Always A Tiger
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.

Always A Tiger

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to learn and talk about their Favorite Baseball Team, as well as just enjoy one another's company.

HomePortalFAQSearchRegisterLog in
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

2010 Arizona Fall League

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

Aries Location : Ohio

2010 Arizona Fall League - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2010 Arizona Fall League   2010 Arizona Fall League - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 11, 2010 9:03 pm

Bucs' Lambo belts walk-off grand slam
Slugs fourth Fall League homer to cap six-run ninth inning
By Josh Jackson / Special to MLB.com | 11/09/10 6:25 PM EST

Game story | Box score

Andrew Lambo added a highlight to an already stellar Arizona Fall League campaign.

The Pirates prospect slugged a walk-off grand slam to cap a six-run ninth inning and give the Mesa Solar Sox a 7-5 victory over the Surprise Rafters on Tuesday.

Lambo was 0-for-2 with a walk and had grounded into a double play prior to his ninth-inning at-bat.

Lambo entered Tuesday's action ranked fourth in the AFL with 18 RBIs in 22 games. The four he collected with his clutch homer moved him ahead of teammate Brandon Wood (Angels), who held the league lead with 20.

The 22-year-old outfielder's strong fall follows a tumultuous regular season. He was suspended for 50 games on May 1 after testing positive a second time for a drug of abuse, then was traded from the Dodgers to Pittsburgh with right-hander James McDonald in a deadline deal for 36-year-old reliever Octovio Dotel. Lambo went on to hit .275 in 26 regular-season games with Double-A Altoona, helping the Curve capture their first Eastern League Championship.

Mesa's Josh Harrison (Pirates) drew a leadoff walk in the ninth against Brewers right-hander Jeremy Jeffress. Wood also walked and Phillies prospect Matt Rizzotti knocked in Harrison with a single up the middle.

When Kirk Nieuwenhuis (Mets) reached on a fielder's choice, Jeffress was pulled for Rangers prospect Fabio Castillo (0-1), who gave up a bunt single to Jordy Mercer (Pirates) that loaded the bases. Lambo worked the count to 1-1 before fouling off five straight pitches. He pulled the eighth pitch of the at-bat over the right-field fence for his fourth fall homer.

Phillies right-hander Chris Kissock (1-0) pitched the ninth for the win and has not allowed a run over 7 1/3 innings in the AFL.

Rangers outfield prospect Joey Butler homered and Derrick Robinson (Royals) chipped in two RBIs and a run scored for the Rafters (12-10).

The comeback by the Solar Sox (13-11) overshadowed another solid effort from Rangers right-hander Eric Hurley. The former first-round pick allowed two hits over five innings to extend his scoreless streak to 15 over three starts.

Josh Jackson is a contributor to MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

"If you have to choose between power and speed and it often turns out you have to make that choice, you've got to go for speed." Source: TV Guide Interview (April 3, 1982)
-- Sparky Anderson
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

PostSubject: Re: 2010 Arizona Fall League   2010 Arizona Fall League - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 11, 2010 9:06 pm

Jays' Rzepczynski keeps rolling in AFL
Southpaw strikes out eight, pitches six scoreless frames
By Josh Jackson / Special to MLB.com | 11/10/10 6:20 PM EST

Game story | Box score

Marc Rzepczynski isn't easing up on Arizona Fall League hitters.

The former Pitcher of the Week tossed six shutout innings for the second straight start Wednesday, striking out eight without issuing a walk, as the Peoria Javelinas beat the Surprise Rafters, 8-5.

After making 12 Triple-A starts and 14 appearances in the big leagues, the Blue Jays left-hander was sent to Arizona to work on his efficiency, he told MLB.com after his Nov. 3 start.

"I need to get ahead and learn and work on my fastball command, throw my sinker in the zone and get quick outs," he said.

The 25-year-old improved to 3-0 while lowering his ERA to 0.69, which ranks second in the Arizona Fall League.

