Always A Tiger
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
Always A Tiger
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
Always A Tiger
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Always A Tiger

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to learn and talk about their Favorite Baseball Team, as well as just enjoy one another's company.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Ryan Perry TRACKER

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

Aries Location : Ohio

Ryan Perry TRACKER Empty
PostSubject: Ryan Perry TRACKER   Ryan Perry TRACKER Icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2009 11:39 pm

Big league debut a thrill for Perry
Reliever retires Blue Jays in order Wednesday

By Jason Beck / MLB.com

04/09/09 2:03 PM ET

TORONTO -- How many deep breaths did Ryan Perry need to calm down Wednesday night?

"A lot," Perry said. "I can't even count."

They didn't really help that much. Getting three outs helped more.

As it turned out, Perry knew going into the game that it would be his Major League debut. Toronto's game-winning rally in the ninth inning Tuesday kept Perry from pitching the 10th as planned.

With Perry and Fernando Rodney as the only relievers who didn't pitch in the first two games, manager Jim Leyland didn't want them going another day without throwing. Thus, regardless of the score, Leyland wanted Perry and Rodney pitching Wednesday.

Once Bobby Seay retired the side in order in the seventh, Perry was set for the eighth. But knowing ahead of time wasn't much for a calming influence.

Asked when the adrenaline started racing, Perry said, "Once the phone rang, once I got on the mound in the bullpen."

His warmup tosses showed it. He sailed one over bullpen catcher Scott Pickens, Leyland said. Once he got onto the mound, he wasn't quite that wild, but he was still battling himself as much as the hitter.

He never totally settled down, but he settled in. He went full on leadoff man Aaron Hill, unable to get him to go after two-strike sliders, before Hill grounded out to third. He went to a 3-0 count on Alex Rios before overpowering the slugger on three fastballs, the last of them off the outside corner as Rios went down swinging for Perry's first big league strikeout.

"Awesome," Perry said, "especially getting a good hitter like that."

After Perry missed on two balls inside to Vernon Wells, he induced Wells to swing at one high around the inside corner.

Finally, Perry allowed himself to relax.

"That was awesome," he said. "That was kind of when the adrenaline started to die down. I knew I had gotten my first appearance out of the way. I'm glad it happened like that."

That was the key phrase that Perry kept using -- getting it out of the way. He said much the same thing about his first Spring Training appearance back in late February. His heart rate was going so high during that appearance that he was actually a bit startled. Each successive appearance made him calmer and calmer -- or more importantly, each successful out.

Leyland figures the same will happen going forward. Perry expects it, too. For someone who thrives on adrenaline, he'll never be completely calm.

"It'll still be nerve-wracking -- one inning isn't going to stop the adrenaline," he said. "It'll take quite a few more times. But it definitely helps. It's a start. I know the more I get out there, the more I'll settle down, and it'll be a lot easier. I'm looking forward to that."

Jason Beck is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Last edited by TigersForever on Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:55 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
https://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

Ryan Perry TRACKER Empty
PostSubject: Q&A with Detroit's Ryan Perry   Ryan Perry TRACKER Icon_minitimeWed Apr 29, 2009 4:16 pm

Ryan Perry TRACKER RgHG6Es3

The Tigers selected Ryan Perry out of the University of Arizona with
the 21st overall pick in the 2008 First-Year Player Draft. (AP)

04/27/2009 4:29 PM ET
Q&A with Detroit's Ryan Perry
Recently drafted reliever working on mound nerves
By Jeff Moeller / MLBPLAYERS.com

Ryan Perry, the 21st overall pick in the 2008 Draft, earned his way onto the Tigers roster with less than a year of professional experience by posting an 0.84 ERA with 11 strikeouts in 10 2/3 innings in Spring Training. So far, he's been unfazed by Major League competition. His size (6-foot-4, 200 pounds) combined with a fastball that reaches 98 mph have Tiger fans wondering if he might become a closer sometime in the future. But at 22, the former University of Arizona star is content to be called on at crunch time in big league games. He recently answered some questions from MLBPLAYERS.com:

MLBPLAYERS.com:
How would you describe your big league experience so far?

Perry: It has been pretty cool, especially since I wasn't drafted that long ago. It definitely is a thrill to be playing with guys I watched on TV growing up. I admired these guys, and to play with them now is unbelievable.

MLBPLAYERS.com:
After you finished your brief Minor League season last year, how did you get ready for Spring Training?

Perry: I took the next couple of months off and then started throwing again in early January. That helped prepare me for the spring and for coming into a big league camp for the first time. At first, it was sort of intimidating, but the guys treated me really well. It was easy to fit in here and not be starstruck or anything.

MLBPLAYERS.com: When you signed your contract, did you envision being here so quickly?

Perry: Not at all. I knew there was a slim chance going in, but I knew I would have to pitch really well. I came in and did throw pretty well, however. I'm happy with how everything turned out, but going back to the day I signed the contract, I never really thought it would take me to where I'm at today.

MLBPLAYERS.com:
Another Tigers pitcher, Rick Porcello, is in the same situation as you -- he too was recently drafted and made the big club for the first time this year. How much does that help you?

Perry: We're going through everything together. We're pretty good friends, and it gives me someone to hang out with on a regular basis. We're still both so new to this. We try to help each other out.

MLBPLAYERS.com: Can you talk about how you and Rick were told that you had made this team coming out of Spring Training?

Perry: We walked into the office, and our manager and our general manager started asking us some questions. Then they said we were young and that we were going down to get more experience under our belts. It was quiet for a good five seconds, and then the silence was broken by them asking if we knew that it was April Fools' Day.

MLBPLAYERS.com: What was going through your mind when they asked you that?

Perry: We were sort of just asking, 'Um, what does that mean?' They then extended their hands to congratulate us. It was a pretty cool little joke.

MLBPLAYERS.com:
You have pitched well so far at this level. How do you think you are throwing the ball?

Perry: I've thrown well. I've had problems finding the strike zone on a regular basis, though. Overall, I've gotten the pitches there when it really counts, so that's the most important thing.

MLBPLAYERS.com: Do you think that lack of command is a result of nerves?

Perry: I do feel good in the bullpen, but when you get out there in front of 40,000 people, the adrenaline starts to kick in, and your breathing gets heavier. It's something you have to expect coming in here.

MLBPLAYERS.com: What was the largest crowd you had pitched in front of before?

Perry: 10,000 people. It is a huge difference, and you have to get used to it. I am still working on getting past the rush of adrenaline.

MLBPLAYERS.com: Is that adrenaline a reason you've thrown a couple of your warmup pitches to the backstop?

Perry:
Yeah, and the baseballs. Sometimes I have a hard time gripping the ball if they're not rubbed up real well. I noticed that in Detroit against the White Sox. I did not have a good feel for the ball. I was throwing balls every which way. It's a combination of that and the adrenaline.

Jeff Moeller is a freelance writer based in Los Angeles.
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

Ryan Perry TRACKER Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ryan Perry TRACKER   Ryan Perry TRACKER Icon_minitimeWed Apr 29, 2009 11:46 pm

Ryan Perry TRACKER KOlg7cYT

Tigers take patient route with Perry
Leyland understands there will be ups, downs with righty

By Jason Beck / MLB.com

04/29/09 8:13 PM ET

DETROIT -- The Tigers put Ryan Perry on their Opening Day roster knowing he would have days like Tuesday. They also took him with the willingness to work through them.

"I've got patience with talent," said manager Jim Leyland after his rookie reliever walked two batters along with a hit and a sacrifice bunt to take the loss in the Tigers' 11-0 rout to the Yankees.

For all the attention given to the 22-year-old right-hander and his power arsenal, it's easy to forget the learning gap he faces from a short stint in Class A ball to the Majors. Leyland and team officials took Perry with them out of Spring Training with the expectation that he would have challenges, but that he could also learn and work through them at the highest level.

That's the process he's going through now. Outings like Tuesday, Leyland said, are part of it.

Much like Joel Zumaya during his rookie season of 2006, Leyland took Perry to pitch him in some big situations rather than hide him for mop-up duty. Considering he has three holds through 20 games this season, he already has pitched in his share of tight games. His wildest outings arguably came in two games that were blowouts before he entered, walking two Rangers in a 15-2 win on April 10 before nearly hitting White Sox batters four times in a 9-0 win on April 15.

Tuesday was obviously a huge situation, and his command woes resurfaced. He threw just eight of his 18 pitches for strikes, though he realistically wasn't wild, and both of the Yankees he walked came around to score. Once Josh Anderson's fielding error brought in two runs, Perry was on the hook for his first Major League loss.

After Nick Swisher's leadoff single and two pitches into Melky Cabrera's walk, Leyland came out to the mound for what was a very brief mound visit. In no more than a few seconds, Leyland had made his point and headed back to the dugout, but it wasn't the kind of message many would expect.

"I just told him, 'Don't worry about it. Don't let up. Go right at them,'" Leyland said.

In other words, don't back down. It was similar to the message Leyland gave Perry on his way back into the dugout after his White Sox outing, when the righty and Josh Fields exchanged words following a high and inside fastball.

"I'm not going to get all up in a bind over one outing," Leyland said. "We knew coming in here that there's going to be times that you saw [Tuesday night]. That happens. But that's OK. There's a learning curve now and then.

"I'm certainly not going to give up on Perry after one outing like that. That's nasty stuff. He can mishit the bat a lot, but obviously, he has to throw strikes."

The plan is to get past the curve, not just with Perry but with starter Rick Porcello, and to let them learn from those struggles in the Majors.

"They're a little green yet," Leyland said of Perry and Porcello. "That's the way it is. But there's a lot of talent between those two guys. I've always said I'll take talent. If it gets to point where it looks like they can't do it, then we'll address that later on, but I think they can."

Jason Beck is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
RememberTheBird
Toledo Mud Hens (AAA)
Toledo Mud Hens (AAA)
RememberTheBird

Ryan Perry TRACKER Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ryan Perry TRACKER   Ryan Perry TRACKER Icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2009 11:35 am

Perry gonna be great once he gets used to the bigs!
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

Ryan Perry TRACKER Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ryan Perry TRACKER   Ryan Perry TRACKER Icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2009 9:53 am

Tigers to use Perry in long relief
Leyland works on slowly breaking in young reliever

By Jason Beck / MLB.com

05/13/09 7:38 PM ET

MINNEAPOLIS -- Jim Leyland is going to keep his promise on Ryan Perry.

When Leyland and the Tigers staff decided to put Perry in the Detroit bullpen on Opening Day, less than a year out of college, Leyland told team president/general manager Dave Dombrowski he'd give the hard-throwing reliever enough work to learn up here. The deeper Tigers starters have pitched lately, and the better Detroit's veteran relievers have performed, the tougher it has been for Leyland to find him time.

Tuesday's two innings, it seems, were a sign of what's to come.

"I was really pleased with that," Leyland said Wednesday. "And I was really happy I can get him that work. Because if I can't get him that work, I've got to get him out of here. I promised Dave when I took him that I'd get him enough work, and if I can't get him enough work, I'd be the first one to tell you to get him out of here and let him pitch. But I think I can get him work."

It's more than simply work. It's basically on-the-job training for someone who had just 14 1/3 innings of Minor League ball last year after the Tigers selected him with their first-round pick in last summer's Draft.

His first five outings were all short eighth-inning appearances, including a couple close games. He earned holds in three of his first eight games, then faced the Yankees in the seventh inning of a scoreless game April 28 before New York's 11-run rally earned him the loss. He walked three more Yankees in a scoreless inning the next night.

That's when Perry's situations and usage seemed to take a turn, though a big reason was the dearth of relief innings thanks to the success of Detroit's starters. Tuesday's outing was his first in five days, so he had a little extra energy to go a season-high 42 pitches.

That 40-pitch mark is one Leyland would like to hit with his outings every few days.

"That's the old school [way of] breaking guys in," Leyland said. "That's what they used to do in the old days a little bit, to take some opportunity to give a guy a chance to get out there and get his feet wet on a more consistent basis and get some innings under his belt at the Major League level. I think we can do that with him, and if we can't, we should send him out. And I don't see any reason to send him out."

That works for Perry, who sees the benefit in stretching out his arm and releasing some of the adrenaline that had left him jumpy in some of his earlier outings.

"Once you go out there and you come back in the dugout and sit down for a half-inning, the adrenaline kind of flows out of you," Perry said. "At that point, you're definitely more relaxed when you go out there. So it'll give me an opportunity to get out there and work on pitches for a couple innings instead of just getting one-inning stints at a time."

Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

Ryan Perry TRACKER Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ryan Perry TRACKER   Ryan Perry TRACKER Icon_minitimeThu Jun 04, 2009 12:03 am

Perry feeling more relaxed on the hill
Tigers righty has appeared to put control issues behind him

By Jason Beck / MLB.com

06/03/09 8:37 PM ET

DETROIT -- The early-season nerves seem to be calming for young Ryan Perry. That doesn't necessarily mean his control battles are all behind him, as Tuesday showed.

After early struggles with walks, including his three-walk inning against the Yankees on April 29 at Comerica Park, Perry had settled down in May, with six free passes over 12 2/3 innings and a 60-percent strike average. His first outing of June on Tuesday, however, saw his first multi-walk outing since May 15, totaling three passes that, along with a single, loaded the bases and walked in a Red Sox insurance run. His fastball began to sail on him.

It was an odd twist for Perry, whose adrenaline was racing in his earlier outings before he finally settled in.

"I honestly felt probably the most relaxed I've been coming into a game since I don't know when," Perry said Tuesday night. "I walked the first two hitters in a row and just kind of started struggling."

He thinks the struggles might have come from the nerves -- not from extra energy, but too much extra analysis in his head, thinking too much about what he's doing wrong at any point.

"Definitely from the first couple weeks, my walks have been down until [Tuesday]," Perry said. "I think I spend sometimes too much time worrying about what I'm doing wrong, and then it just kind of builds up in my head. Right now, I'm going to try a different approach."

It usually takes time for a pitcher to learn how to not only sense his mechanics on the mound, but also correct them in the middle of a game if need be. Perry is 22 years old and has yet to have a full professional season.

Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

Ryan Perry TRACKER Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ryan Perry TRACKER   Ryan Perry TRACKER Icon_minitimeSat Jul 18, 2009 5:17 pm

Date___________Transaction
07/18/09Detroit Tigers placed RHP Joel Zumaya on the 15-Day disabled list. Right shoulder soreness.
07/18/09Detroit Tigers recalled Ryan Perry from Toledo Mud Hens.
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

Ryan Perry TRACKER Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ryan Perry TRACKER   Ryan Perry TRACKER Icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2009 12:10 am

Perry proving an asset in latest stay
With improved slider, rookie giving Tigers a 'pen option

By Jason Beck / MLB.com

07/26/09 9:25 PM ET

DETROIT -- In an ideal world, Tigers manager Jim Leyland said, he'd be able to use Ryan Perry in spots where he can stretch out, learn to mix his pitches and continue his maturation.

"In a perfect world, yeah, we'd like to extend him some, to get some innings under his belt at the Major League level," Leyland said. "But you can't always do that."

The Tigers' bullpen situation is far from perfect. So far, however, Perry has been pretty close to it since coming back up from Triple-A Toledo. With 4 2/3 innings of one-hit scoreless ball over two outings, Perry not only has lowered his season ERA from 4.28 to 3.66 entering Sunday, he has kept the Tigers close in two games on their homestand.

With the Tigers bullpen shorthanded while Joel Zumaya is on the disabled list, Perry is proving to be a nice option outside of setup situations, saving Brandon Lyon and Bobby Seay for protecting leads. In both of Perry's performances, he entered with a one-run deficit and kept it there. By shutting down the White Sox in the eighth and ninth innings Saturday, he allowed Curtis Granderson's ninth-inning RBI to tie the game.

For someone whom Leyland admitted the Tigers would've liked to have had more work at Triple-A Toledo before returning, it's encouraging.

"I thought he was much more under control," Leyland said after Perry retired all eight batters he faced Thursday. "I thought he threw some very good sliders, [he was] much more consistent than I saw before. So I think the work down there has done him some good."

Perry went 1-0 with a 2.63 ERA in eight outings with the Mud Hens, allowing four runs on 13 hits over 13 2/3 innings, with four walks and 12 strikeouts. He was on a roll before the All-Star break, striking out seven of nine batters faced over two outings in early July, then gave up three earned runs on seven hits over 3 2/3 innings in his two outings after the break.

Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

Ryan Perry TRACKER Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ryan Perry TRACKER   Ryan Perry TRACKER Icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2009 12:33 am

Flexible Perry settles into role
Right-handed reliever ready for duty when called

By Mike Scott / Special to MLB.com

08/04/09 6:30 PM ET

DETROIT -- Ryan Perry doesn't know exactly what his role will be out of the Detroit bullpen on a nightly basis.

After all, it doesn't really matter.

Perry has had both ups and downs during his rookie season with the Tigers, but the highs appear to be outweighing the lows. Entering Tuesday night's game against Baltimore, Perry has a 3.63 ERA with 32 strikeouts in 34 2/3 innings in the Majors. He has pitched a significant amount of time in both Detroit and Triple-A Toledo.

And if there is one area where Perry is confident he has improved, it is with his control. If that continues, Perry's improvement could be a huge lift to the Tigers bullpen, given that he has issued 22 walks on the year. It was the main thing he had worked on for several weeks at Toledo before being recalled to Detroit in late July. While in Toledo, Perry compiled three saves with 13 strikeouts in 13 2/3 innings and a 2.63 ERA.

"When I was down in Toledo, I really just tried to throw strikes," Perry said. "I didn't try to overpower everyone. I had my times [when he tried to record strikeouts] but when I needed to I tried to ease back a little."

Throwing fastballs for strikes is particularly important, Perry indicated. That allows him to set up his slider and put himself in a position to keep runners off base with a fastball that regularly reaches the high-90s. It doesn't matter if he is facing a lineup full of aggressive hitting rookies or patient veterans -- that game plan usually works for him.

"I want to come at hitters with both my fastball and slider and be able to locate it where I want," Perry said. "That's nothing different than what I have been doing throughout this year."

For now, Perry isn't concerned with the possibility of shuttling back and forth between Detroit and Toledo. Manager Jim Leyland said Tuesday that the Tigers plan to maintain flexibility with their roster moves for the remainder of this season, so there may be more than a few players who take that trek up and down I-75 until the Minor League season ends in September. Regardless, the fire-balling righty knows he has to perform on the field and worry about tomorrow when that day arrives.

With the July 31 Trade Deadline in the past, Perry at least knows which organization he will be with the last two months of the season.

"I don't let that bother me at all," Perry said of the possibility he could be back in Toledo at some point in August. "It happens a lot to younger players and it's been happening the whole year with me. You can't let [that possibility] get in your head and affect how you perform. If that happens there is a better chance you may get sent down because your performances haven't been good."

