Always A Tiger
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.

Always A Tiger

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to learn and talk about their Favorite Baseball Team, as well as just enjoy one another's company.

HomePortalFAQSearchRegisterLog in
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Share | 

Casey Crosby | P NEWS

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star

Aries Location : Ohio

PostSubject: Casey Crosby | P NEWS   Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:56 pm

Casey Crosby 26 | P
Biographical Data

Player Name:Casey Crosby
Position:Starting Pitcher
School:Kaneland HS, Maple Park, Ill.
School Type:High School
Academic Class:Senior
Birthdate:09/17/88
Height:6'5\"
Weight:190 lbs.
Bats:Right
Throws:Left
Report Date(s):04/18/07
Game(s):Rochelle HS

Focus Area
Comments
Fastball:On
a cold day, Crosby didn't show as much arm strength as he had in the
past, sitting at 86-88 mph and touching 91 mph. He'd been clocked as
high as 94 in the past.
FB Movement:Especially for a lefty, Crosby's fastball showed below-average life.
Curve:Crosby threw his curve in the 68-71 mph range and it was with loose rotation.
Changeup:Crosby has a change, sitting at 74-76 mph, but he slows his arm down when throwing it.
Control:Crosby's command was below average in this start. He walked six in the outing.
Poise:Crosby
showed good poise and mound presence. He competed very well in a tight
game. After walking the first two batters of the game, he promptly
picked both of them off.
Physical Description:Crosby is a tall, athletic lefty with plenty of room for growth.
Medical Update:Healthy.
Strengths:Crosby
showed excellent poise and competitiveness, a good pickoff move and did
show glimpses of a good breaking ball late in the game.
Weaknesses:His
delivery is too rigid and will need refinement. Even if his fastball
improved, his secondary offerings need a lot of improvement.
Summary:This
is a deep year for high school lefties, and scouts were swarming to the
Midwest to see how Crosby looked as the weather warmed up. Early on, he
wasn't showing the arm strength some had seen in the past and his other
pitches were below average. There's room for growth, though, and some
refinement to his delivery could go a long way for the southpaw.

"If you have to choose between power and speed and it often turns out you have to make that choice, you've got to go for speed." Source: TV Guide Interview (April 3, 1982)
-- Sparky Anderson

Last edited by TigersForever on Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Casey Crosby | P NEWS   Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:59 pm

The Book on Casey Crosby
Prospect Info

Casey Crosby

Born 9/17/1988

LHP, DET

The rare kind of power lefty who can hit the upper 90's, Tigers prospect Casey Crosby has been blossoming in the shadow of super-prospect Rick Porcello, who gets most of the attention. Crosby has a live curve and a developing change, but his command isn't ready for the majors just yet. If he sharpens it a bit, he could step in as a strong number two or three in the Tigers rotation. He has good mound presence, great baseball smarts and instincts, and the competitiveness to succeed.

"If you have to choose between power and speed and it often turns out you have to make that choice, you've got to go for speed." Source: TV Guide Interview (April 3, 1982)
-- Sparky Anderson
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Casey Crosby | P NEWS   Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:05 pm

January 31, 2007

Illinois' No. 1: Casey Crosby

ILLINOIS' No. 1: CASEY CROSBY

Sean Duncan (PrepBaseballReport.com)
Rivals High

Casey Crosby could've easily packed it in. Worse yet, he could've lost that ah-shucks smile that sweeps over him every time he steps on a baseball diamond. It would've been easy for him to do. Regrettable, but understandable.

After all, a year ago around this time Crosby was recovering from torn meniscus. He was a 6-foot left-handed pitcher with an 80-mph fastball. In other words, he was a dime-a-dozen prospect. To compound matters, he was a dime-a-dozen prospect from Kaneland High, a small school in Kane County's Maple Park.

"I was out with my knee injury and nobody really cared," said Crosby. "I really questioned if baseball was my future."

But something remarkable happened between the fall and winter months: Crosby shot up four inches and gained much-needed strength. Then, in his first bullpen of the spring season last year, Crosby grabbed the ball and threw a pitch. The radar gun read 88 mph. Had to have been a mistake, he thought, and he threw another pitch. Same result.

"I was in shock," said Crosby, who's now 6-foot-5, 190 pounds. "All my teammates were like, 'You just threw 88 miles per hour.' Then word got all around school. It was pretty crazy. I honestly have no idea how it happened."

In late April, Crosby touched 91 on the gun. But even with his escalating velocity, he was still an unknown commodity. "No one knew who I was," he said.

And then he suffered another setback; he injured his back and missed the second half of his junior season. The kid with a newly minted golden arm only pitched in 33 innings his junior season, posting a 2-1 record with two saves.

"Not many people know about Kaneland or even where it is," said Kaneland coach Kip Rogers. "It was just a waiting game for Casey. I told him one day someone was going to discover him and recognize his talent."

Crosby's time came in late June at a showcase at Plainfield South High School. With college coaches and pro scouts lined shoulder to shoulder during a pre-game workout, Crosby fired a knee-high strike from right field to third base that momentarily struck the crowd speechless. On the mound, Crosby was delivering 88-91 mph fastballs, and to boot, he ran a 6.8 60-yard dash.

Crosby was discovered ? in a big way. On July 1, the first day college coaches can call a prospect, Crosby's phone was ringing off the hook. And it hasn't stopped since.

"Honestly, I believed I could do it, but I didn't know it would be this big," said Crosby, who has signed with University of Illinois. "Everything changed after that Plainfield showcase. It was overwhelming ? but overwhelming in a good way."

Rogers said it was only a matter of time before Crosby was discovered.

"It really doesn't surprise me one bit, to be honest," Rogers said. "When I first met Casey three years ago, I knew he'd be a special talent. It was just one of those things that you had to be patient and hope for someone to see him.

"Within a year he had a big growth spurt, made a couple minor adjustments in his mechanics and he went from low 80s to low 90s. A lot of that was Casey and his natural ability. He obviously comes from good blood."

Both of Crosby's older brothers were impressive athletes. Kelly Crosby, a 6-2, 215-pound outfielder, was drafted by the Yankees; and Pat Crosby was a linebacker at Western Illinois University. Both of Casey's older siblings attended Wheaton-Warrenville South High School. Casey said he learned a lot from his brothers, and also was on the receiving end of many backyard poundings.

Now, as the Prep Baseball Report's No. 1-ranked prospect in the state, it isn't far-reaching to say that Casey might be the second Crosby selected come next June's Major League Baseball draft ? a possibility that seemed ridiculous a year ago.

Crosby has changed a lot in a year's time. He's grown four inches, has gotten stronger and added 10-plus mph on his fastball. But one thing has remained consistent during his wild ride from the basement of obscurity to penthouse top prospect: his smile.

"I just love playing baseball," he said. "In batting practice I'm in the outfield diving for balls. I just have fun out there."

-- Sparky Anderson
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Casey Crosby | P NEWS   Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:08 pm

Awards/Honors:

08/25/2009 MID Post-Season All-Star
07/27/2009 MID Pitcher of the Week
06/29/2009 MID Pitcher of the Week
06/23/2009 MID Mid-Season All-Star

-- Sparky Anderson
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Casey Crosby | P NEWS   Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:23 pm

Casey Crosby Prospects Chat

By Casey Crosby
January 29, 2010

John (Illinois): Casey, you went through surgery in your career. Who helped you through the process and what gave you the inspiration to keep going.