Rzepczynski, a 2007 fifth-round pick, retired seven straight batters before giving up a one-out double in the third to Cardinals prospect Peter Kozma. He set down another six in a row before surrendering a single, then fanned three in a row in the fifth and sixth.

The first-place Javelinas (15-8) provided their starter with a lead before he took the mound. Adam Loewen (Blue Jays) smacked a two-run homer and Red Sox catching prospect Ryan Lavarnway went deep three pitches later for a 3-0 cushion. It was Lavarnway's third fall homer after combining for 22 across two Minor League levels during the season.

Indians prospect Jason Kipnis added two hits, including a two-run single, for Peoria.

Jason Rice (Red Sox) snuffed out a ninth-inning rally, allowing an unearned run on a pair of hits, as the Rafters tried to erase an 8-2 deficit.

Cards prospect Tony Cruz led the attack for Surprise (12-11). He singled in the seventh, took third on a double by Hunter Morris (Brewers) and scored on a wild pitch, then crossed the plate again in the ninth after drawing the second of back-to-back walks issued by Chen Lee (Indians).

Cardinals farmhand Brian Broderick (2-1) was tagged for five runs on seven hits over five innings.

Josh Jackson is a contributor to MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

"If you have to choose between power and speed and it often turns out you have to make that choice, you've got to go for speed." Source: TV Guide Interview (April 3, 1982)
-- Sparky Anderson
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

PostSubject: Re: 2010 Arizona Fall League   2010 Arizona Fall League - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 11:51 pm

Chambers leads comeback for Rafters
Cardinals outfield prospect plates three in win over Solar Sox
By Danny Wild / MLB.com | 11/11/10 10:50 PM EST

Recap Box

Adron Chambers may not be a familiar name to many Cardinals fans, but after a strong showing in Arizona this fall, they may soon be marveling over his journey to St. Louis.

Four years ago, Chambers left his home in Pensacola, Fla., bought a Greyhound bus ticket for about $100 and took a 23-hour ride to Memphis, Tenn.

"I got a phone call from the Cardinals after my year at junior college, and they told me to come to Memphis and try out for them," said Chambers, a college football player who spent a year on the diamond at Pensacola Junior College. "So I took a bus, 23 hours from Pensacola ... and from that point, as soon as I got off the bus, I showed them what I could do."

Chambers, a defensive back at Mississippi State, had dreams of playing in the Majors. The Cardinals were impressed with his ambition and talents.

"They let me know right there that they wanted me, just like that," he said. "It was just being at the right place at the right time."

Chambers had a few more timely moments Thursday. He went 3-for-4 with three RBIs to help overcome a pair of homers from the Pirates' Tony Sanchez as Surprise edged Mesa, 6-5, in the Arizona Fall League. As recently as a few months ago, the outfielder had never even heard of the circuit.

"I didn't know anything about the Fall League. I never paid attention to it. I was just focusing and doing my part this season, and when they told me I was going, I figured it was another opportunity to show them what I can do," he said. "I love it. I'm having a lot of fun."

Chambers now gets paid to take those long bus rides, and ironically, many of them have led back to Memphis. He's climbed his way up through the St. Louis system, finishing the 2010 season at Triple-A Memphis. He's literally a phone call away from stepping on the field with Albert Pujols and the Cardinals in 2011, a dream he said he always knew he could achieve.

"I always thought that I could be the best at what I am doing," he said. "I started at (Rookie-level) Johnson City, and I mean, I wasn't thinking about St. Louis. So it's been a good ride, I've been at the lowest of lows and I'm right next to being at the tip top. So I need to just keep doing what I'm doing, and believe I'm supposed to be out there with these guys."

Chambers looks the part thus far with Mesa. The Pensacola native, a leadoff man, is batting .333 and is 8-for-8 in stolen base attempts this fall, a huge improvement over the modest speed he showed at two levels in the Minors this past summer.

Chambers knocked in two with a double to left field off Nick Carr (Mets), then stole third and scampered home for the tying run after a wild throw by catcher Sanchez in the fifth inning. He also doubled in the first and singled in the third.

