Always A Tiger
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
Always A Tiger
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
Always A Tiger
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Always A Tiger

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to learn and talk about their Favorite Baseball Team, as well as just enjoy one another's company.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

CURTIS GRANDERSON Career Tracker

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

Aries Location : Ohio

CURTIS GRANDERSON Career Tracker Empty
PostSubject: CURTIS GRANDERSON Career Tracker   CURTIS GRANDERSON Career Tracker Icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2009 8:32 pm

Granderson's stats very comparable to NL MVP Rollins

November 25, 2007
By JON PAUL MOROSI
FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

It's taboo to compare stats between the leagues, but consider how favorably Granderson's 2007 numbers compare to those of Philadelphia shortstop Jimmy Rollins, who won the National League Most Valuable Player award.

• Both accomplished the 30-20-20-20 feat -- 30 doubles, 20 triples, 20 homers and 20 steals in a season -- Rollins becoming the third player ever to do it.

• Granderson had more triples (23 vs. 20), Rollins had more steals (41 vs. 26), and they had the same number of doubles (30).

• Granderson had the better batting average (.302 vs. .296). Rollins, who plays his home games in a hitter-friendly park, had more home runs (30 vs. 23) and RBIs (94 vs. 74).

Last edited by TigersForever on Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
https://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

PostSubject: Re: CURTIS GRANDERSON Career Tracker   CURTIS GRANDERSON Career Tracker Icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2009 8:33 pm

On September 9, 2007, Curtis Granderson of the Detroit Tigers
became just the second player in history to record 30 doubles, 20
triples
, 20 homers and 20 steals in a single season.
Watch his
accomplishment from behind home plate as it happened...

Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

PostSubject: Re: CURTIS GRANDERSON Career Tracker   CURTIS GRANDERSON Career Tracker Icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2009 9:23 pm

04/04/07 7:21 PM ET
Granderson ends day in grand fashion
Center fielder blasts grand slam, finishes with five RBIs vs. Jays

By Jason Beck / MLB.com

DETROIT -- Curtis Granderson knew the question before anyone could ask it. No, he had not hit a grand slam in his life.

It dampened one kid's day, but it made Wednesday all the sweeter for Granderson.

"I remember a kid asked me a question at a school visit [over the winter]," Granderson said. "'How many grand slams have you hit?' I said, 'None,' and he got disappointed, like, 'Aw, you're not that good.' So I said, 'Hopefully I'll get one.'"

Granderson still remembers his first home run. He was eight or nine years old, he said, and it was a solo shot. He only had 11 bases-loaded at-bats in his Major League career entering Wednesday, so he hadn't had a lot of chances. He had a bases-clearing triple and two singles, but no grand slam.

The timing for his first couldn't have been much better. Though it wasn't in his hometown of Chicago, it was at Comerica Park with his parents in town. They had driven over to see him receive his American League championship ring, and they watched him go 2-for-5 with a career-high-tying five RBIs in the process.

He walked and scored to lead off the third inning against Blue Jays starter A.J. Burnett before the string of Tigers reaching base brought him up again with two outs in the inning against Shaun Marcum. He reached for a pitch at his knees and drove it on a line towards the right-field power alley.

The ball bounced off a railing above the wall, just above the 365-foot marker, and caromed back into play. Granderson was approaching third base at full speed when he noticed the home-run signal from first-base umpire Alfonso Marquez, allowing him to trot home.

"I thought it was an extra-base hit," Granderson said. "I turned and looked to see where the ball was. I hear [third-base coach Gene Lamont] say something and then I see the first-base ump [signaling] with his fingers. But yet [Blue Jays second baseman] Aaron Hill is coming after me to make a play on me because I'm off the base, so I'm still not sure."

He was off and running again with his next hit in the seventh, this time for good reason. After Brandon Inge led off the seventh with a walk, Granderson hit a Victor Zambrano pitch to right for an RBI triple, matching his RBI mark from last June 26 against Cleveland.

Granderson has hit for the cycle through two games this season, and he has either scored or driven in five of Detroit's 13 runs. And he no longer has to disappoint schoolchildren, though he might be disappointed himself if he can't find the grand-slam ball.

"It did go back on the field, right? I've got to find it," he said. "I'm going to be on a hunt."

Jason Beck is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

PostSubject: Re: CURTIS GRANDERSON Career Tracker   CURTIS GRANDERSON Career Tracker Icon_minitimeWed Apr 15, 2009 7:19 pm

Granderson tries to get youth involved
Outfielder honors Foundation scholars on Robinson Day

By Jason Beck / MLB.com

04/15/09 2:15 PM ET

DETROIT -- Curtis Granderson didn't have the chance to take part in Jackie Robinson Day festivities last year. He was on the disabled list at the time, preparing for a Minor League rehab stint to test out his fractured right hand.

With the Tigers at home for this year's festivities Wednesday, Granderson was a visible participant. Not only did he don Robinson's jersey number 42 once again, as did every player in the Major Leagues, he was one of 13 players around baseball to receive a special set of baseball cleats from Nike to wear for the game. The blue and gray shoes feature Robinson's number 42 on the side in red.

Before the game, Granderson took part in an on-field ceremony to honor four Jackie Robinson Foundation scholars from the University of Michigan, as well as the six winners of the Tigers' 13th annual Jackie Robinson Art, Essay and Poetry contest.

The total effort helps raise awareness of the impact Robinson had not just on baseball, but America. Granderson thinks Major League Baseball's efforts over the past several years have helped.

"I think the awareness of Jackie Robinson and the importance of the day is there," Granderson said. "And I think it's been there -- maybe not necessarily the day, but the fact of who he is and what he's done for not only baseball, but in general."

Another goal for Granderson is to try to continue the legacy and get more African-American kids involved in the game, notably in inner cities. Granderson has been involved in that effort, along with other prominent Major Leaguers such as Jimmy Rollins.

That goal, Granderson said, has been tougher to achieve.

"I think there has been a lot made about acknowledging the decline of African-Americans, not only in Major League Baseball, but baseball in general," Granderson said. "But I haven't seen much working to get it back right. You've seen attempts."

A report released Wednesday, however, indicated the percentage of black players in the Majors increased to 10.2 percent last year, the first rise since the 1995 season.

Granderson's recent success, as well as that of CC Sabathia, and the World Series run by the Phillies behind star players Rollins and Ryan Howard, have all made African-American players more visible in the game. Still, Granderson said, no African-American baseball player has reached the same level of recognition as top superstar players in other sports, such as LeBron James and Kevin Garnett in basketball, or LaDainian Tomlinson in football.

Granderson thinks there's starting to be an impact. He has heard people in public talking about the commercials Rollins and Howard did this past offseason. Still, progress has been tough, and Granderson and others have tried to come up with ideas.

"Just talking with guys on this team and other teams, I've been trying to come up with what needs to be done, what can be done," Granderson said. "I think the most difficult thing has been getting kids to think that it's not a boring sport.

"We have big-name guys in baseball. I don't know what it is."

One thing Granderson would like to see is more kids playing baseball longer, along with other sports. He worries that youth and high school athletics have become so encompassing in terms of workouts and practices that kids are sometimes forced to choose one sport too early rather than enjoy more than one.

Granderson grew up with basketball as his first love. He didn't choose baseball over hoops, he said, until his sophomore year in college. Marcus Thames, he pointed out, was a great football player as a kid, as were Ryan Raburn and Brent Clevlen.

"It's part of being a kid and growing up," Granderson said. "And I don't think you should be limited until you, the kid, get to decide."

Granderson and Tigers hitting coach Lloyd McClendon were among the judges for the Art, Essay and Poetry Contest, which received 277 submissions from local middle and high school students. Here were the winners:

Art -- Kendall Dumas, Langston Hughes Middle School, Detroit; Randy Asahak, Mohegan High School, Macomb
Essay -- Sanjay Reddy, West Bloomfield Middle School; Andrew Biter, Riverview High School, Detroit
Poetry -- Alex Knight, Sarah Banks Middle School, Walled Lake; Raphael Tramble, Loyola High School, Detroit

Jason Beck is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

PostSubject: Re: CURTIS GRANDERSON Career Tracker   CURTIS GRANDERSON Career Tracker Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 5:34 pm

Granderson enjoys coming home
Tigers outfielder soaks up finer points of Chicago

By David Just / Special to MLB.com

05/06/09 10:25 PM ET

CHICAGO -- The Tigers' two-game set against the White Sox provides outfielder Curtis Granderson with an abbreviated homecoming of sorts.

The fleet-footed center fielder grew up 25 minutes south of U.S. Cellular Field in Lynwood, Ill., and attended Thornton Fractional South High School. Granderson said his friends and family always are in attendance when he's in town, which makes his visits back to Chicago particularly special.

His career numbers on the South Side might be well below his usual standards, but that hasn't changed his love for the city.

"I love to come home and play here and get a chance to play against the White Sox," Granderson said. "It's my favorite city to visit, but in terms of playing, I got to give it to Anaheim. I love playing there."

Indeed, Granderson is hitting .370 with seven home runs in 73 career at-bats at Angel Stadium.

Statistics aside, Granderson loves Chicago for a host of different reasons, the most obvious being his choice of restaurants. Even though he only will be in town for two days, Granderson will make a point to get a bite to eat in his favorite neighborhood.

"It'll be tough this time, but I'll make sure to get to Greektown and get some Greektown gyros," Granderson said. "If we have some day time or happen to have an off-day, I'll definitely get a pizza, too. Fortunately, many places here are open 24 hours, so I can eat anytime."

Granderson was dismayed that the team will not be in town for the annual Taste of Chicago, which runs for 10 days in late June through the Fourth of July.

"I'd have to school the guys on how to eat there," Granderson said. "Just because you see a turkey leg and you love it, we don't all need a turkey leg. One person gets it, and then we all split it so we can try some other things."

A career in Detroit clearly has done little to affect Granderson's appreciation for the finer points of his hometown.

David Just is a contributor to MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

PostSubject: Re: CURTIS GRANDERSON Career Tracker   CURTIS GRANDERSON Career Tracker Icon_minitimeSun May 10, 2009 1:15 am

Highlight plays and Gold Gloves
BECK'S BLOG

To me, one of the factors that adds to the impact of Curtis Granderson's incredible catch Friday night was the player it came against. Grady Sizemore has probably had more highlight catches over the course of his career, certainly more memorable catches at the fence or near the track. In fact, one of his highlight catches last year or two years ago was a diving catch going back in the gap that robbed Granderson in Cleveland.

So when somebody mentioned Sizemore to Granderson, his thoughts went to that catch pretty quickly.

"He's robbed me of a few, too, here in this ballpark," Granderson said after the game. "That's the only place we seem to do it. Our ballpark's so big, you can't play deep enough, and if we do, we can't hit it to center field. He's definitely taken away a lot of balls against our team, and against me in particular. I get the chance to even it out, sure enough. He's probably going to be trying to get me tomorrow."

When you think about the ballpark comments, it's a great point. Most of Granderson's highlight catches in his career have been sliding or diving grabs in front of him. The one memorable grab at the fence from him in my mind is the catch he made to rob then-Red Sox player Wily Mo Pena on July 8, 2007. You can watch the replay here under the top play link and realize how far he had to run to get to the fence.

It raises an intriguing question that has come up before: How big of a role do highlight plays factor in Gold Glove awards? These are the plays coaches around the league see and hear about the next day in their respective clubhouses, and coaches make the vote. Granderson was arguably been underrated as an outfielder, though his stats took a little bit of a dip last year.

Well, already this season you have the incredible throw to the plate Granderson made on the fly last month, and now this. If Granderson can put up the stats -- he put a LOT of emphasis on his defense this spring -- will highlight plays become a factor that gets him serious Gold Glove consideration?

* Posted on May 9, 2009 at 11:20 AM
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

PostSubject: Re: CURTIS GRANDERSON Career Tracker   CURTIS GRANDERSON Career Tracker Icon_minitimeTue May 12, 2009 4:31 pm

Tuesday, May 12, 2009
Catches put grand in Curtis Granderson
Tom Gage / The Detroit News

CLICK LINK TO SEE:> http://mlb.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?content_id=4478819

Minneapolis -- One was a tour de force, the other a tour defense. But they were both masterpieces.

That's what those two catches in Cleveland by Curtis Granderson were.

The first on Friday night got a lot of attention, as it should have. After all, it saved the game for the Tigers.

The one on Sunday, in its own way, was just as difficult, though nowhere near as dramatic. Granderson had a longer way to run for Sunday's steal of extra bases from Shin-Soo Choo.

He approached the wall at greater speed than he did on Friday, and like the sensational grab that took a home run away from Grady Sizemore, it was a work of art.

As the Tigers now switch to the Metrodome for the completion of their three-city trip -- and, by the way, this ballpark has seen a theft or two in center (a la Kirby Puckett and Torii Hunter) -- it's clear once more how proficient Granderson has become at his position.

But we won't go down the Gold Glove "is-there-any-justice" road yet.

Hunter and Ichiro Suzuki have won eight consecutive Gold Gloves in the American League. Sizemore has won two in a row. They are outstanding outfielders.

The woods are full of them. But the woods also are getting pretty darn full of Granderson replays. He'll win a Gold Glove someday. Wait and see.

In the meantime, his intent along the way is to make it all look easier than it is.

"I was talking with Andruw Jones," Granderson said, "and he told me that's the reason he thinks he's won so many Gold Gloves (10). He makes everything look easy.

"He doesn't dive unless he has to, tries not to get bad jumps on the ball, but as he said, 'Everyone got accustomed to me catching it if it was up in the air.'

"When I heard him say that, I thought, 'OK, I'll try to make everything look easy. Cover as much ground as I can, and turn as many balls into outs as I can.' "

Playing in Comerica Park half the time, however, makes it difficult.

"It's not like Texas with its warm-weather grass cut low," Granderson said. "You even gain a little speed while running there.

"Then you go back to Comerica that's big and difficult to see in -- and still hasn't gotten better.

"There are certain times when it seems normal, if the wind is still and it's dark out, like 9 or 10 p.m. ... But, by far, it is the most difficult field to play on."

Granderson doesn't make playing center field at Comerica Park look easy -- just as easy as it can be. Like his catches in Cleveland.

"One thing about Curtis," said Tigers outfielder Josh Anderson, still in the process of getting to know him, "is that his passion for the game shows every day. His awareness is impressive.

"People might not know how tough a play he made (on Sunday). When you go for a ball, you have to go hard. But when you go at a wall, you can't bang it too hard. That was aggressiveness and awareness at the same time."

Tigers coach Andy Van Slyke believes a talented outfielder should make "a difficult catch look routine and impossible catches look difficult."

On that scale, there are no impossible catches. Perhaps on Granderson's scale, too.

Or perhaps we should say on Granderson's easel.

Two catches in Cleveland, two classics. Painted by the same artist.

tom.gage@detnews.com

Last edited by TigersForever on Fri May 29, 2009 8:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

PostSubject: Re: CURTIS GRANDERSON Career Tracker   CURTIS GRANDERSON Career Tracker Icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2009 8:38 am

Lineup spot changes approach
Batting fifth against rookie, Granderson adjusts

By Pete Kerzel / Special to MLB.com

05/28/09 6:37 PM ET

BALTIMORE -- Curtis Granderson didn't pay much attention Thursday afternoon to the grainy video being pumped over a laptop and through one of the Tigers' clubhouse televisions. It was supposed to give Detroit a look at Orioles right-hander David Hernandez, who made his Major League debut against Detroit later that evening.

But Granderson, who was dropped from leadoff to fifth in the Tigers' lineup to provide some additional protection for cleanup hitter Miguel Cabrera, preferred to go about his normal pregame routine minus any extra scouting of Hernandez, a 24-year-old power pitcher who assumed the rotation spot belonging to Japanese import Koji Uehara, who is on the disabled list with a left hamstring strain.

"It seems like once you get to the Major Leagues, everything gets technically advanced, and in the Minor Leagues, you don't have that," explained Granderson. "You just go up there. That's the process that got you here, so I try to revert back to that. Go back to the simple basics: see ball, hit ball, get yourself into a position to hit."

Granderson is hitting .364 (4-for-11) on the current road trip to lift his season average to .247. So far this season, he's been a better hitter on the road -- where he is hitting .293 (27-for-92) -- compared to a .200 average (18-for-90) at Comerica Park.

Against Hernandez, he hopes to benefit from not having to hit first, as he's done 41 times previously this season.

"You talk to guys who have hit before you," Granderson said. "You learn as you go. ... You don't want to go up there and take two pitches -- strike one, strike two -- and then be behind a guy who might have average stuff who all of a sudden turns into a guy with great stuff."

Manager Jim Leyland dropped Granderson in the batting order, in part, to give Hernandez a tougher middle of the lineup to face. Leyland originally had Granderson leading off and designated hitter Jeff Larish batting fifth behind Cabrera. Then he retooled the order, using left fielder Clete Thomas as his leadoff hitter, putting Granderson fifth and moving Larish to the seven hole, behind third baseman Brandon Inge.

"It gives the lineup a little more credibility when you've got a guy like Granderson hitting behind Cabrera. It doesn't put as much pressure on the kid [Larish] to have to hit behind [Cabrera]," Leyland said. "I actually had it the other way to start with, and I changed it."

Larish is hitting only .111 (2-for-18) in his last eight games, with nine strikeouts over that span. Leyland hopes the cozy confines of Camden Yards might result in a resumption of Larish's power stroke. Larish homered in three straight games, May 10-13.

"I put Larish in there tonight and dropped him down a little bit, [trying to] take a little pressure off him," Leyland said. "This is a ballpark where you can hit a home run, and I was hoping he'd maybe run into one. ... Maybe having him behind Cabrera spooked him a little bit."

Granderson has usually benefited from having left-handed-hitting Josh Anderson in the leadoff spot when he's been dropped to fifth. Because Thomas also swings from the left side of the plate, Granderson hopes he can benefit from the lineup construction.

