Always A Tiger
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.

Always A Tiger

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to learn and talk about their Favorite Baseball Team, as well as just enjoy one another's company.

HomePortalFAQSearchRegisterLog in
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Share | 

Jake Thompson News

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star

Aries Location : Ohio

PostSubject: Jake Thompson News   Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:02 am

Tigers top pick Thompson among 15 to sign
Texas high school righty won state title, named Player of Year
By Rowan Kavner / MLB.com | 06/13/12 9:04 PM ET

The Jake Thompson and Austin Schotts deals are done, as expected, and 13 other Tigers Draft picks are officially signed as well.

Thompson was the team's top pick this year, in the second round, as an 18-year-old right-hander out of Rockwall-Heath High in Texas. Schotts, a high school center fielder also out of Texas (Centennial High), was the the team's second pick, in the third round.

Thompson played on the state championship team, was named the Player of the Year, graduated from high school and signed as the Tigers' top pick in a matter of a couple of weeks. He bypassed his Texas Christian University scholarship to sign with the Tigers early.

"High school graduation is a huge moment in a kid's life," said Thompson's father, Keith. "You can imagine how big getting drafted by the Major Leagues is when it overshadows your high school graduation. Nobody wanted to talk about his graduation, they wanted to talk about the Tigers."

Jake Thompson told MLB.com on Monday as the deal neared completion that his decision to sign was pretty easy as the Tigers' top pick.

His father said it's been difficult to put into words what the last few weeks have been like.

"It's unreal," Keith Thompson said. "My vocabulary is too limited to even describe how happy we are."

Thompson's high school baseball coach, Greg Harvey, echoed those sentiments.

"He's been on the varsity for three years. He's been a frontline player for us," Harvey said. "He's an unbelievable competitor and goes out and plays his best games when everything is line. When the heat gets turned up, he gets better. That's a trademark of his.

"It's been an unbelievable couple years he's had here. For us to top it off by winning the state championship and having him be drafted all in the same week, it's absolutely amazing. I'm so happy for our school and for our team and his family."

Among the 15 players the Tigers announced had been inked Wednesday were two more players from the top 10 rounds: fifth-rounder choice Joe Rogers, a 21-year-old left-hander from the University of Central Florida; and 10th-rounder Charlie Gillies, a 21-year-old right-hander from The Masters College in California. The Masters College doesn't participate in the NCAA, but in the NAIA.

Other signed players (Round, Name, Position, School):

11, Bennett Pickar, C, Oral Roberts University (Okla.)
12, Julio Felix, RHP, Pima Community College (Ariz.)
15, Jordan Dean, SS, Central Michigan University
17, Slade Smith, RHP, Auburn University (Ala.)
21, Alex Phillips, LHP, University of Kentucky
24, Nick Carmichael, RHP, Palomar College (Calif.)
25, Jared Reaves, SS, University of Alabama
28, Josh Carr, RHP, Kennesaw State University (Ga.)
29, Zach Kirksey, OF, University of Mississippi
34, Matt Davenport, RHP, College of William & Mary (Va.)
40, Ryan Longstreth, LHP, Central Michigan University

The deadline to sign 2012 Draft picks is 5 p.m. ET on July 13.

Rowan Kavner is an associate reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

"If you have to choose between power and speed and it often turns out you have to make that choice, you've got to go for speed." Source: TV Guide Interview (April 3, 1982)
-- Sparky Anderson
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Jake Thompson News   Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:05 am

Tigers draft pick Jake Thompson carries himself well both on and off
the field, according to high school coach. (Associated Press)

June 14, 2012 at 1:00 am
Draft pick profiles: Tigers' top pick Jake Thompson pitches his best attributes

By Lynn Henning
The Detroit News

This is the first of a series profiling the Tigers' top draft picks.

Mike Ilitch has a second reason to cheer the Tigers top draft pick.

It has to do with Jake Thompson's preferred NHL team, the Red Wings, which are owned by the same man whose dollars are now expected to boost an 18-year-old right-handed pitcher's purchase power.

"It sounds funny, but I probably got to like them through video games," Thompson said during a Monday phone conversation. "They're always really good and easy to (compete) with. It wasn't until a couple of years ago that I began following them in real-life. But now I follow them across the season."

