Always A Tiger
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.

Always A Tiger

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to learn and talk about their Favorite Baseball Team, as well as just enjoy one another's company.

HomePortalFAQSearchRegisterLog in
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Share | 

Lions News

Go down 
AuthorMessage
TigersForever
Tiger All-Star
Tiger All-Star

Aries Location : Ohio

PostSubject: Lions News   Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:21 pm

Posted: Nov. 5, 2009
Ex-New Orleans DB joins Lions
David is rusty, but could see action Sunday vs. Seahawks

BY NICHOLAS J. COTSONIKA
FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

Another day, another DB.

The Lions continue to shuffle their secondary, signing cornerback Jason David and putting Demarcus Faggins (groin) on injured reserve.

Coach Jim Schwartz and his staff could play David as soon as Sunday at Seattle.

"We get a new guy every week, it seems like," defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham said Wednesday. "And it was funny, Jim asked last night or the night before: 'Has anybody talked to the new guy yet?' And both secondary coaches said: 'We met with him for 5 hours.'

"We're doing everything on the run. We'll see later on in the week how we're going to use him."

David has a lot of catching up to do physically and mentally. The Saints released him after their first exhibition. He said he tried out for the Browns and Seahawks soon afterward but failed both physicals. So he rehabbed a shoulder problem, worked out and waited.

"When people say, 'He was just literally on the streets,' that's kind of how I was," David said. "I was still trying to work out as much as I can and backpedal and stuff, but it's not the same as actually putting on the pads and strapping it up. ...

"You're never really prepared for the speed of the game. It's going to take me a minute to just kind of get my legs under me."

The Colts drafted the 5-foot-8, 180-pounder in the fourth round in 2004. He started for them for three seasons -- and started Super Bowl XLI -- before spending two years with the Saints. He has 16 career interceptions, including five last season.

"He's not very big, but he's got a knack for getting the ball," Cunningham said. "We need to do that. We only got one turnover last week, and we're shooting to get some more turnovers."

The Lions have intercepted five passes, one more than last season, but still are tied for 24th in the NFL this year. They have three interceptions by defensive backs, two more than last season, but still not good.

They are allowing opponents to complete 70.5% of their passes, second-worst in the NFL.

The secondary has been in constant flux -- in terms of the roster and lineup -- because of injury and performance.

The starting corners likely will be Will James and Phillip Buchanon again Sunday. Anthony Henry is practicing as a starter on special teams but not on defense.

But the Lions are coming off their best performance on pass defense this season. They held St. Louis quarterback Marc Bulger to 17-for-35 for 176 yards, no touchdowns and an interception.

"I think we're seeing improvement in the secondary," Schwartz said. "We need to stay on that track and settle it down and move forward for the second half of the season."

Contact NICHOLAS J. COTSONIKA: 313-222-8831 or ncotsonika@freepress.com. Check out his Lions blog at freep.com/section/blog21.

"If you have to choose between power and speed and it often turns out you have to make that choice, you've got to go for speed." Source: TV Guide Interview (April 3, 1982)
-- Sparky Anderson
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com

Lions News
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Always A Tiger :: Off Topic Area :: Favorite Sports And Teams :: DETROIT LIONS-
Jump to: