Casper Wells News Icon_minitimeSat Apr 10, 2010 7:54 am

Tigers relieved Wells' injury isn't serious
Outfield prospect dislocated his right pinkie Thursday

By Jason Beck / MLB.com

04/09/10 1:51 PM ET

DETROIT -- The Tigers are breathing a sigh of relief for one of their top hitting prospects after Casper Wells injured his right pinkie finger Thursday night at Triple-A Toledo.

X-rays showed nothing more than a dislocation on Wells' finger, which he jammed sliding headfirst into third base on a foul ball. How long he's out, if at all, depends on his pain tolerance, Tigers head athletic trainer Kevin Rand said Friday morning.

Any injury concern is major for the Tigers with Wells, who was limited to 86 games last year at Double-A Erie thanks to a fractured hamate bone in his left wrist. Once he returned from the mid-April injury, it was slow progress back. He finished with a .260 batting average, 15 home runs and 41 RBIs with the SeaWolves before he tore up the Arizona Fall League.

Wells is part of a quartet of outfield prospects rotating among three spots and the designated hitter slot with the Mud Hens this year. Sluggers Ryan Strieby and Brennan Boesch are also there, as is the recently optioned Clete Thomas.
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

Casper Wells News Empty
PostSubject: Re: Casper Wells News   Casper Wells News Icon_minitimeFri May 14, 2010 6:19 pm

Tigers promote Wells from Triple-A

By Jason Beck / MLB.com

05/14/10 3:32 PM ET

DETROIT -- The Tigers turned their recent run of solid starts into some more positional depth Friday afternoon, when they called up outfield prospect Casper Wells from Triple-A Toledo.

The 25-year-old slugger, born a couple hours away in Grand Rapids, Mich., will be making his Major League debut whenever he takes the field, possibly as soon as Friday night's series opener against the Red Sox. He brings the Tigers back to 13 position players and 12 pitchers after their exhausted bullpen a few days ago forced them to add Alfredo Figaro as a 13th pitcher for Wednesday's day-night doubleheader and option veteran Ryan Raburn.

The seven-inning starts from Rick Porcello and Jeremy Bonderman Wednesday, plus six solid innings from Justin Verlander on Thursday, left the bullpen at close to full strength for the weekend. Thus, Figaro -- who struggled in his lone appearance Wednesday night -- was optioned back to Toledo to make room for Wells, who gives the Tigers a right-handed-hitting slugger off the bench or a potential starter against a left-handed pitchers, such as Boston's Jon Lester on Saturday.

Wells got off to a slow start for the Mud Hens, entering the day batting .203 (24-for-131) with five home runs and 12 RBIs. His 37 strikeouts ranked him high on the International League leader board. However, his bat has made an impression at virtually every level where he has played, including the past two years in the Arizona Fall League against some of baseball's top pitching prospects.

He'll get his shot, at least for this weekend. The move back to 12 pitchers suggests that the Tigers could make another move Sunday to call up a pitcher to start their series finale against Boston that afternoon. Otherwise, they would have to rest a reliever for the next couple days and go one pitcher short -- which Leyland has never liked to do -- or start Porcello or Bonderman on short rest, which Leyland has said he will not do.

Armando Galarraga, who is scheduled to pitch Sunday for Toledo at home, is a candidate. He began the season with the Mud Hens and hasn't started for the Tigers since Labor Day weekend last year.