"For the most part, I get a chance to watch another lefty before me and see what the pitcher is doing to him," Granderson said. "When it comes up to finally be my turn to bat, the situation only changes because there might be a guy on base the first at-bat as opposed to there being no runners on base on my first at-bat all the time. In that situation, you treat it however the case comes. On second base with two outs, you try to drive him in or on second base with less than two outs, you try to move him over. The situation will dictate my approach to the plate."

Pete Kerzel is a contributor to MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
RememberTheBird
Toledo Mud Hens (AAA)
Toledo Mud Hens (AAA)
RememberTheBird

PostSubject: Re: CURTIS GRANDERSON Career Tracker   CURTIS GRANDERSON Career Tracker Icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2009 1:23 pm

Tigers give Cabrera, Polanco a break
Granderson gets rare opportunity as cleanup hitter

By Pete Kerzel / Special to MLB.com

05/31/09 6:33 PM ET

BALTIMORE -- Manager Jim Leyland's decision to give scuffling Miguel Cabrera a day off landed the Tigers a new cleanup hitter, and Curtis Granderson's introduction to the four-hole came with a morning full of playful ribbing from his manager and teammates.

"Cleanup hitter!" Leyland announced loudly while strolling by Granderson's locker.

Granderson started in the fourth spot in the batting order for the first time in his Major League career in Sunday's 3-0 victory against the Orioles. He was hard-pressed to remember the last time he occupied that spot.

"I honestly don't remember," said Granderson, who has hit fifth the past five games and leadoff in 165 of 179 games since the start of last season. "In college, I hit third. All through the Minors, I did everything but fourth. High school was first, second, third. I honestly don't know. I was never the biggest kid, and it seems like big kids batted fourth."

With Cabrera 1-for-12 in Baltimore entering Sunday and with just two homers in his past 16 games, Leyland took the opportunity to utilize Monday's scheduled off-day and turn the Sunday break into a two-day vacation for both Cabrera and second baseman Placido Polanco. Jeff Larish replaced Cabrera at first base and hit fifth, while Ramon Santiago got the nod at second, taking over Polanco's customary second spot in the batting order.

The moves paid off enough, as Granderson homered in the fourth off Orioles starter Jason Berken for his only hit and the only run Detroit would need. Larish had two hits, including an insurance RBI double in the eighth inning.

Sundays often present managers an opportunity to give their bench players a shot and tired regulars a break. But the significance of replacing the American League's third-leading hitter -- Cabrera's .355 mark trailed only injured Tampa Bay shortstop Jason Bartlett (.373) and Boston's Kevin Youkilis (.362) entering play Sunday -- wasn't lost on Granderson.

"It will be interesting, though, with Miguel not in there, kind of trying to fill that void," Granderson said. "The good thing about going to [the five-spot] was that I didn't look at it as I had to do anything [different]. Hopefully, the same process will go in there today. I've had the luxury to bat before Magglio [Ordonez], and now I'll be after him."

Then Granderson turned to Ordonez, a locker away, and joked, "Give you some protection behind you." Ordonez's reply: "A lot of pressure."

Perhaps so, but Granderson's .308 average on the road and 12 homers made him a logical choice to supplant Cabrera, even for a day.

"I'm just getting [Cabrera] away from it for a day or so," explained Leyland. "This will turn into a two-day sabbatical. That's what it's all about. That's what a team is for."

And it's not as if Cabrera is taking an early flight back to Detroit, Leyland pointed out.

"I'm not going to have [Cabrera] too far from the bat rack," the manager said.

Polanco certainly appreciates the break, especially after starting the series 1-for-13.

"You get a day to rest and it's giving your mind and body a day to rest. Two days is even better," Polanco said. "It can do a lot of good."

And while some players cringe when they arrive in the clubhouse and find the lineup posted without their name on it, Polanco takes a veteran's approach to the brief respite.

"Sometimes," Polanco smiled, "less is more. It's a long season."

Pete Kerzel is a contributor to MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
RememberTheBird
Toledo Mud Hens (AAA)
Toledo Mud Hens (AAA)
RememberTheBird

PostSubject: Re: CURTIS GRANDERSON Career Tracker   CURTIS GRANDERSON Career Tracker Icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2009 1:41 pm

Tuesday, June 2, 2009
Analysis
Curtis Granderson resembling a middle-of-the-order force these days
Tom Gage / The Detroit News

Detroit -- Is Curtis Granderson having a good season?

Those of you who believe he is are choosing to overlook a so-so .258 batting average.

Those of you who say he isn't aren't taking into account his 13 home runs.

But those of you who shrug your shoulders and say, "Dunno," welcome to the club -- because I don't know, either.

What's more, I don't think he's really sure. Or that manager Jim Leyland is sure. That's how un-Curtis this Granderson season has been so far.

What we saw in Baltimore was Granderson hitting fifth three games in a row, followed by him hitting fourth for the first time ever. When asked what the middle-of-the-lineup use signifies, Leyland said only that Granderson hasn't seen the last of leadoff.

The next day, he hit clean-up.

The next day, Granderson also hit his 13th home run, and the run held up as the only one of the game until the eighth. In other words, it looked like his power was going to win the game.

But is there some kind of transformation taking place with Granderson? He has one triple in 49 games. The year he hit 23 triples, he had six in his first 49 games. Six triples and 17 doubles.

This year, in addition to his one triple, he has only five doubles.

Granderson, 28, is doing a lot less gap hitting, even less down-the-line hitting -- and more long-ball hitting. His power has been impressive. At this rate, he would hit 42 home runs, but is that really him as a hitter?

Or is it what he's mutating into -- someone to hit in the heart of the batting order, as he has done the last five games?

It's one of the more fascinating-yet-unanswerable questions of the Tigers' season so far: Are we seeing Granderson as a slashing, exciting line-drive hitter, flying around the bases, being replaced by one who contributes in a far different way?

Until we see otherwise, it appears so.

For one thing, there are the home runs. In all three of his seasons as a full-time player, Granderson hit eight in his first 49 games. He couldn't have been more consistent along those lines.

He has 13 at that point now, but only six other extra-base hits -- the first time he's ever had more homers than other extra-base hits combined at this point.

"He wants to get more consistent with his stroke, and I see it starting to come," Leyland said. "You get torn in between. Instant runs are huge, but I don't want him trying to hit home runs."

Granderson agrees he's still striving for consistency, but he's not ready to slot himself as a gap hitter-turned-power guy just yet. For one thing, he never projects the rest of a season according to how his first two months have gone.

"I've always been a bad starter," he said. "I'm not sure why. Even my high school coach says I was a slow starter for him. I don't know what it is. It takes me a while to get going."

Thirteen home runs at this point isn't a slow start if you're that kind of hitter, however. But there's that question again.

Has he become that kind of hitter? I go back to my original reply: Dunno.

tom.gage@detnews.com
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

PostSubject: Re: CURTIS GRANDERSON Career Tracker   CURTIS GRANDERSON Career Tracker Icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2009 7:45 pm

With our new speedsters, Grandy can be a log ball hitter.
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

PostSubject: Re: CURTIS GRANDERSON Career Tracker   CURTIS GRANDERSON Career Tracker Icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 8:23 am

Granderson's triple key in AL's triumph
Tigers prove quite valuable in whirlwind All-Star Game

By Jason Beck / MLB.com

07/15/09 1:55 AM ET

ST. LOUIS -- Of all the sights the Tigers enjoyed at this week's All-Star festivities, perhaps none were as welcome as the sight of Curtis Granderson tearing around second base and charging for third.

"Every time he even starts out of the box, I think he's got a chance at three [bases]," fellow All-Star Brandon Inge said. "The question is, 'Does he have a chance at four?'"

Three was plenty Tuesday night. In this case, it was the key to keeping the American League's dominance going in the All-Star Game.

Granderson's triples were a common sight the past two years, having led the league in them. He has just two for the Tigers so far this season, a casualty of his homer binge in the season's first half. Tuesday's triple couldn't have come at a much better time, setting up his go-ahead run in the eighth inning on Adam Jones' sacrifice fly for a 4-3 AL win at Busch Stadium.

It was a crucial hit, seemingly a perfect strategy to manufacture a run. Except Granderson wasn't thinking about it that way.

"I always try, no matter what," Granderson said. "I'm going to let the defense slow me down."

Granderson entered the game as a defensive replacement in the bottom of the sixth inning, replacing starting center fielder Josh Hamilton. Instead of batting sixth in Hamilton's spot, however, Granderson went in the third slot for Joe Mauer.

That difference came up huge when Granderson stepped to the plate with one out in the eighth. He took a first-pitch curveball outside from Padres closer Heath Bell before he got a fastball on the outside half of the plate. Granderson sent it to the fence and over the head of left fielder Justin Upton.

When Granderson put up 23 triples in 2007, the difference was his mentality out of the batter's box. He speeds up at the start, thinking about a triple until and unless he sees the ball fielded. Then he thinks his way down to two bases, then one.

Somehow, he hasn't had to do that often this season. This was an exception.

"Right away when I hit it, I thought, 'Oh yeah, I hit it pretty good -- let's see what's going to happen,'" Granderson said. "And sure enough, it kicked off the wall, and I thought I'm going to try my best to get there."

The fact that Upton was seemingly playing Granderson shallow might've made a difference. Zack Greinke, who gave up one of Granderson's triples in 2007, noticed it from the dugout.