"I stayed on the fastball, he threw one -- he walked the guy before me on four pitches -- so I wanted to get him to throw me one," Chambers said of his big two-bagger. "I told myself I'd be ready for the next one, and he throws me one right over the plate."

The Cardinals outfielder hit a one-out sacrifice fly to right off Jake Diekman (Phillies), plating Cale Iorg (Tigers) for what turned out to be the decisive run. Sanchez, the Pirates' top pick in the 2009 Draft, blasted his second home run of the game in the ninth, but Milwaukee's Brandon Kintzler came on to strike out Brandon Wood (Angels) to seal the win.

"Before that [eighth] inning, the coaches kinda had some information given to us on how they would play us and how they'd handle us," he said. "We took advantage of that, we had two stolen bases and and he hung me a slider and I put a good piece of the wood on it.

"I really was [looking for a slider], I don't like to say that, but after those first three at-bats, they started throwing me some breaking balls," he said. "He hung me one and I don't think he wanted to do that."

Chambers speaks like a humble man on a mission. A defensive back on the Mississippi State football team, he overcame a suspension stemming from an assault charge in college that was later dismissed. He was selected by St. Louis in the 38th round of the 2007 Draft. A few years later, he is one of the organization's top performers in the AFL.

Every win and hit is another chance for him to show the Cardinals he's ready.

"We haven't beat those guys -- that was our first time beating them I think, but it was the same kinda atmosphere out here. These are all good ballclubs," he said. "This league, it seems like whoever has a good day will win it. Today we had a good day.

"Our hitting coach told me there's no pressure, just come out here and have fun, do whatever I've been doing."

Chambers' perfect record in steals this fall has been another encouraging aspect.

"To tell you the truth, that's what they've been trying to get out of me," he said of stealing bases. "Everywhere I've been, they want you to steal bases. Our manager (Mike Guerrero), he told us from Day 1, he loves running the bases and being aggressive. They gave me the opportunity and told me to let loose, so it's been a success."

Danny Wild is an editor for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

-- Sparky Anderson
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

PostSubject: Re: 2010 Arizona Fall League   2010 Arizona Fall League - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 11:56 pm

Jays' Loewen sees success in Arizona
Former Major League pitcher continuing comeback in AFL
By Danny Wild / MLB.com | 11/12/10 6:51 PM EST

Recap Box

Adam Loewen has been here before, but his goal remains the same.

A former first-round pick, Loewen made the Arizona Fall League All-Prospect Team -- in 2005. He's 26 now and essentially looking to make a second Major League debut.

"I just need to keep making progress from the previous year and the rest tends take care of itself," he said. "It's out of my hands."

The improvement, especially of late, is hard to miss. Loewen spent parts of three seasons in the Majors in Baltimore's starting rotation. The No. 4 overall pick in the 2002 Draft, he went up against Randy Johnson, Tom Glavine and Roy Halladay in his first month in the Majors. An arm injury ended his pitching career in 2008, but he's determined to work his way back as a hitter.

Batting .342 this fall, the first baseman doubled twice, walked, had two RBIs and helped fuel a nine-run first-inning rally Friday as the Peoria Javelinas crushed the Surprise Rafters, 10-3.

"I think we do a good job of staying focused, so we're putting up runs and our pitchers are putting up some shutout innings," he said. "We're definitely staying sharp in the field and at the plate."

Loewen threw his final pitch on July 6, 2008 in a relief appearance against Texas. After starring for Canada in the 2006 World Baseball Classic, he was forced to face a painful reality: his pitching career was over following arm pain and control issues.

Loewen said he'd try to stay in the game -- as a hitter. The Orioles were supportive but released him with hopes of re-signing him to a Minor League contract as a first baseman. He ended up inking a deal with Toronto and has spent the last two years learning his way around the plate in the Minors.

"Wherever they put you, you put your work in and things take care of themselves," he said. "I just need to keep improving."

Loewen, an Eastern League All-Star this summer with Double-A New Hampshire, has driven in 14 runs in his last nine games. He doesn't play every day, but he's been a big contributor for the first-place Javelinas (17-8).