Jason Beck is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

Casper Wells News Empty
PostSubject: Re: Casper Wells News   Casper Wells News Icon_minitimeFri May 14, 2010 6:49 pm

Wells up for 2 days; Galarraga to start Sunday
BECK'S BLOG
Posted on May 14, 2010 at 4:37 PM

The move is official: Casper Wells has been recalled from Triple-A Toledo, and Alfredo Figaro is headed back to the Hens. But Leyland also announced his next move coming Sunday: Wells will be optioned back to Toledo, and Armando Galarraga will be called up to start Sunday against the Red Sox. So unless there's an injury that changes plans, Wells' first big-league stint will be a short one.
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

Casper Wells News Empty
PostSubject: Re: Casper Wells News   Casper Wells News Icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 11:31 pm

05/22/10Detroit Tigers optioned Casper Wells to Toledo Mud Hens.
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

Casper Wells News Empty
PostSubject: Re: Casper Wells News   Casper Wells News Icon_minitimeMon Aug 23, 2010 12:24 am

Casper Wells heading to Detroit
BECK'S BLOG
Posted on August 22, 2010 at 9:29 PM

The Tigers were on the verge of yet another player move from Triple-A Toledo Sunday night. But the move appears to be a simple call-up, likely to get the Tigers back to their usual number of position players on the 25-man roster, rather than a precursor to any larger move.

Casper Wells was in the Mud Hens' starting lineup for their game Sunday at Columbus before he was pulled and sent to Detroit in time for Monday's series opener against the Royals, MLB.com has learned. However, the move is not believed to be related to any trade talks on current Tigers. Indications suggest the Tigers have nothing going on the trade front at the moment, though reports stated they placed Johnny Damon and Brandon Inge on waivers last week.

The Tigers went to an eight-man bullpen ahead of their series last week in New York to help ease the strain on their exhausted bullpen, sending down outfielder Jeff Frazier and calling up lefty reliever Daniel Schlereth. Detroit swapped pitchers with Toledo on Friday, sending down Robbie Weinhardt and calling up Alfredo Figaro, but decided to stay with an extra reliever after three consecutive starters lasted just five innings against the Yankees.

Detroit's bullpen is in much better shape now after back-to-back seven-inning performances against Cleveland Friday and Saturday from Armando Gallarraga and Max Scherzer and an eight-inning outing from Justin Verlander Sunday. Manager Jim Leyland said Sunday they would not be staying with eight relievers for long. Still, who's heading back to Toledo isn't yet clear.

Wells was up with the Tigers in May, starting two games and entering two others as a defensive replacement. He's hitting .233 for the Hens this year with 21 home runs and 46 RBIs, but his recent numbers are outstanding. He's batting .354 (23-for-65) in August with seven doubles, three triples, five home runs, 12 RBIs and a 1.246 OPS. His OPS since the All-Star break is 1.040 to go with a .295 second-half average.
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

Casper Wells News Empty
PostSubject: Re: Casper Wells News   Casper Wells News Icon_minitimeMon Aug 23, 2010 11:24 pm

Second-half surge gets Wells to Detroit

By Jason Beck / MLB.com

08/23/10 7:00 PM ET

DETROIT -- Casper Wells said he turned his season around once he learned to have fun playing again. He's hoping to carry that into the big leagues now that he's back with the Tigers.

"Just kind of got back and fun," Wells said, "not worrying about results as much as just going out there and playing the game and letting your abilities take over and having fun with the guys. You need that kind of outlet, I think, especially when playing a sport and doing the same thing day-in-day out. It can get habitual."

The Tigers reset their roster to 13 position players and 12 pitchers by recalling Wells from Triple-A Toledo Monday. They designated reliever Enrique Gonzalez's contract for assignment to make room.

The Tigers went to an eight-man bullpen ahead of their series last week in New York to help ease the strain on their exhausted bullpen, sending down outfielder Jeff Frazier and calling up lefty reliever Daniel Schlereth. Detroit swapped pitchers with Toledo on Friday, sending down Robbie Weinhardt and calling up Alfredo Figaro, but decided to stay with an extra reliever after three consecutive starters lasted just five innings against the Yankees.

Detroit's bullpen is in much better shape now after back-to-back seven-inning performances against Cleveland Friday and Saturday from Armando Galarraga and Max Scherzer and an eight-inning outing from Justin Verlander Sunday.

