Always A Tiger
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
Always A Tiger
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
Always A Tiger
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Always A Tiger

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to learn and talk about their Favorite Baseball Team, as well as just enjoy one another's company.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Brent Clevlen NEWS

Go down 
AuthorMessage
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

Aries Location : Ohio

Brent Clevlen NEWS Empty
PostSubject: Brent Clevlen NEWS   Brent Clevlen NEWS Icon_minitimeThu Dec 24, 2009 11:40 pm

Two For Tuesday, Clevlen Stretches It Out;

Hens Win Series Opener 7-2

Toledo opened the road series versus the Louisville Bats on Tuesday night with a convincing victory. Both teams are vying for the top spot in the I.L. West, a spot that was shared only three days ago. The Hens entered the series with a one game lead over the Bats and looked to push further away from their division rivals with a big win to set the tone for the rest of the series.

Toledo had scheduled LHP Casey Fossum to start in Tuesday's game, but after striking out ten or more batters in each of his last three starts, he was promoted to Detroit earlier in the day. The Hens needed a solid pitching performance and grabbed RHP Lauren Gagnier (0-0) from Single-A West Michigan. In his Triple-A debut, the righty got the job done, tossing four innings of one earned run ball to give way to the hot Toledo bullpen.

Almost as expected, the "Hammering Hens" brought their bats to make it easier on their starting pitcher. OF Brent Clevlen once again stole the show as he belted a first inning three-run home run to give the Hens the early 3-0 lead. The Bats chipped away at the lead, but Clevlen again blasted another two-run homer off of LHP Matthew Maloney (6-3) in the third to put the Hens up 5-2. Clevlen finished 2-3 with 2 HR, 5 RBI, and a walk.

The Toledo bullpen pieced together the victory after Gagnier's early departure did not qualify him for the win. RHP Anastacio Martinez, one of many shut down relievers as of late, tossed 1 scoreless inning. On major league rehab, RHP Fernando Rodney (1-0) pitched 2 scoreless innings in his first action since spring training to earn the win. RHP Denny Bautista and LHP Ian Ostlund also pitched scoreless innings to preserve the victory.

News & Notes:
This Clevlen Guy: OF Brent Clevlen has been doing it all... for the last forty games! With the first of his two homers Tuesday night, not only did Clevlen extend his hitting streak to 14 games straight (24-52, 6 HR, 26 RBI, 10 runs) he also extended his consecutive game on-base streak to 40. During the stretch, Clevlen is batting .375 (54-144) and has 11 doubles, three triples, 10 HR, 46 RBI, and 27 runs scored with an on-base percentage of .549.

Last edited by TigersForever on Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
https://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

Brent Clevlen NEWS Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brent Clevlen NEWS   Brent Clevlen NEWS Icon_minitimeThu Dec 24, 2009 11:42 pm

JUNE 2008

From the Tigers Website:

The Tigers also swapped reserve outfielders, placing Clete Thomas on the 15-day DL with a sprained ankle and recalling Brent Clevlen. Thomas injured his ankle during the recent series at Oakland. Clevlen returns to the Tigers for the first time this year with a .324 average, 13 home runs and 55 RBIs in 58 games for the Mud Hens.

I knew it was going to happen....I just didn't think it was going to be so soon! Good Luck, Brent!!
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

Brent Clevlen NEWS Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brent Clevlen NEWS   Brent Clevlen NEWS Icon_minitimeThu Dec 24, 2009 11:43 pm

06/06/2008 7:20 PM ET
Rebuilt approach benefits Clevlen
Outfielder gets call as Thomas goes on disabled list
By Jason Beck / MLB.com

DETROIT -- Tigers prospect Brent Clevlen went into the season a consistent bat away from another shot at the big leagues. A couple months later, he's getting his chance.

When outfielder Clete Thomas' sprained right ankle turned out to be severe enough to land him on the disabled list Friday, Clevlen was the recommendation of player development officials to get the callup. When the Indians set up their rotation to throw three consecutive left-handed starters at the Tigers, Clevlen fell into a position to get some at-bats.

"He's certainly a guy that deserves a shot," manager Jim Leyland said.

The way Clevlen was hitting at Triple-A Toledo warranted it.

Clevlen has been on Leyland's radar for the last couple years, but far more for his glove than his bat. Clevlen came up as a defensive replacement for the playoff run when rosters expanded last September, but he had just 10 at-bats, scratching out a single and striking out seven times.

He went into the winter as an offensive project, and hitting coach Lloyd McClendon worked with him in Spring Training to cut down on his long swing. So far, those changes have stuck.

"In Spring Training, I lowered my hands," Clevlen said. "I kept doing that from the start of the season."

The improvement is all over the stats line, but it's arguably best seen in the strikeout totals. He fanned 113 times in 90 games at Toledo last year, compared with just 71 hits. So far this year, he has more hits (69) than strikeouts (64), and he's on pace for far fewer strikeouts by the time the season's up.

Obviously, it's more than a quick bat. His .324 batting average is more than 100 points up from last year, while his OPS of 1.037 ranked among the International League leaders.