There is the chance that Perry's performances could come in more critical roles as the season winds down, especially with the loss of flame-throwing reliever Joel Zumaya. His power arm is a highly valued commodity in any bullpen.

"I don't know what my role will be frankly from game to game. It's up in the air. I'm just going to go out and do my job."

Mike Scott is a contributor to MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

Ryan Perry TRACKER Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ryan Perry TRACKER   Ryan Perry TRACKER Icon_minitimeSun Aug 30, 2009 5:49 pm

Perry pitching in more meaningful innings
Young right-hander likely to be a bullpen key for Tigers

By Jason Beck / MLB.com

08/30/09 2:25 PM ET

DETROIT -- If Tigers rookie right-hander Ryan Perry has a late-inning role in his future, then his present role is going to be a nice tuneup.

Largely lost in the resurgence of setup man Brandon Lyon and the continued statistical efficiency of closer Fernando Rodney is the versatile work of Perry, who has progressed from being set aside for select situations earlier this summer to working about as many close games as someone not in a setup role can expect.

Perry's past six games have been either two-run contests or closer when he has entered, including his two scoreless innings in Saturday's 3-1 loss to the Rays. Five of those outings have come in the seventh inning or later. Three of those games, Perry entered with a runner already in scoring position.

Perry has allowed three earned runs over 8 2/3 innings in that stretch, with five walks and 11 strikeouts. Since returning to the Tigers in July, he owns a 2.66 ERA with six earned runs on 17 hits over 20 1/3 innings, including eight walks and 22 strikeouts.

It's adding up to quite an induction for Perry in his first full professional season at any level.

"I definitely like that," said Perry, who had a similar late-inning role at the University of Arizona the previous couple years. "I like the feeling of wanting to go in there and blow those guys away."

He's getting a little more of that power arsenal involved. He hit 97 mph to strike out All-Star Evan Longoria leading off a scoreless eighth inning Saturday.

Those are situations manager Jim Leyland likes to use to get Perry acclimated to late-inning work. If Perry can hone his pitching in situation that keep the Tigers close enough to rally late, it isn't a big leap to progress to protecting leads.

"The more innings he gets, the better off he's going to be," Leyland said.

Given the Tigers' uncertain bullpen situation for next year, it isn't hard to see Perry making that jump next year. Both Rodney and Lyon are free agents, while Joel Zumaya will be coming off surgery to clean up a stress fracture in his throwing shoulder.

Leyland said Sunday he can envision Perry as a potential setup man next year, with the possibility of closing later in his career as he matures.

Before that, however, he could have a very big role should the Tigers make the postseason. If it happens, his experience for the past few months could be vital.

"In the playoffs, you definitely want to have those types of situations under your belt," Perry said, "especially when the games mean a lot more."

Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

Ryan Perry TRACKER Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ryan Perry TRACKER   Ryan Perry TRACKER Icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 11:34 pm

Perry's rise puts him in line for coveted spot
Tigers considering right-hander to be Valverde's setup man

By Jason Beck / MLB.com

03/12/10 5:41 PM EST

LAKELAND, Fla. -- Ryan Perry has been working on a tattoo on his gifted right arm since his days at the University of Arizona. It's a collection of different designs and interests in his life. Every time he returns home, Perry has a little more work done and adds a little more to it. It's just about finished, he said, but there's still some room to add.

The pitches in that gifted right arm are progressing a lot quicker than the ink on it.

Much like Perry's Spring Training and regular-season roommate, Rick Porcello, Perry has blossomed from a talented but untested young hurler to a key cog on the Tigers' staff. A year after he was a surprise pick to make the bullpen at the end of camp, Perry has the chance to grab one of the most coveted jobs, a setup role behind one of the top closers in the game.

It's a huge jump, but it's a testament to how different Perry really looks from one year to the next. Everything about the 23-year-old's game seems to be more polished, from the consistency on his biting slider to the spots where he locates his fastball to the temperament he carries with him on the mound.

"I'm feeling more comfortable than I ever have out there right now," Perry said after his last outing, a perfect inning with two strikeouts against the Nationals on Tuesday.

After yet another scoreless inning, Perry has every reason to feel a comfort zone. He's the lone pitcher left in camp who has yet to allow a hit or a walk in a game, a streak at 3 2/3 innings entering his scheduled appearance on Saturday against the Mets on MLB.TV at 1:05 p.m. ET. He escaped a bases-loaded jam against the Blue Jays in his first outing of the spring with a double play, and has rolled from there.

And with seventh- and eighth-inning duties wide open behind closer Jose Valverde, Perry's performances are raising eyebrows.

"We took a shot last year with him, and there were some growing pains," manager Jim Leyland said. "But I think it's paying dividends this year, because it looks like he got a feel for what it's like up here last year and he knows he's got to make some improvements. Right now, he's on a pretty good mission."

The shot wasn't quite the same as the one the Tigers took with Porcello, but it nonetheless involved a leap of faith. By the time the Tigers broke camp last spring, they had determined he was one of the seven-best relievers in terms of talent, despite the age and the fact that he was drafted just the previous summer. With a number of more proven arms, the Tigers felt they could pick and choose their spots with Perry to give him the best chance to succeed and learn.

"Last year, I came in not even thinking I was going to make the team," Perry said, "but you just want to put that impression in their heads for later on. Just one thing led to another."

Perry battled his command at times and battled his adrenaline frequently, but he battled the opponent, too.

Though opponents hit him for a higher batting average and slugging percentage after the All-Star break, his ERA dropped by nearly a full run. More importantly, his ratio of strikeouts to walks improvement dramatically to better than 2:1.

He went home for the offseason, worked on his game and came to camp a month ahead of time looking to get in early work and improve on some key points. One of those was poise, and it's a dramatic difference in his game. Instead of thriving on a high-energy approach, Perry looks and feels more focused and more consistent in his mechanics.

"I think I'm learning more how to keep my body and everything just centered," he said, "how to keep one focus instead of having 20 different things running through my head. Instead of trying to do this and this, it's just I have one goal."

If he needed any more focus, Leyland helped with a talk early in camp.

"I talked to him earlier in camp about this being a big spring for him to move forward," Leyland said. "He's taken it very well. I'm talking about the ability to be more consistent with your slider, the ability to make the tough pitches, the ability to throw a quality strike as opposed to just a strike. "

Those include the slider, but also his fastball.

