Always A Tiger
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.

Always A Tiger

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to learn and talk about their Favorite Baseball Team, as well as just enjoy one another's company.

HomePortalFAQSearchRegisterLog in
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Share | 

Andrew Miller Career Tracker

Go down 
AuthorMessage
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star

Aries Location : Ohio

PostSubject: Andrew Miller Career Tracker   Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:45 pm

Andrew Miller (baseball)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Andrew Mark Miller (born May 21, 1985, in Gainesville, Florida) is a pitcher for the Florida Marlins. He was the first player drafted in 2006 to make the major leagues.

College

After attending Buchholz High School in Gainesville, Miller pitched for the University of North Carolina, where he went 27-9. In his third and final year, he went 13-2 with a 2.48 ERA, leading the Tar Heels to the College World Series and to the national championship game, in which they lost to Oregon State. This southpaw dominated college hitters with his fastball (mid to upper 90s) and a devastating slider. Compared often to a young Randy Johnson, Miller stands 6'6" and is one of the top up and coming youngsters in the nation.

Miller was named 2006 College Player Of The Year by Baseball America. He also won the 2006 Roger Clemens Award.

MLB draft

Before deciding to play college baseball in North Carolina, Miller was drafted by the Tampa Bay Devil Rays in third round (68th overall) of the 2003 MLB Amateur Entry Draft. He was drafted again in 2006, this time 6th overall by the Detroit Tigers, and agreed to a contract with a guaranteed value of $5.45 million and a signing bonus of $3.55 million on August 4, 2006.

Minor leagues

Miller had a very brief stint in the minor leagues before getting called up to the Major Leagues. He made his pro debut on August 20, 2006 with the high-A Lakeland Tigers against the Fort Myers Miracle, striking out two batters and allowing no baserunners in one inning. His stint with Lakeland lasted less than a week, as he pitched his third and final outing six days later, once again against the Miracle. After five scoreless innings in three outings, he was called up to the major leagues.

Major leagues

Scouting report

Andrew Miller is widely regarded as the best pitcher in the 2006 draft which was laden with quality pitchers. His pitches include a mid to upper 90s fastball, a late-breaking slider and a change-up. His development should progress nicely in the major leagues after he acquires a better change-up and location to his pitches.[citation needed]

Miller made his major league debut on August 30 against the New York Yankees, pitching one scoreless inning and allowing only one baserunner on a hit by pitch.

While Miller did not make the opening day roster for the Tigers, he made his first major league start May 18, 2007 versus the St. Louis Cardinals in place of injured starter Jeremy Bonderman. Miller earned his first major league victory in his season debut, pitching 6 scoreless innings and giving up 4 hits while walking 3 and striking out 2. Miller showed his full potential in this game but he was sent back to the Minors as Bonderman recovered from injury. Miller was later recalled while Nate Robertson was sent to the disabled list with arm fatigue. He earned a 15-7 victory over the New York Mets behind another superb offensive backing by his teammates. As of June 24th, 2007 Miller's best game pitched was a six inning performance in Atlanta allowing 4 hits and no runs while also striking out two batters and walking two ending in a 5-0 Tigers victory

On December 4, 2007, the Tigers traded Miller, Cameron Maybin, Mike Rabelo, Dallas Trahern, Eulogio de la Cruz and Burke Badenhop to the Florida Marlins for Dontrelle Willis and Miguel Cabrera.[1]

"If you have to choose between power and speed and it often turns out you have to make that choice, you've got to go for speed." Source: TV Guide Interview (April 3, 1982)
-- Sparky Anderson
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Andrew Miller Career Tracker   Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:53 pm

North Carolina Tar Heels

Andrew Miller

Class: Senior
Hometown: Gainesville, Fla.
High School: Buchholz
Height / Weight: 6-6 / 210
Position: LHP
B/T: R/L

GENERAL
No. 6 overall pick in the 2006 MLB Draft by the Detroit Tigers • Baseball America National Player of the Year and Roger Clemens Award winner as nation's top collegiate pitcher • Finalist for the Golden Spikes Award • Semifinalist for the Dick Howser Trophy and Brooks Wallace Award • Collegiate Baseball, Baseball America, NCBWA and Rivals.com first-team All-America • Set Carolina single-season (133) and career strikeout records (325) • Also third in Tar Heels' history with 27 wins and fourth in innings with 309.

AS A JUNIOR (2006)
Had one of the finest seasons in Carolina baseball history and became just the third Tar Heel to earn national player of the year honors • Baseball America National Player of the Year and Roger Clemens Award winner • Recognized as a first-team All-America by virtually every major outlet • ACC Pitcher of the Year and first-team All-ACC selection • Won 13 of 18 starts and lost just twice • Was just the second 13-game winner at Carolina and first since 1978 • Allowed 34 earned runs in 123.1 innings for a 2.48 ERA • Set Carolina's single-season strikeout record with 133 • Struck out 10-plus batters five times in 2006 and nine times in his career • Went six-plus innings in 16 of 18 starts and worked at least seven innings in 11 of his last 16 starts • Posted four shutout performances of six or more innings this season and allowed just 12 extra-base hits all year • Went 5-1 with a 1.27 ERA in six starts against nationally-ranked opponents in the regular season • 8-1 with a 1.94 ERA in ACC regular season play • Earned the Carolina career strikeout record with 325 and finished third with 27 victories • Named ACC Pitcher of the Week March 27, April 3 and May 22 • Struck out nine in 7.1 innings in a no-decision against No. 2 Cal State Fullerton in his first College World Series start • Came back to earn first career save in the Tar Heels' second win over the Titans • Allowed three runs and struck out five in five innings against No. 4 Oregon State in game one of the Championship Series • Fanned 17 in 15 innings in his first two NCAA Tournament wins • Struck out 11 and walked just one over seven innings in a Super Regional win at No. 4 Alabama June 9 • Held the Tide to just five hits and two unearned runs • Picked up first career postseason win versus Winthrop June 3 after allowing four runs and striking out six in eight-plus innings • Allowed just two hits over eight innings to beat Boston College May 18 to become Carolina's first 11-game winner since 1995 • Fanned 11 Eagle batters to set the school career strikeout mark and earned ACC Pitcher of the Week honors for the third time following this start • Allowed just one earned and struck out eight at No. 9 Virginia May 12 but suffered first loss of the season • Became the Tar Heels' first 10-game winner since 2000 with a victory at Duke April 28 • Allowed just three runs on five hits over 8.1 innings against No. 7 NC State April 21 • Gave up just five hits and no earned runs over eight innings versus Virginia Tech April 14 • Picked up win No. 7 after allowing just two earned runs on five hits over six innings at No. 14 Miami April 7 • Held No. 1 Florida State scoreless on four hits over seven innings March 31 • Struck out nine Seminoles and had just one ball hit in the air en route to the fourth conference pitching honor in his career • Also named ACC POW after striking out a career-best 13 batters over seven shutout innings against No. 4 Georgia Tech March 24 • Allowed just four hits and one walk versus the Jackets • Allowed just one unearned run and three hits in eight innings at Wake Forest March 12 • Notched 10 strikeouts over seven innings in a win over Purdue March 5 • Struck out 11 in seven shutout innings in a win against George Washington Feb. 26 • Allowed just two hits with none coming after the third inning • Went six shutout innings with nine strikeouts in a season-opening win over Seton Hall Feb. 19 • Surpassed the 200-strikeout mark for his career against the Pirates.