Wells was up with the Tigers in May, starting two games and entering two others as a defensive replacement. He's hitting .233 for the Hens this year with 21 home runs and 46 RBIs, but his recent numbers are outstanding. He's batting .354 (23-for-65) in August with seven doubles, three triples, five home runs, 12 RBIs and a 1.246 OPS. His OPS since the All-Star break is 1.040 to go with a .295 second-half average.

"I definitely have a different feeling than when I went out there the last time," he said. "I feel confident."

Gonzalez spent the summer as a long reliever out of the Tigers bullpen. But when it came time to drop a pitcher, the Tigers opted to give a late-season shot to youngsters such as Figaro and stick with Schlereth over the veteran Gonzalez, who had an 0-1 record and 3.81 ERA in 18 games this season.

"Truthfully, it came to a situation where I'm not sure today he was the right guy to go," Leyland said. "But looking down the road, with some other guys being what our people think are pretty good prospects, we said, 'Let's take a look at them.'"
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

Casper Wells News Empty
PostSubject: Re: Casper Wells News   Casper Wells News Icon_minitimeThu Sep 02, 2010 12:30 am

Wells shows off strong arm from outfield

By Jason Beck / MLB.com

09/01/10 9:15 PM ET

MINNEAPOLIS -- Casper Wells now has an assist from left and right field.

He couldn't prevent the go-ahead run from scoring Tuesday night, and he didn't get an at-bat to try to tie it again afterward, but the latest example of his strong arm prevented the Twins from taking a two-run lead.

Wells was in right when Delmon Young hit his bases-loaded ground ball between first and second. Joe Mauer scored easily on the play, but Jason Kubel was testing Wells when he rounded third.

Wells' fire home hit the infield grass and bounced to catcher Alex Avila on a hop, giving him plenty of time to wait for Kubel to get there and apply the tag.

"I thought it was going to be closer than it was," Wells said. "In that situation, I didn't really look at who was on second base, because I was probably going to come up throwing anyway. I was surprised it just wasn't closer than it was,"

Wells built a reputation for having a strong arm coming up through the Tigers' farm system, despite playing mainly center field in most of his Minor League stops. He has posted double-digit outfield assists in each of the past three seasons, including 10 this year for Triple-A Toledo.

"That's all I was really anticipating, was the ball coming through there and the throw home," Wells said. "Everything else was basically off reaction. That's the only thing with two outs that I'm really concerned with, be ready for a ball hit there and make sure I get there quick enough to get the guy at home."
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

Casper Wells News Empty
PostSubject: Re: Casper Wells News   Casper Wells News Icon_minitimeSat Sep 04, 2010 12:54 am

Wells still basking in glow of first homer

By Robert Falkoff / Special to MLB.com

09/03/10 8:30 PM ET

KANSAS CITY -- One day after his first Major League home run, Casper Wells could only smile and savor his flair for the dramatic.

Wells' milestone homer in Minnesota came at a time when the Tigers needed it most. His solo shot off Jesse Crain in the ninth tied the game as Detroit eventually prevailed in 13 innings.

"Growing up, you have a vision of your first home run," Wells said. "My vision was that it would be at the home park. I hoped it would be in a clutch situation like that, at the end of a game. For that to happen the way it did, it was pretty exciting."

Wells wasn't originally in the lineup on Friday, but manager Jim Leyland penciled him in as the center fielder after catcher Gerald Laird was scratched with lower back tightness.

"He [Wells] has been hot and looked good," Leyland said.

Wells entered Friday's game hitting .355 in 31 at-bats with the Tigers. He's anxious to keep making September contributions.

"Nobody has packed it in," Wells said. "There's a lot of baseball left and anything can happen. We're just going to battle until the end and see what happens."
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

Casper Wells News Empty
PostSubject: Re: Casper Wells News   Casper Wells News Icon_minitimeThu Sep 16, 2010 10:36 pm

Tigers' Wells keeps up torrid start to career
Rookie collects four hits in four at-bats on Tuesday
By Todd Wills / Special to MLB.com | 09/16/10 2:03 AM ET

ARLINGTON -- Rookie outfielder Casper Wells had a career-high four hits in four at-bats in Tuesday's 11-4 loss to Texas, continuing a red-hot start to his Major League career.