"I'm getting to the point where I feel I can actually hit spots instead of just throwing it to the strike zone," Perry said. "I feel like I could split the plate in half and kind of go to halves now. I know I still have some work to do, but I definitely have seen a huge increase from last year. Honestly, I would get the ball and throw for the strike zone."

He's also working on a changeup that he has had since college but rarely ever used. It hasn't become a game pitch yet, but with a little refinement, it could eventually become a third pitch in what's otherwise a power arsenal.

On talent alone, the Tigers thought enough of Perry to consider him a closing candidate before they signed Valverde. They probably won't hesitate to try him in some setup work if they decide he's one of their better relievers for it.

"I'm not letting any of that get to me," Perry said. "I'm just letting my performance in Spring Training dictate what they want to do with me over the course of the season."

Still, he isn't going to hide his enthusiasm for it.

"I definitely love getting the ball," Perry said. "I think of myself as a competitor, and I want to go out and get the ball whenever I can. Definitely, the closer the game, the more intense it becomes. That's kind of where I like to be used, not necessarily where I'm going to be used, but definitely in the near future, that's definitely what I want to work for, to set up or close for sure."

That future might be nearer than previously thought.

Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

Ryan Perry TRACKER Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ryan Perry TRACKER   Ryan Perry TRACKER Icon_minitimeSat Apr 10, 2010 10:51 pm

Ryan Perry TRACKER Perryavila041010-thumb-450x424-1927231

Perry relishes first big league save
BECK'S BLOG
Posted on April 10, 2010 at 6:35 PM

Ryan Perry has always been a pitcher running on adrenaline, no matter what the inning. When he made the Tigers roster out of Spring Training a year ago, he had to learn how to handle that even in lower-pressure outings, let alone spots where he was protecting a lead.

One can imagine, then, how Perry would react to his chance at his first Major League save. The fact that all that energy didn't make him a wreck on the mound should give an idea how much he worked on controlling that adrenaline.

"Perry's always amped up for everything," catcher Alex Avila said. "I knew he was going to be, and he'd be throwing hard. This year, I've seen that every time he comes out, he has a little bit of a different presence on the mound. Where last year he might've been a little bit wild at some points, this year he's always in control.

"Like today, his first save opportunity, most guys would be overthrowing and stuff like that, but he was just letting it fly and he threw fantastic. I mean, his stuff was pretty unhittable today. I wouldn't have wanted to face him, that's for sure."

No many guys had the chance. Though he ended up coming on in the eighth to try to get a four-out save, it was a four-up, four-down outing in which nobody made solid contact off of him.

Perry got the chance because closer Jose Valverde, Joel Zumaya and Phil Coke were all being rested. All of them pitched Friday's home opener. Zumaya and Coke pitched multiple innings. Valverde had pitched in each of the Tigers' first four games, including three straight days, so he had to rest.

That reduced Saturday's available to Perry, Fu-Te Ni, Brad Thomas and Eddie Bonine. Leyland said in the morning that Perry would close if there was a game to save.

"When we took a 2-0 lead, the whole time I was just excited and ready to get out there," Perry said.

Leyland didn't say Perry would close in the eighth, but once Ni struck out Travis Hafner for the second out of the inning, Leyland likely didn't want to chance Ni facing a right-handed hitter after giving up a .298 average to them last year.

Enter Perry, who struck out Peralta on a nasty slider, then had to sit through the bottom of the eighth until the Tigers went down in order. It would've been a perfect time for that energy to overtake him, but all the time, he said he was focused on mechanical points and the opponent.

"Mentally, I was sitting in the dugout trying to visualize it as best as I can," Perry said. "That's kind of been a big thing for me lately. Since probably halfway through spring, I've really been trying to focus, kind of get a visual picture of what I'm trying to do in my head, and then do it."

That doesn't mean he was completely calm.

"Especially coming in in the eighth, my heart's pounding a little," he admitted. "But I think my confidence has just grown since last year, so I'm able to control it, keep my body in position to succeed instead of just sporadically trying to just throw the ball."

Perry used a 97 mph fastball to get a leadoff groundout from Matt Laporta. He had to scramble when Mark Grudzielanek hit a comebacker, but he hurried a throw that first baseman Miguel Cabrera stretched to grab.

That left Perry one out away, and brought the crowd of 35,332 to its feet. That's when the energy really picked up.

"Two outs in the ninth, you just hear the roar of the crowd," he said. "I looked up and you see everybody get up out of their seats. That was kind of a moment that you never really forget."

The extra adrenaline boosted Perry's fastball up to 98 mph on pinch-hitter Luis Valbuena, who fell into an 0-2 hole before meekly popping out in foul territory on the third-base side.

The celebration was a matter of style. Instead of something animated, Perry looked almost relieved, and shook some hands. He also got the game ball, which he stashed in his locker.

"That's one ball I'll definitely keep," he said.

It was his first save, but he's certainly hoping it isn't his last.

"That's definitely what I would like to work towards, for sure," Perry said. "That would definitely be a dream come true. But I know there's still some work involved, so I'm just trying to get there."
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

Ryan Perry TRACKER Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ryan Perry TRACKER   Ryan Perry TRACKER Icon_minitimeSun Apr 11, 2010 6:03 pm

Ryan Perry TRACKER Mlbf_7206845_th_13

Inge recovers Perry's memento
Game ball from reliever's first save takes long journey to locker

By Jason Beck / MLB.com

04/11/10 2:01 PM ET

DETROIT -- Ryan Perry has the game ball from his first Major League save sitting in his locker in the Tigers' clubhouse. But it took quite a journey to get there. The end of Saturday's 4-2 win over the Indians was merely the start of it.

It began when Brandon Inge ran down Luis Valbuena's popup behind the Detroit dugout for the game's final out. As the crowd of more than 35,000 roared and Perry received congratulations, Inge let his momentum continue toward the third-base stands, where he tried to give the ball to a young fan.

Much to Inge's shock, the kid waved him off.

"No, no, I already have one," Inge recalled the boy saying.

The look of surprise on Inge's face could be seen on the telecast before the camera panned away.

"Most impressive kid I've ever seen in my life," Inge said. "That's an honest kid right there."

Inge found another young fan nearby who hadn't gotten a ball yet, and gave it to her. Then he headed back to the middle of the diamond, where the Tigers were still slapping hands --including Perry.

"As I'm high-fiving him," Inge said, "he said, 'Hey, got that ball?'"

That was the first time Inge realized it was Perry's first big league save. Perry had been around for most of last season, so Inge thought he had a save by now.

"Come on," Inge said, "I don't keep up with my own stats."

That was also the moment he realized he'd better scramble if he had any chance of getting that ball back.

Inge went back to where he gave up the ball and found the child. It took some explaining, but he worked out a swap. Inge got the ball back, and the kid received an autographed cracked bat Inge had from Opening Day.

It worked out well in the end, but despite his embarrassment, Inge still had some fun with it. He initially put a sponge ball in Perry's locker with an autograph and the date of the game.

"I'm going to tell Perry, 'This kid didn't even want your ball,'" Inge joked.

Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

Ryan Perry TRACKER Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ryan Perry TRACKER   Ryan Perry TRACKER Icon_minitimeSat Jun 05, 2010 11:34 pm

Perry gets backing from Leyland

By Samuel Zuba / MLB.com

06/05/10 7:45 PM ET

KANSAS CITY -- After giving up two earned runs on three hits in less than an inning of work Friday night, reliever Ryan Perry had a chat with manager Jim Leyland.

"I had a nice talk with him today," Leyland said. "But we have to get him going. I told him, 'You're a big league pitcher and you gotta pitch with that confidence.'"

Perry, who was drafted in the 2008 First-Year Player Draft, has been rather erratic this season for the Tigers. In his last five outings, Perry is 0-2 with a 20.25 ERA (four innings pitched with nine earned runs.)

Leyland said he will give Perry time to get it together, but if he can't, Perry might spend some time in the Minors.

"I'm going to stay with him for awhile," Leyland said. "I think he's a very credible Major League pitcher, [but] if things, at some point, don't get worked out, then you go down [to the Minor Leagues] and work them out."

Leyland added he believes in Perry and he isn't trying to scare him into pitching better.

"There's no secret about it and that's not meant to put any pressure on anybody," Leyland said. "Those are just the facts. He's got to get it going, he's a big part of our ballclub. ... I have confidence in him and I'm going to see if we can't iron out these problems up here."
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

Ryan Perry TRACKER Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ryan Perry TRACKER   Ryan Perry TRACKER Icon_minitimeThu Jun 10, 2010 9:10 am

Perry placed on DL; Gonzalez called up
Reliever suffering from right biceps tendinitis

By Jason Beck / MLB.com

06/10/10 12:24 AM ET

CHICAGO -- The Tigers lost another reliever to the disabled list Wednesday night, placing Ryan Perry on the 15-day DL with right biceps tendinitis. Detroit purchased the contract of right-hander Enrique Gonzalez from Triple-A Toledo to take his place.

The injury is not expected to be a serious one, not by Tigers officials, but it explains a lot about the recent struggles of Perry. The second-year right-hander opened the year setting up closer Jose Valverde, but gave up nine runs on 10 hits in just three innings over his last five outings.

Manager Jim Leyland said he began to suspect some sort of injury was the culprit, but kept hearing from Perry that he was fine. Not until "really recently," Leyland said, did Perry admit to being hurt.

"His control has not been good," Leyland said. "And normally when you see a guy that had real good control early in the season all of a sudden kind of lost that control, there's usually a red flag there. There's usually a message there that something's not quite right."

Perry visited team physician Dr. Stephen Lemos in Detroit for an MRI exam on Monday, according to head athletic trainer Kevin Rand. The results showed a mild impingement around the back of his rotator cuff and some mild tendinitis around his biceps.

Perry tried to throw a bullpen session Wednesday afternoon. Had he come through that OK, he might've been available out of the bullpen Wednesday night.

However, Rand said, "He felt it on a few of his throws."

That's when they made the decision to shelve him and put him on a medication program.

"I don't really think this is anything long or serious, I really don't," Leyland said. "But at the same time, you have a red flag when you see the control."

Leyland does not believe this puts any extra pressure on any particular reliever. He did say earlier Wednesday, however, that he plans on using Joel Zumaya in shorter outings, usually one inning or less, in hopes of having him available more often.

That said, he doesn't expect this to be a long-term loss.

"I don't really think it's anything to fret about, I really don't," Leyland said. "I don't think it's anything serious at all. It's just matter of taking care of it, getting it quieted down, going back out and pitching a little bit, and hopefully coming right back here."

Gonzalez made an impression on the Tigers' staff with a strong Spring Training, but has spent the season in the Mud Hens rotation. His performance there, though, earned him the recommendation from the Minor League staff ahead of others in the Hens' bullpen.

The 27-year-old Gonzalez, signed as a Minor League free agent last winter, owns a 4-5 record and 3.46 ERA in 11 starts, striking out 53 batters over 65 innings while giving up 68 hits. His last four starts, in particular, have been stellar: 27 2/3 innings, 19 hits, six earned runs and 23 strikeouts, including a complete-game shutout of Indianapolis May 23.

"I always use the guy they recommend, so that's the guy we take," Leyland said. "And he has been starting down there, so he should be able to give us some innings."

Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

Ryan Perry TRACKER Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ryan Perry TRACKER   Ryan Perry TRACKER Icon_minitimeSat Jun 19, 2010 11:24 pm

Reliever Perry should be ready next week

By Alex DiFilippo / MLB.com

06/19/10 6:50 PM ET

DETROIT -- Relief pitcher Ryan Perry is on track to return to the Tigers on schedule.

Perry threw pain-free for the second time on Friday and said he's 90 to 95 percent after being put on the 15-day disabled list on June 9 with right bicep tendinitis. He will throw again on Sunday and travel with the team for the nine-game road trip, which kicks off Tuesday against the Mets. He would be eligible to be activated Thursday.

"I really feel like next week," Perry said when asked when he thought he'd return. "I feel great. I haven't felt any flair-ups or anything since it happened. I'm feeling great and I don't feel anything throwing. I have total movement and strength. I'm very confident that I'll be back soon."

Perry will throw for the first time from the mound on Sunday. Prior to the injury, Perry was 1-4 with a 5.82 ERA in 24 appearances. The second-year right-hander looked strong to start the season setting up closer Jose Valverde but gave up nine runs on 10 hits in just three innings over his last five outings before being placed on the DL.