"He's been tremendous," Leyland said. "He's really made a lot of adjustments offensively, adjusted to hitting the breaking ball much better. He was on a tear down there."

Just as important, he stuck with the adjustments this year as he grew more comfortable with Triple-A pitching, seeing some of the same arms from last season.

"I had an approach to start the season and I didn't change it," he said. "In the past, I got out of what I wanted to do and couldn't get back to where I wanted to be."

This, obviously, is where he wants to be. How long he'll be up remains to be seen, but the way the Tigers offense is going, there could be an opportunity for him. He has to hit, and he'll get his chance.

Jason Beck is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

Brent Clevlen NEWS Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brent Clevlen NEWS   Brent Clevlen NEWS Icon_minitimeThu Dec 24, 2009 11:43 pm

Brent Clevlen NEWS Brent
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

Brent Clevlen NEWS Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brent Clevlen NEWS   Brent Clevlen NEWS Icon_minitimeThu Dec 24, 2009 11:44 pm

03/13/09 7:09 PM ET
Clevlen growing up as a hitter
In key spots, outfielder making contact, putting the ball in play

By Jason Beck / MLB.com

LAKELAND, Fla. -- It went down as another out in an 0-for-4 Friday afternoon for Brent Clevlen. It stood out as an example of the difference he seems to be taking to the plate.

Clevlen stepped to the plate with runners at second and third and one out in the sixth inning against Mets right-hander Darren O'Day, who quickly put him in an 0-2 hole. The situation was set for the kind of strikeout that has marked Clevlen's hitting over the past couple of years. The Mets were playing their infield back and giving the run with a big lead.

Instead, Clevlen said, he calmed down, shortened his swing and guarded for the breaking ball that had fooled him earlier in the game. He got it, but he put it in play for a groundout to short that allowed Scott Sizemore to score what ended up being Detroit's final run.

"They're playing back right there," Clevlen said, "and that was an easy ground ball up the middle and it gets the run in."

It also fits the profile of the situational hitting manager Jim Leyland wants to see more often from his hitters.

"That's what we're talking about. That's huge," Leyland said. "That's huge to see, because that happens a lot. If you hit a grounder somewhere [in that situation], you get an RBI."

Clevlen struck out in his final at-bat, trying to pull a breaking ball, but it marked just his third strikeout in 26 at-bats so far. Granted, it's Spring Training, the same stage where Clevlen hit .419 last year. Still, it's progress for him. He can feel the difference when he steps to the plate.

"I feel like my two-strike approach right now is as good as it's been," Clevlen said. "I have confidence that these guys aren't going to strike me out. I'm going to put the ball in play, make the defense make the play."

That confidence wasn't there in the past. Two strikes would not only tighten him up, but also have him trying to do more with a pitch than he had to. He hit .301 with runners in scoring position last year, according to minorleaguesplits.com, but he also struck out 55 times in 156 at-bats, similar to his overall strikeout rate on the season.

Clevlen went to winter ball in the Dominican League to focus on improving his two-strike approach. He came out of it with some confidence.

"I feel like I'm trusting myself to stay on the ball," Clevlen said. "With two strikes, I'm letting [the pitch] travel a little bit more and just trying to put the bat on the ball."

Now, Clevlen has to build some confidence in the coaches.

"He's had a real good spring," Leyland said. "He looks good. I think he's made a conscious effort to make some adjustments at the plate, and right now, obviously, it looks very good."

Leyland said later that he feels some players are pressing, trying to do too much because of the roster situation. That does not seem to be the case with Clevlen, who is out of Minor League options and would have to clear waivers to be sent back to Triple-A Toledo if he doesn't make the cut with the Tigers.

Jason Beck is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

Brent Clevlen NEWS Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brent Clevlen NEWS   Brent Clevlen NEWS Icon_minitimeThu Dec 24, 2009 11:44 pm

If Pirates swing trade, Monroe wouldn't be needed

Posted April 1, 2009 3 :17 PM

BRADENTON, Fla. — Craig Monroe took a pinch-hit at-bat today against the Red Sox, then quickly showered, dressed and left McKechnie Field in a grumpy mood.

Today is the deadline day for Monroe, the day when he can trigger the escape clause in his contract if the Pirates do not put him on the 25-man roster for opening day.

"Right now, I don't know what's going on," Monroe said.

That could be because the Pirates are interested in trading for another corner outfielder. The Detroit Free Press reported the Pirates are talking trade with the Tigers for outfielder Brent Clevlen.

This morning, GM Neal Huntington said the Pirates were "working through the Craig Monroe situation and we'll probably resolve it this afternoon."

Huntington will not comment on possible trade talks.

Clevlen, 25, is out of minor league options and is not expected to make the Tigers' opening day roster. In 73 career games in the majors, he's hit .233 with three homers and seven RBI.

The Tigers are interested in acquiring bench players and relievers.
Clevlen would be a younger, less expensive option than Monroe as a backup corner outfielder.