He batted twice in the big first inning, drawing a walk and scoring on an RBI single by Padres prospect Nate Tenbrink before lining a two-out double to plate Juan Carlos Linares (Red Sox).

"I was looking for a fastball. We batted around and I'd worked the count full, was just looking for something I could drive and get someone in," Loewen said. "And that's what guys were doing all inning. Everyone had the same at-bat as I did."

He knocked home former Mariners first-rounder Dustin Ackley with another double in the fourth.

"I'd just taken a changeup high and was looking to get a heater in my zone," he said. "I got it and was trying to put it in the hole or drive it in the gap."

Loewen, however, struck out in his final two plate appearances. He struggled with fanning in 2010, striking 142 times in 113 games.

"I kind of struggled in the second half," he said. "So to come out here against the best pitchers and hitters in the Minors and to really play well, it's really something good. I've made a couple adjustments in the last few months and everything is finally coming around."

Loewen finished the season with a .246 average, 13 homers, 70 RBIs and 17 steals.

"Overall, I was satisfied, but I think the second half I really struggled a lot," he said. "It was another learning experience, like the year before. I was grinding through it and trying to get better."

The Jays sent Loewen to the AFL last year and he hit .200 in 19 games for Phoenix, but he's clearly a new player this time around. He joined Peoria after playing for Team Canada in the Pan-Am Qualifying Tournament in Puerto Rico.

"I was mentally fatigued, so being on the taxi squad helped me out," he said. "I was still getting reps in between games, but not playing every day kind of helped me. It helped me get my focus back."

The Vancouver native is batting .348 with runners on base, .346 against right-handers and has a pair of steals.

"We're playing with a bunch of loose guys and that's helped as well," he said. "There's no pressure. We go out and play and we're a good team, so that always helps."

Despite a wealth of Major League service time, Loewen said he's not the veteran of the clubhouse.

"I think we're all close enough in age that they don't view me like that," he said. "It's not like that, I think everybody gets along well. It's not who's older, everyone wants to get better and play well."

NOTES: Indians prospect Jason Kipnis hit leadoff for Peoria and knocked in two runs. ... Roberto Perez (Indians) went 2-for-4 with two RBIs. ... Scott Barnes (Indians) started and picked up his third win, allowing a run on two hits over three innings. ... Tigers right-hander Brooks Brown was hammered in the first, charged with six runs on four hits and two walks while retiring two batters. ... Eric Hosmer (Royals), Hunter Morris (Brewers) and Derrick Robinson (Royals) drove in runs for the Rafters.

Danny Wild is an editor for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

-- Sparky Anderson
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

PostSubject: Re: 2010 Arizona Fall League   2010 Arizona Fall League - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 18, 2010 12:00 am

2010 Arizona Fall League - Page 2 HfnVbvOB
Cale Iorg is 10-for-19 during a five-game hitting streak after splitting
the season between Erie and Toledo. (Kevin Pataky/MiLB.com)

Iorg's three hits help Rafters stay afloat
Tigers shortstop prospect continues late-season AFL surge
By John Parker / Special to MLB.com | 11/13/10 6:29 PM EST

Recap Box

Cale Iorg collected three hits and Brewers prospect Michael Fiers pitched five strong innings Saturday as the Surprise Rafters held off the first-place Scottsdale Scorpions, 4-3.

Iorg, a 25-year-old Tigers infield prospect, is 10-for-19 in his last five games to lift his average to .264 over 14 Arizona Fall League games.

Designated hitter Zack Cox (Cardinals) and second baseman Johnny Giavotella (Royals) both homered and singled for the Rafters, who had lost four in a row to the Scorpions. Another Tigers prospect, third baseman Francisco Martinez, singled twice and stole a base.

Fiers (2-1) was sharp in his fifth AFL start, allowing one run on three hits with a walk and five strikeouts. Four Surprise relievers tossed an inning apiece to close out the win, with the Scorpions totaling only five hits.

