Always A Tiger
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.

Always A Tiger

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to learn and talk about their Favorite Baseball Team, as well as just enjoy one another's company.

HomePortalFAQSearchRegisterLog in
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Share | 

Rangers reacquire Pudge

Go down 
AuthorMessage
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star

Aries Location : Ohio

PostSubject: Rangers reacquire Pudge   Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:10 pm

Rangers reacquire Pudge
Rodriguez, 14-time All-Star, will be Texas' backup catcher

By T.R. Sullivan / MLB.com

08/18/09 5:47 PM ET

ARLINGTON -- Ivan Rodriguez is returning to the Rangers to be a backup catcher.

The Rangers completed a trade with the Houston Astros on Tuesday to reacquire the 14-time All-Star catcher for two players. The Astros will receive Class A pitcher Matt Nevarez and two players to be named, one of whom is reportedly Double-A infielder Jose Vallejo.

Rodriguez, 37, a 13-time Gold Glove winner, has been told that Taylor Teagarden will remain the Rangers' No. 1 catcher. The Rangers had been looking for a catcher after Jarrod Saltalamacchia went on the disabled list with a sore right arm. Saltalamacchia could be out for the remainder of the season.

"I'm feeling great, feeling good. It's nice to be back to the place that I started," said Rodriguez, who waived his no-trade clause. "It's nice to be back there. It's also sad. I think Houston is a great team and a good group of guys. The fans are great, but business is business. You've got to prepare for anything. Especially being a veteran player, those things can happen.

"I'm going to move forward. It's a good trade. It will be nice to go there. ... I'm looking forward to going there and to do my best to try to help them win."

Rodriguez, 37, is hitting .251 with eight home runs and 34 RBIs in 93 games and 344 plate appearances for the Astros.

He is expected to join the Rangers on Tuesday night but probably won't be activated until Wednesday.

"We're excited to have Pudge," club president Nolan Ryan said. "We're looking forward to having him, and he's excited about coming back. He brings experience, he's a veteran player and he's been in the postseason. He brings a lot."

Rodriguez originally signed with the Rangers and played for them from 1991 to 2002 before leaving as a free agent. He was a 10-time All-Star and Gold Glove winner for the Rangers, their starting catcher on three division championship teams and the 1999 American League Most Valuable Player.

He was the starting catcher for the Florida Marlins in 2003 when they won the World Series and for the Detroit Tigers when they won the American League pennant in 2006. He remains among the Rangers' all-time top 10 in just about every offensive category and is their all-time leader in hits and doubles.

T.R. Sullivan is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com

Rangers reacquire Pudge
Page 1 of 1