Wells became the second Tigers rookie to be perfect at the plate in at least four at-bats this season -- center fielder Austin Jackson had five hits in as many at-bats on April 30 vs. the Angels. It's the first time the Tigers have had this feat happen since 1974 when Gene Lamont and Marvin Lane did it.

"Looking at it at the end of the day, it's pretty special," Wells said. "But it's not as satisfying when the team doesn't win."

Wells, 25, had 20 hits in his first 56 at-bats in the big leagues. He's had two home runs and 10 RBIs in the last 14 games, as he's begun an early audition for next season. He's not thinking about things like that, but he does know the Tigers' top decision-makers are paying attention.

"Any time you're up in the big leagues," Wells said, "unless you're in a situation where you're an established player getting a contract, you're going to be under the microscope and auditioning to get a starting role someday and to kind of get that contract and add some stability. It's not the first thing that crosses my mind that I'm playing for next year. I don't think about it during the game."

Manager Jim Leyland said it's important for Wells to play now, but not anymore important than it is for Johnny Damon or Brandon Inge.

"It's important for the veterans and the young guys," Leyland said. "It's important for everybody."
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

Casper Wells News Empty
PostSubject: Re: Casper Wells News   Casper Wells News Icon_minitimeTue Nov 16, 2010 2:14 am

Tigers' Wells returning to U.S. for knee exam
By Jason Beck / MLB.com | 11/15/10 6:37 PM EST

DETROIT -- What was developing into another encouraging offseason for Tigers outfield prospect Casper Wells is done from a baseball standpoint. Now, Wells and the Tigers are hoping his knee injury doesn't put his spring into question.

Wells confirmed via Twitter and in a message to MLB.com that he's heading back to the United States after tweaking his knee in the Dominican Winter League. He's expected to be examined this week by Tigers head athletic trainer Kevin Rand, but early indications suggest the injury isn't major.

"I'll have a better idea when I get back to the U.S.," Wells said in a message a few days ago. "My trip down here has been shortened due to a little issue with my knee."

Wells did not specify which knee.

The problems arose just as Wells was heating up at the plate following a frigid start in the Dominican. He started out 0-for-13 for Escogido, then went 8-for-20 with three doubles and a triple over five games, the most recent of them coming Nov. 3. It's the kind of stretch people have almost come to expect this time of year from Wells, who used strong stretches in the Arizona Fall League the previous two seasons for momentum going into Spring Training.

He hasn't been able to use that offseason magic to win a job out of camp, but he made it to Detroit this past season and batted .323 (30-for-93) with six doubles, four home runs and 17 RBIs in 36 games. Much of that action came late in the season after Magglio Ordonez suffered a season-ending ankle fracture.

Wells' future depends on what the Tigers do with their outfield this offseason. If things break right for him, Wells could open the season in an outfield platoon with Brennan Boesch.

Jason Beck is a reporter for MLB.com. Read Beck's Blog and follow him on Twitter @beckjason. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

Casper Wells News Empty
PostSubject: Re: Casper Wells News   Casper Wells News Icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2010 7:08 pm

Casper Wells has jumper's knee
BECK'S BLOG
Posted on November 18, 2010 at 5:58 PM

Just heard back from Casper Wells, who will not need surgery for his sore left knee. He has been diagnosed with jumper's knee, otherwise known as patellar tendinitis. He'll undergo therapy to try to reduce the swelling, but unless there's a serious setback, he should be ready for the start of Spring Training.