Casey Crosby: Plenty of people were there for me giving me motivation from my pitching coach when I was in high school to my agents and I am very blessed I had so much support. But I think that the people that were there for me the most was my family. My mother my father my older brothers and even my sisters were giving me motivation.

Jeffrey (Windsor, ON): We know that the Tigers are not scared to promote young pitchers if they show they are ready, what do you think you have to show them before they deem you ready to perhaps crack the rotation within the next year or two?

Casey Crosby: I think I will have to prove I can throw consistent strikes and keep my walks down. I have to show them I can handle a full workload without a restricted pitch count

Eric (Livonia Mi): Casey, Have the Tigers told you where you will pitch this year or is that done during spring training?

Casey Crosby: They wont tell anyone where they will start until the end of spring training

Dan (PA): What are some of your career goals?

Casey Crosby:
I want to make it to the big leagues and stay there. I would like be one of those guys that even when they get older, they are still just as good as they were when they were in their prime. My main goal however is to stay in the game and be able to support my family in the future

Dan (PA): Who is your current favorite major league player?

Casey Crosby: I really like the way Jake Peavy pitches. He challenges guys all the time and is a bulldog up there.

Dan (PA): Who was your favorite ballplayer growing up?

Casey Crosby: I was a big fan of Ken Griffey Jr. and I loved watching Omar Vizquel play short stop. Up until I was about 12 I played short stop but had to switch to the outfield because I was lefty

Lee Oppenheimer (Grand Rapids, Mi.): After coming off surgery and pitching as well as you did for the Whitecaps, how frustrating was it for you to be on a strict pitch count?

Casey Crosby: It got very frustrating during the game especially when I was feeling good and had a shutout or no hitter going. But I know the Tigers are doing all they can to protect me because I was coming off surgery at 20 years old

Carl Graetz (Maryland): If you could choose one of your pitching statistics (e.g., ERA, walks/strikeouts ratio, W-L, etc.) to improve this season, which statistic would it be and why?

Casey Crosby: It would definitely be walks. The reason for that is because I had too many last year and that's when I would get into trouble.

Trey (Louisville):
What's been the most important part of adding and maintaining your velocity throughtout the preseason and regular season?

Casey Crosby: I think it's keeping my muscle endurance up. Things like working out between starts and running a lot. I don't lift heavy weights though, its more repetitions and working on exploding. Also, being stretched and limber helps your flexibility so your aren't tightening up as much.

Warren (Texas):
Casey: Good luck this year, I'll be pulling for you. Just kind of curious as to what younger players in the Tigers organization have you been impressed with? WHo might we have not have heard of who has caught your eye? thanks for the chat, and good luck. Can't wait to see you at Comerica.

Casey Crosby: I think some pitchers that might fly under the radar are guys like Jared Gayhart, Robbie Weinhardt, and Luke Putkonen. The one I'm most impressed with is Jared Gayhart. He just started full time pitching after he got drafted in 2008. his ball has a lot of run and extra life. he throws it anywhere from 91-94 with a very good but very improving breaking pitch

Warren (Texas):
What players that you have pitched against have impressed you the most and why?

Casey Crosby: I think Simon Castro in the Padres organization has some dirty stuff. Also, Aaron Miller in the Dodgers organization is very good. He has a great change-up.

Jim Kubinski (Granger, IN): Casey, Looking at breaking into the Tigers' rotation sometime in the near future, are there any concerns about how your manager, Jim Leyland, tends to push his starters, especially at a young age? I've seen Verlander out there for 120 pitches with a 5 run lead. Does that worry you at all or is it more the old Braves philosophy...and Rangers now... of throwing more makes you stronger? Thank you and best wishes for a great career!

Casey Crosby:
I think if you baby your arm, Your most likely going to have a baby arm. I definitely think throwing more builds arm strength. the key is to get enough rest and in 5 man rotations you can get plenty of rest. And also, 120 pitches isn't bad at all.

Tony (Coloma, Michigan): What level do you expect to pitch at in 2010? Will you have any reservations about dominating the White Sox once you arrive in the major leagues since you are from Illinois?

Casey Crosby: haha YES! I was always a Cubs fan so I wasn't much of a fan of the Sox. If I pitch at The Cell it'll be a dream come true. And of course I would love to dominate them. As far as where I'll be this year, it'll be either High A lakeland or double A Erie

Tony (Coloma, Michigan): What do you consider your best pitch? Describe your preparation and mental approach to attacking hitters.

Casey Crosby: My best pitch is my fastball. My preparation on the mound is just forget everything, take it a pitch at a time just think this is your game.

Mark (Fargo, ND): What are your personal goals for the 2010 season? Do you feel your injuries in the past are behind you? With everything that management has told do you feel you will make it to the big leagues this year? Do you want to be in the big leagues this year?

Casey Crosby: My main goal is to stay healthy. As far as elbow injuries I feel that all is behind me. My arm feels great now and I've gotten enough innings under me after surgery to believe that. I don't know where I'll be or where I end up this year, I just know wherever I'm at I'll do as well as i can.

brandon (michigan):
what has been the hardest thing about returning from Tommy John surgery?

Casey Crosby: Right now my elbow feels like I never had surgery. During rehab however, the hardest thing was not being able to play in actual games.

brandon (michigan): was the decision between football and baseball a hard one?

Casey Crosby:
Absolutely not. I knew I would have way more success in baseball rather than football. I do miss football though.

Jeff Sanders (Gettysburg, PA): What were the most important drills or aspects in the development of your arm strength as you progressed through high school?

Casey Crosby: I honestly didn't do much to strengthen my arm in high school. I just played a ton of long toss and lifted like every other high school athlete.

mike (new york): besides working out and throwing what do you do to get ready for the upcoming season?

Casey Crosby:
We run a lot to get our legs in condition, we do a lot of shoulder strengthening exercises, and as you start throwing more and more bullpens you want to feel more consistent and more in control of your mechanics on the mound.

Kelly Crosby (Dallas, Texas): Since you started throwing a 2-seam fastball late in the 2009 season your fingertip couldn't handle all that friction. What methods or preventions are you taking to assure yourself this kind of thing won't happen again in 2010?

Casey Crosby:
Well, it's not that i started throwing one, I just started throwing it differently. I'm just trying to build a callus on it by using the rough part of a nail file and trying to make it hard and tough.

kris kaminska (naperville, IL): What is your off season throwing program? Time off? When do actually start cranking it up?

Casey Crosby:
Yes this offseason I took about 2 months off. I started up again in mid december and I took it slow to make sure my arm is ready. You really start cranking it up around now. I just threw my first bullpen of the new season today and you just throw longer bullpens from then on.

Jimmy (Perry, Ga.): Hi Casey. Who's the toughest hitter you've faced as a pro? And is there a particular type of hitter that you're still learning how to attack?

Casey Crosby: I'd say the toughest hitter I have faced is Tony Delmonico. Those right handed balanced hitters with good power. They make you have to hit your spots and be able to throw your change up for strikes because they can recognize a breaking ball so well.

steve (naperville,il): Casey,watched you alot in the midwest league last year and was wondering if you feel any residual effect of your 08' surgery, I personally thought you compared well to previous MWLer Clayton Kershaw. Also have you recieved any feedback from detroit on this years plans (Lakeland)?