AS A SOPHOMORE (2005)

One of the nation's top starting pitchers and Carolina's Friday starter for much of the season • Earned second-team All-ACC honors for the second straight season • Posted an 8-4 record and a 2.98 earned run average in 96.2 innings • Made 16 starts • Struck out 104 batters, which ranks as the seventh-best total in Tar Heel history and the most since 1995 • Limited opponents to a .230 batting average • Led the ACC with 9.68 strikeouts per nine innings and was fifth in innings per start (6.04), sixth in opponent batting average and seventh in ERA • Issued 52 walks and hit 19 batters, including seven against Virginia April 1 • Semifinalist for the Xanthus-Dick Howser Trophy and named to watch lists for the Brooks Wallace Award, Roger Clemens Award and Golden Spikes Award • Named preseason second-team All-America by Baseball America and preseason third-team All-America by Collegiate Baseball • Also selected midseason second-team All-America by Baseball America • Earned ACC Pitcher of the Week honors Feb. 28 and March 21 • Carried no-hitters into the sixth inning versus both Birmingham Southern and Clemson • Allowed only one earned run over his first three starts - wins over Appalachian State, UNC Wilmington and Birmingham Southern - and gave up just three earned runs over his first seven starts • Opened the season 7-0 • Fanned a career-high 12 batters in a no-decision versus Arizona State March 4 • Followed a win at Virginia Tech with 11 strikeouts and just two hits allowed over seven innings at Clemson March 18 • Struck out eight and did not allow an earned run in a March 25 win over Wake Forest • Fanned 10 and surrendered just two hits over seven shutout innings at Maryland April 8 • Struck out nine over seven innings to earn final win of the season against Duke April 22 • Pitched well in losses to Wake Forest at the ACC Tournament and to Florida in his hometown of Gainesville in the NCAA Regional. Summer 2005: Pitched with the Chatham A's of the Cape Cod League • Named the College Summer Player of the Year by Baseball America and rated as the No. 1 prospect in the Cape by the publication • Selected by scouts as the winner of the Robert A. McNeece Outstanding Pro Prospect Award and shared the league's B.F.C. Whitehouse Outstanding Pitching Award • Named to the league's All-Star Game for the second straight season • Was 6-0 with a 1.65 ERA • Fanned 66 batters in just 49 innings • Made eight starts.

AS A FRESHMAN (2004)
One of the country's top freshman hurlers • Picked up second-team All-ACC honors and was named to Baseball America's All-Freshman second team • Led the Tar Heel starters with a 2.93 earned run average and posted a 6-3 record • Fanned a team-best 88 batters in 89.0 innings • Limited the opposition to a .202 batting average, which led the ACC • Made 15 starts and three relief appearances on the season • Ranked third in the ACC in ERA and fifth with 8.90 strikeouts per nine innings • Fired six shutout innings versus Gardner-Webb in his first collegiate start on February 25 • Also tossed 5.2 shutout innings versus UNC Asheville on March 9 • Struggled with his control early in the season but made the jump to the weekend rotation for the California series (March 14) • Allowed just one earned run and struck out eight in 6.1 innings against Clemson on April 18 • Tossed seven shutout innings at Duke on April 25 • Fanned a season-best 11 batters and gave up just three hits in eight shutout innings at No. 2 Miami on May 16 • Threw his first career complete game, allowing just two runs and striking out seven, against Duke in the ACC Tournament on May 28 • Recorded six games with at least six strikeouts. Summer 2004: Pitched for the Chatham A's of the Cape Cod League • Named the league's No. 1 Major League prospect by Baseball America • Went 2-0 with a 2.03 ERA and earned a spot in the league's all-star game • Fanned 48 batters in 40 innings • In a game called by fog, struck out 12 batters in four innings • Struck out the side on 15 pitches in the all-star game.

BUCHHOLZ HIGH SCHOOL
Third round (63rd overall) draft pick of the Tampa Bay Devil Rays out of Buchholz High School in Gainesville, Fla. • Florida Gatorade Player of the Year as a senior • Also earned preseason and postseason high school All-America honors in 2003 • First-team all-state choice as a senior after earning third-team honors his junior season • Honor Roll student.

PERSONAL
Andrew Mark Miller is the son of David and Kim Miller • Born May 21, 1985, in Gainesville, Fla. • Majoring in business administration • Favorite athlete is Maria Sharapova • Favorite pro teams are the Florida Marlins and Jacksonville Jaguars • Has modeled his game after Tony Stewart • Favorite movie is "Days of Thunder" • Lists "The DaVinci Code" as his favorite book • Enjoys playing golf • Favorite food is steak and favorite way to pass time on bus trips is by playing Uno • Uncle Dan Miller played football at the University of Miami and in the USFL and NFL.

"If you have to choose between power and speed and it often turns out you have to make that choice, you've got to go for speed." Source: TV Guide Interview (April 3, 1982)
-- Sparky Anderson
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Andrew Miller Career Tracker   Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:59 pm

ANDREW MILLER: 'I'll Miss Detroit'

December 6, 2007

Edward Donaldson and Jack Plaschke of 1070 AM talked with Andrew Miller Wednesday. Here is the Q & A.

Welcome to Flordia, what do you think?

I’m disappointed, very disappointed. Part of the reason I forwent my senior year at UNC was to have the chance to play with a class organization that would be contending for a long time. If I would have known this would happen I'd have stayed in school.

When are you coming down to Miami?

Well I'm in Lakeland now. They've got pretty nice facilities here. I'm a native Floridian but I never really cared much for Miami. I'll probably just stay home for a while. I just have to keep my head up and remember - it's a business.

Have you talked to Maybin?

Yes I have. He's excited. He wants to play now and he knew he wasn't going to get that opportunity in Detroit. He said he has a long career ahead of him so he's not really worried about where he plays right now, he just wants to play.

Have you though about pitching in the NL?

Well, it'll be a hair easier I suppose but I'd prefer to be pitching in Detroit. For one, I'm a terrible hitter and it scares me to death to think I have to hit every start. Also, it's worth giving up a few extra runs in the AL. I mean look at that lineup I had in Detroit. I could give up 7 runs and still win. My first few starts they scored 10 plus runs or something. It was crazy. With all due respect, this lineup in Florida is a lot less potent. I mean I'm the highest paid player on the team. That tells you something right there.

What does it mean to be pitching to Mike Rabelo?

Well I like Mike but he's still learning, too. Rabelo all the sudden has to be a veteran for us and that's a little scary. Rodriguez helped me out a lot, I preferred pitching to him. Rabelo is a friend of mine and we live near each other down in Florida but he just doesn't have enough experience to help me out all that much.

Does being the Number one starter and highest paid player tack on some some pressure?

Well of course it does. I mean, I'm twenty-two years old for crying out loud. The fans in Florida know they gave up some great players and they're going to ask a lot from me. I almost feel like I have to be an All-Star this year and if I'm not I'm going to upset a lot of people. I think I can be successful but I'm not sure I'm ready to be an ace of a staff, even this one.

Talk about the approach of a pitcher when your everyday lineup has so many young, unproven players.

Well I know I have to be real perfect. I mean in Detroit I knew not only I had a heck of an offense behind me but when I was pitching they were great. I mean Rodriguez and Polanco won gold gloves, Granderson was robbed of one, and I've heard some sabermetric people arguing Brandon Inge should have won one, too. I don't know a whole lot about my new team yet but I don't think they have that kind of defensive ability - not at this stage of their careers at least. I feel like I'm going to have to strike out 20 guys every day just to have a chance. That's just not a realistic expectation.

What do you know about Dolphin Stadium?

The name says it all. This is a football town. Even as bad a team as the Dolphins have right now, they're what 0-10 [they're actually 0-12] it's still the number one team here. I'm sure the hundreds of fan here will be great but in Detroit we were sold out every time I took the mound. That really helps me pitch. Even on the road it was always sold out. People want to see the Tigers. They don't want to see the Marlins. I grew up in Florida, nobody here cares about this team.