The Tigers, meanwhile, will be following Thompson, if the physical he took Tuesday in Lakeland, Fla., sanctions a contract he and the Tigers already have agreed upon.

Thompson, selected 91st overall, is a 6-foot-4, 225-pound starting pitcher with a low-90s fastball, a mean slider, and the kind of big-bodied, big-pitch upside the Tigers traditionally look for in their rotation.

Last week, he helped his Rockwall-Heath (Texas) High team win the state 4A title, which was made more manageable by Thompson's big season: 12-1 record and 0.73 ERA with 165 strikeouts and 27 walks in 952/3 innings.

"You don't see many kinds like him on a baseball field, as far as his ability to play at the best level when everything's on the line," said Greg Harvey, Rockwall-Heath's coach. "I played in the Royals organization, and what I can tell you is that when he's on the mound, he turns into a warrior.

"He knows his abilities, he knows he's good, and he will compete with you. You better be careful about what you say to him, because there's a little edge there."

His disposition was one of the qualities that tilted Thompson toward the Tigers during the draft. David Chadd, director of amateur scouting for the Tigers, mentioned the "Texas swagger" Thompson featured in step with his fastball-slider combination.

But the on-field demeanor belies Thompson's everyday persona. He is regarded by Harvey and others as a gentleman, articulate and easygoing, which is what comes across in a phone conversation.

His father is a longtime school principal. His mother is a paralegal, and academics were important to Thompson, who nonetheless will turn down a TCU scholarship to sign with the Tigers.

"I was a solid, above-average student," Thompson said of his just-completed high school life. "I wasn't an Ivy League student. But, in just about anything I do, wherever I put myself, I end up being very good at it, very dedicated at it.

"I'd like to think I'm pretty smart. Not anything extraordinary, but if I wasn't an athlete and hadn't dedicated myself so much to baseball, I'd come close to having a perfect GPA (grade-point average)."

He also has a near-perfect appetite, preferring chicken, pasta, and pizza. His food passion comes with a downside that Thompson last year turned into an achievement.

He got busy in the weight room and, with changing some dietary habits, dropped 20-plus pounds, slipping from 245 to just over 220.

"He's a big kid — a big, strong kid, not fast in any way, shape or form, but with enough agility to move from first base to third base this year," Harvey said. "He's got that natural pitcher's body, if you will. Big, strong legs — and height.

"To be honest with you, it's the best he's ever looked in his life."

lynn.henning@detnews.com

twitter.com@Lynn_Henning

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20120614/SPORTS0104/206140373#ixzz1xpbFoEoz

"If you have to choose between power and speed and it often turns out you have to make that choice, you've got to go for speed." Source: TV Guide Interview (April 3, 1982)
-- Sparky Anderson
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Jake Thompson News   Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:45 pm

Jake Thompson
2013 Rank: 9
ETA: 2016
Position: RHP
Bats: R, Throws: R
Height: 6' 4", Weight: 235
Drafted: 2012, 2nd (91) - DET
Twitter: @jthomp15
Scouting Grades* (present/future): FB: 6/6 | Curve: 4/5 | Slider: 3/5 | Changeup: 3/5 | Control: 4/5 | Overall: 4/5

It's become somewhat standard of late for the Tigers not to have a first-round Draft pick, and 2012 was no different, with Thompson being their first selection, in the second round. The Texas high school product is big and strong, with a low-90s fastball that has good movement. He could have a plus heater when all is said and done. His slider could end up being his best pitch, with excellent bite to it. He has a feel for a changeup, though it needs some work, not uncommon for prep pitchers. Thompson's solid pro debut in the Gulf Coast League, albeit brief, should leave Tigers fans wanting to see more.

-- Sparky Anderson
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Jake Thompson News   Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:59 am

Top Prospects: Thompson, DET

02/01/13
00:35

2013 MLB.com Top Prospects: Jake Thompson is big and strong, and, while his best pitch is a fastball, he also has good secondary stuff

-- Sparky Anderson
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jake Thompson News   

Back to top Go down

Jake Thompson News
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1