Former first-round pick Conor Gillaspie (Giants) provided the bulk of the offense for Scottsdale, going 3-for-4 with a homer and two RBIs. His two-out solo shot in the first was his fourth in the AFL, tying him for the league lead. He added an RBI single in the eighth and stole his first base of the fall.

Rockies prospect Greg Reynolds (1-4) bore the brunt of the Rafters attack, yielding three runs -- one earned -- on eight hits while fanning three over four frames. Neither he nor any of Scottsdale's three relievers issued a walk.

Kam Mickolio, a 6-foot-9 Orioles farmhand, struck out four over two innings of perfect relief for the Scorpions. He has allowed one run over 12 innings in eight appearances.

The setback snapped Scottsdale's three-game winning streak and prevented it from clinching a spot in the Championship Game. The Scorpions lead second-place Mesa by four games with four to play.

Surprise (14-12) trails the first-place Peoria Javelinas by 3 1/2 games in the West.

John Parker is a contributor to MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

-- Sparky Anderson
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

PostSubject: Re: 2010 Arizona Fall League   2010 Arizona Fall League - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 18, 2010 12:04 am

Hurley remains unbeaten in Rafters' win
Reigning Pitcher of the Week tosses five shutout innings
By Robert Emrich / Special to MLB.com | 11/15/10 8:21 PM EST

Recap Box

Eric Hurley probably wishes the Arizona Fall League season would never end.

Hurley gave up three hits and struck out three over five shutout innings Monday as the Surprise Rafters edged the Peoria Javelinas, 2-1.

The reigning AFL Pitcher of the Week allowed just one runner past first base in extending his scoreless streak to 20 innings. The 25-year-old right-hander lowered his ERA to 1.82, which ranks second among starting pitchers in the hitter-friendly Fall League.

Hurley (3-0) was selected by the Rangers with the 30th overall pick in the 2004. After missing last season following right shoulder surgery, he underwent surgery on both wrists and sat out all of 2010. The last time he pitched in a regular-season game was July 27, 2008, lasting two innings against Oakland.

Cardinals farmhands Ramon Delgado and Blake King and Royals Minor Leaguer Patrick Keating combined for three scoreless innings out of the Rafters' bullpen, with Delgado allowing the only hit. Brandon Kintzler (Brewers) gave up a run on two hits in the ninth before recording his second save.

Cards prospect Adron Chambers went 2-for-3 with a double, his ninth stolen bases and a run scored for the Rafters. Eric Farris (Brewers) walked and scored Surprise's other run on a sacrifice fly by Rangers farmhand Joey Butler.

Indians Minor Leaguer Cord Phelps was 3-for-4 and connected on his second AFL homer for the Javelinas (18-10), who hold a three-game lead over second-place Surprise in the West Division. Former second overall pick Dustin Ackley (Mariners) went 0-for-4, ending his nine-game hitting streak.

Red Sox farmhand Seth Garrison (0-1) surrendered two runs on two hits over two frames.

Robert Emrich is a contributor to MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

-- Sparky Anderson
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

PostSubject: Re: 2010 Arizona Fall League   2010 Arizona Fall League - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 18, 2010 12:10 am

2010 Arizona Fall League - Page 2 XMR4ZALl
Cale Iorg drove in five of Surprise's seven runs in Tuesday's win. He also swiped his fifth base. (Michael O'Day/MLB.com)

Iorg's slam lifts Surprise to quick win
Pirates' Mercer leaves after being hit in knee with pitch
By Danny Wild / MLB.com | 11/16/10 6:39 PM EST

Recap Box

Cale Iorg hit a grand slam to give Surprise an early lead Tuesday, but it was an insurance RBI single later on that really made him smile.

"To get that hit and score that run, that was icing on the cake. It feels better than the grand slam," said Iorg. "To finish the game up strong. ... I mean, I could have said, 'OK, I've got two hits, whatever.' But that was huge for me to get that final hit and have a quality at-bat."

The Tigers infield prospect hit his slam in the second inning as the Rafters beat Mesa, 7-2, in a seven-inning Arizona Fall League game Tuesday.