"[Justin] Verlander called a home run," Greinke said, "and I was like, 'If he hits the ball, it's going to be an extra-base hit for sure.' That's all he ever does. ...

"I've never seen him to do it to that side [of the field], though. He always pulls the ball. That was kind of weird to see."

Granderson headed into second as center fielder Jayson Werth retrieved the ball, but he never stopped. His challenge on Werth turned out clutch once he slid safely into third.

"Curtis not being satisfied with a double was huge," AL All-Star manager Joe Maddon said afterwards. "It made them do something they didn't want to do. They had to come in, they walk [Victor] Martinez to try to get Jones to hit into a double play, and then he hits the sacrifice fly. All of that strategy changed because of Curtis going to third."

It was a critical extra base with one out, except Granderson didn't realize it.

"I honestly forgot it was one out," Granderson sheepishly admitted. "When I got to third base, I was like, 'Oh, that's a good possible mistake if I get there.' But the fact that the ball kicked away was my trigger to go."

Bell intentionally walked Martinez, but Jones' ensuing fly ball into the right-field corner allowed Granderson to jog home.

It gave Granderson quite a memory from his first Midsummer Classic. It also provided a topic for no shortage of conversation as Granderson and his parents made their way home to Chicago by car after the game.

He's hoping it also provides him with a spark going into the season's second half.

"Maybe this will be the kick start for the second half to go ahead and pick them back up," Granderson said. "They come in bunches. Hopefully this is the first of many."

The clutch hit capped a couple days of fun for the four Tigers All-Stars, three of whom experienced the Midsummer Classic for the first time. Edwin Jackson's perfect four-pitch fifth inning was part of a string of 18 straight batters retired by AL pitchers.

"I think it was just the time leading up to it that went slow," Jackson said. "The inning went pretty fast. I wish it could be like that all the time."

Together, they Before that, he was having fun competing with Ichiro Suzuki on trick catches in right field during batting practice. drew oohs and aahs from fans in the right-field seats, not to mention from Jackson.

"He was showing me his special little catch that he does," Jackson said, mimicking the way Ichiro can catch a ball behind and over his back. "I didn't do it. I didn't want to get hit in the head."

A day after Inge went scoreless in the State Farm Home Run Derby and loved it, Inge was still having a blast. He entered the game in the eighth inning as a defensive replacement. He grounded out leading off the ninth.

"I loved it all -- I liked everything about it," Inge said. "In my mind, I know I can play well enough to get back here. On the other hand, it's like any game I play: I approach it as if it could be my last."

Verlander was the one Tigers All-Star who didn't get into the game, but he expected that, having pitched on Sunday. This year, he made it a goal to enjoy himself, partly because he knew was unlikely to pitch. That wasn't a problem.

"It's been a lot more relaxed this time," Verlander said. "What I wanted it to be, it's pretty much been. It's been a little more slow motion for me, able to just take it in and have a good time."

Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

PostSubject: Re: CURTIS GRANDERSON Career Tracker   CURTIS GRANDERSON Career Tracker Icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2009 5:58 pm

Tigers' Curtis Granderson all smiles in return to St. Louis

BY JOHN LOWE • FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER • July 16, 2009

ST. LOUIS -- Curtis Granderson stood at his locker Tuesday night and talked with one reporter after another about his evening -- about how he'd met President Barack Obama, and how he'd tripled and scored the winning run in the All-Star Game.

At one point in the questioning, for just a moment, Granderson thought about how three years ago another slew of reporters had come to talk to him in this same visitors' clubhouse in Busch Stadium.

The Tigers' centerfielder thought about how those World Series circumstances differed drastically from these All-Star circumstances. And he almost said something.

"At one point, I wanted to say, 'This time we leave out of here on a positive note,' " Granderson said. "But that's not what I really felt. It just entered my head for a minute."

In Game 4 of the 2006 World Series, the Tigers took a 3-2 lead to the bottom of the seventh. With a win, they would tie the Series and ensure that it returned to Detroit.

David Eckstein led off the seventh with a routine fly to center. Granderson slipped. The ball landed safely. It was the start of a two-run rally that helped the Cardinals to a win. The Cardinals won the World Series at home the next night.

At the All-Star Game, Granderson was amazed at how many St. Louis fans, young and old, reminded him of his World Series fall.

The ever-cordial Granderson said he gave those taunting fans this reply: "Hey, it's 2009. That's one of the farthest things from my mind. If you guys say that, great. But I'm out here enjoying this."

Granderson believes he learned a lot from facing all those reporters at the '06 World Series.

"You look at the biggest stage possible to have that (the slip) happen -- nothing from that point on could be any worse," Granderson said. "I think that's a good thing. There's always going to be a high and a bottom, and that's one of the bottoms I've had. So that, in a good way, has helped me out."

Granderson's eloquence and steadiness during all kinds of interviews and circumstances seems so natural that it's hard to believe he had to learn and develop those skills. But he says that night of the World Series slip taught him a lot about how to answer reporters' questions.

"I had interviews prior to that, but nothing of that magnitude, with all the (TV) lights and the most difficult questions I'd had to that point," he said this week. "I was just trying to stay composed. I knew everyone was at my locker (to ask about the slip). For a split-second, I thought, 'Do I take a shower or eat to let them disperse? Or do I handle them right now?' I decided that I would have to answer these questions regardless, so go to the locker.

"I remember there were a few questions that tried to get me to put blame on the grounds crew. It was my mistake. Why would I put it on someone else? I thought later about some of the questions they asked me, and I just moved forward from there."

He has done a lot of moving forward. After Tuesday night's game, he listened to a recitation of what he has packed into the four years since he came to the big leagues to stay:

World Series. All-Star Game. World Baseball Classic. As many triples (23) in one season as anyone in about 80 years. His current TV ad for teaching. His international travels on behalf of baseball. The letter in which commissioner Bud Selig told him he's as well suited as any current player to represent the sport.

"I've accomplished a lot," said Granderson, "and there's still a lot more to accomplish."
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

PostSubject: Re: CURTIS GRANDERSON Career Tracker   CURTIS GRANDERSON Career Tracker Icon_minitimeSun Jul 19, 2009 9:33 pm

Granderson to hold wine-tasting event
All-Star's upcoming charity endeavor to be held Thursday

By Jason Beck / MLB.com

07/19/09 2:52 PM ET

DETROIT -- Curtis Granderson has given plenty of his time to charitable causes over his four years with the Tigers. His next fundraising effort will include a night out.

Detroit's All-Star outfielder, who scored the winning run in last week's All-Star Game, will become a wine taster for the evening, welcoming teammates Edwin Jackson and Ryan Perry for a Passport to the Wines of the World this Thursday at Big Rock Chophouse/The Reserve in Birmingham.

The event will feature over 300 wines from five continents, including local wines from the Detroit area and the state of Michigan, as well as a silent auction of sports memorabilia, wine and entertainment package. The evening includes a bachelor auction, where the highest bid will win an elegant dinner for two with Granderson, Jackson or Perry.

Noted young comic Jeff Dye, third-place finisher in last year's edition of NBC's Last Comic Standing, will perform a standup set and serve as the auctioneer. The Seattle native won the 10th annual Giggles Laff Off in his hometown last year and has performed in the Just for Laughs Festival the last two years, including this year in Chicago. His comedy is clean but has been described as charmingly twisted.

"I am really excited to have Jeff come out and perform at this event," Granderson said last week. "I am positive that all in attendance will enjoy Jeff's comedic style and he will add a great energy to the evening. Plus, he is a big baseball fan, albeit for the Mariners."

The festivities begin with a VIP reception hosted by Granderson, beginning at 6:30 p.m. ET. A 7 p.m. champagne toast precedes the main event at 7:30 p.m. The bachelor auction will start at 8:45 p.m.

Proceeds from the evening will benefit the Grand Kids Foundation, which helps students and schools in Michigan's inner cities by purchasing school supplies and books, establishing baseball programs, providing equipment and helping improve facilities.

Tickets for Passport to the Wines of the World run $85 for general admission and $135 for a VIP package, which includes admission to the VIP reception as well as special VIP wines and a souvenir wine glass. Members of the Detroit Wine Organization receive a $10 discount on both VIP and general admission tickets. Membership is free at detroitwine.org.

For more information or to purchase tickets, log onto www.curtisgranderson.com/passport.

Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

PostSubject: Re: CURTIS GRANDERSON Career Tracker   CURTIS GRANDERSON Career Tracker Icon_minitimeTue Aug 11, 2009 8:56 am

20-20 vision: Granderson hits milestone
Center fielder reaches 20 homers, SBs for second time

By Jason Beck / MLB.com

08/10/09 8:21 PM ET

DETROIT -- A 30-30 season isn't out of the question for Curtis Granderson, but it's out of his mind.

Granderson's stolen base Sunday earned him his second 20-homer, 20-steal season in three years. Unlike 2007, he got there with enough time that he has at least an outside chance to go above and beyond that.

No player in Tigers history has had a 30-30 season. But to Detroit's current leadoff man and center fielder, though he's just eight homers and 10 stolen bases away, it's more of a statistical anomaly than a personal goal. It's a feat that, to Granderson, depends as much on good fortune and opportunities as it does on skill.