Casey Crosby: The only thing I would feel in my elbow is tightness sometimes. All I'd have t do is ask my trainer to rub it then it would be fine

tim (chicago):
what did you focus on the most during the offseason?

Casey Crosby: I focused a lot on the mental side of the game. preparing myself to keep confidence in myself and not letting things get to me

Dave (Texas): Sure could use you in Texas. What is your best skill?

Casey Crosby:
I got a lot of skills. nunchucking skills, bow hunting skills, computer hacking skills. Haha I'm just joking. I think my best skill is throwing a baseball. Sorry to disappoint but I don't really have that many skills besides that.

Jim Gibson (Sugar Grove Illinois):
Casey...I watched you play football at Kaneland High school. Your athletic talents are obvious in that sport as well. Do you miss playing other sports since you're focused so hard on baseball?

Casey Crosby:
I definitely do miss playing football. That is one sport you can never fully play as a pickup sport. The pads and hitting can never be reenacted. You can always shoot the basketball around and play a pickup game of basketball.

Jon (Peoria): Hi Casey: As a big Illini fan, how close did you get to turning down the Tigers and going to Illinois?

Casey Crosby: Well I really didn't get close at all. I knew the opportunity to sign for good money and get into pro ball right away was definitely something I couldn't turn down to go to Illinois.

Don (Rosemont, IL): Casey, how did you enjoy getting to play so close to home in the Midwest League last year?

Casey Crosby: It was awesome. I couldn't ask for a better place to play in my first full season. I had family at almost every game, I went home on a couple off days, and playing in Grand Rapids was really fun and it's an amazing place to play.

Crosby's #1 fan (Michigan):
At the beginning of last year, you struggled with your command for a month or two. Then after that you destroyed the opposing batters. Did something click? Did you change your arm angle? Put the worries of your TJS (if you had any) behind you?

Casey Crosby:
No I just felt more confident out there and I learned a lot of things that I never thought of before like how to read swings and hitters approaches.

Crosby's #1 fan (Michigan): Which pitches do you feel that you have to work on more? and how did you deal with the pressure of coming back from tommy john surgery

Casey Crosby:
I feel like i need to work on my change up more. I want it to be a good pitch I can throw anytime to get hitters off my fastball.

Mike (Michigan):
which team did you grow up cheering for?

Casey Crosby: CUBS!

Brian (Detroit, MI): What amount of strength training do you and your pitching peers do during the off-season? Do you do any during the season?

Casey Crosby:
We do a lot of arm stuff. During the season we do a lot of shoulder exercises after we are done pitching. The Tigers strength program is awesome. They get us ready to take on a full season and they keep us conditioned during the season, as well as do their best to prevent injuries whenever they can by stretching and being there when we lift and run.

Mike (Michigan):
You were a 1st round talent in the 2007 draft. Were you surprised that you fell to the 5th round?

Casey Crosby: I wasn't surprised because my draft had a ton of talent. I also knew that if i didn't get selected early, with me being a high school kid and asking for what many high school kids ask for to forego college, I figured it would make a lot of teams lose interest in me.

Fred (Mid-Atlantic Region):
What expectations do you have, if any, of agents?

Casey Crosby: I believe agents should work for you. It shouldn't be the other way around. Agents should be there whenever you need them and they need to know what you want and what's best for you and not what's best for themselves

Art Paavola (Gwinn, Mi.): I believe you will start in Lakeland ( High A) for the warm weather. What do you think?

Casey Crosby: That sounds good

Joe (New York): Casey, What kind of information, if any, do you review prior to pitching in a game (e.g., scouting reports, box scores, film, etc.)?

Casey Crosby:
I take a look at how the other teams lineup is looking. Like how they have been doing the past ten games and stuff like that. Also, if any of their key hitters aren't in the lineup

Dan (Lincoln, Ne): What did you do to prepare yourself for this up coming season during the winter months? Would you have preferred to play in a fall league?

Casey Crosby:
I lifted pretty hard and ran also. I started throwing in mid December just light toss. It would have been an honor to play in the fall league, but I knew I wasn't going to.

Dan (Lincoln, NE): Is there a vetern pitcher that you have sought out for advice on how to throw certain pitches or just advice on how to be a big leaguer? If so who?

Casey Crosby:
I try and soak up as much information as I can from former big leaguers. Our pitching coordinator John Matlack had a great career and I try and pick his brain as much as I can

Dan (Lincoln, NE):
Do you read the prospect rankings on sites like Baseball America? If so do you put much into them?

Casey Crosby: I read them if someone I know tells me about it. I think nothing of any of it because all that matters is how you perform on the field

Fred (Madison):
Hi Casey - great year last year - CONGRATS. Have you heard how Duane Below is doing, coming back from TJ? I know he's been down in Lakeland rehabbing, but haven't heard anything. How well do you know other Tiger pitchers who pitched at a different level in the system than you did?

Casey Crosby:
Below is doing great. He'll probably be ready to go when ST starts. He's looking good though.

Dan (Lincoln, Ne): Do you have any superstitions?

Casey Crosby: I wore the same shirt to all the home days I started and a different one to all the away starts. I also step on the foul line with only my front cleat.

Baseball Fan (Diamond, Earth):
How would you rank your pitches; worst to best?

Casey Crosby: 1. 4 seam fastball 2. Curve ball 3. 2 seam fastball 4. change up

Dan (Lincoln, NE): What is your favorite baseball moment so far?

Casey Crosby:
Going to Cooperstown, New York and playing in a week long tournament and taking 6th place

Al (CA): Are you typing your answers or is a BA brain typing for you?

Casey Crosby: It's me on my laptop

Comic Book Guy (Springfield): What are your favorite movies? What about music groups/artists?

Casey Crosby:
Comedy. Anything with Jim Carrey and most of Will Farrells stuff. Dumb and Dumber, Step Brothers, Old School, both Ace Venturas. I also like Gladiator, American Gangster. Russell Crowe is my favorite actor. I like a lot of types of music but I think I like country the best. Lady Antebellum, Rascal Flatts, Boys Like Girls, Rise Against, Chris Brown. I like hip hop too but in doses.

Don J (Grand Rapids, Mi): What is your pre-game ritual? Music, food, etc?

Casey Crosby: I ate pancakes for breakfast and spaghetti for lunch last year before home starts but that is because my host mom would make it for me. I would listen to Rise against, Fall Out Boy, or Van Halen

travis (tinley park, illinois): Where did you learn your delivery from? Was there a pitching coach that infuenced you the most? What are you currently working on in your delivery?

Casey Crosby: It was really just what felt comfortable. I never had a pitching coach or instructions until I was 18 years old. Right now I'm working on a consistent delivery

travis (tinley park, illinois): Being form Illinois did you ever go to the White Sox Academy? I hear a lot of minor leaguers and big leaguers work out there in the offseason.

Casey Crosby:
I actually would go there a lot last offseason to throw

mike (chicago):
if you were not playing baseball what would you be doing

Casey Crosby: I'd be in school somewhere working on my business finance degree probably.

Andrew (Idaho):
Love the Napoleon Dynamite reference. What are the best and worst aspects of minor league life? The best can't be that you play baseball for a living! :) Thanks.

Casey Crosby:
The best aspects are getting to go to all of these different types of ball parks in different towns and communities. the worst part is the bus rides

Sharon (Florida): Casey, have you had a chance to speak with any of the Detroit baseball greats such as Al Kaline or Willie Horton, and if so, what advice have they given you?