"Hopefully, as long as everything feels good, I might just be put back on the roster from there," Perry said. "It's still up in the air. But overall, everything feels great. I'm looking forward to throwing off the mound finally."
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

Ryan Perry TRACKER Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ryan Perry TRACKER   Ryan Perry TRACKER Icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 1:03 am

Perry looks to start rehab assignment

By Jason Beck / MLB.com

06/22/10 7:42 PM ET

NEW YORK -- Ryan Perry appears to be on the verge of a Minor League rehab assignment after throwing a side session Tuesday afternoon with the Tigers at Citi Field.

It came on the day the young righty reliever would've been eligible to come off the disabled list, after going down with biceps tendinitis two weeks ago. Though both the Tigers and Perry expected it to be a short stint from the outset, there was also an expectation it could take some time in the Minors to get him back to pitching condition.

"We'll see where he stands and decide whether to send him out," manager Jim Leyland said Tuesday. "He had no pain the other day, throwing with full extension, so I assume he'll be going out shortly."

Perry indicated the mound session went well. To be sure, the Tigers will see how his shoulder feels Wednesday.

If Perry rehabs at Triple-A Toledo, he'll be back alongside his Major League roommate, Rick Porcello. He's scheduled to start for the Mud Hens on Thursday.
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

Ryan Perry TRACKER Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ryan Perry TRACKER   Ryan Perry TRACKER Icon_minitimeSat Jun 26, 2010 12:29 am

Perry sent on rehab assignment

By Jason Beck / MLB.com

06/25/10 7:43 PM ET

ATLANTA -- The Tigers sent reliever Ryan Perry to join Triple-A Toledo on the road Friday to begin a Minor League rehab assignment. If all goes well, it could be a quick stint.

Perry, on the 15-day disabled list for the past 2 1/2 weeks with bicipital tendinitis in his right shoulder, was cleared for game action after throwing one more mound session Thursday afternoon. He's scheduled to pitch one inning of relief for the Mud Hens on Saturday night at Indianapolis, then two innings Monday night.

After that, Tigers officials will evaluate him and decide what to do from there.

Both manager Jim Leyland and pitching coach Rick Knapp said there's no big-picture project for Perry while he's on assignment. In other words, he's simply there to build up his arm strength and face opposing hitters, not to work on anything mechanically. That, too, would suggest a short assignment.

Perry had been anticipating a rehab assignment all week.

"I just want to face some hitters," he said Wednesday.

Perry's rehab assignment was one of several moves the Tigers made Friday. They purchased the contract of left-hander Andy Oliver from Double-A Erie in time for his Major League debut Friday night against the Braves, and optioned reliever Jay Sborz back to Toledo to make room.

Detroit created an opening on the 40-man roster for Oliver by transferring Zach Miner from the 15-day to the 60-day disabled list.
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

Ryan Perry TRACKER Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ryan Perry TRACKER   Ryan Perry TRACKER Icon_minitimeWed Jun 30, 2010 9:04 pm

Ni optioned to Toledo
BECK'S BLOG
Posted on June 30, 2010 at 4:49 PM

The much-pondered question of what the Tigers would do with Fu-Te Ni got an answer Wednesday afternoon, when he was optioned to Triple-A Toledo postgame. No return move was immediately announced, but the first candidate you probably thought of isn't the guy. Leyland said Ryan Perry would not be the guy coming up.

"Perry's going to pitch there until he's right," Leyland said, admitting with that he's not down there on rehab simply to show he's healthy.

"There's nothing wrong with Perry's health," Leyland said. "Right now, there's something wrong with his control. He's rusty."
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

Ryan Perry TRACKER Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ryan Perry TRACKER   Ryan Perry TRACKER Icon_minitimeFri Jul 02, 2010 11:15 pm

Perry needs to work on command in rehab
Righty healthy, but trying to gain better control of pitches

By Jason Beck and Alex DiFilippo / MLB.com

07/02/10 8:00 PM ET

DETROIT -- Ryan Perry's stint in Triple-A Toledo is a little less like a rehab assignment and a little more of a rust-shaking assignment. It continued Friday night with a scheduled appearance for the Mud Hens against Gwinnett at Fifth Third place.

Perry was expected to pitch an inning. In so doing, the Tigers were hoping for better command from their second-year right-hander, whose return from the disabled list became all the more important when Joel Zumaya fractured his elbow earlier this week.

"He's totally healthy," Tigers manager Jim Leyland said. "That's not even an issue. That's the good news. The bad news is that he hasn't thrown strikes. He's pitching tonight and hopefully we can get him [back] because we are desperate now with Zumaya being gone. That hurts. So now, we are hoping Perry can get back here shortly.

"I think the other thing you have to be careful of is when you send someone down to be straightened out, you want to make sure they get straightened out. You don't want to panic and just start bringing them back because all of a sudden you've had a snag and you have to make a move."

Reports have suggested Perry's pitches themselves are looking very good with movement, but he has struggled to spot them. He threw just 16 of his 36 pitches for strikes in his last appearance Tuesday at Toledo, but he wasn't hanging pitches.

"He looks like he's healthy," Mud Hens manager Larry Parrish told reporters on Tuesday. "It's just a matter of getting ahead in the count. When he's missing, he's missing down. But he's still missing, whether it's down or up, and being behind is not where he wants to be, especially when he starts facing good hitters."
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

Ryan Perry TRACKER Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ryan Perry TRACKER   Ryan Perry TRACKER Icon_minitimeSat Jul 03, 2010 2:16 pm

Perry expected to be called up Saturday
Right-hander pitched perfect inning on Friday at Triple-A

By Jason Beck and Alex DiFilippo / MLB.com

07/03/10 12:19 AM ET

DETROIT -- Ryan Perry's stint in Triple-A Toledo was a little less like a rehab assignment and a little more of a rust-shaking assignment. It continued on Friday night with an appearance for the Mud Hens against Gwinnett at Fifth Third place.

Perry pitched a perfect inning with two strikeouts on Friday night then was told he will be activated from the disabled list on Saturday and return to the Tigers bullpen, according to the Toledo Blade. The Tigers did not announce a move after Friday's game and it wasn't immediately clear what the return move would be.

Perry threw the eighth inning and retired all three batters he faced, two of which came via strikeout. His pitches to strikes ratio was also much improved with nine of his 13 pitches counting as strikes. He topped out his fastball at 95 to 96 mph in his outing, as well.

The performance was a step in the right direction for the second-year right-hander, who Tigers manager Jim Leyland said had to iron out his command before returning to the big leagues. It will be important for Perry to find his groove quick, as a season-ending elbow fracture suffered by Joel Zumaya has left a gap in the Tigers bullpen.