"It's one of those things that if it happens, great, because I really just can't do anything about it," Granderson said. "I can't necessarily swing for the fences, because I'm not that type of hitter. I haven't hit enough home runs to learn a home run swing. The stolen bases don't always present themselves."

Sunday's 8-7 win was one such example. Though Twins reliever Matt Guerrier intentionally walked Granderson in the eighth inning to set up a potential double play with the go-ahead run on third and Placido Polanco at the plate, the situation wasn't automatic for Granderson to steal.

"If I go and I get thrown out, that's not good," Granderson said. "The third-to-first [pickoff], that's not good. Or if I get doubled up, that's not good."

Instead, those were enough concerns -- especially being doubled off -- that manager Jim Leyland put a stop sign on Granderson.

The way games go and the way Granderson analyzes various situations, he usually has more opportunities to take extra bases on hits, especially his own, than he does to steal. That's what makes the homer-steal combination rather unexpected for him.

"I can't run to run," he said. "A lot of stuff has to happen."

If he doesn't get it, he's still in pretty select company. He's one of just three players in club history to post multiple 20-20 seasons, and the other two coached him. Kirk Gibson did it four times, and Alan Trammell accomplished it twice.

Gibson is the only Tiger to have 25 homers and 25 steals in the same year, doing it three times. He came one homer short of 30-30 in 1985, and two homers shy the next year.

Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

PostSubject: Re: CURTIS GRANDERSON Career Tracker   CURTIS GRANDERSON Career Tracker Icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2009 6:00 pm

Leyland gives Granderson a breather
Tigers outfielder struggling in recent trips to the plate

By Jason Beck / MLB.com

08/20/09 1:42 PM ET

DETROIT -- Curtis Granderson is putting in the extra swings, manager Jim Leyland said, but he isn't getting the hits to go with them. So Leyland is getting the Tigers' leadoff man out of the lineup for a couple days.

With the Tigers facing left-handed starters Thursday and Friday, Leyland is giving Granderson an extended rest, hoping to get him away from a struggling stretch that has him hitless in his past 13 at-bats with seven strikeouts, and batting .226 since July 28. It isn't easy filling his place, but Leyland wants to make the sacrifice now to try to get Granderson ready for the stretch run.

Clete Thomas started in center field Friday, earning a rare start against a lefty. It marked his first start in center since April of last year, when Granderson opened the season on the disabled list. Placido Polanco started in Detroit's leadoff spot for the first time since the 2007 season finale.

Though Granderson has had peaks and valleys for much of the season, this stretch has been particularly difficult. He went 0-for-4 with two strikeouts Wednesday, leading off two innings and becoming the third out in two others, though there was no one on base in either case. He led off three different innings with strikeouts Tuesday.

As Leyland has admitted many times this year, Granderson ignites the offense from atop the batting order, and they've been lacking that the last few games.

"I think Grandy's always been a little bit of a streaky player," Leyland said, "and I think some of the streaks are lasting a little bit longer. When he gets rolling, he can really get rolling. And when he struggles, he can really struggle."

Indeed, Granderson has had dominant stretches this season, including a three-homer, 7-for-12 April series against the Angels, whom the Tigers visit again next week. Most of those stretches, however, have come on the road, where Granderson is batting .270 with 17 homers, 28 RBIs and an .892 OPS. He's one of the few Tigers playing better away from home this year on a club that struggles mightily as a group away from Comerica Park.

Granderson is also batting just .178 against lefties this year, compared with .283 with a .904 OPS versus right-handers. So getting him away from lefty starters could also be a confidence boost for the moment.

The vast difference in the splits run counter to the consistency in the persona.

"He's a real bright young man," Leyland said, "and pretty smart about not getting too high or too low. He always handles things very sensibly, I think. I'm sure inside it probably bothers him a little bit."

Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

PostSubject: Re: CURTIS GRANDERSON Career Tracker   CURTIS GRANDERSON Career Tracker Icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 8:22 pm

Granderson enjoying timely hot streak
Tigers outfielder shakes slump heading into crucial set

By Jason Beck / MLB.com

09/28/09 12:50 PM ET

DETROIT -- Curtis Granderson had tried just about every adjustment he and Tigers hitting coach Lloyd McClendon could figure to help him out of his slump. He isn't sure which one might have helped lead to his hot-hitting weekend, but he's hoping he can carry it into October.

"I'm just trying to get a couple different things going," Granderson said after falling a triple shy of the cycle in Sunday's 8-4 loss to the White Sox. "Hopefully it's all working out."

With six hits in his past seven at-bats through Sunday, it certainly hasn't hurt.

Of all the perplexities about the Tigers' offense and its run toward a potential postseason berth, Granderson and his season at the plate is high on the list. The center fielder has obliterated his career high in home runs to go with 20-plus steals. Yet he enters the season's final week with a .250 average that would be his career low.

Granderson reached a personal milestone and broke a Tigers record Sunday with his 100th career home run and 24th to lead off a game, powering him past Lou Whitaker for the franchise leadoff homer record. Seven of those have come this year, accounting for nearly a quarter of the team's first-inning homers. He has six more home runs to lead off other innings, and his 24 homers from the top spot in the order stand tied for the Major League lead with Texas' Ian Kinsler.

CURTIS GRANDERSON Career Tracker 3QTP4Vv8
Tigers at a glance
2009 record: 83-72
2008 record: 74-88
AL Central: Lead Twins by 2
Projected matchup:
Tigers at Yankees
Magic numbers
Playoffs: 6 Division: 6

"Cool thing that it happened," Granderson said, "but all the individual stuff right now gets put out the window."

Though Miguel Cabrera stands unquestioned as the heart of the Tigers' offense, manager Jim Leyland considers Granderson as the man who makes the offense go. Simply getting on base usually does that, but Granderson's home runs have been a different kind of offensive jolt. It doesn't put a runner on the basepaths, but it puts a run on the board.

The stats bear out Granderson's impact. When he reaches base safely to lead off an inning, the Tigers average better than a run per inning at 1.05, according to Bill James Online. When he doesn't, the Tigers average .30 runs per inning.

"That will be a big factor," Leyland said. "If we can get him going real good, that will certainly help."

When the Tigers face a left-handed starting pitcher, however, it's no longer a big factor. After showing strong signs he had lefties figured out last year, southpaws made adjustments to pitch him inside, then outside, and he has struggled to catch up. His .178 average against lefties is among the lowest in the Majors for players with at least 150 plate appearances against southpaws.

It's also a big reason for many of his tweaks at the plate.

"We've done a ton of different things all season," Granderson said. "We've raised the hands, lowered the hands, stood up tall, squatted down, opened up, closed up, all those different things. Change is sometimes a good thing, and hopefully this has been the right one."

Asked which change made the difference over the weekend, Granderson said, "Honestly, I really don't know. I couldn't tell you exactly what I've done different for the last couple games or the last at-bats. It's just been constant. Each day, we've been doing something different."

Granderson has settled into the seventh spot in Leyland's lineup against lefties, a twist after speculation that Granderson's future was as a run producer in the middle of the order. If the Tigers win the AL Central, they'll face the Yankees, who have two left-handed starters in CC Sabathia and Andy Pettitte. Granderson is 3-for-26 combined against Sabathia and Pettitte for his career.

Granderson's two-game swing came entirely against right-handed pitching, but it showed some encouraging tweaks he could use off southpaws. He went to the opposite field for a triple down the left-field line off Scott Linebrink Saturday night after singling up the middle an inning earlier. All three of his hits Sunday were pulled to right, including the home run into the right-field bullpen.

"We've been trying different things all season long," Granderson said, "and who knows if this is the right one? It might be. Hopefully it is, and hopefully we keep it moving."

Back to top Go down
RememberTheBird
Toledo Mud Hens (AAA)
Toledo Mud Hens (AAA)
RememberTheBird

PostSubject: Re: CURTIS GRANDERSON Career Tracker   CURTIS GRANDERSON Career Tracker Icon_minitimeMon Oct 12, 2009 10:24 am

Posted: Oct. 12, 2009
Curtis Granderson left a lot to be desired
Outfielder must improve his at-bats vs. southpaws

BY JOHN LOWE
FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

Two years ago, in what seemed his breakthrough season, Curtis Granderson became one of four players in major league history to have at least 20 doubles, 20 triples, 20 homers and 20 steals in the same year.

He did all that despite hitting under .200 against left-handed pitching.

Last season, Granderson improved so much against left-handers that at midseason manager Jim Leyland decided he'd remain at leadoff against all lefties. Granderson previously had hit either down in the order or not started against some lefties.

Now Granderson could for the first time be legitimately compared to Cleveland centerfielder Grady Sizemore, because now -- like the lefty-swinging Sizemore -- he would bat leadoff against all comers.

Granderson finished '08 with a .259 average against left-handers, a 99-point improvement from the previous season.

This season, however, Granderson fell back to where he had been against lefties two years ago. He hit .183 against them. As in '07, according to STATS LLC, Granderson had the lowest batting average against left-handed pitching for any AL player with at least 125 plate appearances against lefties.