Wells had been playing winter ball in the Dominican, but last played Nov. 3. He came back to the states in the last week or so and had his knee checked out. He won't be going back to the Dominican, but the bright side is that it should give him some workout time to get ready for next season after another year of extended ball.
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

Casper Wells News Empty
PostSubject: Re: Casper Wells News   Casper Wells News Icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2011 9:43 pm

Though on bench, Wells gets thrill in Bronx
Tigers outfielder in awe, having grown up a Yankees fan
By Jason Beck / MLB.com | 03/31/11 8:15 PM ET

NEW YORK -- Outfielder Casper Wells wasn't in the Tigers' Opening Day lineup. But those were still jitters he was feeling as he went through pregame introductions at Yankee Stadium on Thursday afternoon.

"I got teared up driving to the Stadium [on Wednesday]," Wells said. "I mean, my whole life, I always dreamed of playing in Yankee Stadium. I've been to old Yankee Stadium a bunch of times to watch games."

Wells' first Opening Day in a Major League uniform came across the street from the place where he and his dad watched so many games when he was growing up in Schenectady, N.Y. Wells' dad would make the drive of a little more than two hours into the city and take his son. They went to Fenway Park, too, since his dad was a Red Sox fan, but this was special.

"Me and my dad went to a lot of games," Wells said. "I always liked to go when they played the Mariners because I liked Ken Griffey Jr. We came here one time to watch him take batting practice. He had his hat on backwards, just blasting balls into the upper deck in right field. It was pretty exciting."

For Thursday's game, Wells left tickets for 11 family members. He couldn't count the number of high school and college friends who had bought tickets on their own to come. Many of them work in New York City.

Wells knew a reunion of sorts with friends and family was a possibility when the schedule came out last fall. He enjoyed a good stretch run in Detroit and he knew the Tigers wanted to have youth on their roster. So he told his friends to get ready.

"In anticipation of making the team, I said, 'Go ahead and look for tickets now,'" Wells said. "But of course, they wait until the last minute. But they haven't bugged me. They really don't want to bug me. My friends are really good about that. They're so happy about me making the big leagues. They want to see me around for a long time and do some great things."

Wells' case for making the Tigers' Opening Day roster wasn't exactly sealed, either. Though he was a logical fit as a fourth or fifth outfielder, a right-handed hitter who could enter the lineup against left-handed starters when Victor Martinez catches and Magglio Ordonez shifts to designated hitter, it wasn't a sure thing. He wasn't formally announced as being on the team until the club's final round of roster cuts.

When he was, it was a big day. When Wells made it to the ballpark on Wednesday, it really hit him.

"I walked right down to the field," Wells said, "and took a picture. ... For the first one to be here, it was so funny. I couldn't have scripted it probably any better if I had written for me to make the big league club. First time being at Yankee Stadium for Opening Day.

"I'm really looking forward to it. It's going to be really special for my family and myself."

Jason Beck is a reporter for MLB.com. Read Beck's Blog and follow him on Twitter @beckjason. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

Casper Wells News Empty
PostSubject: Re: Casper Wells News   Casper Wells News Icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 12:56 am

Wells takes his turn in starting lineup
By Jason Beck / MLB.com | 04/09/11 4:30 PM ET

DETROIT -- The day after the home opener usually is the day the Tigers settle into a routine, having dispensed with the hustle and bustle of the ceremonies. For Casper Wells, though, it was basically Opening Day. He was the last player to make his first start of the season, but Saturday's matchup against Royals left-hander Bruce Chen was his long-awaited opportunity.

Until Saturday, the Tigers hadn't faced a left-handed starter so Victor Martinez got his second start at catcher, allowing Magglio Ordonez to get a day at designated hitter. That opened up right field for Wells, a right-handed hitter.

In the interim, Wells has had to learn how to be a utility outfielder, keeping himself ready for late-game opportunities. In many ways, it's like a relief pitcher watching a game and looking ahead towards situations where he might get a call.