Casey Crosby: Yes I have and it was a great honor to meet them. They haven't given me any advice on pitching or anything because they were hitters.

Dale (Atlanta): How do you handle the mental part of the game? Do you visualize strikes, go over a pitch in your head first, etc.? And how do you calm yourself down when under pressure? Thx.

Casey Crosby: Yes it's a lot about visualizing where you want the ball to go. Also, just staying confident. When I get in a jam I take my time, and take deep breaths

Derek (Fenton MI): what is the hardest thing you have noticed from playing high school ball to pro ball?

Casey Crosby: the hardest thing would be that every hitter in the lineup is really good so you have to battle every at bat. Also, In high school I threw over 90% fastballs. In pro ball, if you do that, you will get lit up

Dave (Toronto): Thanks for doing the chat and answering all these questions Casey! Have the Tigers ever talked to you about working out of the bullpen? Do you think you'd like closing games out as much as starting them?

Casey Crosby: No I haven't heard anything about them doing that with me. Ya, I think closing games would be fun. It'd be cool to go out there for an inning or two and just let it loose

-- Sparky Anderson
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Casey Crosby | P NEWS   Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:24 am

Prospect Crosby returns to action

By Jason Beck / MLB.com

06/24/10 8:28 PM ET

NEW YORK -- Pitching prospect Casey Crosby returned to action on Tuesday with a four-inning performance for the rookie-level Tigers in the Gulf Coast League.

The 21-year-old left-hander started for the GCL club and allowed two runs, one earned, on four hits with a walk, five strikeouts and a wild pitch. It marked his first game action since Spring Training, when he made a brief appearance for the big league club as an extra pitcher.

Crosby went down with elbow and forearm discomfort late in camp and opened the season on the disabled list at Class A West Michigan. The issues proved tough to get rid of, and his throwing progression went cautiously once it began. Crosby underwent Tommy John surgery soon after he signed with the Tigers out of the 2007 First-Year Player Draft, turning down a scholarship offer to play football at the University of Illinois.

Crosby came back with an impressive 2009 season at low Class A West Michigan, but the Tigers placed him on a pitch count and innings limit to be safe. His program will likely have similar caution, progressing him up to Class A ball to finish out the year.

-- Sparky Anderson
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Casey Crosby | P NEWS   Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:19 am

Prospect Crosby shut down for season

By Jason Beck / MLB.com

07/19/10 9:39 PM ET

DETROIT -- Casey Crosby entered the spring ranked among Detroit's top prospects, but he'll end the year without having had a chance to back it up. The Tigers have shut down the gifted left-hander for the rest of the season with recurring swelling in his left elbow.

The injury won't cost the 21-year-old another elbow surgery, but orthopedic specialist Dr. James Andrews recommended that the Tigers rest Crosby to quiet the swelling and give him a better chance of coming into next spring healthy.

Crosby opened the season on the disabled list with elbow tenderness and had a slow recovery before being cleared for a rehab assignment in the Gulf Coast League. He gave up 15 runs, 12 earned, on 21 hits over 12 1/3 innings in three starts there, including nine runs over 3 1/3 innings in his final start on July 3. That was supposed to be a five-inning, 75-pitch performance.

The Tigers sent him back to Dr. Andrews after that for exams.

"Structurally, he's fine," Tigers head athletic trainer Kevin Rand said Monday. "Dr. Andrews recommended we shut him down from throwing for six to eight weeks."

Crosby's velocity was strong, Rand said, but he had residual swelling.

The move continues what has been a rough summer for Tigers pitching prospects. Former first-round Draft pick Jacob Turner, regarded alongside Crosby by many as Detroit's top prospect, pitched relatively well at Class A West Michigan, but has had growing pains in four starts at high Class A Lakeland. Relief prospect Cody Satterwhite is out for the season following shoulder surgery, and Robbie Weinhardt also missed time before his promotion to Detroit earlier this month. Andrew Oliver has arguably been the brightest spot in the system armwise.

-- Sparky Anderson
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Casey Crosby | P NEWS   Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:47 pm

Casey Crosby was a fifth-round pick out of Kaneland High School in 2007. (Scott Jontes/MiLB.com)

Ten Questions with Casey Crosby
Former fifth-rounder looking to put injuries in rear-view mirror
By Robert Emrich / Special to MLB.com
03/23/2011 10:00 AM ET

2011 is a crucial year in Casey Crosby's career.

Blessed with a fastball that reaches the upper 90s, Crosby was drafted in the fifth round of the 2007 Draft by the Tigers. Forgoing a scholarship to the University of Illinois, Crosby signed for a $748,000 bonus. Shortly after, he underwent Tommy John surgery and didn't make his pro debut until August 2008, when he tossed 4 2/3 innings for the Gulf Coast Tigers.

The Illinois native put himself on the map with a stellar 2009, going 10-4 with a 2.42 ERA in 24 starts for West Michigan. Crosby limited Midwest League batters to a .197 average and was selected to play in the league's All-Star Game. Despite pitching only 104 2/3 innings, the 6-foot-5 left-hander was 12th in the league with 117 strikeouts.

Crosby headed into 2010 flying high. Expected to open the year with Class A Advanced Lakeland, he once again had his season ruined by elbow and forearm discomfort, and he was limited to three starts in the Gulf Coast League. Heading into 2011, Crosby is ready to prove he's healthy and worth the wait.

MiLB.com: How frustrating was it to not be able to follow up your excellent 2009 campaign in 2010?

Casey Crosby: It was very disappointing. It was hard for me because, at that point, I knew what I could do, and being unable to perform -- that was just a huge disappointment. I just wanted to show everyone that I could perform at the next level.

MiLB.com: What's the most frustrating part of missing most of 2010?

Crosby: Just the fact that I'm not able to show what I can do, not only other people but myself. You see how good you are, but you also see you're unable to do it all the time. Last year was just very frustrating and it took its toll on me mentally. Taking this offseason and getting my confidence back heading into Spring Training was a big thing, because I know what I can do.

MiLB.com: What are your goals for 2011?

Crosby: Obviously they are to pitch the whole season and make every start that I'm supposed to. Also I want to continue improving my mental game and my overall performance on the mound. The main thing is mentally I want to be able to handle anything that comes to me in 2011.

MiLB.com: Do you fear you're going to get a reputation as a pitcher who is always hurt?

Crosby: That's something you don't want to think about. You don't want to think about injuries when you're playing. When it comes to reputation and being hurt, you just want to take care of yourself and do what you have to do. If people perceive me as a guy that does get hurt that's fine, but I believe my future will not show that, and I have to believe that.

MiLB.com: What is your favorite off-day activity?

Crosby: If I have an off day, you'll probably see me at the movies. The last movie I saw was Hall Pass and I thought it was really funny, absolutely hilarious. My favorite movie is probably Dumb and Dumber. I'm a fan of comedies and Jim Carrey. Dumb and Dumber -- the first time I saw it I never laughed so hard in my life.

MiLB.com: Since you grew up a Cubs fan, were you grateful to be drafted by a non-rival team? Is getting to play close to home a big deal for you?

