Always A Tiger
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
Always A Tiger
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
Always A Tiger
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Always A Tiger

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to learn and talk about their Favorite Baseball Team, as well as just enjoy one another's company.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Zach Simons NEWS

Go down 
AuthorMessage
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

Aries Location : Ohio

Zach Simons NEWS Empty
PostSubject: Zach Simons NEWS   Zach Simons NEWS Icon_minitimeFri Mar 05, 2010 10:10 pm

reserved for player profile
Back to top Go down
https://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

Zach Simons NEWS Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zach Simons NEWS   Zach Simons NEWS Icon_minitimeFri Mar 05, 2010 10:11 pm

JON PAUL MOROSI'S BLOG
Rookie mistake leaves Tigers prospect without change of clothes

BY JON PAUL MOROSI • FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER • March 11, 2009

JUPITER, Fla. – The Tigers have rarely taken overnight trips during spring training. This week’s journey to South Florida – Marlins on Monday, Cardinals on Tuesday – was the first of its kind since 2005, when Alan Trammell was the Detroit manager.

So, players can be forgiven if they’re not entirely familiar with the protocol. Rookies, especially.

Consider the case of Zach Simons, a 23-year-old relief pitcher who spent last year at Class A.

A few days ago, he saw his name on the travel roster for Monday’s game. He figured that he would travel to Jupiter, pitch against the Marlins and return to Lakeland that night. (The Tigers had two buses on the trip – one that stayed and one that went back.)

It seems that Simons missed an important detail: Those pitchers who did not appear on Monday were expected to stay overnight and be available for Tuesday’s game.

Simons became aware of this information after Monday’s game as he was about to leave the clubhouse and board the bus … and long after the time had passed to pack a bag.

“I had nothing,” Simons said in the clubhouse on Tuesday morning. “I got a toothbrush at the front desk. I’m wearing the same clothes I wore yesterday.”

A clubhouse worker was the one who told Simons he would be staying behind.

“He was grabbing my bag, and I said, ‘Hey, man, are you going to throw that on the bus?’” Simons recalled. “He said, ‘You’re staying.’ I was ready to go back. I had my tee time set for today.”

Alas, Simons didn’t pitch on Tuesday, either. But he wasn’t upset about making the longer-than-expected trip.

“I’m just happy to be wearing a major league uniform,” he said, as he walked toward the bus.

This time, he didn’t need to turn back.
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

Zach Simons NEWS Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zach Simons NEWS   Zach Simons NEWS Icon_minitimeFri Mar 05, 2010 10:12 pm

Zach Simons NEWS Simons20Zach_display_image

Prospect Chronicles: 10 Detroit Tigers Who Could Make an Impact in 2010

Johnny Lawrence
Featured Columnist
Correspondent - BLEACHER REPORT

9. Zach Simons, RHP, Age 24

Highest Level: AAA (Toledo)
Acquired: 2008 (Trade with Colorado)
40-Man Roster: No

Currently, four players born in Idaho suit up for MLB teams. Simons could become the fifth if Detroit gives him a summer audition.

The Tigers netted Simons when they shipped super villain Jason Grilli to Colorado last April. A former second round pick, he has flourished since being moved out of the rotation. Better suited in the bullpen, Simons has posted two seasons of sub-3.00 ERA baseball since.

Management can't ignore such progress forever.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Zach Simons NEWS Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zach Simons NEWS   Zach Simons NEWS Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Zach Simons NEWS
Page 1 of 1