"He's totally healthy," Leyland said. "That's not even an issue. That's the good news. The bad news is that he hasn't thrown strikes. He's pitching tonight [Friday] and hopefully we can get him [back] because we are desperate now with Zumaya being gone. That hurts. So now, we are hoping Perry can get back here shortly."
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

Ryan Perry TRACKER Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ryan Perry TRACKER   Ryan Perry TRACKER Icon_minitimeSat Jul 03, 2010 4:50 pm

PERRY REINSTATED FROM DL, FIEN OPTIONED: The Tigers today announced the club has recalled the injury rehabilitation assignment of righthanded pitcher Ryan Perry and reinstated him from the disabled list. To create room on the club’s 25-man roster, the Tigers today optioned the contract of righthanded pitcher Casey Fien to Toledo. Perry had been sidelined since June 7 with right shoulder bicipital tendinitis and in three outings with Toledo, he allowed an unearned run on one hit in 3.2 innings of work as he allowed four walks and fanned four batters.
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

Ryan Perry TRACKER Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ryan Perry TRACKER   Ryan Perry TRACKER Icon_minitimeSat Aug 21, 2010 11:23 pm

Perry stingy with runners on base

By Jason Beck / MLB.com

08/21/10 7:46 PM ET

DETROIT -- Hard as it might be to believe, this weekend's series between the Tigers and Indians features the two stingiest relievers in the American League in terms of inherited runners stranded. Indians left-hander Tony Sipp is first at 28-for-36, and Tigers righty Ryan Perry is second at 19-for-23.

For all the ups and downs Perry has experienced in his sophomore season, that has been one mark in his favor all year.

The 23-year-old hasn't entered many situations with runners on base since returning from the disabled list last month. The bulk of his baserunners came early in the year, when he was sharing setup duties with Joel Zumaya. Perry's now beginning more innings, but he still has entered in some situations to get the final out of the seventh.

That was his situation Monday night at Yankee Stadium, when back-to-back two-out hits off Phil Coke brought in Perry to face Francisco Cervelli as the potential go-ahead run in what was then a 2-0 game. Perry retired Cervelli on a groundout to end the threat.

A day earlier, he had a big strikeout of Paul Konerko to end a White Sox rally.

Some of Perry's progress lately has been due to his health, bullpen coach Jeff Jones said. His arm issues earlier were believed to be lingering for a while. Manager Jim Leyland also sees his delivery as a difference.

"I think the next step with him is consistency," Leyland said. "He's got to get to where he gets in a steady rhythm on a consistent basis."
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

Ryan Perry TRACKER Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ryan Perry TRACKER   Ryan Perry TRACKER Icon_minitimeSat Sep 04, 2010 11:43 pm

Leyland looking for consistency from Perry

By Alan Eskew / Special to MLB.com

09/04/10 9:38 PM ET

KANSAS CITY -- Ryan Perry threw two flawless innings on Friday to pick up the victory over the Royals. Perry struck out two and threw 15 strikes in 23 pitches.

"He's got to bottle that," Tigers manager Jim Leyland said on Saturday. "That's stuff you want to bottle. He looked great last night. That was very encouraging."

Leyland said he looking for more consistency from Perry in "control, throwing more strikes, getting ahead of hitters better."

"He's got one of the best arms in the bullpen in the league," Leyland said. "He matches up well with all the guys, throwing 96-95-94 [mph]. He has an outstanding slider. All the equipment is there. It's just a matter of consistency. He's one of my favorites. I love him."

Overall, Perry is 3-5 with a 4.22 ERA, allowing 50 hits and walking 21 in 49 innings. Perry said he had a "chip on his shoulder" against the Royals, after taking a loss in the 10th inning on Wednesday against the Twins.

"Maybe he was a little complacent," Leyland said. "I don't know if that's true or not. It sounds that way."
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

Ryan Perry TRACKER Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ryan Perry TRACKER   Ryan Perry TRACKER Icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 3:07 pm

Ryan Perry TRACKER RSoK47kW

Ryan Perry will be eligible to return from the disabled list on April 20 in Seattle. (David J. Phillip/AP)

Eye infection forces Perry to disabled list
Righty Weinhardt recalled from Triple-A to fill bullpen opening
By Jason Beck / MLB.com | 04/07/11 1:38 PM ET

BALTIMORE -- The Tigers didn't lose any players to the recent stomach bug that had gone around the clubhouse, but they have lost a potentially key reliever to an eye issue.

Right-hander Ryan Perry, one of the club's seventh-inning setup men, was placed on the 15-day disabled list Thursday with an infected eye.

Perry's spot in the bullpen will be taken by right-handed sinkerballer Robbie Weinhardt, who was recalled Thursday from Triple-A Toledo. Weinhardt was one of the final cuts during Spring Training, losing out to long relievers Brayan Villarreal and Enrique Gonzalez.

Perry pitched in two of the Tigers' first four games, allowing a run over two-thirds of an inning Saturday at Yankee Stadium before tossing a scoreless eighth inning Monday against the Orioles.

With Joel Zumaya opening the season on the DL, Perry was seen as the primary candidate to help carry a lead from Detroit's starters to setup man Joaquin Benoit and closer Jose Valverde. That mainly involved the seventh inning, which manager Jim Leyland had hinted was a point of concern.

Leyland had left-hander Phil Coke, a primary setup man for much of last season, available in that spot for the first four games, while the Tigers needed just four starters. With no off-day scheduled for the next two weeks, Coke is back in starter mode for his scheduled turn in the rotation Saturday against the Royals at Comerica Park.

With Perry out, the seventh inning becomes an opportunity for some who are younger and less-tested. Weinhardt would presumably be among them, as will left-handers Daniel Schlereth and Brad Thomas.

Perry's move was made retroactive to Tuesday. He'll be eligible to return from the DL on April 20 -- the final day of the Tigers' next road trip to the West Coast. They have a series finale in Seattle that afternoon.

Weinhardt was in Toledo for the Mud Hens' season opener, scheduled for Thursday. He caught a flight to Baltimore and is expected to be available for the Tigers' series finale against the Orioles.

Jason Beck is a reporter for MLB.com. Read Beck's Blog and follow him on Twitter @beckjason. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Ryan Perry TRACKER Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ryan Perry TRACKER   Ryan Perry TRACKER Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ryan Perry TRACKER
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next