Crosby: I really didn't care. If I got drafted by the Cardinals, I don't care -- it's still an amazing feeling. Hopefully in the future, I'll get a good crack at the White Sox. Definitely, I was in West Michigan in 2009, and it's only about three-and-a-half hours away. My family came and saw me quite a bit, especially my grandma and dad. My grandma is 83, 84 years old, but she still traveled three to four hours to see her grandson play. That's a pretty cool feeling.

MiLB.com: What's the best advice you've ever received?

Crosby: The best advice I've received is to phase out all the outside distractions and things you can't control. Just trust your ability and everything will take care of itself. Don't think 'If I throw this, what will happen?' And if you don't succeed, don't regret what you did. I just remember someone telling me that and I just stuck with it.

MiLB.com: If you hadn't been a baseball player, what do you think you would have ended up doing?

Crosby: Something in business, like business financing. I like dealing with numbers and handling banking stuff. I'd probably be going to school for business.

MiLB.com: What do you think your best pitch is, and what pitch do you think needs the most work?

Crosby:
It's hard to go against a fastball, but my curveball is something that I can finally locate and it's something that is my out pitch. It's close, but I'm still going to go with my fastball. It's nice knowing that I have that in my repertoire. I feel like my changeup is improving; I feel like I'm throwing that for strikes more. That's something I'm going to use a lot this year. My four-seam fastball doesn't do a lot of dancing or moving; it's pretty much straight. I want to be able to throw my two-seam fastball and get an easy groundball out. My two-seamer isn't there yet, but it's something I am looking to improve on.

MiLB.com: You were 10-4, had an ERA of 2.41 and one of the best strikeout rates in the Minors in 2009. What stat from that season were you most proud of?

Crosby: I would have to say, if I didn't have that blister the last three weeks of the year, I'd have to say my innings pitched. Actually, the thing I'm most proud of were my second-half numbers. They were a lot better than my first half, my ERA and strikeouts per nine innings were so much better. I was coming back from Tommy John surgery, and the fact that I was improving more and more was huge to me.

Robert Emrich is a contributor to MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of the National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues or its clubs.

-- Sparky Anderson
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Casey Crosby | P NEWS   Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:12 am

Last Updated: March 25. 2011 1:22PM
Casey Crosby's arm has Tigers' attention
Lynn Henning / The Detroit News

Lakeland, Fla.
It was mentioned by Jim Leyland this week that an unidentified pitcher was heating up radar guns at the Tigers minor-league complex.

"They've got a left-hander over there throwing 98 (mph)," Leyland said.

It didn't take a CIA agent to figure out who it might be.

It was Casey Crosby, who pitched Thursday in a split-squad, minor-league game against Atlanta's Double-A team. A prospect who stands 6-foot-5, weighs 218 pounds, and who decided four years ago to take $748,500 rather than pitch for the University of Illinois, looked as if he was ready for his first full season since 2009.

Crosby's four-seam fastball hit 97 on Thursday, and at least once reached the Leyland-cited 98. His curveball was mid-80s, and his change-up hugged 79.

He put down the Braves in the first on a strikeout and two ground-outs in the first inning.

In the second inning, he got three groundouts.

In the third inning, he got two more groundouts and a fly out.

In the fourth inning, a pitcher who missed most of last season with elbow issues showed why he'll benefit from a full year at Single A or Double A or wherever the Tigers place Crosby.

Crosby allowed five runs before he was lifted with two out.

"He ran out of gas," said David Chadd, head of amateur scouting for the Tigers. "He needs innings more than anything.

"The stuff's there. That's obvious. But he's got to pitch."

Center of attention

Crosby, 22, was a fifth-round pick in 2007 after he wrapped up a lofty football-baseball career at Kaneland High in Maple Park, Ill. He was headed to Illinois until the Tigers lured him with the kind of offer that, while not on the level of their first-round pick that year, Rick Porcello, was princely compared with what the typical fifth-rounder was pulling.

Crosby's bad luck was to have needed Tommy John surgery a couple of months after he signed. He missed 2008, but arrived at West Michigan in 2009 and looked a lot like the pitcher who handled Atlanta early Thursday.

Crosby was 10-4 in 24 games at West Michigan with a 2.41 ERA. Opposing batters hit .195, and he allowed 70 hits in 1042/3 innings with 117 strikeouts.

Dave Dombrowski, general manager of the Tigers, was joined at the minor-league field Thursday by a front-office consortium that included Chadd, Al Avila, John Westhoff, and Mike Smith, all of whom seemed to be most focused on how Crosby was faring.

"He's a premium pitching prospect," Dombrowski said. "Anyone can see that."

In need of polish

Crosby, however, also has some developing to do.

His layoffs have robbed him of nearly two full years.

But with his elbow issues considered to be history, Crosby likely will begin at Single A Lakeland.

Patience will be the Tigers' stance. It will also be Crosby's.

He was pleased with his first three innings Thursday. Then, everything flipped.

"The ball was getting up in the fourth," Crosby said. "I've got to be working more at the knees and not at the waist. You can't do that in the big leagues, or at Double A."

Crosby's two-seam fastball was responsible for most of Thursday's groundouts. The high-speed four-seamer was used more as a show-it pitch, a reminder to hitters that it was there, particularly as a potential two-strike, put-away pitch.

But that weapon needs some fine-tuning, as do his secondary pitches, which ultimately will determine if his 98-mph blazer is lethal or a pitch waiting to be lashed by good hitters.

"At first, I had a really good fastball and I was getting guys out," Crosby said. "As the game went on, my whole body started to get tired."

Conditioning a body.

Sharpening pitches.

Catching up on lost time.

It's what a top prospect will be doing in 2011, all while the Tigers watch, intently, just as they were Thursday at Tigertown.

Getting to know … Casey Crosby

Ht./wt.: 6-5/200

B/T: Right/Left

Born: Sep. 17, 1988 (Maple Park, Ill.)

Drafted: Fifth round (Tigers) in 2007

By the numbers

YearLevW-LERAG-GSIPHRHRBBSO
2008Rk0-00.003-34.241032
2009A10-42.4124-24104.27036348117
2010Rk0-18.763-312.121151410
Totals10-52.9630-30121.2954045510
lynn.henning@detnews.com

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20110325/SPORTS0104/103250337/Casey-Crosby’s-arm-has-Tigers’-attention#ixzz1Hs6c7tAt

-- Sparky Anderson
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Casey Crosby | P NEWS   Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:50 pm

Tigers' Crosby, Turner ticketed for Double-A
By Jason Beck / MLB.com | 04/02/11 8:00 PM ET

Casey Crosby will join top prospect Jacob Turner in the rotation at Double-A Erie, as the Tigers' Minor League pitching assignments take shape. In the case of the SeaWolves, the rotation has a chance to be its best in several years if young arms perform to their potential.

It wasn't long ago that Crosby was rising among the Tigers' top pitching prospects, though he still ranks in the top 10. The Tigers plucked the hard-throwing left-hander in the same 2007 Draft that brought them Rick Porcello, but Crosby's career has been slowed by injuries so far. He has 30 starts over three seasons, with 24 of those outings coming in 2009. Crosby made just three starts last year before being shut down with swelling in his left elbow.

Crosby came back not just healthy this spring, but strong, topping the mid-90s on radar guns in Spring Training performances. Now 22, he'll skip Class A Lakeland and get a test in the rotation at Erie, where Mark Sorensen, L.J. Gagnier and Luke Putkonen round out the rotation.