Do you have any final thoughts
Well, I'm just a little upset about how this whole thing went down. I mean I was working out and my girlfriend calls and said she saw on TV I had been traded. I almost cried. I loved Detroit, it's people, it's culture, everything. Miami is closer to home, but I wanted to get away from home for a while.

I kept hearing from the Tigers how they had all these plans for me and I was so excited about the future. Now what's the future hold? I might as well not even unpack. Either I'll fail here and never play major league baseball again, or I'll have success and be gone in a couple years. Nothing personal, but this is probably the worst place to be right now.

It's a tough pill to swallow but the old saying goes 'what doesn't kill you can only make you stronger'. I hope this doesn't kill me. I'll be putting that theory to the test I guess.

One final thing - for the Tigers and their fans - I wish you guys all the best. I feel I was wronged, but I'd go back in a heartbeat. I'd even take a pay cut.

Thank you for your time and good luck this season.

Thank you.

-- Sparky Anderson
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Andrew Miller Career Tracker   Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:07 pm

05/11/2008 1:10 PM ET
Miller making strides in benchmark win
Lefty's career-high innings, strikeouts show front-end promise
By Joe Frisaro / MLB.com

WASHINGTON -- What they saw on Saturday night is a glimpse of what Andrew Miller is capable of building upon.

Miller turned in his finest outing of the season in beating the Nationals, 11-0, at Nationals Park.

The 6-foot-6 left-hander tossed seven scoreless innings, while scattering two hits and striking out seven. His innings and strikeout totals matched career highs.

Now that makes two straight starts that Miller has gone at least six innings, and he's won both contests.

A former first-round pick, Miller is regarded as a lefty with tremendous upside. His raw ability can be special, and shades of that showed when he improved to 3-2 on the season.

One of the marquee names in the offseason trade with Detroit, Miller will turn 23 on May 21. If he keeps taking steps forward, the Marlins can feel confident that they have a special front-line starter.

This ability will eventually come in steps, and completing seven innings marked progress for a lefty whom many believed should have been optioned to the Minor Leagues a few weeks ago to polish up some rough edges.

Still, to be a front-of-the-rotation performer, Miller knows he has to work at least seven innings.

"That's obviously the goal," he said. "I want to go out there and save the bullpen. You don't want to use them too early."

Early on Saturday, going deep appeared to be a struggle. He used 28 pitches to get out of the first inning. But he settled, and ended up tossing a career-high 103. What was encouraging was the fact he walked just one, and allowed two hits. He had a stretch of retiring 14 straight batters until Felipe Lopez's one-out single in the sixth inning.

"I threw a lot of pitches per hitter, but keeping the hits down and keeping the walks down allowed me to go deeper into the game," said Miller, who more effectively integrated his changeup than in past starts. "I hope that I can mix that and be more aggressive with hitters, and I will be even better."

Even in the first inning, where he threw a lot of pitches, catcher Matt Treanor felt the lefty was going to be fine.

"In the first inning, I didn't even feel like it was going to be an issue," Treanor said. "I know he threw a lot of pitches, but I felt like he was still going to get on track, and pitch well. Every inning after that, he got better and better, and he was on cruise control."

Manager Fredi Gonzalez cautions that Miller remains a work in progress.

"We have to be patient with him," Gonzalez said.

If Saturday was what Miller is capable of throwing on a regular basis, then some patience may end up being worth the wait.

Joe Frisaro is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

-- Sparky Anderson
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Andrew Miller Career Tracker   Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:08 pm

05/22/2008 11:34 PM ET

Box >

Gem for Miller as Marlins finish sweep
Left-hander sets career high for strikeouts with nine in finale
By Joe Frisaro / MLB.com

MIAMI -- Sweeping the National League's best team is tough enough, but to tag losses on their top starting pitchers is clearly something the upstart Marlins can build upon.

As the Fish continued to stun the baseball world, Andrew Miller turned in a career-high nine strikeouts over seven scoreless innings and the Marlins blanked the Diamondbacks, 4-0, on Thursday night before 13,233 at Dolphin Stadium.

Miller, the former first-round pick of the Tigers in 2006, frustrated the NL West-leading Diamondbacks, limiting them to five hits on the day after his 23rd birthday.

Miller (4-3), Logan Kensing and Justin Miller combined to shut out Arizona for the first time this season.

Making the sweep more impressive is Florida beat Micah Owings (5-2), Brandon Webb (9-1) and Dan Haren (5-3). Haren took the loss on Thursday.

"That's a pretty good pitching staff they threw at us," Marlins manager Fredi Gonzalez said. "They pitched well, and we matched those guys. They didn't pitch horrible. They pitched pretty good themselves. We played pretty good defense. Nobody made mistakes, and we got timely hitting when we needed to."

Miller, a 6-foot-6 lefty with limitless potential, showed why many feel he will eventually blossom into an elite starter.

In the series, Florida's starters -- Mark Hendrickson, Ricky Nolasco and Miller -- combined to yield two runs in 19 innings, an 0.95 ERA.

Now 27-19, the Marlins recorded their fifth shutout of the season.

"It's a lot of fun, I know that, but it also gives this whole team confidence, and it builds our character," said veteran Wes Helms, who had a pinch-hit two-run double that broke the game open in the seventh inning. "It shows this team that we can do big things. We can't just beat the small teams, we can beat the big teams. We've shown that all year this year.

"This was a big series for us, confidence wise."

The Marlins racked up their fourth three-game sweep of the season, two of which have come at home.

For Miller, it was another step in his maturation process. Making his 10th start of the season, the left-hander repeatedly frustrated the Diamondbacks.

On five of his nine strikeouts, he caught Arizona batters looking. And on a number of occasions, the Diamondbacks were upset with home plate umpire Damien Beal's strike zone.

From the dugout, Diamondbacks manager Bob Melvin had words on a couple of occasions with Beal.

Miller remained composed throughout, mixing off-speed pitches at 77 mph with fastballs topping at 96 mph. His devastating curve kept hitters off balance, allowing him to zip in fastballs.

"I was able to throw to both sides of the plate on a pretty regular basis," said Miller, who has won four of his last five decisions after a slow start. "That's when you get guys frustrated. If you throw to the same spot all night, they can kind of lock in on an area.

"That's a good sign when you are on the mound, and they're complaining about calls. Obviously that means they're not comfortable. I love it when people complain about a call. It means that I've got something that probably was not a strike, or they were not seeing something there."

As the Diamondbacks exhibited frustration, Miller kept rolling along, matching his career high for innings pitched.

"He did everything we wanted to achieve," catcher Matt Treanor said. "He's been getting better and better with each start. He's thinking. He's trying to figure things out when he's out there. He's improving every time out.

"He knew that if he pitched his game, he'd get some swings and bad contact."

At one point, Gonzalez asked Treanor if Miller was throwing strikes or getting the benefit of calls.

"Even when they got into some hitter counts, they couldn't get good hacks at him, because his ball is pretty lively in that strike zone," Gonzalez said. "I talked to Matty [Treanor], and he was like, 'Those are some pretty good pitches. They're not four or five inches off the plate. They're strikes.' They don't get good reads on it, and they don't get good swings on it."

With the way Miller was throwing, the Marlins didn't need much offense, and Florida struck quickly off Haren.

Hanley Ramirez returned to the leadoff spot for the first time since May 1. He had been hitting third.

The switch paid off immediately. In the first inning, Ramirez tripled to right-center field. With the infield playing deep up the middle, Ramirez scored on Jorge Cantu's RBI groundout to second.

The Marlins padded their lead with a three-run seventh inning. Treanor singled with one out, and Alfredo Amezaga's third hit of the game, a single, put runners at the corners.

With Miller's pitch count at 107, Gonzalez sent in Wes Helms to pinch-hit. Helms came through with a double that scored two and ended Haren's night after 6 1/3 innings. Cantu added an RBI single off Chad Qualls.