"Donnie [Kelly] especially does a good job of just kind of helping me out, letting me know to prepare," Wells said. "For me, it's kind of like I have a coaching mentality to know when I might come in. Occasionally I have to think ahead, and Donnie goes a good job of helping me think that way."
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

Casper Wells News Empty
PostSubject: Re: Casper Wells News   Casper Wells News Icon_minitimeSun Jun 26, 2011 7:23 pm

Wells continuing to impress with bat
By Chris Vannini / MLB.com | 06/26/11 3:08 PM ET

DETROIT -- Casper Wells started in right field and batted second for the Tigers on Sunday, a typical move by manager Jim Leyland against a left-handed pitcher.

Wells' best attribute is his defense, but his bat is what is getting him in the lineup more often. The Tigers have rotated several players in and out of the No. 2 spot in the lineup, but Wells has been successful in the two hole, hitting .321 (9-for-28) on the season.

"I like batting in the two hole, it seems like a good place to set the ice for the big boys behind me," Wells said. "It's good. You get right in there and try to make things happen."

When Wells made the team out of Spring Training, it was obvious that he wouldn't be an everyday player. So Ramon Santiago and Don Kelly taught Wells how to be a bench player. This season, Wells is hitting .264 with four home runs in 95 plate appearances.

"Casper's got a good attitude about it," Kelly said. "It's more along the lines of preparation before the game, as far as treating your [batting practice] as your game when you're not playing. Not just going into BP and going through the motions and slacking off. You really have to work at it in BP, work on hitting and also defense, get your reps in that way. Because you're not getting them in the game."

The 26-year-old Wells has been solid for Leyland, who has been using him more than as just a defensive replacement.

"He's done a good job, he really has," Leyland said. "He's in there again today, and deserves to be. He's done a good job. It's not easy to do what he's doing, but when you get a guy who can do that, it's really valuable."

On a team with five outfielders and two utility players who can play in the outfield, it's hard for Wells to find playing time. But he has kept his focus and just waits for his name to be called.

"I kind of have the mindset coming to the ballpark that I'm going to be in the starting lineup every day," Wells said. "Once I see the lineup, things just kind of change as far as the mental standpoint if I'm starting that day. But I just prepare myself for going in a little later in the game; it seems to happen all the time. Especially if we're ahead, I go in there and play defensively.

"So you just have to stay strong mentally, trust what you're doing and let your abilities take over."

Chris Vannini is an associate reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

Casper Wells News Empty
PostSubject: Re: Casper Wells News   Casper Wells News Icon_minitimeThu Jun 30, 2011 1:36 am

Tigers' Wells a true Twitter pioneer
Along with Verlander, Penny, outfielder uses social media site
By Chris Vannini / MLB.com | 06/29/11 11:30 PM ET

DETROIT -- Twitter has become a unifying tool between professional athletes and fans in recent years.

The social media website has provided a glimpse into the life of a Major League ballplayer and fans can interact with players without rushing through the gates to get autographs before a game or writing a letter.

Tigers outfielder Casper Wells was one of the early practitioners of Twitter among athletes. While in the Arizona Fall League a few years back, former Tigers prospect Scot Drucker introduced Wells to the social media site. Drucker's profile (@Utbaseball30) says he has been tweeting since February 2009. Wells joined the website on Sept. 15, 2009, and has the user name @UpstateBaller, which refers to Wells growing up in Upstate New York.

"I just kind of got on it with [Drucker], I didn't really know what to expect or how it would take off or anything," Wells said. "I just kind of got on it. It seems to have exponentially blown up in the last couple years."

There are more than 175 million Twitter accounts on the social media site, and it has become an easy way for athletes to spread their thoughts and opinions to a wide variety of people. As of Wednesday night, Wells has 5,448 followers.

There are 177 Major Leaguers currently on Twitter. For a complete list, visit twitter.com/mlb/players.

Wells said he uses the site to read feedback from fans and family members, along with sending out messages.

"It's a good way to interact with fans," Wells said. "Sometimes I read some of the things they write. [Other times, I] just communicate with other players or other people, family members or something. A lot of fans or family members will write me stuff."

