Always A Tiger
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
Always A Tiger
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
Always A Tiger
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Always A Tiger

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to learn and talk about their Favorite Baseball Team, as well as just enjoy one another's company.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Smyly two-hits Cards for seven frames

Go down 
AuthorMessage
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

Aries Location : Ohio

Smyly two-hits Cards for seven frames Empty
PostSubject: Smyly two-hits Cards for seven frames   Smyly two-hits Cards for seven frames Icon_minitimeTue Jul 26, 2011 2:24 am

Smyly two-hits Cards for seven frames 4urkUtgE

Drew Smyly fanned 10 on Monday. His previous career high was eight. (Mark LoMoglio/MiLB.com)

Tigers left-hander fans career-high 10 in Lakeland's shutout
By Andrew Pentis / Special to MLB.com
07/25/2011 10:16 PM ET

Lakeland's Drew Smyly would pick precision over power. Every time.

Spotting his pitches for strikes, Smyly struck out a career-high 10 over seven innings Monday in the Class A Advanced Flying Tigers' 1-0 victory over the visiting Palm Beach Cardinals.

Smyly (7-3), Detroit's second-round draft pick in 2010, earned his third straight win. He allowed two hits -- singles to Adam Melker in the third frame and Raniel Rosario in the fifth -- while walking two and plunking one batter.

"I had really good control," he said. "When you can put it where you want it, you're bound for success."

The 22-year-old left-hander -- the Tigers' No. 7 prospect -- had completed seven innings twice before in his first 13 starts. He hadn't held an opposing lineup scoreless since posting seven no-hit frames in a June 8 win over Daytona.

Smyly struck out the side twice and has 77 strikeouts through 80 1/3 innings. He credited his curveball, typically the culprit of his K's.

"That was my swing-and-miss pitch," he said.

He also lowered his ERA to 2.58, the lowest it has been since his pro debut on April 8. The pitcher said the elbow tendinitis that cost him a month of action earlier this season is no longer a concern.

"I can't complain. I'm having a good first pro season," he said. "I had a bump in the road with the DL, but I've been getting stronger every time out."

Cole Nelson and Matt Little combined on two clean final innings.

The Flying Tigers scored their lone run off of Cardinals starter Eric Fornataro in the sixth. Brett Wyatt led off with a single, stole second base, advanced to third base on Jordan Lennerton's groundout and scored on Wade Gaynor's single into center field.

"We have been in a lot of close games lately," Smyly said of his club, which had lost four straight, "and we needed this one."

Fornataro (6-9) scattered seven hits over 6 2/3 strong innings. He fanned three.

Andrew Pentis is a contributor to MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of the National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
https://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com

Page 1 of 1