About the only downside on Thursday was Dan Uggla went 0-for-4 and had his 11-game hitting streak snapped, which had been the longest active streak in the Major Leagues. The 11 games also matched a career high for the Florida second baseman.

Otherwise, it was an ideal evening that allowed the Marlins to continue to build their self-confidence.

"If we pitch and we catch it, we've got an opportunity to compete," Gonzalez said. "I'm not going to go out and say we're going to win 105 games or anything, but if we do those things, we've got a chance, every night."

Joe Frisaro is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

-- Sparky Anderson
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Andrew Miller Career Tracker   Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:12 pm

Thursday, July 17, 2008
Former Tiger Andrew Miller to be placed on DL
Associated Press

MIAMI -- Florida Marlins lefty Andrew Miller will be placed on the disabled list retroactive to Monday with right knee tendinitis.

The Marlins announced Thursday that Miller will be scratched from his scheduled Sunday start, and the team will make a move before Friday's game against the Philadelphia Phillies. The struggling Marlins pitcher is 5-9 with a 5.63 ERA this season.

Josh Johnson will now start Sunday instead of Monday, with Chris Volstad going Monday instead of Tuesday.

Miller, part of the offseason trade that sent Miguel Cabrera and Dontrelle Willis to Detroit, has been dealing with tendinitis in his knee since last season.

-- Sparky Anderson
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Andrew Miller Career Tracker   Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:13 pm

Friday, February 13, 2009
Tony Paul: Covering the Bases
Former Tiger Miller hopes to stay afloat

Andrew Miller is arriving at Marlins camp with a whole new attitude -- and a whole new delivery. The former first-round pick by the Tigers has completely altered his pitching motion with the hopes it takes stress off his ailing right knee and curtails some of his wildness.

And the Marlins are praying it works. After all, they don't have an immediate backup plan for their left-handed rotation presence after shipping Kalamazoo native Scott Olsen to the Nationals this offseason.

"Cross our fingers the knee is still healthy," Marlins president Larry Beinfest told the Palm Beach Post earlier this month. "Mark (Wiley, pitching coach) has done a lot of work with the delivery. Hopefully, this will be it, things will pop for him and he'll be what we think he can be, which is really good and dominant at times."

Miller, 23, made 20 starts for the Marlins last year, but none after a July 13 shellacking by the Dodgers. He went on the disabled list shortly thereafter because of knee tendinitis, and when he returned in September, he was used exclusively out of the bullpen.

In all, the 6-foot-6 string bean was 6-10 with a 5.87 ERA. Opponents batted .289 against him (right-handers .307), but perhaps most troubling were the 56 walks in just 107 1/3 innings.

"Lots of ups and downs. I hit a pretty good stride for a while. It kind of got frustrating there at the end and I got to the point where I couldn't battle through my knee anymore," Miller said in the Palm Beach Post report. "I want to make my 35 starts. I want to start every game and see what I can do in that situation. I haven't had that opportunity."

Miller, who's also reportedly sporting a new look -- a goatee and a tighter-cropped haircut -- to go with his new delivery, was 5-6 in his two seasons in Detroit. He was traded last offseason in the blockbuster deal that brought Miguel Cabrera and Dontrelle Willis to Detroit.

The other prized prospect dealt in that deal, Cameron Maybin, 21, is projected as the Marlins' Opening Day center fielder.

-- Sparky Anderson
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Andrew Miller Career Tracker   Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:14 pm

03/10/09 2:07 PM ET
Miller's pitching makeover progresses
Reviving sinker, left-hander hurls successful simulated game

By Joe Frisaro / MLB.com

JUPITER, Fla. -- Add another objective to Andrew Miller's Spring Training.

In the process of adjusting to a more simplified delivery, Miller also is trying to regain the touch on his two-seam fastball -- or sinker.

It's a pitch that was effective for him in college at the University of North Carolina. It's a pitch he threw early in his Minor League career when he was in the Tigers system. But the last few years, it's a pitch he hasn't thrown much, if at all.

"I'm trying to work on my two-seamer, a pitch that completely disappeared the last couple of years," Miller said on Tuesday. "I threw a lot of them today. I threw some good ones and some really bad ones, but that's what today was really for."

Tuesday was technically an off-day for the Marlins. But on Field Two behind Roger Dean Stadium, the 6-foot-7 left-hander tossed 65 pitches in a simulated game against Minor League hitters.

There were no fielders behind him. Instead, pitching coach Mark Wiley was positioned in back of the mound, protected by a screen.

The close view gave Wiley a chance to talk directly to Miller, who continues to undergo a pitching makeover in his mechanics from last year.

"A lot of times I don't do that," Wiley said of being so close to the pitcher. "Today, because it was a simulated thing, I wanted to be able to say certain things to him, sort of subtle things. I told him some pitches I wanted him to throw and where I wanted him to throw.

"He threw some good changeups today. His changeup is getting better. Every one of them was on the plate where the hitter had to make a decision, which is really good."

The two-seam fastball, Wiley says, gives Miller another "challenge pitch." If he gains command of that pitch, which has downward movement, it will keep hitters from focusing on straight fastballs.

"When you get command of it, and you're behind in the count, and it is over the plate, it has a little more movement to it, as opposed to a straight fastball," Miller said.

Why did he abandon the two-seam fastball?

"I don't know. I just kind of got away from throwing it, and it hadn't been as good as it was in the past," Miller said. "I threw a lot of them in college, and a lot of them in Detroit in the Minor Leagues. I kind of got away from it for whatever reason in the big leagues."

Now, he's trying to bring it back.

"Every bullpen I throw, I'm working on it," he said. "Every time I throw, I try to figure out what I can do to get a better feel for it. I've just got to keep throwing it."

Foremost, the goal is to get Miller's refined delivery to the point where it feels natural. From there, specific pitches will come in time.

"He's working on a lot of stuff right now. He was pretty solid today," Wiley said.

Miller had been feeling sick the past few days, so he tired a bit late in his four inning simulated game.

The left-hander will next take the mound on Saturday, against the Twins in Fort Myers, Fla., and the focus will be to continue to build on what he's doing.

"With a guy like Andrew, who has had delivery issues and now we're kind of straightening him out, I told him: 'Believe me, if you keep practicing, it's going to get better and better,'" Wiley said. "'It's going to be much easier to make adjustments when you get out of whack. It will make it easier to make pitches when you've got to make pitches.'"

-- Sparky Anderson
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Andrew Miller Career Tracker   Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:14 pm

Sanchez to go before Miller in rotation
Lefty to begin season in Florida 'pen, get first start April 15

JUPITER, Fla. -- Everything is now in line as far the Marlins' rotation is concerned, as on Thursday, Florida manager Fredi Gonzalez put to rest speculation over who the team's fourth and fifth starters will be.

Anibal Sanchez will get the nod to pitch on April 10 against the New York Mets, Florida's fourth game.

"I'm happy and I'm excited to have a big year," said Sanchez, a Venezuela native who made 10 starts last year.

Left-hander Andrew Miller, meanwhile, will be the No. 5 starter. Miller will begin the season in the bullpen and not be sent to the Minor Leagues for a start. His first start will be April 15.

"[Miller] will be the long guy out of the 'pen," Gonzalez said. "He has thrown out of the 'pen before."

Because of early season off-days, Florida won't need a fifth starter until April 18. To give all five starters an extra day of rest, however, the team is slotting Miller in on April 15, when the Marlins are in Atlanta.

"I'm happy for him, too, because I didn't want him to go down [to the Minor Leagues]," Sanchez said. "He's thrown good in the spring. He should be with the team."

Miller will be available out of the bullpen until April 11. After that point, he will begin preparation for his first start.

Sanchez has one more Grapefruit League start lined up, on Saturday against the Blue Jays at Roger Dean Stadium. Miller is also expected to pitch in relief.

"Miller will be a middle, long reliever for a while," pitching coach Mark Wiley said. "We'll get him into some games."

A reason Sanchez is going in the rotation immediately ahead of Miller is because he is regaining his arm strength after 2007 right shoulder surgery. Sanchez had just one relief appearance in his MLB career, and that came when he was a rookie in 2006.

Sanchez entered Thursday with 29 2/3 innings of Grapefruit League action, the most of any Florida pitcher. The right-hander has a 1-2 spring mark with a 4.25 ERA, giving up 14 earned runs.

This spring, Miller has thrown 18 2/3 innings in Grapefruit League play, but he's also logged some innings in simulated games.

Miller is working on a new delivery and has added a changeup to his game. The extra few days before making his first start gives him more time to fine-tune his mechanics.

Last year, Miller threw out of the 'pen nine times to go with 20 starts.

The Marlins' rotation is Ricky Nolasco, Josh Johnson, Chris Volstad, Sanchez and Miller.

-- Sparky Anderson
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Andrew Miller Career Tracker   Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:15 pm

Miller excited to rejoin Marlins rotation
Florida (6-1) at Atlanta (5-2), 7:00 p.m. ET

By Joe Frisaro / MLB.com

04/15/09 12:19 AM ET

ATLANTA -- It's taken eight games, but the Marlins rotation is finally at full strength.

By design, it had been shorthanded. All that will change on Wednesday.

Because of two off-days since Opening Day, Florida had been going with a four-man rotation. In the second game with the Braves at Turner Field, left-hander Andrew Miller joins the mix.

After beating the Braves, 5-1, on Tuesday, the Marlins are in position to claim the three-game series.

Until now, Miller had been working out of the bullpen, logging two relief appearances and two innings.

"I look forward to going out there and giving a good start," Miller said. "I'm glad it's finally here. The bullpen is kind of a stressful place. You're on edge night after night. I like the routine of a starter."

Not that Miller is complaining, but he is a starter who was accepting a part-time bullpen role.

Marlins manager Fredi Gonzalez made the decision late in Spring Training to slot Anibal Sanchez as the fourth starter, and Miller in the fifth spot. The move was made in part because the team wanted to keep Sanchez, who is still getting back to form after right shoulder surgery in 2007, on a set schedule.

"I absolutely understood the reasoning. I wasn't at all surprised about it," Miller said. "I could see that coming. I'm here to work for the team. The team is not here to work for me. I do what they tell me to do."

For Miller, this is a big opportunity.

He last took the mound as a starter on July 13, 2008, at Dodger Stadium. The outing didn't go well, as he gave up seven runs in 1 2/3 innings in Florida's final game before the All-Star break.

After the break last year, Miller was placed on the disabled list with right patella tendinitis. When he was activated, he made nine appearances out of the bullpen.

In all, he had 20 starts last year. Over his career as a starter, Miller has a 10-14 (5.63 ERA) in 33 starts.

The strength of the Marlins is their young rotation -- Ricky Nolasco, Josh Johnson, Chris Volstad, Sanchez and Miller.

Miller wants to do his part in this talented group.

"I think so much is made out of the rotation as one piece," Miller said. "You can feed off it when things are going well and everybody goes on a roll. I know when I go out, and if I do my job, that's 20 percent of the equation. I want to do my part every fifth day, and basically make that a non-issue. I don't want people to say there is a soft spot, or 'this a game we have a chance to get 'em,' because I know the other guys are going to throw well."

Because Miller hasn't made a start since late in Spring Training, he will be on a pitch count between 85-100.

"I just want to go out and do my part, essentially," he said.

Pitching matchup
FLA: LHP Andrew Miller (0-0, 3.86 ERA)
Coming into his fourth season in the Major Leagues, Miller, the Marlins' No. 5 starter, will be making his first start of the year against the Braves. Last season, the 6-foot-7 23-year-old went 6-10 with a 5.87 ERA in 29 games -- 20 starts. Miller started the season in Florida's rotation, going 5-9 with a 5.63 ERA before landing on the 15-day disabled list with patella tendinitis in his right knee on July 18. After posting a 2.33 ERA in six rehab games, he was reinstated from his DL stint in September and finished off the season in the bullpen, giving up seven runs in 6 2/3 innings. The Gainesville, Fla., native is 2-0 with a miniscule 0.69 ERA in four career games against the Braves.

ATL: RHP Derek Lowe (1-0, 0.82 ERA)
Lowe opened the season by limiting the Phillies to two baserunners in eight innings. While not as dominant, he still proved to be impressive when he recorded six strikeouts and allowed the Nationals just one run in a three-inning effort that was halted because of a lengthy rain delay on Friday. He is 4-3 with a 4.59 ERA in eight career starts against the Marlins. During his only outing against them last year, he allowed six runs -- three earned -- and eight hits in five innings.

Tidbits
Dan Uggla, with three RBIs on Tuesday, has 38 on his career vs. Atlanta. ... Jorge Cantu, who hasn't started since last Saturday, is hopeful of returning to the lineup. Cantu is resting a bruised left hand. ... The average age of the Marlins rotation is 24.6 years of age. That's the youngest in the National League. The A's rotation is the youngest in the Major Leagues -- 23.6 years. ... Cameron Maybin's family was at the game on Tuesday, making the trip from their home in North Carolina. ... Emilio Bonifacio scored two more runs on Tuesday, giving him 11 on the season. ... Hanley Ramirez swiped his first base of the season on Tuesday.

-- Sparky Anderson
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Andrew Miller Career Tracker   Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:15 pm

Marlins place Miller on 15-day DL
Young left-hander dealing with right oblique strain

By Jonathan Mayo / MLB.com

04/20/09 11:37 PM ET

PITTSBURGH -- Neither pitcher nor manager was making any excuses, but it does seem like there was some explanation for Andrew Miller's ineffectiveness on the mound. The Marlins placed the left-hander on the 15-day disabled list with a right oblique strain following his shaky outing against the Pirates at PNC Park on Monday night.

Right-hander Burke Badenhop of Triple-A New Orleans will travel to Pittsburgh on Tuesday morning to fill Miller's roster spot. Badenhop can either start or offer long relief.

Miller evidently first tweaked the muscle in a relief outing against the Mets on April 11. He made his first start of the year on April 15 in Atlanta, giving up four runs over 4 2/3 innings. He had the same line against the Pirates on Monday, prompting the Marlins to make the move. Florida will call up a pitcher to replace Miller on the 25-man roster, but the club was not ready to disclose that name following the 8-0 loss to Pittsburgh.

"It's a little thing, but it just hasn't gotten any better for him," Marlins manager Fredi Gonzalez explained. "His arm is great, and instead of putting him in a situation where he could hurt his arm, it's better off to back off for 15 days and get him fixed up."

Miller felt the muscle tighten up during his start against the Braves, but he thought it had improved enough in the ensuing days that the worst was behind him. The cold, damp climate in Pittsburgh probably didn't help, but instead of continuing to move forward, it tightened up on him again.

"I made that [relief] appearance and I knew I was coming into the rotation, so I got a lot of treatment," said Miller, who is 0-1 with a 6.94 ERA. "At the Atlanta game, it was pretty tight again. Then it felt so much better every day building up to this, the confidence I had about the muscle going in was that it'd be a little bit of a factor, but I should have no problems pitching through it. By the next one, it should be gone at the rate I thought it was healing. It's not an excuse for some of the pitches I made, but it's just not getting better right now."

Miller had a drop in velocity during his start against the Pirates, a sign the oblique must have been affecting his pitching. Reaching back for that something extra and it not being there can be detrimental to a pitcher's success.