Last week, Tigers pitcher Justin Verlander found a cause to take up with his newly created but seldom-used account, @JustinVerlander: getting catcher Alex Avila into the All-Star Game with the hashtag #VoteAvila. Fellow Tigers pitcher Brad Penny (@BradPenny) used his account to try and spread the word around, and Wells joined in.

But other than Verlander and Penny, Wells is the only current Tiger who uses the website.

"Guys are really skeptical about it," Wells said. "But I think more people [will get] on it. Some guys don't really like the idea of putting stuff on there with what they're doing. [But] you don't have to put where you're at every time.

"I've talked to guys on the team about it, but a lot of people are skeptical about it."

Wells, however, has no plans of moving away from Twitter or social media. He even has his own website, www.CasperWells.com -- "coming soon."

Chris Vannini is an associate reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

Casper Wells News Empty
PostSubject: Re: Casper Wells News   Casper Wells News Icon_minitimeSun Jul 03, 2011 2:53 am

Casper Wells News 5895824025_31e916d0b0_o

Wells gives rundown of spectacular play
Outfielder makes catch in foul territory, fires home for double play
By Jason Beck and Chris Vannini / MLB.com | 07/03/11 12:17 AM ET

DETROIT -- Casper Wells isn't a ghost, but he was able to make a spectacular play Friday night after almost disappearing in a group of fans.

With Giants runners on the corners with no outs, Pablo Sandoval hit a fly ball down the left-field line. It was going to be foul, the only question was if Wells would be able to get it or not. Aaron Rowand was ready to tag from third base in case he did.

Fans instinctively got ready to catch the ball. Wells said he heard someone yell for fans to get out of the way, but a few still went for the ball. Wells was able to snag it from them, and Rowand headed home.

"There was some guy there I thought I was going to have to straight-arm
, but the fans were knowledgeable enough to let me catch that and get out of the way a little bit, because I saw people kind of spacing back out of the corner of my eyes," Wells said. "But I had my eye on the ball, and when I saw that I was going to have a chance to catch it, I knew I was going to have to get rid of it quick, because he was going to be aggressive probably going towards home."

Despite catching the ball flat-footed, Wells was still able to throw a bullet to home plate, where Alex Avila tagged out Rowand for the double play in one of the highlights of the season.

"I kind of just threw it in the direction of Alex," Wells said. "I couldn't really see that well. I just saw Rowand moving and I just threw it, basically."

Jason Beck is a reporter for MLB.com. Read Beck's Blog and follow him on Twitter @beckjason. Chris Vannini is an associate reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

Casper Wells News Empty
PostSubject: Re: Casper Wells News   Casper Wells News Icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 2:23 am

Last Updated: July 19. 2011 11:22PM
Tigers add Charlie Furbush to bullpen, demote OF Casper Wells
Tom Gage/ The Detroit News

Detroit— Charlie Furbush is back. Casper Wells is out.

The Tigers recalled Furbush from Triple A Toledo after Tuesday's 8-3 win over the A's. They'll use Furbush out of the bullpen, where he excelled before the team tried him in the rotation.

The Wells demotion, meanwhile, is a bit of a surprise because he has some power and can play all three outfield positions.

"This one hurts," manager Jim Leyland said of the decision on Wells, hitting .259 with four homers and 12 RBIs in 63 games. "But there are only 25 spots."

The Tigers also sent down reliever Adam Wilk, in a move to create a roster spot for Wednesday night's starting pitcher, left-hander Duane Below.

tom.gage@detnews.com

twitter.com/Tom_Gage

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20110719/SPORTS0104/107190422/Tigers-add-Charlie-Furbush-to-bullpen--demote-OF-Casper-Wells#ixzz1ScUjl3kP
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Casper Wells News Empty
PostSubject: Re: Casper Wells News   Casper Wells News Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Casper Wells News
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next