Granderson played regularly against left-handed starters this season. As he continued to struggle against them, Leyland sometimes dropped him to seventh in the order.

Tigers general manager Dave Dombrowski assessed what Granderson must do to hit better against left-handers. "He needs to go the opposite way more," Dombrowski said. "He knows that, but sometimes you get into a funk and you do things with your swing. In his case, he tried to pull the ball too often.

"I don't look for him to be quite as productive against lefties as righties, but I think he can be much better than he was this year."

Granderson finished the season with an overall average of .249, the lowest of his career. He hit a career-high 30 homers (two off lefties), but he matched his career high in strikeouts (141).

Contact JOHN LOWE: 313-223-4053 or jlowe@freepress.com.
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

PostSubject: Re: CURTIS GRANDERSON Career Tracker   CURTIS GRANDERSON Career Tracker Icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2009 11:21 pm

Granderson named Miller Award winner
Tigers star selected for good work on and off the field

By Jason Beck / MLB.com

10/30/09 1:50 PM ET

DETROIT -- For the first time since Al Kaline, a Tigers player has won one of baseball's annual national awards for community work. Members of the MLB Players Association voted Detroit center fielder Curtis Granderson as this year's winner of the Marvin Miller Man of the Year Award for on- and off-field performance.

The award, as voted on by Major League players in September, goes annually to the player whose passion to give back to the community inspires others. It includes a donation of $50,000 to the charity of the player's choice. Granderson plans to designate the funds for work that furthers the educational experience of kids in Michigan's inner cities.

"I am honored to not only be receiving such an award, but also humbled that this was voted on by other Major League Baseball players," Granderson said in an email Friday. "I am in a position to use my status as a professional baseball player to help others in need to rally others to help those in need.

"Working with the Detroit Tigers Foundation, the Detroit Action Team and the various other programs along with my own Grand Kids Foundation, I have seen first-hand impacts being made in Detroit and other inner cities throughout Michigan. I am excited at being able to continue to help enhance the educational experience for many of Michigan's students."

For Granderson, the award recognizes the community work that has long been a natural extension for him. He has been one of the most active members of the team in terms of community appearances around the city and region, whether it's for school visits, fundraising efforts or work with the Detroit Tigers Foundation.

"It kind of just happened over time," Granderson said of his work earlier this year. "I was always in different groups and organizations [as a kid], and in turn, those always had some kind of relationship with the neighborhood or the community, whether it was the ambassador program -- which is our Big Brother/Big Sister program in high school -- or Pep Club games. That's just kind of how it started. Then the idea came about 2 1/2 years ago: 'Hey, you know, you really should look into doing foundation-type work.'"

Granderson's own work through his Grand Kids Foundation helps students and schools in Michigan's inner cities by purchasing school supplies and books, establishing baseball programs, providing equipment and helping improve facilities. His fundraising efforts have included a charity basketball game last winter featuring local athletes and celebrities such as Kid Rock, and a wine-tasting event last month that included a bachelor auction with Granderson, Edwin Jackson and Ryan Perry.

Granderson's next big goal of the foundation is to establish a college scholarship for local students. But he also hopes to set an example for others.

"I want to help others realize that they do not have to be rich and famous to make a positive impact in their community," Granderson said Friday. "Volunteering just one hour a week at any community organization or school can make a difference."

Granderson became an author this year with the release of All You Can Be, a children's book which tells his story of growing up in Chicago and encourages kids to build and chase their own dreams. The book hit shelves this summer, and became a part of Michigan's library system earlier this month through a donation.

So much of Granderson's work focuses on education in part because of his background, having grown up in a family of teachers and educators in Chicago.

"Learning the importance just from being around it, education was actually something I liked," Granderson said. "It wasn't something that I dreaded. I never disliked going to school. My friends were there. I had fun there. School wasn't very hard for me. So I enjoyed it. And I saw a lot of kids that I grew up with, that I speak to today, that say, 'Man, I wish I would've done this or that differently, five, 10, 15 years ago.' Not necessarily get straight A's, but just the discipline aspect of it, not to get in trouble, do the right thing when it came to school to allow them opportunities to do those things that they wish they could do right now."

On the field, Granderson set a career high with 30 home runs to go with a .249 average, 23 doubles, eight triples, 71 RBIs and 20 stolen bases. His seven leadoff homers this season pushed him ahead of Lou Whitaker for the franchise record with 24 for his career.

Granderson's honor marks just the second time a Tiger has won a Players Choice award since they began in 1992. Justin Verlander was previously Detroit's lone winner, having been voted the American League's Outstanding Rookie of the Year in 2006. In terms of community work, Kaline was Detroit's last national winner when he received the Roberto Clemente Award in 1973.

Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

PostSubject: Re: CURTIS GRANDERSON Career Tracker   CURTIS GRANDERSON Career Tracker Icon_minitimeSun Nov 01, 2009 8:36 pm

CURTIS GRANDERSON Career Tracker 4065893363_786b9da3a4_o

Granderson donates book to schools
Tigers star wants to promote reading for Michigan youth

By Alden Gonzalez / MLB.com

11/01/09 10:03 AM EST

When Tigers center fielder Curtis Granderson set out to create a children's book, his goals had nothing to do with profit -- he simply wanted to get kids excited about learning.

His new book "All You Can Be: Dream It, Draw It, Become It!" is being distributed free of charge to public elementary school libraries in Michigan, a recent article on the Michigan Department of Education Web site stated.

Copies of the book are being donated by Granderson and Chicago-based publisher Triumph Books.

Illustrations in the book were contributed by fourth-grade students across the state. A contest was held to pick the artwork, as hundreds of children contributed drawings and Granderson selected 29. The theme for the illustrations was: How do you see yourself when you are in high school, and how is education important to helping you become that person?

Granderson, who grew up on the south side of Chicago, is the son of two schoolteachers and learned the importance of education at an early age. All of the net proceeds from the public sale of the books go to Granderson's foundation, Grand Kids Foundation.

"There was one simple thing I wanted to achieve with 'All You Can Be' -- to make learning fun for school children," Granderson was quoted as saying on the Web site. "My mother, Mary, co-author Terry Foster and I truly feel we have accomplished what we set out to do, which was to make learning fun through using creative and different ways to get Michigan's elementary school students thinking about their future."

Alden Gonzalez is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

PostSubject: Re: CURTIS GRANDERSON Career Tracker   CURTIS GRANDERSON Career Tracker Icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2009 5:21 pm

Granderson rumors talk of the town
Tigers not denying they'll listen to offers for star outfielder

By Jason Beck / MLB.com

11/12/09 3:30 PM EST

DETROIT -- What if the Tigers found a way to improve their team, to fill some of the holes they're hamstrung to fill because of payroll, but they had to give up their most popular player and arguably the face of the franchise to do it?

It's something Detroit appears ready to consider.

If the Tigers hoped to do their offseason business quietly, those chances flew out of the lobby at Chicago's O'Hare Airport Hilton like a late traveler with the mention of Curtis Granderson. He's an All-Star center fielder, the face of the franchise, and he's now the talk coming out of this week's GM Meetings.

At least publicly, the Tigers aren't discussing trade talks involving specific players. But they aren't denying anything on Granderson, either, like they did with trade rumors involving Magglio Ordonez last year or Miguel Cabrera this past season. That in itself speaks volumes.

The general theme coming out, the idea that came across from team president/general manager Dave Dombrowski in a phone interview, is that the Tigers will talk about a lot of different things if something can make their team better -- not just three years from now, but right now.

They're not in a fire sale, Dombrowski said, but it's clear the idea of an untouchable player on a large-payroll team that failed to hold onto the AL Central lead in a down year is a lot more loose than it was the past couple of years. Even if it means talking trades for the most popular player on the team, if not the most popular athlete in the city.

"We are always open to talking about players," Dombrowski told the Detroit News, "and we'll continue to talk and see if anything makes sense."

Dombrowski emphasized that discussions aren't deals, and that no deal is close to happening. In Granderson's case, few teams could've expected his availability going into the Meetings, so interested clubs will start looking at packages now. Now that the word is out, however, expect interest to roll in, not just from large-market teams, but maybe some unexpected suitors.

The Yankees, who have outfield openings with Hideki Matsui and Johnny Damon as free agents, popped up in rumors almost immediately as a logical destination. Dombrowski and Yankees general manager Brian Cashman met during the GM Meetings, according to the New York Post, but it was believed to be less formal and more a review of team needs.

The Yankees have the advantage of a center-field prospect in 22-year-old Austin Jackson, who batted .300 with four home runs, 65 RBIs and 24 stolen bases at Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre. During unsuccessful trade talks this past summer for Josh Anderson, the Tigers had a good look at the Yankees' farm system, including third baseman and hitting prospect Brandon Laird, younger brother of Tigers catcher Gerald Laird.

However, Detroit will likely require more than prospects for Granderson, and that could get tricky. So much of New York's young pitching has slotted into key roles that Major League-ready arms could be difficult to pry, and adding immediate offensive help out of the Bronx would appear unlikely, as appealing as Melky Cabrera might be.

The other logical rumored suitor is Granderson's hometown of Chicago, where he still lives during the offseason and where the Cubs would like a leadoff man, plus a move for Kosuke Fukudome from center field to right. Dombrowski and Cubs general manager Jim Hendry have pulled off several smaller trades over the past few years.