"I felt I didn't have that second gear when I wanted to put somebody away or when I wanted to throw the ball a little bit harder," Miller said. "I felt I was pitching essentially at 80-85 percent."

"I think sometimes you can't power balls the way you want to," Gonzalez concurred. "He was pitching [Monday] at 86-87 mph, and he's usually at 90-92. We can't skip him in the rotation, so we need to use somebody there."

It wasn't immediately clear if that somebody would be the callup from the Minor Leagues. It's possible a reliever will be recalled and someone with starting experience, like Hayden Penn, could be slated into the rotation while Miller is on the mend.

"Whoever we call up is going to help us [on Tuesday]," Gonzalez said. "We'll see what happens with his turn in the rotation."

Jonathan Mayo is a reporter for MLB.com. Reporter Joe Frisaro contributed to this story. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

-- Sparky Anderson
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Andrew Miller Career Tracker   Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:16 pm

Miller, Marlins top Giants on rainy night
Lefty retires first 12 batters; Cantu, Paulino deliver key hits

By David Villavicencio / MLB.com

06/06/09 10:55 PM ET

Box >

MIAMI -- A rainy Saturday night could not wash out the Marlins as they evened the series against the Giants with a 5-4 victory at Land Shark Stadium.

For the second successive day, the start of the Marlins and Giants game was delayed. The first pitch was delayed 84 minutes and there was an unofficial delay that lasted 21 minutes before the start of the sixth inning. However, the 16,294 fans in attendance watched a solid start from Andrew Miller and a stellar offensive performance from Hanley Ramirez.

The Marlins loaded the bases in the first and were unable to score, but two innings later, Ramirez's double off the big scoreboard in left field scored Chris Coghlan from second. Two batters later, Dan Uggla doubled to send Ramirez home and give Florida a 2-0 lead.

Miller threw four innings of perfect baseball before Bengie Molina doubled to left-center field to open the fifth. Pablo Sandoval then reached on an error by Emilio Bonifacio and, after a Juan Uribe strikeout, Andres Torres doubled to tie the game at 2.

Florida came right back and took the lead in the bottom of the fifth, when Jorge Cantu doubled to left to drive home Ramirez. The Marlins shortstop hit his second double of the game a few pitches before Cantu doubled him home to regain the lead.

Ronny Paulino gave his starter some more support. Florida's catcher hit a two-out double down the left-field line off reliever Justin Miller gave Florida a three-run lead. A former Marlin, Miller supplanted Giants starter Jonathan Sanchez after 4 2/3 innings. Sanchez allowed five runs on eight hits while striking out seven.

After 2 1/3 innings of excellent relief by Badenhop, closer Matt Lindstrom struggled in the ninth and was relieved by Leo Nuñez, who allowed a two-run double before closing it out.

David Villavicencio is an associate reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
MLB.com Comments

-- Sparky Anderson
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Andrew Miller Career Tracker   Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:16 pm

Miller headed to Arizona Fall League
Rangy left-hander to work out kinks after rough '09 with Marlins

By Joe Frisaro / MLB.com

10/12/09 11:23 AM ET

MIAMI -- Relying so heavily on youth, the Marlins understand the importance of patience.

Not every player is a finished product when they take the field for the first time. Granted, the organization has been spoiled when it has seen immediate success out of players like Hanley Ramirez and Josh Johnson.

In the case of Andrew Miller, the 24-year-old continues to go through some growing pains.

Still, the organization sees a tremendously gifted player who is looking to put it all together.

The 6-foot-7 former first-round Draft pick is coming off a rough season. He dealt with a demotion to Triple-A New Orleans in July, and then a Minor League disabled list stint due to a right ankle injury. When he returned to the roster, he was used in a relief role.

Miller finished 3-5 with a 4.84 ERA in 20 games, with 14 of them starts.

In hopes of getting Miller on track, the Marlins have sent the lefty to the Arizona Fall League, where he will pitch for the Mesa Solar Sox.

"I've been given a lot of opportunities. I haven't necessarily taken them and run with them yet," Miller said. "But I still think I'm young. I think I have plenty of time to hopefully keep working towards that goal."

When the Marlins acquired Miller from the Tigers in 2007, they were hopeful that he would be a top-of-the-rotation starter. In the blockbuster deal for Miguel Cabrera and Dontrelle Willis, the Marlins received Miller, outfielder Cameron Maybin, pitcher Burke Badenhop and three other prospects.

Thus far, Miller's first two years with the Marlins have been a struggle. He's a combined 9-15 with a 5.43 ERA in 49 games with 34 starts.

Miller opened 2009 as the Marlins' fifth starter, and he will be given a chance to win a rotation spot in Spring Training.

The history of the game is replete with examples of pitchers who took a while to put it all together.

Randy Johnson, who broke into the big leagues with the Montreal Expos in 1988, labored a couple of seasons and was dealt to Seattle. In 1990, at age 26, Johnson had his first breakthrough season, going 14-11 (3.65) in 33 starts.

Sandy Koufax was 25 when he broke out with an 18-13 season for the Dodgers in 1961.

Not to say Miller's career will at all mirror those of Johnson or Koufax, but they, too, took a while before experiencing consistent big league success.

Like the 6-foot-10 Johnson, Miller is a rangy left-hander who has dealt with command issues early in his career.

An objective in the Fall League is to get Miller some innings while having him refine his delivery.

"I think there are some mechanical problems that are hampering me from throwing pitches where I want to," Miller said. "It's just a process. You have to figure it out as you go."

Because he was optioned to the Minor Leagues in July, and spent time on the disabled list, he was limited to 80 innings at the big league level. For the Zephyrs, he made three starts and was 1-2 with a 7.71 ERA.

And his total Minor League innings, counting some rehab appearances, was 28 2/3. So, he finished 2009 with a total of 108 2/3 innings.

Miller also had limited work in 2008, finishing with 107 1/3 innings with the Marlins, plus another 19 1/3 innings in the Minor Leagues.

The Fall League will give him a chance to build up some innings.

"I haven't thrown that much in general," Miller said. "I've got some things that I'm working on mechanically. In general, my ultimate goal is to throw more strikes.

"It hasn't been easy. I don't think I expected it to be. It is what it is. You try to make the most of it, learn from it, and eventually figure it out.

-- Sparky Anderson
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Andrew Miller Career Tracker   Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:21 pm

Marlins' Miller eager to take bull by horns
Club hopeful young lefty will blossom at big league level

By Joe Frisaro / MLB.com

02/10/10 12:08 PM EST

MIAMI -- More than the numbers, the Marlins see the upside in Andrew Miller.

For good reason, because it's glaring. At 6-foot-7, the left-hander has a high ceiling. He can blaze a fastball past a hitter in the upper 90s. And his pitches have the kind of movement that has league insiders using the word "electric" when Miller is around the strike zone.

It's because of his pure natural ability that the Tigers selected Miller with the sixth overall pick in the 2006 First-Year Player Draft.

The fact that he was so highly touted is why Florida insisted on Miller being included in the blockbuster 2007 trade that sent Dontrelle Willis and Miguel Cabrera to Detroit.

With Miller, still just 24, the Marlins have shown tremendous patience. They believe he can blossom into a top-flight starter and a fixture in their rotation.

It's just a matter of him doing it. And while the club continues to offer Miller an opportunity, it isn't making any guarantees for a rotation spot as Spring Training nears.

"I've probably gotten a lot of opportunities because of flashes of my potential," Miller said during the Marlins' Caravan, which is running all week in South Florida. "It's basically up to me at some point to show I can find consistency in that potential.

"I've gotten a ton of opportunities with the Tigers and a ton of opportunities with the Marlins. At some point, it's up to me to show that I've deserved it -- that I've put it to use and I'm running with it."