"I'm just trying to get a good pitch to hit. He'd walked a couple guys, so I wanted to put the ball in play," he said of his second at-bat. "And worst-case scenario, you get a sac fly."

Jose Felix (Rangers) singled and Mesa starter Jake Muyco (Cubs) issued consecutive walks to Davis Stoneburner (Rangers) and Adron Chambers (Cardinals) to load the bases. Muyco started off Iorg with a fastball in the dirt.

That flipped on the green light.

"Once he went fastball down, I knew he had to throw a strike, and I knew it'd be a fastball," Iorg said. "I was just thinking about hitting it hard, but I never thought it would go out. But it happened."

He ripped a 91-mph four-seamer down the left-field line to put Surprise up, 6-0. He singled, stole second and scored in the first inning, then added an RBI single in the fourth to finish 3-for-3 and raise his average to .304 this fall.

"It has been good. I've been playing every other day. During the season, it was really tough. But it's been really good to know I'll be playing every other day here," Iorg said. "And in between, I don't need to be doing guess work. I know which day I'll play, so I know I'll stay sharp and put in good BP's and get in there tomorrow."

He is 13-for-22 in his last six games for Surprise after playing sporadically since his debut Oct. 12. He had only 53 at-bats entering the game, his last start coming on Nov. 13 when he went 3-for-4 to extend his hitting streak to five games. The bulk of his production to date had been on Oct. 21, when he went deep and plated three.

The former Alabama shortstop, coming off a huge high school career, received $1.5 million from Detroit after the Tigers selected him in the sixth round of the 2007 Draft. The huge contract came after Iorg left college after his freshman season to go on a Mormon mission to Portugal for two years.

Iorg is part of a pretty large baseball family -- he's the son of Garth Iorg and nephew of Dane Iorg, both former Major Leaguers. His brother, Eli, spent five seasons in the Minors with Houston.

The Toronto native split the 2010 season between Double-A Erie and Triple-A Toledo, hitting a combined .215 with 11 homers, 42 RBIs and 159 strikeouts in 126 games. The strikeouts (16 in 15 games) have continued in Arizona, but he's also put together some multi-hit efforts and scored nine times. He's batting .342 over his last 10 games and is 5-for-5 in steals.

"Chambers got on with a single and moved to second, and I knew he'd run. We were making eye contact that whole at-bat," Iorg said of his theft in the first. "We knew we'd run. It's an easy steal for me and worked out well."

Having a big game also was a relief for the 25-year-old.

"It means the world to me," he said. "I've had my fair share of struggles for a while now, so it's been great to swing the bat well the last five or six games."

Iorg is now a phone call away from becoming the third member of his family to step onto a Major League field.

"Getting up to Triple-A was a breath of fresh air," he said. "I'd swung the bat really well and proved I could handle it up there. So I just need to continue what I have done at Triple-A and have good, quality at-bats. That's the only thing you can control. You ask yourself, 'Did you have a quality at-bat?' That's always been my focus. The hits are going to come, and the last few games, they've been coming for me."

NOTES: The game was briefly delayed when Pirates prospect Jordy Mercer was hit by a pitch in his left knee in the seventh and had to be helped off the field. ... Brian Broderick (Cardinals) turned in a nice effort for Surprise, holding Mesa to two hits and a pair of walks over five innings for his third win. ... Muyco was charged with six runs on five hits and two walks over two frames. ... The Peoria Javelinas and Scottsdale Scorpions will battle for the AFL championship Saturday. The game will feature 2010 No. 1 pick, Washington's Bryce Harper, against the No. 2 overall pick from 2009, Seattle's Dustin Ackley. ... With teams aiming to limit pitch counts and innings, the league has adopted some new rules for the final week of play. Tuesday's games were all seven-inning affairs; games will be nine innings Wednesday at most and seven innings again Thursday. Saturday's one-game championship contest, however, will be played until a winner is decided.