Fellow top prospect Andy Oliver and left-hander Charlie Furbush highlight a Triple-A Toledo rotation that could feature four lefties. Adam Wilk also has a chance to start, as will Duane Below, in all likelihood.

-- Sparky Anderson
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Casey Crosby | P NEWS   Sun May 29, 2011 7:13 pm

Casey Crosby has lowered his ERA from 4.55 to 3.02 in his last three outings. (Erie SeaWolves)

Crosby pitches six shutout innings
Tigers prospect on his way to overcoming lost 2010 season
By David Heck / Special to MLB.com
05/28/2011 11:34 PM ET

· Box score
· Crosby's player page

Twice in his career, Casey Crosby has lost nearly an entire season due to injury. When he's been healthy, however, he's been dominant.

Crosby continued to show when he can do at full strength on Saturday, allowed three hits over six scoreless innings in the Double-A Erie SeaWolves' 2-1 loss to the visiting Reading Phillies.

The 22-year-old left-hander, who struck out four, has given up one run over his last 18 innings to lower his ERA from 4.55 to 3.02.

"It feels incredible," Crosby said. "Last year was very frustrating because I knew my ability, knew what I could do, and I couldn't do it. It was really frustrating for me. This year, getting off to a good start, having success, I feel like I'm back."

Crosby suffered from elbow and forearm discomfort last year and missed all but three starts as a result. Selected by the Tigers in the fifth round of the 2007 Draft, the Illinois native didn't make his pro debut until August 2008 because of Tommy John surgery.

In 2009, his lone injury-free season, Crosby flashed his talent. Pitching for Class A West Michigan, he posted a 2.41 ERA in 24 starts and averaged better than a strikeout per inning.

Ranked by MLB.com as the Tigers' No. 4 prospect, Crosby believes he's finally kicked the injury bug.

"I feel like I'm pretty much free of it," he said. "I don't want to think about it, obviously. I know how to take care of my body and get my body ready to throw. I've come a long way since coming out of high school. I'm more mature with what I need to do in preparation for games and even practice."

Crosby came out strong Saturday, retiring the first five batters he faced. After Derrick Mitchell singled through the left side, the southpaw picked him off to end the frame.

The only time Crosby allowed more than one runner in an inning was the sixth, when Michael Spidale and Matt Rizzotti delivered consecutive two-out singles. He got out of trouble by getting Cody Overbeck to bouncer into a fielder's choice on his final pitch of the night.

"I'm just calming down, relaxing and trusting my abilities," Crosby said. "I'm not trying to do too much, be too spectacular. I'm just going out here and trying to make good pitches and forcing contact early in the counts. Once it gets late in the count, I try to get that out pitch. For the most part, I'm just throwing strikes and relaxing out there."

Zach Simons (0-1) relieved Crosby and took the loss after allowing two runs over 1 2/3 innings.

After pitching well through eight starts this season, Crosby plans to carry over that success by focusing on the things he can control.

"Just keep learning from my pitching coach, Ray Burris. Just letting everything happen," he said. "There are things that are out of your power. Just try to control whatever you can and let the rest take care of itself."

David Heck is a contributor to MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of the National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues or its clubs.

-- Sparky Anderson
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Casey Crosby | P NEWS   Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:51 am

Crosby bounces back after rough inning
By Jason Beck / MLB.com | 03/14/12 7:52 PM ET

LAKELAND, Fla. -- Casey Crosby's first few batters Wednesday spelled trouble. His recovery after that made a much better impression on Tigers manager Jim Leyland.

Crosby, one of the Tigers' dark-horse contestants for the fifth-starter job, entered Wednesday for a lefty specialist type of appearance once Max Scherzer hit his pitch limit in the third inning. The Mets had the bases loaded with three consecutive left-handed hitters coming up. All three reached base safely -- Mike Baxter on an infield single, then Josh Thole and Adam Loewen on back-to-back bases-loaded walks.

It took a runner getting thrown out at the plate for Crosby to get out of that third inning. But Leyland left Crosby in to get his innings after that. Once Crosby took the mound for the fourth, he settled in to retire six of New York's next seven batters, with only one ball getting out of the infield.

"I thought he really threw the ball," Leyland said. "He came back throwing strikes pretty good. He caught a little bit of a tough break there, but I was impressed ...

"I think after the [infield single] he got a little frustrated and took time to get settled back in. He's really got good stuff. I like him a lot."

Jason Beck is a reporter for MLB.com. Read Beck's Blog and follow him on Twitter @beckjason. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

-- Sparky Anderson
Back to top Go down
RememberTheBird
Toledo Mud Hens (AAA)
Toledo Mud Hens (AAA)

PostSubject: Re: Casey Crosby | P NEWS   Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:42 pm

Tigers option Crosby to Toledo
By Jason Beck / MLB.com | 03/15/12 5:03 PM ET

LAKELAND, Fla. -- The competition for the fifth starter is officially down one contestant. The Tigers announced after Thursday's 4-2 win over the Orioles that they've optioned Casey Crosby to Triple-A Toledo, and he'll open the season in the Mud Hens' rotation.

Crosby, a highly touted prospect before injuries took some toll, went to camp coming off a promising recovery season in 2011. He allowed three earned runs on six hits over 6 2/3 innings this spring, with six walks and five strikeouts. Most of the damage against him came in the last couple of outings, though he made quite a recovery against the Mets on Wednesday to finish strong.

"Casey Crosby has, to me, as high of a ceiling as anybody we've got in camp, [of the] Minor League guys," manager Jim Leyland said. "He's a potential blue-chipper."

The decision to send him to Toledo, Leyland said, came during a Thursday meeting with team president/general manager Dave Dombrowski and coaches.

"We said, 'Let's get him [in Minor League camp], because innings are going to be scarce here,'" Leyland said.

Jason Beck is a reporter for MLB.com. Read Beck's Blog and follow him on Twitter @beckjason. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

“When you're a winner you're always happy, but if you're happy as a loser you'll always be a loser.”
Mark Fidrych
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Casey Crosby | P NEWS   Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:20 am

Crosby's debut uneven as Tigers fall to Yanks
Lefty allows six earned runs over 3 1/3 innings in first big league start

By Jason Beck / MLB.com | 6/2/2012 12:28 AM ET

DETROIT -- The potential was never been in question with Casey Crosby when he has been healthy. But potential doesn't shut down the Yankees.

For several years, Crosby's obstacle was health. Five years after he was one of the gems of the Tigers' 2007 First-Year Player Draft, Crosby made to the big leagues, where the obstacle in his debut was polish. The Yankees made him pay for it with a Curtis Granderson grand slam in his old home in Friday's 9-4 Tigers loss at Comerica Park.

"We talked about it before the game: The Yankees don't swing at pitches that they swing at in Triple-A," manager Jim Leyland said afterward.

Crosby learned a lesson Friday, and Leyland is willing to let him. With Doug Fister sidelined for at least another start, the Tigers don't have much choice. They have to turn to their farm system for help, and Crosby -- raw talent and all -- remains the best option they have right now.

Leyland has a lot of injuries on his mind besides Fister, and a lot of makeshift situations to ponder. Crosby's situation is far from the top of his concerns.

"You just file that one away, run him out there against Cleveland [next Wednesday], and see what he does," Leyland said. "The equipment's there. We asked a lot of the kid tonight, but we've been forced this year into a lot of different situations. We just have to battle it."

Crosby battled. For a brief stretch, the sellout crowd of 41,831 at Comerica Park saw the potential the Tigers saw in Crosby when they lured him away from football. He flashed the potential of the hard-throwing left-hander that the Tigers saw when he made an impression this past Spring Training, with the size that earned him the nickname of CC from the kids back home in suburban Chicago.

Until a couple of days ago, Crosby was slated to pitch Thursday for Triple-A Toledo. He had fanned 16 batters in 15 innings over his previous two starts for the Mud Hens, walking only one. Fister's injury forced the Tigers to change on the fly.

Crosby gave up a leadoff single to Derek Jeter on Friday, a fact that forced him to pause and soak it in briefly, then racked up called third strikes on Granderson with a fastball and Alex Rodriguez with an offspeed pitch.

After Quintin Berry tripled and scored to give the Tigers the lead in the first, Crosby had a lead to work with. He did not, however, have his breaking ball. Like most young starters, energy worked against him.

"I really couldn't throw my breaking ball for a strike today," he said. "In Toledo, I was throwing a lot of offspeed for strikes, and when I'm not throwing my breaking balls for strikes, they just spit on it the whole time and sit fastball."

He fooled the Yankees for a while without his breaking ball. Come the second inning, he wasn't locating much of anything, throwing seven consecutive balls on his way to walking three of New York's first four batters and loading the bases with one out.

Crosby got Chris Stewart to fly out on his first pitch to take away the sacrifice-fly opportunity, but he had the top of the Yankees' lineup coming back around. After he used a good change of speeds to put Jeter in a 1-2 count, he was a strike away from surviving.

Crosby tried to hit the inside corner with that breaking ball, and missed, but at least he missed in to avoid damage. He went back to the fastball and tried to pound Jeter inside, but missed twice more. With that, Robinson Cano had rounded the bases without the Yankees moving him on a ball in play.

"It just kind of got away from me," Crosby said. "I was getting too excited. One walk led to two walks, and I never really could get my composure back. It's all about just forgetting about the past and looking at the pitch ahead."

It lingered into the crushing blow from Granderson. With a groundout, Crosby could've walked back into the dugout with a tie game. But with no faith in his other stuff, the left-hander went at Granderson with fastballs.

Detroit's former All-Star center fielder took the first two. He didn't miss the third.

"He came after me the first at-bat with fastballs, and I wasn't able to catch up to it, so I figured they'd probably stay with it," Granderson said.

Granderson once hit a grand slam against the Yankees at Comerica Park in 2009, his final season as a Tiger. He had a grand slam in each of his first two seasons in Yankee pinstripes. Crosby's fastball gave him his first grand slam for 2012.

Jayson Nix's double and run with one out in the fourth inning ended Crosby's night. He gave up six runs on four hits with four walks and three strikeouts.

"When you bring somebody up, you're prepared for anything as a manager," Leyland said. "And I was prepared for exactly what happened tonight. I was also prepared for if he gets on a roll and gets some confidence going, he might shut them down pretty good. That's just the way it happened."

That was a big boost for CC Sabathia (7-2), who had lost his last four starts in Detroit since 2007 thanks in part to six home runs. He gave up a Ramon Santiago homer leading off the third inning, and a two-out RBI single to Prince Fielder, but settled in from there to finish with seven quality innings.

-- Sparky Anderson

Last edited by TigersForever on Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Casey Crosby | P NEWS   Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:20 am

Crosby, Young optioned to make room for Weber, Fister
BECK'S BLOG
Posted on June 16, 2012 at 12:05 am

Tigers manager Jim Leyland wasn’t sure how rookie left-hander Casey Crosby would react to starting on extended rest. His wild outing Friday night brought a reaction from the Tigers, who optioned him back to Triple-A Toledo for more seasoning.

Outfielder Matt Young was also optioned to Toledo.

The Young move opened the spot the Tigers needed to activate Doug Fister from the 15-day disabled list in time for his scheduled start Saturday afternoon. The Crosby move created room forThad Weber, who was recalled from the Hens as an extra reliever for the weekend. For Saturday, at least, the Tigers will have to fill innings without closer Jose Valverde, setup man Joaquin Benoit and hard-throwing right-hander Brayan Villarreal.

“We’re really short for tomorrow,” Leyland said after the game. “We’ve got major problems.”

No decision has been made on how the Tigers will proceed with their rotation, team president/general manager Dave Dombrowski said, which suggests they weren’t planning this initially. With an off-day Monday, they could go with four starters until next Sunday at Pittsburgh, when they would need a fifth starter the rest of the way to the All-Star break.

Their other injured starter, Drew Smyly, won’t be eligible for come off the DL in time to fill the spot next Sunday.

Crosby took Fister’s rotation spot after he aggravated his left side strain in a Memorial Day start at Boston. His rookie jitters didn’t help in his Major League debut against the Yankees, who hit him for six runs on just four hits in 3 1/3 innings with four walks June 1. He was significant more composed six days later against Cleveland, but his wildness returned Friday night, walking three of the first 12 Rockies he faced.

He recovered from a two-run third inning to enter the fourth with a lead thanks to a Tigers rally, but a two-run homer from Chris Nelson and an ensuing four-pitch walk to Dexter Fowler brought manager Jim Leyland out for the pitching change.

Crosby took a no-decision, giving up four runs on six hits over 3 1/3 innings with four walks and four walks.

“In fairness, he hasn’t done terrible,” Leyland said. “I think if you’re judging it from a professional perspective, he’s not ready. He’s got 93, 94, 95 [mph] in there, but I think he’s a little concerned about being able to throw it over at that velocity. And so, until he can conquer that, I think his bullpen sessions will be important.”

-- Sparky Anderson
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Casey Crosby | P NEWS   Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:34 pm

Casey Crosby
2013 Rank: 5
ETA: 2013
Position: LHP
Bats: R, Throws: L
Height: 6' 5", Weight: 225
Drafted: 2007, 5th (181) - DET
Twitter: @CaseyCrosby2
Scouting Grades* (present/future): Fastball: 6/6 | Curveball: 4/5 | Changeup: 5/5 | Control: 5/5 | Overall: 5/6

His Tommy John surgery in 2008 is a distant memory. Even the fact that he missed nearly all of 2010 with elbow inflammation is in the rearview mirror following back-to-back healthy seasons that saw him throw 125 or more innings each year, it’s time for Crosby to put his size and stuff to consistently effective use. The big lefty had a decent first season in Triple-A in 2012, finishing fourth in the organization in strikeouts and fifth in batting average against en route to his first big league callup. His above-average fastball will touch the mid-90s on occasion and he uses his frame to pitch with a downhill plane. He maintains his arm speed when he throws his sinking changeup and while his breaking ball is inconsistent, it should be a Major League average pitch with bite. He’ll need to cut his walk rate down to be able to stick in a big league rotation. There may not be room in one in Detroit right away, so Crosby will have to wait for an opportunity.

-- Sparky Anderson
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Casey Crosby | P NEWS   Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:20 am

February 9, 2013 at 1:00 am
Tigers spring training

Casey Crosby -- and Tigers -- expecting better from lefty in 2013

By Lynn Henning
The Detroit News

Lakeland, Fla. — In any job or profession, employees recognize that point when they might have been too cautious. Too particular.

Football running backs know it. They talk at moments of frustration about scampering "east and west" when they needed to charge with more "north and south" resolve.