Marlins pitchers and catchers begin working out Feb. 20 at the Roger Dean Stadium complex in Jupiter, Fla.

The club has made it clear that three rotation vacancies remain unfilled. The only locks are Josh Johnson, projected to start on Opening Day, and Ricky Nolasco.

"Obviously, Ricky and J.J., they're going to be there," Miller said. "The rest of us, we're going to have to prove it. There's certainly not bad blood or anything. All the guys get along. Everybody is still young, but we're kind of in different stages of our career."

Miller is in the mix for the other spots with Anibal Sanchez, Chris Volstad, Sean West, Rick VandenHurk and Hayden Penn.

"We kind of look at it as, all the candidates, everybody has experience pitching in the big leagues," Marlins president of baseball operations Larry Beinfest said. "They know what's expected of them. Now it's time to win a job.

"We've been patient, and we understand the ups and downs of young players. It's time for them as a group to step up."

In his first two seasons with Florida, Miller has dealt with some nagging injuries. He has been plagued by right knee and right ankle problems, as well as a pulled muscle in his rib cage.

"Unfortunately, whether it's been injuries of just inconsistencies, it's been tough," Miller said. "I think at some point, I have to step in and run with it."

Miller is well aware that his numbers are disappointing.

In 2009, he was 3-5 with a 4.84 ERA. Projected to be in the rotation, Miller started 14 games and made six relief appearances. He was the fifth starter when the season opened, and early on, he felt like he was establishing a rhythm. But he wasn't able to sustain it and his statistics suffered.

The Marlins optioned Miller to Triple-A New Orleans on July 20, and he encountered some more troubles. He spent time on the disabled list with an ankle injury.

"I feel great right now," Miller said. "The ankle, I don't think it's going to be an issue, unless I were to sprain it again. I'm not even taping it.

"That's been one of the most frustrating things for me. I know that I've been inconsistent on the mound, but how much of that has been related to all these injuries that I've had?"

Because of lost time due to injuries in 2009, the Marlins sent Miller to the Arizona Fall League, where he worked on refining his delivery.

Lowering his arm slot is one of the adjustments Miller has made while working with new pitching coach Randy St. Claire and Wayne Rosenthal, Florida's Minor League pitching coordinator.

Along with several other pitchers, Miller already has been working out in Jupiter.

"We're kind of keeping a lot of stuff we've done in the past year or so, but at the same time, I was raising my arm," Miller said. "It was going higher, and higher and higher."

The danger of tinkering too much with any player is the risk of them getting away from what made them prospects in the first place.

"I think that is somewhat what was happening," Miller said. "I was accomplishing some of the things I wanted to work on, but at the same time, I was kind of becoming somebody who I wasn't.

"It's weighing what was working for you in the past, and why was it working, versus what can you change to fill these holes or these problems that you've had."

If Miller doesn't win a rotation spot, he could get a shot in the bullpen or be optioned to Triple-A. Miller has one more option season, which gives the Marlins flexibility when they put together their Opening Day roster.

"We're not ruling anything out," Beinfest said. "Again, those three spots are wide open. We'll do what's best for the team and for the player. If we feel they need to go back because they just aren't ready to contribute, then that will be the decision."

-- Sparky Anderson
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Andrew Miller Career Tracker   Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:13 pm

Marlins send Miller to Minors
Left-hander must work on control issues at Triple-A

By Joe Frisaro / MLB.com

03/26/10 11:44 AM ET

JUPITER, Fla. -- In Andrew Miller, there is elite talent.

To succeed at the big league level, however, the 24-year-old left-hander must first find more consistency. The Marlins are hoping Miller can develop that in the Minor Leagues.

On Friday, Miller was optioned to Triple-A New Orleans in a move that was anticipated, since he is refining his delivery.

Miller had been in consideration for a rotation spot, but foremost, Florida was looking for the 6-foot-7 lefty to repeat his mechanics. With his long arms and legs, he's had difficulties keeping everything lined up.

The fact that he made just three Grapefruit League appearances, with one start, was a clue that the team was looking in another direction for a starter.

"I'd like to think I was in there," Miller said. "I'm not really surprised. I had one start, and I have stuff to work on. I'm going to go down there and I'll keep plugging away. I felt good about my last outing, my last bullpen [session]. I'll look to keep getting some consistency."

Miller has an electric arm, and he's capable of throwing his fastball in the upper 90s. But command is an issue, and it resurfaced in Spring Training, where he's walked eight and struck out two in 7 2/3 innings.

"Nobody wants to go down to the Minor Leagues," manager Fredi Gonzalez said. "But Andrew has reached the point where he knows he's making progress, and it's a good thing to go down to the Minor Leagues.

"This is not a demotion. We want him to succeed, obviously. This is a good thing for him. He's got to go down there and prove it, which there is no doubt in my mind he can. Then, he will be back up."

Miller has one more option year left, so this is a big season for the left-hander to see if he will ultimately fit in Florida's plans.

A former first-round pick of the Tigers, Miller was obtained by the Marlins after the 2007 season as part of the Dontrelle Willis/Miguel Cabrera trade.

In two seasons with Florida, he is 9-15 with a 5.43 ERA in 49 games, including 34 starts.

Also on Friday, the Marlins optioned reliever Chris Leroux and catcher Brett Hayes to New Orleans.

With Miller out of the equation, it appears Florida's rotation will be set with Josh Johnson, Ricky Nolasco, Anibal Sanchez, Chris Volstad and Clay Hensley, a non-roster invitee. Rick VandenHurk and Hayden Penn also are in the mix.

Gonzalez said he would like to set the rotation by Monday.

If Miller figures it out in the New Orleans, he could become a big addition to the rotation. While the team will break camp with five starters, there invariably is a need for depth. A year ago, the Marlins used 11 different starters.

"My plan is to go down there, get as consistent as I can, get on a nice roll and make it tough for them to keep my down there," Miller said.

-- Sparky Anderson
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Andrew Miller Career Tracker   Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:13 pm

Miller struggles with strike zone in loss
Stanton's RBI single among few highlights at plate for Marlins
By Joe Frisaro / MLB.com | 09/29/10 9:18 PM ET

ATLANTA -- A recurring theme caught up again with Andrew Miller.

Unable to repeat his delivery and consistently throw strikes, Miller was tagged for four runs in three innings in his final start of the season.

Brooks Conrad's three-run homer in the third inning and Derek Lowe's successful outing on short rest lifted the Braves to a 5-1 victory over the Marlins on Wednesday at Turner Field.

Miller's final start of the season was another reminder that the left-hander has a ways to go in terms of getting consistency in his delivery.

"The way it started and the point I'm at right now, it's not the way I wanted it to go," said Miller, who is now 1-5. "I think I'm getting closer. I've been saying that for a long time. My stuff was good today. My velocity was good. My changeup was good. I didn't throw too many breaking balls to all those righties. I threw a couple of good ones later in the third inning.

"But [I threw] far too many balls today, and I've just got to find that consistency in the strike zone."

The Braves completed their three-game sweep, strengthening their position to secure the National League Wild Card.

"You know what: Those guys are hungry. They can taste it," said Chad Tracy, who had three of the Marlins' nine hits. "You've got to tip your hat to them."

For Florida, Wednesday was yet another stifling afternoon.

The Marlins concluded their final road trip by going 1-6, including four straight losses. For the season, they were 39-42 away from Sun Life Stadium.

Now 77-81, the Marlins will have to sweep their four-game home series with the Pirates, beginning Thursday, to finish an even .500. But for the first time since going 71-91 in 2007, Florida will have a non-winning season.

Florida's offense managed five runs over the four-game losing streak.

"There was no offense on this road trip," manager Edwin Rodriguez said.

In the seven games on the trip, the Marlins scored 14 total runs.