-- Sparky Anderson
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

PostSubject: Re: 2010 Arizona Fall League   2010 Arizona Fall League - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 1:35 am

Cardinals' first-rounder Cox goes deep
Royals prospect Hosmer nearly cycles in Surprise rout
By Danny Wild / MLB.com | 11/17/10 6:35 PM EST

Recap Box

Zack Cox, the Cardinals' first-round pick this year, homered and drove in four runs Wednesday to lead the Surprise Rafters to a 13-3 rout of the Peoria Saguaros.

Cox hammered a 2-1 changeup from Henry Mabee (White Sox) for a three-run shot in the fifth inning, extending the Rafters' lead to 6-1. He knocked in another former first-rounder, Eric Hosmer (Royals), with a sacrifice fly in the seventh.

Pete Kozma went 3-for-5 with two RBIs and fellow Cards prospect Tony Cruz also had three hits and drove in a pair of runs.

Hosmer, batting .203, popped up in the ninth and fell a homer short of the cycle. He knocked in two runs.

Cox joined the Cardinals late after agreeing to a $3.2 million Major League contract before the signing deadline. He appeared in four games in the Rookie-level Gulf Coast League, going 6-for-15, before heading to the Arizona Fall League.

The Kentucky native was projected by many to be a top 10 pick, but he ended up slipping to St. Louis at No. 25. He opted not to sign with the Dodgers in 2008, instead committing to the University of Arkansas, where he spent two seasons as a third baseman.

Cox struggled early in Arizona but has found his way on base this month. Strikeouts have been a concern, but with three hits on Wednesday, he raised his average to .254. He's hitting .306 with 10 RBIs in his last 10 games. His first AFL homer came on Nov. 1.

Royals left-hander Danny Duffy (1-1) settled down for the win after three straight rough outings. He held Peoria to a run on two hits and three walks over five innings, striking out five.

Rays prospect Alex Cobb, who dominated at Double-A Montgomery this summer, was charged with five runs -- four earned -- on seven hits and two walks over 4 1/3 frames. He fanned eight.

Devin Mesoraco, the Reds' top pick in 2007, slugged his second homer in the fourth off Duffy.

-- Sparky Anderson
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

PostSubject: Re: 2010 Arizona Fall League   2010 Arizona Fall League - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 1:39 am

Marlins' Curry homers for Phoenix
Infield prospect smacks two-run blast in tie with Surprise
By Ashley Marshall / Special to MLB.com | 11/18/10 7:29 PM EST

Recap Box

Already eliminated from title contention headed into the final day of the Arizona Fall League season, the Phoenix Desert Dogs and Surprise Rafters played to a 3-3 stalemate Thursday.

Florida infield prospect Ryan Curry -- the only player on either team to have a multi-hit game -- went 2-for-3 with a two-run homer for Phoenix.

Johnny Giavotella (Royals) plated two runs on a clutch two-out double to tie the game for Surprise in the fifth inning of a planned seven-frame contest.

Oakland farmhand Travis Banwart allowed one run on two hits and a walk over three innings, but fell short of nabbing sole possession of the circuit's wins lead after Cory Gearrin (Braves) surrendered two runs in relief. Banwart ended the season atop the leaderboard with Scott Barnes (Indians), Josh Collmenter (Diamondbacks), Marc Rzepczynski (Blue Jays) and Ryan Verdugo (Giants) with four victories apiece.

Detroit hurler Brooks Brown, coming off his worst start of the year when he allowed six runs without getting out of the first inning, gave up three runs on five hits while striking out five in five frames for the Rafters.

The teams combined to strand nine runners on base, going 3-for-8 with runners in scoring position.

While the Desert Dogs -- winners of the previous five championship games -- have been looking up at the AFL East-leading Scottsdale Scorpions for the past few weeks, the Rafters remained within striking distance of the Peoria Javelinas in the West up until they were mathematically eliminated earlier this week.

The Desert Dogs, who finished with the league's worst batting average (.262), ended the season with an 11-17 record, while the Rafters finished 17-12, 2 1/2 games behind the Javelinas.

Ashley Marshall is a contributor to MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

-- Sparky Anderson
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2010 Arizona Fall League   2010 Arizona Fall League - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

2010 Arizona Fall League
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2