Monroe, 32, is in camp as a non-roster player. He leads the Pirates this spring with six homers and also has 13 RBI in 21 games.
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

Brent Clevlen NEWS Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brent Clevlen NEWS   Brent Clevlen NEWS Icon_minitimeThu Dec 24, 2009 11:45 pm

On Friday, the Braves signed outfielder Brent Clevlen, left-hander
Mariano Gomez, catcher Orlando Mercado and infielder Joe Thurston to
Minor League contracts with invites to Spring Training.
The team also
invited non-roster catcher J.C. Boscan to Spring Training.

Clevlen, who spent his previous eight seasons in the Tigers
organization, hit .265 with 16 homers in 128 games with Triple-A Toledo
this past summer.
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

Brent Clevlen NEWS Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brent Clevlen NEWS   Brent Clevlen NEWS Icon_minitimeThu Dec 24, 2009 11:45 pm

Proctor, Thurston head to Braves camp
Reliever, utility man lead list of team's non-roster invitees

By Mark Bowman / MLB.com

12/18/09 5:06 PM EST

ATLANTA -- Right-handed reliever Scott Proctor and utility man Joe Thurston headline the list of non-roster players who will be invited to participate in big league camp with the Braves in 2010.

Atlanta announced Friday afternoon that this upcoming season's list of non-roster invitees will include Proctor, Thurston, outfielders Mitch Jones and Brent Clevlen, left-handed pitcher Mariano Gomez and catchers J.C. Boscan and Orlando Mercado.

Proctor, who has made 262 career relief appearances, signed with the Braves in November with the understanding that he likely won't be fully recovered from Tommy John elbow reconstruction surgery until May. The right-handed reliever posted a 3.58 ERA while combining for 166 appearances during the 2006 and '07 seasons with the Yankees and Dodgers.

Thurston hit .225 while playing in a career-high 124 games for the Cardinals this past season. The 30-year-old utility man made 55 of his 66 starts at third base. Before this season, he had never played more than 18 games in a season at the big league level.

Jones, who gained his only Major League experience during a short stint with the Dodgers this past season, has long been considered a tremendous power source who has struck out too frequently in the Minors. But he showed better consistency while hitting .297 and compiling a 1.015 OPS for Triple-A Albuquerque this past summer.

Clevlen, who spent his previous eight seasons in the Tigers organization, hit .265 with 16 homers in 128 games with Triple-A Toledo this past summer. The 26-year-old outfielder has hit .233 with three home runs in 83 games at the Major League level.

Gomez returns to the Braves organization after going 8-4 with a 1.99 ERA with Triple-A Gwinnett during the 2009 season. The 27-year-old left-hander converted each of his eight save opportunities and was recognized as the affiliate's top pitcher.

Boscan, who played for both Double-A Mississippi and Gwinnett this past season, returns to once again serve as one of the extra catchers needed during Spring Training. He'll be aided by the 24-year-old Mercado, who hit .294 with two homers in 71 games with Arizona's Double-A affiliate in Mobile, Ala.

Braves pitchers and catchers will report to Spring Training on Feb. 19. The first full-squad workout will be held on Feb. 23.

Mark Bowman is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

Brent Clevlen NEWS Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brent Clevlen NEWS   Brent Clevlen NEWS Icon_minitimeSat Jul 31, 2010 9:51 pm

Flight delays Clevlen's big league return

By Pete Kerzel / Special to MLB.com

07/29/10 2:20 AM ET

WASHINGTON -- The Braves expected outfielder Brent Clevlen to arrive in Washington, D.C., about an hour after Tuesday night's 3-0 loss started. Turns out his flight from Atlanta was delayed more than an hour and Clevlen didn't touch down at nearby Ronald Reagan National Airport on time, so he didn't arrive at Nationals Park until the game was nearly over.

"I'm glad to be back playing," said Clevlen, who was activated from the 15-day disabled list Tuesday to replace the demoted Nate McLouth on the Braves' roster. "That's most important. It's more fun than just sitting around."

Clevlen hurt the big toe on his right foot on May 23 when he crashed into an unpadded portion of the wall at PNC Park in Pittsburgh after making a catch. He went on the DL the next day and missed 54 games.

"I'll try to maybe land a little higher on the pad [next] time," he joked. "It was a freak accident."

Clevlen hit .385 (5-for-13) in four rehab games with Class A Rome and Triple-A Gwinnett before he was summoned to replace McLouth. After the injury, he was shut down for almost a month before resuming baseball activities.

"I feel good," Clevlen said. "Even having those six or eight weeks off and getting back, my timing didn't feel that far off. After a few games, I felt good."
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

Brent Clevlen NEWS Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brent Clevlen NEWS   Brent Clevlen NEWS Icon_minitimeSat Jul 31, 2010 11:39 pm

Date_____Transaction
07/31/10Atlanta Braves designated LF Brent Clevlen for assignment.
Back to top Go down
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star
TigersForever

Brent Clevlen NEWS Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brent Clevlen NEWS   Brent Clevlen NEWS Icon_minitimeSun Oct 10, 2010 8:56 pm

08/05/10 -

Atlanta Braves outrighted Brent Clevlen to Gwinnett Braves.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Brent Clevlen NEWS Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brent Clevlen NEWS   Brent Clevlen NEWS Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Brent Clevlen NEWS
Page 1 of 1