"There was no offense. We scored what, 14 runs? In the last four games, [five] runs in four games," Rodriguez said. "There were no runs. The clutch hits never came. Hopefully, going back to Miami -- in those last four games, hopefully, we can start getting those clutch hits."

Lowe (16-12) pounded the zone in 5 2/3 innings, striking out nine while giving up one run. Of his 99 pitches, 63 were strikes.

Miller's last start of the season was again a struggle to throw strikes. The lefty walked four in three innings, and 43 of his 77 pitches were strikes.

Miller's lone win this season was against the Braves in Miami on Sept. 3, when he gave up one run on seven hits with three walks in five innings.

"Miller is hard. He'll walk a couple and then he will make some pitches," Braves manager Bobby Cox said. "Same thing down in Miami the last time we faced him. It was walk, walk, walk and then we'd line out somewhere and end up with nothing."

In the first two innings, Miller was able to work out of trouble with runners in scoring position. But in the third, the mounting number of baserunners caught up to the left-hander.

Atlanta broke through for four runs, with the big blast being Conrad's three-run homer.

A pair of one-out walks issued by Miller set up the big inning. With two outs, David Ross delivered an RBI double, and Conrad followed with his eighth shot of the season.

Unless Miller is used out of the bullpen in the final series with the Pirates, he will have walked 26 while striking out 28 in 32 2/3 innings.

Boosted by the four-run third inning, Lowe was able to toss 5 2/3 innings on three days' rest. In back-to-back games, the Braves picked up a solid start from a veteran going on short rest.

Tim Hudson gave up one run over six innings in a no-decision Tuesday.

"We did exactly what we had to do. We played three very strong games against Florida," Lowe said.

The Marlins cashed in on Lowe in the sixth inning, scoring on Mike Stanton's two-out RBI single. A single by Dan Uggla and a two-out single by Tracy set up Stanton's 53rd RBI.

Lowe exited to a nice ovation as Peter Moylan prevented any further damage by striking out Brad Davis.

"There's a reason why they're going on short rest, because they're the heart and soul of that pitching staff," Tracy said. "They're expected to go out there and earn that paycheck, and they did."

-- Sparky Anderson
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Andrew Miller Career Tracker   Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:23 pm

Non-Tender Candidate: Andrew Miller
By Mike Axisa [October 30, 2010 at 7:58pm CST]

There is no commodity in baseball more precious than young power pitching, and that goes double if the player happens to be lefthanded. That's the case with Andrew Miller of the Marlins, the sixth overall pick in the 2006 draft and one of the key pieces in the December 2007 trade that sent Miguel Cabrera and Dontrelle Willis to Detroit.

It's easy to forget that he's still just 25 years old, but it seems like Miller had lived a baseball lifetime. He made his big league debut a few weeks after signing his first contract, throwing 10.1 innings of low-pressure relief down the stretch for Jim Leyland's club. After a brief minor league tune-up the next year, Miller found himself in the Tigers' rotation at midsummer, posting a 5.63 ERA in 13 starts. The next year he was in Florida, and in his three seasons with the Fish he's pitched to a 5.89 ERA with 7.2 K/9 and 5.1 BB/9 in 220 innings.

Miller has been bouncing back and forth between the majors and minors throughout his career as he's struggled to find consistency with his delivery and command, and as a result he's now out of options. If the Marlins want to sent him to minors next year, he'll have to first be exposed to the other 29 teams on waivers. There's a chance that will be a non-issue though, because Florida may opt to simply non-tender Miller this offseason.

Thanks to the major league contract he signed out of the draft, Miller earned a touch over $1.79MM in 2010. That original deal expired after 2009, though it paid him $1.575MM that season, which was used as a base for his 2010 compensation. Considering how poorly he's pitched, not to mention the system in general, Miller wouldn't have come close to a seven-figure salary in either of the last two years if he was a regular player with less than three years of service time. Given their financial restraints, it's not tough to see why the Marlins may opt to pass on paying Miller close to $2MM in 2011.

Despite all that, it's tough to walk away from a young lefty that still touches the mid-90's with his fastball. The Kevin Towers led Padres wanted Miller in a potential Heath Bell trade last year,, and I'm sure general manager Michael Hill would be able to drum up some trade interest if he looks around. That would be preferable than a non-tender, since at least Florida would get something other than payroll relief in return.

What do you think the Marlins will do with Miller this offseason? Click here to vote and here to see the results. Thanks in advance.

-- Sparky Anderson
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Andrew Miller Career Tracker   Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:14 am

Last Updated: November 12. 2010 9:27PM
Tigers trade Eddie Bonine; Marlins deal former Tiger Andrew Miller
Detroit News staff and wires / Detroit News staff and wires

Detroit— Eddie Bonine is officially an ex-Tiger.

Fox Sports reported Friday afternoon that the right-hander had agreed to terms with the Phillies on a minor league deal. MLB.com followed up by reporting the Tigers made a "last-minute push" to bring him back, but couldn't match the other offer.

Bonine, 29, was 4-3 with a 4.63 ERA this past season. All but one of his 47 appearances was out of the bullpen.

For his major league career, all in the past three seasons with Detroit, he is 7-3 with a 4.74 ERA. The Tigers acquired him from the Padres in the 2005 Rule 5 draft.

The Tigers announced last week Bonine was being outrighted to Triple-A Toledo. He chose to become a free agent.

With the Phillies, he has a good shot of getting plenty of work in the bullpen — especially if they don't re-sign Jose Contreras, Chad Durbin and J.C. Romero, all free agents and major contributors in 2010. Durbin also is a former Tiger. He left the club after the 2007 season, signed with the Phillies and has made 194 appearances over the last three years.

Miller traded to Red Sox

Andrew Miller has been acquired by the Boston Red Sox from the Florida Marlins for Dustin Richardson in a trade of left-handed pitchers.

Miller, 25, taken by Detroit with the sixth overall pick in the 2006 amateur draft, was 1-5 with an 8.54 ERA in seven starts and two relief appearances for Florida over the final 11/2 months of the season. He was a combined 2-9 with a 5.35 ERA at Double-A Jacksonville and Class A Jupiter.

Miller was a teammate of Red Sox reliever Daniel Bard at North Carolina. He is 15-26 with a 5.84 ERA in five major league seasons.

Richardson, 26, had a 4.15 ERA in 26 relief appearances with the Red Sox last season.

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20101112/SPORTS0104/11120438/Tigers-trade-Eddie-Bonine--Marlins-deal-former-Tiger-Andrew-Miller#ixzz158ExRPjZ

-- Sparky Anderson
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Andrew Miller Career Tracker   Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:06 pm

Okajima, T Buchholz, Andrew Miller non-tendered
Posted by Peter Abraham, Globe Staff
December 3, 2010 12:11 AM

This release from the Red Sox:

The Boston Red Sox tonight announced that the club will not tender 2011 contracts to right-handed pitcher Taylor Buchholz and left-handed pitchers Andrew Miller and Hideki Okajima.

As a result, Buchholz, Miller and Okajima will become free agents. The Red Sox tendered 2011 contracts to the other 21 unsigned players on their Major League roster.

---------------

Just to be clear, the Red Sox can still sign Okajima, Miller and/or Buchholz as free agents.

It's not readily apparent why they would acquire Buchholz (off waivers on Nov. 15) and Miller (trade with Florida on Nov. 12) and non-tender them less than a month later. The Sox actually seemed happy to get Miller at the time.

It will all become clear at some point, presumably. The(y) obviously think they can find better relievers elsewhere or sign these guys for less money then they might have receivd through arbitration. At any rate, the 40-man roster is at 37.

-- Sparky Anderson
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Andrew Miller Career Tracker   

Back to top Go down

Andrew Miller Career Tracker
Page 1 of 1