But while the Cubs have a gifted young closer in Carlos Marmol, who split ninth-inning duties with Kevin Gregg, they don't have much offensive depth to sell other than outfielder Milton Bradley, whose high contract and high maintenance wouldn't appeal to Detroit. Starlin Castro is a highly-touted shortstop prospect, but he has just 31 games above Class A ball, and doesn't turn 20 years old until March.

The White Sox already have a center fielder with Alex Rios. More important, Granderson isn't likely to be dealt within the division. The two trades Dombrowski made within the AL Central during his eight years in Detroit were deals for Anderson and Roman Colon. Colon went to Kansas City out of necessity in 2007 after being charged with assault in a clubhouse fight with a teammate at Triple-A Toledo; Anderson went to the Royals for cash considerations after being designated for assignment.

Expect inquiries from other teams looking for help in center field, but interest will likely carry over to clubs who have center fielders, but also have needs for power or leadoff needs. The Tigers considered whether to move Granderson to left field a few years ago when Cameron Maybin was rising quickly through their farm system, but Maybin's trade to Florida two years ago erased that possibility.

The Brewers, who had a need in center field at season's end, had a chance to discuss scenarios with the Tigers involving J.J. Hardy. However, Milwaukee GM Doug Melvin told the Detroit Free Press last week that he had no contact with the Tigers because they were looking for players who had low salaries and service time.

The wild card in any talks -- and the one big financial factor -- could be the willingness of clubs to take on one of Detroit's otherwise untradeable contracts. Jeremy Bonderman, Nate Robertson and Dontrelle Willis all will make $10 million or more this year, but they combined for three victories this year. All three contracts, however, expire next winter.

Carlos Guillen will make $13 million in each of the next two seasons and aired his unhappiness about his situation last month to MLB.com, but he has not demanded a trade. He can veto any trade as a 10-and-5 player -- 10 years in the Majors, the last five with the same club -- and it's unlikely he'll find the starting infield position he'd like with a contending team.

For his part, Granderson's $5.5 million salary for next season is fairly reasonable, even after a relatively down year at the plate. The big money in the five-year, $30.25 million contract he signed two winters ago doesn't kick in until the next two years, jumping to $8.25 million in 2011 and $10 million the following year. There's a $13 million club option for 2013.

Granderson's salary isn't the issue, and his ties to the payroll discussion could become moot if the Tigers trade someone else, such as All-Star right-hander Edwin Jackson. For now, though, the chance of him being dealt is an issue for plenty of teams to watch.

Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

PostSubject: Re: CURTIS GRANDERSON Career Tracker   CURTIS GRANDERSON Career Tracker Icon_minitimeThu Dec 03, 2009 9:51 am

Granderson even-keel amid trade buzz
Outfielder going about business as Tigers ponder his fate

By Jason Beck / MLB.com

12/02/09 10:30 PM EST

DETROIT -- Curtis Granderson has heard plenty of talk about his situation on the trade market, but he's staying out of it.

For now, as his status with the Tigers stands as one of the most intriguing questions in baseball heading into next week's Winter Meetings, Granderson is going about his business as he normally would.

When the question of his trade situation popped up on a media conference call Wednesday with MLB Players Association board members -- who were online to discuss their approval of Michael Weiner as executive director -- Granderson treated it cautiously.

"I'm still wearing the Old English 'D,'" Granderson said on the call, "and getting ready to go to Lakeland for Spring Training. That's the only clarification I have at this point."

In other words, Granderson knows about as much as his fans as to his future. The difference is that fans, friends and family ask him as if he knows.

Granderson has not spoken with Tigers officials since his name publicly hit the trading block a few weeks ago. Barring a deal, it's unlikely he'll be talking with team officials before the Winter Meetings, when trade discussions are expected to reach a fever pitch. The Cubs are expected to make a push for the Chicago native at the Meetings, while the Yankees and Angels have also been linked to Granderson interest in reports.

While Granderson is one of a few Tigers linked to the trade market, his situation is particularly telling. What happens with him, and what kind of return package Detroit receives if he is dealt, will say plenty about the team's situation heading into 2010 and beyond.

While his baseball fate possibly unfolds in Indianapolis, Granderson will have other things going on, such as preparing for next season, wherever he ends up for 2010. At this point, there isn't much he can do. He's under contract for at least three more seasons -- with a team option for a fourth -- and like most players at this stage of his career, he does not have a no-trade clause.

Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

PostSubject: Re: CURTIS GRANDERSON Career Tracker   CURTIS GRANDERSON Career Tracker Icon_minitimeThu Dec 10, 2009 9:42 pm

Granderson deal Yanks' splash in Indy
Center fielder acquired for Austin Jackson and Coke

By Bryan Hoch / MLB.com

12/09/09 10:30 PM EST

INDIANAPOLIS -- The Yankees did not come to the Winter Meetings expecting to shake up the news cycle in front of the national baseball audience, but by Wednesday, they had certainly done that by officially acquiring All-Star center fielder Curtis Granderson in a seven-player trade involving the Tigers and D-backs.

With the biggest move of the week now complete, the Yankees can begin to pencil in lineups that include Granderson, immediately installed as the club's everyday center fielder and featuring a powerful left-handed stroke that will soon take aim at Yankee Stadium's short right-field porch.

"I'm not going to be the standout guy," Granderson said. "I'm not going to be the guy that you're constantly worried about. But if you don't keep an eye on me, hopefully, I can go and sneak in and do some positive things for our team."

The Yankees had to give up something to get the affable 28-year-old, and that meant that general manager Brian Cashman had to send outfield prospect Austin Jackson and left-hander Phil Coke to Detroit while also shipping right-hander Ian Kennedy to Arizona.

In the other pieces of the deal, the D-backs acquired right-hander Edwin Jackson from the Tigers, and Detroit obtained right-hander Max Scherzer and left-hander Daniel Schlereth from Arizona.

Granderson hit .249 with 30 home runs, 71 RBIs and 20 stolen bases in 160 games for the Tigers in 2009, and the All-Star said that his versatility and willingness to hit anywhere in the lineup could help him adapt to whatever role the Yankees have in mind.

"We're excited about what he brings to the table -- his athleticism, his youth, his power and how it all relates to where we play," Cashman said. "His personality, how people gravitate to him -- they're all plusses."

Over the past five seasons, Granderson ranks third in the Majors with 56 triples, but it is his power that the Yankees might find most appealing. Granderson saw how the ball carries out of the new Stadium, and though he won't go up looking to pepper the seats, more dingers could be in his future.

"I've never been a guy who's gone up there trying to hit home runs," Granderson said. "I think it's one of those things that has evolved over my career, and hopefully, the same will hold true at Yankee Stadium -- going up and trying to drive the baseball, and if it gets out, it gets out."

New York's interest in Granderson was hatched in November, though the permutations of the deal have evolved. Originally, the Yankees balked at including Joba Chamberlain or Phil Hughes in the package, and left-handed reliever Michael Dunn was successfully yanked from discussions as well.

The Tigers may have needed to shed Granderson's contract, but Cashman said he felt it was a "good contract" for New York's budget. Granderson is scheduled to receive $5.5 million next season, $8.25 million in 2011 and $10 million in '12, with a club option for '13.

But the price in terms of prospects is still difficult for Cashman to swallow, and the veteran GM said he wrestled with the projections of what Jackson, Coke and Kennedy could eventually become at the Major League level.

"We're excited about what we're getting, and we're distraught about what we gave up at the same time," Cashman said "It's not like I'm doing handstands. It's a tough decision. You're trading the future for here and now."

Granderson said he is excited about the change and has a good idea of what sort of frenzy awaits him once he finally puts the pinstripes on.

Walking through a crowded Manhattan sidewalk with former teammate Marcus Thames, Granderson once saw the former Yankee recognized by a police officer, who not only pointed at the outfielder but recalled that he slugged a home run in his first big league at-bat, which came against Randy Johnson back at the original Yankee Stadium.

"It just amazed me," Granderson said. "This guy picked him out, not in uniform, and remembered that bit about him. That part is going to be probably the most interesting. People know it, they study it."

True to form, New York fans are already curious about one issue that hitting coach Kevin Long will tackle: Granderson's unimpressive splits against left-handed pitchers, who largely neutralized the dynamic outfielder this past season. Granderson hit all but two of his home runs off right-handers, batting just .183 in 180 at-bats against southpaws.

If the season started Thursday, the Yankees would address the problem by having Granderson bat second against right-handed pitchers and lower in the order against left-handers. Cashman said that the scouting video doesn't show any obvious fixes, calling it "more of a head-scratcher."

"When it comes down to actual mechanical and mental changes that we have to make in the game, that's going to come over time, I think," Granderson said. "Having the chance to be around hitters that have proven to be consistent like [Derek] Jeter, [Mark] Teixeira, [Alex Rodriguez] ... hopefully, I can learn a lot."

The Yankees are also aware of an issue that popped up in September, when Granderson took some odd routes to fly balls. New York had three scouts pinned to Detroit, a potential playoff opponent, and said that the scouts are pleased with Granderson's defensive metrics and still happy with the deal.