Casey Crosby can relate. He remembers last June, just before the Tigers returned him to Triple A Toledo following his Comerica Park cameo (three starts, 9.49 ERA). The 6-foot-5, 225-pound, left-handed power pitcher had been fixated on the strike zone.

Rather than overpowering hitters, he was aiming pitches in a bid to stay ahead of hitters and avoid walks. And that doesn't work in the big leagues. It gets you hammered ahead of a ticket back to the minors.

"Mentally, I've got to attack," Crosby said Saturday morning as he got ready for an unofficial bullpen session at Tigertown ahead of Tuesday's first formal workout for pitchers and catchers. "It was my plan after I got sent down. Just attack."

It worked — for a while. Crosby made two June starts at Triple A Toledo and had an 0.69 ERA. But he also walked six batters in 13 innings, which led to a bad July when he walked 20 batters in 30 innings. He had a calmer August (3.86 ERA, 10 walks, 22 strikeouts in 30 innings) but finished the season with a 1-7 record and a 5.07 ERA.

Those aren't numbers that will unsettle the Tigers' current starting crop. Rather, they are evidence that a prospect, only 24, needs to weave his talents and his psyche into a pitcher the Tigers can trust to pitch again in Detroit.

"It's not that he pitched tentatively, but that he was concerned so much in throwing strikes," said Jeff Jones, the Tigers pitching coach. "A guy with his fastball and breaking ball just has to be aggressive.

"We talked a little about it. I just think he was more concerned with getting the ball over."

The Tigers paid Crosby $748,500 in 2007 to say no to his University of Illinois scholarship and sign as a fifth-round draft pick. They saw size, athleticism (he was a football wide receiver) and, most of all, a power arsenal.

But he barely had signed his Tigers contract when he had Tommy John surgery on his left elbow. There have been plenty of signs in the years since that Crosby might be evolving in the fashion of left-handers who, more than right-handers, can sometimes require an extra year or two ahead of their graduation to the big leagues.

There have been signs, plenty of them along the way, that Crosby was en route. In 2009 at Single A West Michigan he was 10-4 with a 2.41 ERA. He looked last spring as if he might have blossomed. He was 2-0 with a 3.86 ERA in five starts during May (.191 opposing batting average), which made him easily promotable when Drew Smyly visited the disabled list.

Now, though, the Tigers appear uncertain about Crosby. They have dabbled with the idea of making him a reliever on the premise that short-innings assignments can help a pitcher's control. Of course, they had that same thought about ex-Tigers prospect Andy Oliver before giving up on Oliver and trading him to Pittsburgh during the offseason.

Crosby spent his autumn and early winter moving with his wife into a new home in suburban Chicago. He also has been working on, yes, mechanical issues.

"I'm staying on the rubber more," he said, speaking of the pitching mound's launch pad. "I was coming off too quick. I've got strong legs and I've got to be able to push off."

Tweaking that particular delivery sequence, Crosby believes, will help. It should allow his mid-90-mph fastball to bore into the strike zone. His curveball might then behave in more pleasing fashion. His change-up, too.

Give him a bit more time, said Crosby, a good-humored soul who doesn't mind snickering at his foibles

"I'm 24 years old, I'm still young, I'm a strapping young man," he said, with a grin.

It's an observation that, in reality, isn't comical. Jones happens to agree.

"He's getting older and more experienced," Jones said. "We expect him to have a good season. And a good spring training."

lynn.henning@detroitnews.com

twitter.com/Lynn_Henning

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130209/SPORTS0104/302090378#ixzz2KTipXMCw

-- Sparky Anderson
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Casey Crosby | P NEWS   Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:15 am

Top Prospects: Crosby, DET

02/01/13
00:37

2013 MLB.com Top Prospects: Casey Crosby has a three-pitch mix that would work well in the middle of a Major League rotation

-- Sparky Anderson
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Casey Crosby | P NEWS   Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:07 pm

Infection in foot has Crosby on hold

By Jason Beck and Paul Hagen / MLB.com | 03/02/2013 5:35 PM ET

LAKELAND, Fla. -- Casey Crosby came to camp with plans to be stretched out as the insurance starter at Triple-A Toledo, but his spring work is on hold for at least a couple of days because of an infection in his left foot.

Crosby was scheduled to pitch in relief in Saturday's split-squad game against the Pirates but was scratched after he had trouble throwing. The infection is on the back foot of his delivery, creating a mechanical problem.

"I couldn't even push off today," Crosby said.

Crosby doesn't expect the issue to last long, but he also doesn't want to try to pitch through it and hurt something else while trying to compensate.

Jason Beck is a reporter for MLB.com. Read Beck's Blog and follow him on Twitter @beckjason. Paul Hagen is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

-- Sparky Anderson
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Casey Crosby | P NEWS   Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:38 pm

Marte released as Tigers make first spring cuts

By Adam Berry / MLB.com | 3/12/2014 5:56 P.M. ET

LAKELAND, Fla. -- The Tigers made their first round of Spring Training roster cuts Wednesday morning, sending out eight players and unconditionally releasing right-hander Luis Marte.

Marte hasn't pitched for the Tigers since 2012, when he posted a 2.82 ERA in 22 1/3 innings over 13 appearances. The 27-year-old righty pitched in three games for Triple-A Toledo last year before undergoing season-ending surgery on his right shoulder. Marte was designated for assignment when the Tigers signed outfielder Rajai Davis this offseason.

Tigers manager Brad Ausmus said the decision to release Marte, rather than reassign him, was simply a product of the numbers game.

"He wasn't going to make the big league club, and it was a situation where there really wasn't a spot in Triple-A for him," Ausmus said. "You never want to tell someone that you're releasing them, but the truth is it's better now than later, [because] you have an opportunity to catch on with somebody else.

"He's a great kid, a classy kid. Worked hard. It just wasn't going to work here. Hopefully he can catch on in another organization."

Left-hander Casey Crosby and right-hander Melvin Mercedes were optioned to Triple-A Toledo, while right-hander Jose Valdez and catcher Ramon Cabrera were optioned to Double-A Erie. Right-hander Drew VerHagen, lefties Duane Below and Robbie Ray and catcher James McCann were reassigned to Detroit's Minor League camp.

Ausmus said he and pitching coach Jeff Jones were impressed by VerHagen's mound presence and ability, but the 23-year-old could use more experience. The same could be said for Ray, acquired in the deal that sent Doug Fister to Washington, but Ausmus added that the 22-year-old lefty also needs to refine his secondary offerings before he's Major League-ready.

"I was actually impressed with Robbie," Ausmus said. "He's one of the few guys who has -- we've talked about kind of a swing-and-miss fastball. It plays up a couple miles per hour on the radar gun. But I think it's important for him to not only go down and gain experience, but work on his secondary pitches -- specifically the breaking ball, and see if we can tighten that up. But I certainly liked how he pitched.

"He's definitely close. A lot of it's going to depend on the secondary pitches. If he commands his secondary pitches, he's going to be a Major League pitcher, because his fastball plays in the Major Leagues right now."

After their first wave of spring roster moves, the Tigers have 46 players remaining in Major League camp.

Adam Berry is a reporter for MLB.com. Follow him on Twitter at @adamdberry. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

-- Sparky Anderson
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Casey Crosby | P NEWS   

Back to top Go down

Casey Crosby | P NEWS
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1