With Granderson in center field, the Yankees can opt to shift Melky Cabrera to left field, with Nick Swisher set to return to right field. New York could also pursue either Johnny Damon or Hideki Matsui, though a return engagement for either player would be on the franchise's financial terms.

Cashman's trip to Indianapolis has been fulfilling, as the GM now believes he is closer to putting the finishing touches on his 2010 roster.

Also on Wednesday, the Yankees announced a new one-year, $11.75 million contract for left-hander Andy Pettitte, and on Monday, the Yankees traded right-handed reliever Brian Bruney to the Nationals in exchange for Washington's first-round selection in Thursday's Rule 5 Draft.

There is one additional item to figure out. Granderson wore No. 28 with the Tigers, the digits manager Joe Girardi is interested in wearing to represent the franchise's pursuit of a 28th World Series championship.

Showing an early grasp of Yankees history, Granderson said with a laugh that he also knew he couldn't switch to No. 2 (Jeter) or No. 8 (retired for Bill Dickey and Yogi Berra).

"It'll be interesting," Granderson said. "Of course, [Girardi's] the man. He's the one that makes everything go. He's going to definitely have first dibs on it, and if he chooses to take it, I've played in other numbers before. It's just a number on the back. Whatever you do on the field hopefully will stand out more."

Bryan Hoch is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

PostSubject: Re: CURTIS GRANDERSON Career Tracker   CURTIS GRANDERSON Career Tracker Icon_minitimeThu Dec 10, 2009 9:51 pm

Posted: Dec. 10, 2009
Leaving Detroit is 'tough' for Curtis Granderson
He says he had fun, praises Tigers fans

BY JOHN LOWE
FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

INDIANAPOLIS -- Poised and polite. The words capture Curtis Granderson's conduct throughout six seasons as a Tiger.

They also describe Granderson on Wednesday night in his first interview after the Tigers traded him to the team of "Jeter, Teixeira, A-Rod, Robinson Cano" -- as he rattled off some of his Yankees teammates.

Asked to give a message to Tigers fans, Granderson said: "It's been a great relationship. I'm glad I got to start my career there. I had a lot of fun, learning a lot about Detroit. The fans are very loyal and diehard. If you play hard, they respect you."

Leaving all that, he said, "is going to be tough."

He said it will be difficult to leave his educational efforts in Detroit. But he found a positive: "One of our goals was to (go) nationwide, and what better market to do that in than New York?"

Two winters ago, Granderson signed a five-year contract, $30-million contract. That deal seemed to promise security with the Tigers. Instead, it caused him to be traded, because the Tigers felt they had to reduce payroll.

"You put yourself in a situation to make stability for your career," Granderson, 28, said of his contract. "But at certain times you've got to make moves. The good thing is that no matter where I go, I still get to play. That's the good thing about the contract."

NOTEBOOK: Manager Jim Leyland said Granderson's exit makes the Tigers "a little lopsided right-handed" in the batting order and leaves him without any idea who the team's leadoff hitter will be. That would explain why the Tigers have talked to the Dodgers about a trade for Juan Pierre, who like Granderson is a left-handed-hitting outfielder who can lead off. Were the Tigers to acquire Pierre, they'd apparently either have to trade Carlos Guillen for him or move Guillen to DH (not his favorite spot) so Pierre could play left. That all presumes that newcomer Austin Jackson wins the Tigers' centerfield job. ...

For the second straight year and third time in his career, Edwin Jackson goes to a new team in a trade. "It's not tough," Jackson, 26, told the Arizona Republic. "I've always been one of those guys (that) as long as a team wants me, it's never a bad thing. When a team doesn't want me, then we'd have a problem. I understand it's a business and that teams have to make adjustments." ...

Granderson's number as a Tiger was 28, and manager Joe Girardi intends to switch from No. 27 to No. 28 -- signifying the Yankees' quest for a 28th World Series title. Growing up, Granderson also wore Nos. 2 and 8. "Those numbers aren't options either," Granderson said, knowing the first belongs to Derek Jeter and the latter retired for Yogi Berra and Bill Dickey.
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

PostSubject: Re: CURTIS GRANDERSON Career Tracker   CURTIS GRANDERSON Career Tracker Icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2009 7:27 am

CURTIS GRANDERSON Career Tracker Mlbf_7145595_th_13

Yanks introduce Granderson to big stage
Club welcomes outfielder in news conference at Stadium

By Bryan Hoch / MLB.com

12/17/09 2:42 PM EST

NEW YORK -- It didn't take Curtis Granderson long to realize how much more intense things might be at his new place of business. One glance at his overflowing cell phone was enough to prove that point.

It is a career change that Granderson and the Yankees both hope will work out in a big way. The newest acquisition was formally introduced on Thursday at Yankee Stadium, donning the pinstripes just a few hundred feet from where he will soon patrol center field.

"I'm excited to get a chance to be here with the defending world champions," Granderson said. "Hopefully we can look to repeat and add titles throughout the course of my career and be in the great city of New York."

Joined by teammates CC Sabathia and Alex Rodriguez, Granderson donned his new cap and jersey for the flickering cameras, while his new organization gushed about the quality athlete and man they had acquired.

"I'm excited. He's just a great young man," said Yankees managing general partner Hal Steinbrenner. "Obviously we all know about his ability, but it's his character that I'm equally excited about. He's going to be a great, great fit in our clubhouse."

The left-handed-hitting Granderson belted 30 home runs last season with the Tigers, and after being acquired last week in a three-team, seven-player deal, New York is confident that his stroke will play well within Yankee Stadium's cozy dimensions.

"It doesn't look as small as everyone says it is," Granderson said. "The numbers speak for themselves. Guys have had great years here. To get a chance to be here 81 days out of the year and hopefully into the postseason, the main thing is to do what I've done.

"I've never been a guy who considers myself a home run hitter. I can't go up there and just try to hit a home run -- I don't have that ability like, say, Alex Rodriguez."

Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said that the team has admired Granderson since 2006, when his Tigers ousted New York from the American League Division Series. Just as important in making the move was Granderson's personality, which should mesh well in the dugout.

"Obviously we're very excited about what Curtis brings to our club," manager Joe Girardi said. "Athleticism is something that I love, and that's what we're getting. He has outstanding character and I know he will be a leader on and off the field."

Granderson hit .249 with 71 RBIs and 20 stolen bases as an All-Star for the Tigers last season, and said that he was not concerned with trade rumors until he started getting text messages en masse on the morning of Nov. 8.

Turning on the television to check out reports, he learned that the Yankees were close to acquiring his services for three players -- outfielder Austin Jackson and pitchers Phil Coke and Ian Kennedy.

"It was amazing, the number of text messages that can go in a matter of seconds," Granderson said. "I'm glad I got an unlimited plan."

Granderson said that the thought of joining the Yankees' storied tradition appeals to him, and the name of Bernie Williams came up often during a dinner conversation in New York on Wednesday -- an ideal mix of success and performance that Granderson would do well to equal.

"To get a chance to say, 'Hey, I play for the Yankees,' fans all over the world know that," Granderson said. "There's no question of, 'What city is that?' They know the Yankees. I never knew this day would come, but I'm very excited about it."

One caveat the Yankees had in making the trade were Granderson's splits against left-handed pitching. He batted just .183 with two homers in 180 at-bats against southpaws in 2009, and former AL Central rival Sabathia has an idea why.

"I think earlier in his career, when he first came up, he was driving balls to left field, and I think he was tougher on lefties then," Sabathia said. "He was hitting the ball in the gap in left-center.

"Then he started hitting a few home runs and got a little pull-happy. I think that's why lefties were able to stay away from him and throw slower stuff and have success against him."

To help fix the situation, Granderson said that he'd like to talk to Sabathia about the way he was pitched -- two-seamers in and plenty of outs away, Sabathia said -- and also check with Robinson Cano, who has hit lefties well in his career.

But the most important advice will come from hitting coach Kevin Long, with whom Granderson spoke on Monday and is planning to see after he completes working out with outfielder Nick Swisher.

"I think the biggest factor for us is the Kevin Long factor," Rodriguez said. "Any player you bring into our lineup has an opportunity to improve by 10 or 15 percent over what he did in a previous ballpark by coming here with our lineup, the way we talk hitting and our philosophies."

If the season were to begin today, Granderson would be New York's No. 2 hitter against right-handed pitchers and likely slot lower against lefties, a decision that is subject to change. But there is no doubt that the Yankees believe he will be an impact player in New York.

"Anytime you can add a guy like that to the lineup that we have, it's exciting," Sabathia said. "He plays a great centerfield and in this ballpark, he'll probably hit 50 home runs. We'll see."

Granderson selected to take an old high school uniform No. 14, instead of his customary No. 28. That clears the way for Girardi to take hold of the digits representing the club's quest for a 28th World Series title.

"I've never been tied down or superstitious to the number, so I said, 'Let's go with it,'" Granderson said. "Worst-case scenario, if we win, I can get the number next year."

Bryan Hoch is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: CURTIS GRANDERSON Career Tracker   CURTIS GRANDERSON Career Tracker Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

CURTIS GRANDERSON Career Tracker
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next